• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

DISNEY if you don't want the average Joe to stay at the parks just say so...

Status
Not open for further replies.
His and other executives compensation are tied to it. If cuts are required to accomplish their goals, so be it. It's business.

True. Accomplishing Corporate goals is fine. And I have no issue cutting employees and/or benefits to meet those goals. But when that happens, an equal sacrifice on the executive's part(i.e., their bonus) should happen as well. Otherwise ....It's (bad) business!

When I run the number$ with them and explain that they will have to plan their trips with a military like precision, that they will be in the Florida heat in long lines, eating low quality food and they will be paying premium prices, that they will be staying at very expensive hotels that no where near reflect the price paid per night except for the benefit of "Location" and they will be on the receiving end of disappearing customer service and Disney "Magic", they look at me like I am crazy.

We respectfully decline your application for a position in Marketing at The Walt Disney Company.

Regards,
R.A. Iger

:duck:

True. Accomplishing Corporate goals is fine. And I have no issue cutting employees and/or benefits to meet those goals. But when that happens, an equal sacrifice on the executive's part(i.e., their bonus) should happen as well. Otherwise ....It's (bad) business!

It's tough making those decisions that affect others....(it must be, because every time something like this happens at a some corporation or another, the press release has a quote from someone big making big $ saying that "this was a very tough decision.").....so, I say let them kept their bonus or whatever...after all, tough is tough.... :p

the only issue i have with resort fees if i have to pay for it they better then seriously start kicking out non resort guests during EMH right now its not something you pay for but if guests just stay and don't ride anything but shop eat and watch the shows thats still dumb at that rate, id just stay off site go park at disney springs for free parking, then id go to the park and have a blast then when emh started id have dinner and watch the fire works and go shop an wait till the good night kiss then id get back to disney springs get my car, and go back to wherever i was staying

Not talking about the rest of the world...just the USA......

because Americans don't care about poverty in the rest of the world.

Or I should say: we care more about dirt-cheap products than we do about the well being of those who make those products.

Everyone (dems and reps) is selfish who wants more for themselves. If people in Rio don't have access to running water that's not my problem.

If something isn't working and corrections need to be made, said changes need to occur whether they affect nothing but upper management, middle management, lower management, only front line CM's or what ever. What ever it takes.

You must have forgotten what the SURPLUS and Economical conditions were BEFORE 2001-2009.....things were MUCH better....

Nasdaq March 2000: 5,100
Nasdaq December 2000:2,500

a 50% drop doesn't sound like things were really that good. The facts show we were headed into recession before the president changed (look up gdp, consumer confidence, or any number of metrics), but you are free to believe whatever you'd like to believe.

Also there was never a surplus if you exclude ss taxes (which should never have been included as a piggy bank for non-ss spending). If you only counted non social security taxes and non social security spending we never had a surplus. Again, feel free to google this.

It's tough making those decisions that affect others....(it must be, because every time something like this happens at a some corporation or another, the press release has a quote from someone big making big $ saying that "this was a very tough decision.").....so, I say let them kept their bonus or whatever...after all, tough is tough.... :p

....yeah, have you tried running all the way to the bank? ;)

Disney's trend is to increase profits @ the expense of " the Average Joe ", whilst decreasing the front line CMs, driving down the value for even the " Wealthy Joe ". YET the Parks are FULL(and they are predicting MK reaching full capacity & closing on the 4 days after Easter Sunday, the resort rooms are booking @ high capacity, etc.
The nickel & diming is NOT enough to leave Disney with low Park crowd levels, or half-full Deluxe resorts.
SO maybe Disney will announce one day soon:

" To enhance guest theme Park experience, we are committed to full CM staffing @ the Parks, including @ all of the rides & attractions. Standby & FP+ lines will NO longer suffer from lack of full ride capacity due to the understaffing of CMs.
To accomplish this commitment to enhanced theme park guest experience, ALL theme park Tix will be available as FP+ benefitted. ALL previously purchased Tix are eligible for an upgrade to FP+ benefit status. ALL FP+ currently booked(MDE) will be
cancelled. ONCE previously purchased Tix are upgraded to the FP+ benefit level, FP+ selections can be made at 60 or 30 days out.
Upgrade & current Tix prices include the following increases: $350 for APs; $40 for 1-day Tix; $80 for 2-day Tix, $120 for 3-day Tix; $140 for 4-day Tix; $175 for 5-day Tix; $180 for 6 & 7-day Tix; $200 for 8, 9, & 10-day Tix.
Tix prices for the NON-FP+ level will remain the same @ this time. "

If the average worker makes a bad call and cooks and extra batch of fries before closing that doesn't sell, the worst that happens is they are told "Don't do that again please."

The CM working the queue at HM who lets 6 doom buggies go by empty because they didn't have guests stepping lively enough has zero real world consequences for their actions, or lack there of.

On the other hand the executives making the decisions risk not only their bonuses but their entire job (and future employment possibilities) by making bad calls or screwing up.

The average worker goes home after their shift and is "off". They don't have to be on call, they don't have to go home and continue to crunch numbers (which sucks BTW) and stay up all night agonizing about making the right decisions for not just the company but the stock holders, employees, guests... everyone.

While I'm not saying I agree with all executive compensation, I don't, the idea that jobs where you use your mind vs just your body are somehow "Easy" or "relaxed" is absurd. There is a reason why compensation increases for more responsibility, the greater the responsibility the more accountable you are held. Generally anyway. We certainly didn't see anyone really held accountable for the goldman sachs debacle but that's going off topic.

because Americans don't care about poverty in the rest of the world.

Or I should say: we care more about dirt-cheap products than we do about the well being of those who make those products.

Everyone (dems and reps) is selfish who wants more for themselves. If people in Rio don't have access to running water that's not my problem.
That is not what I am saying...don't get it twisted....you don't know how I feel about ANYTHING. I was simply talking about"1%ers" as concerns the "Filthy Rich Americans"that are running everything with their wallets,corporations etc....not poor disenfranchised folks ANYWHERE. Geez....

On the other hand the executives making the decisions risk not only their bonuses but their entire job (and future employment possibilities) by making bad calls or screwing up.

MolonLabe, this is not directed at you, but this quote touched a nerve of my feelings about how multi-level management works in large corporations and how this way may be more dangerous for Disney (and financial institutions) than other companies.

The problem I have as a guest and as a stockholder (not in Disney), is most executive bonuses and promotions are the result of short term numbers. IMO, these bonuses sometimes reward short term gains without a real understanding of long term effects. Time will tell if these cuts have a long-term effect on WDW's numbers and branding, but at some point both price raising and cost cutting will. By that time, those who were involved will have received their bonuses and maybe received promotions. Perhaps, the very same people will earn bonuses by "fixing" the problem they helped create. Those that are fired have likely have enough short-term successes on their resume to land on their feet, not to mention severance pay that may result. I think Disney is in a fairly unique position with its parks because of brand loyalty resulting from a perception as a company that is at least partially dedicated to providing "magical" vacations. This involves the building of some sort of trust that may not be as simple to regain by undoing what caused its customers to lose it.

That being said, we have a trip this summer and don't anticipate the changes so far to impact it very much, but I think that maximizing short term profits will hit their bottom line at some point and they'll have to do some damage control.

If the average worker makes a bad call and cooks and extra batch of fries before closing that doesn't sell, the worst that happens is they are told "Don't do that again please."

The CM working the queue at HM who lets 6 doom buggies go by empty because they didn't have guests stepping lively enough has zero real world consequences for their actions, or lack there of.

The average worker goes home after their shift and is "off". They don't have to be on call, they don't have to go home and continue to crunch numbers (which sucks BTW) and stay up all night agonizing about making the right decisions for not just the company but the stock holders, employees, guests... everyone.

While I'm not saying I agree with all executive compensation, I don't, the idea that jobs where you use your mind vs just your body are somehow "Easy" or "relaxed" is absurd. There is a reason why compensation increases for more responsibility, the greater the responsibility the more accountable you are held. Generally anyway. We certainly didn't see anyone really held accountable for the goldman sachs debacle but that's going off topic.

Please... Iger oversaw the person who put Meg Crofton(aka the cleaning lady)in a position to ruin the Magic for thousands. Pretty sure he got a nice fat bonus all of those hard years!! Show me some risk! How come his pay wasn't adjusted for that mistake? According to Pete, she's been placed on the Disney retirement farm or some place -as long as it isn't WDW. Sorry, I can't feel bad for a guy who pulls in 10M annual bonuses no matter how hard his decisions are ...respect him, absolutely -he's done a great job and as an investor who has quadrupled his investment I'm not complaining.

MolonLabe, this is not directed at you, but this quote touched a nerve of my feelings about how multi-level management works in large corporations and how this way may be more dangerous for Disney (and financial institutions) than other companies.

The problem I have as a guest and as a stockholder (not in Disney), is most executive bonuses and promotions are the result of short term numbers. IMO, these bonuses sometimes reward short term gains without a real understanding of long term effects. Time will tell if these cuts have a long-term effect on WDW's numbers and branding, but at some point both price raising and cost cutting will. By that time, those who were involved will have received their bonuses and maybe received promotions. Perhaps, the very same people will earn bonuses by "fixing" the problem they helped create. Those that are fired have likely have enough short-term successes on their resume to land on their feet, not to mention severance pay that may result. I think Disney is in a fairly unique position with its parks because of brand loyalty resulting from a perception as a company that is at least partially dedicated to providing "magical" vacations. This involves the building of some sort of trust that may not be as simple to regain by undoing what caused its customers to lose it.

That being said, we have a trip this summer and don't anticipate the changes so far to impact it very much, but I think that maximizing short term profits will hit their bottom line at some point and they'll have to do some damage control.

Take a look at the Boards of Americas top Companies ....yeah, right -stacked with CEO's of other top Companies. So, does anyone think they aren't helping each other pad each other's retirements? What CEO is going to vote against a nice big fat compensation package for his equal? NONE.... Which is why pay and better benefits don't filter down to the guy who burned the fries that one time. It wasn't always this way -I actually worked for a Fortune 250 Company whose CEO made a total compensation of around $300,000 maybe 10-15 years ago ...why so low(comparable were in the millions for a Company that size)? It was an employee-owned Company, so the board was made up of other employee owners with a vested interest. I don't have any issues with people making billions -but the people actually helping you earn those nice bonuses should be compensated as well. I suppose I was raised differently.....

Been reading some of the posts, thanks to everyone for your comments both positive and negative I'd liked them all at least we are talking about these issues!

Being able to go to Disney is a privilege, not a right. Not everyone in the world can afford it, they aren't supposed to. But, a lot of people who are on a budget are able to enjoy Disney, sometimes every year. People can complain about the price increases, lack of "upkeep" or whatever it is they want to complain about. Creating new attractions, lands, resorts, all of these things take time. And a LOT of it. Can you imagine how much time and how many people it takes to create these things? And no, they aren't just "things." They are masterpieces of art. Imagineers work diligently to perfect the guests experience in any thing they create.

A little over $100.00 to spend an entire day in a theme park, a DISNEY theme park is not unimaginable, it's reality. But it's not just a theme park, it's a place where kids and even adults dream of spending their time at, a place where families come back year after year to make unforgettable memories with their loved ones. A place where your little princess can meet her favorite princess, maybe even more than one of them! Where your little prince can meet Gaston, Jack Sparrow, and maybe even his favorite princess! A place where adults come to be children again, and not be judged for doing so. A place where you can take a two week safari, go into space, take a ride with Nemo & friends, design your own car, soar over California, meet 3 very friendly hitchhiking ghosts, take a journey through classic movies, and meet the guy who started it all, our beloved ole' friend Mickey Mouse. A place where you can explore the brilliance, creativity, detail oriented, family oriented man who created the most magical, happiest place on earth, Walt Disney!

Can you go to an amusement park and ride a roller coaster for less than $100.00? Absolutely. But, Disney doesn't just have "rides," or "roller coasters," they have attractions. Attractions full of imagination and story telling. Interactive queues and story lines that immerse you into what you're about to experience. Will you find employees at these other amusement parks? Sure. But you won't find cast members. Will you be a customer at these other places? Sure. But you won't be a guest. Cast members treat you like a cherished friend, not just another paying customer. You are treated like an individual, and you are celebrated!

When you look back at your life, you'll remember the memories you created and the emotions you felt. The amount of money you spent, or didn't spend won't determine how happy you were, or weren't. Life is all about your attitude and perspective. We must remember that Rome wasn't built in a day and we can't measure our memories with a dollar amount. It took Walt a lot of wrong turns, no's, failures, and TIME to create the number one vacation destination. You simply cannot rush perfection.

Being able to go to Disney is a privilege, not a right. Not everyone in the world can afford it, they aren't supposed to. But, a lot of people who are on a budget are able to enjoy Disney, sometimes every year. People can complain about the price increases, lack of "upkeep" or whatever it is they want to complain about. Creating new attractions, lands, resorts, all of these things take time. And a LOT of it. Can you imagine how much time and how many people it takes to create these things? And no, they aren't just "things." They are masterpieces of art. Imagineers work diligently to perfect the guests experience in any thing they create.

A little over $100.00 to spend an entire day in a theme park, a DISNEY theme park is not unimaginable, it's reality. But it's not just a theme park, it's a place where kids and even adults dream of spending their time at, a place where families come back year after year to make unforgettable memories with their loved ones. A place where your little princess can meet her favorite princess, maybe even more than one of them! Where your little prince can meet Gaston, Jack Sparrow, and maybe even his favorite princess! A place where adults come to be children again, and not be judged for doing so. A place where you can take a two week safari, go into space, take a ride with Nemo & friends, design your own car, soar over California, meet 3 very friendly hitchhiking ghosts, take a journey through classic movies, and meet the guy who started it all, our beloved ole' friend Mickey Mouse. A place where you can explore the brilliance, creativity, detail oriented, family oriented man who created the most magical, happiest place on earth, Walt Disney!

Can you go to an amusement park and ride a roller coaster for less than $100.00? Absolutely. But, Disney doesn't just have "rides," or "roller coasters," they have attractions. Attractions full of imagination and story telling. Interactive queues and story lines that immerse you into what you're about to experience. Will you find employees at these other amusement parks? Sure. But you won't find cast members. Will you be a customer at these other places? Sure. But you won't be a guest. Cast members treat you like a cherished friend, not just another paying customer. You are treated like an individual, and you are celebrated!

When you look back at your life, you'll remember the memories you created and the emotions you felt. The amount of money you spent, or didn't spend won't determine how happy you were, or weren't. Life is all about your attitude and perspective. We must remember that Rome wasn't built in a day and we can't measure our memories with a dollar amount. It took Walt a lot of wrong turns, no's, failures, and TIME to create the number one vacation destination. You simply cannot rush perfection.

It's not a privilege, it is a consumer product.

Then you didn't pay for the privilege, or else you would be a consumer. ;)

Ahhhh, it's semantics.
Some desire to always be right and argue their point. Me? Not the type. It's a privilege to consume all of its magic!! I don't see Disney as a choice, I see it as a necessity. I'm off to Neverland! Goodnight!!

"A dream is a wish your heart makes when you're fast asleep."

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter