Disney Hot Air Balloon?

cheryterese

DIS Veteran
Is the tethered hot air balloon still running at Downtown Disney? I can't find any info about it on the DTD Disney site. Thanks!

Is the tethered hot air balloon still running at Downtown Disney? I can't find any info about it on the DTD Disney site. Thanks!

Yes.

EXCEPT that it is not a "hot air" balloon.
It is a tethered "gas-filled" (lighter-than-air) balloon.

It's called, "Characters in Flight."

More info and photos HERE.

Winds can keep the balloon from launching, so don't by tickets until you're ready to board.

Location shown below-

DTD-WS-Sat-061009B.jpg

DTD-WestSide-052009b.jpg

The DTD balloon was a fun experience when I went on it about a year or so ago. You probably want to bring a regular camera with a decent zoom (rather than a cell phone camera) to get some good pictures. Also, I remember something about the experience being slightly discounted if you go before 11 am or something like that. Have a wonderful time =)

There was a recent groupon for it, too. I think it was a half-price groupon. I think you have to search the Orlando area deals to see if it's still available.

Is it working? I read on their website about the one in China have some difficulity so they grounded the one in Orlando.

Is it working? I read on their website about the one in China have some difficulity so they grounded the one in Orlando.

That info is long out of date.

After a few months of being grounded, Characters in Flight reopened in October of 2012.

Thanks again for the info - we went up on Tuesday right as the sun was setting and it was an amazing experience!

I wouldn't mind doing this except...... I'm really afraid of heights. Anyone else out there with this phobia that did it and loved it? How did you cope?

I wouldn't mind doing this except...... I'm really afraid of heights. Anyone else out there with this phobia that did it and loved it? How did you cope?

My husband is afraid of heights and he did NOT go up with us. Sorry, I know that's not helpful!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter