Disney & Henson: A Match Made in Family Entertainment Heaven

danielshooley

Earning My Ears
Hi everybody,

I was wondering if anyone here agrees with me that Disney should re-purchase The Jim Henson Company?

As we all know, 10 years ago last February, Disney bought the Muppets from The Jim Henson Company, but not the entire company itself. (Humbug!)

Disney's relationship with the Henson Company dates back to the early 1980s, when Jim considered, along with manager/friend Bernie Brillstein, considered owning Disney--a plan aborted after Michael Eisner took over Disney.

In August 1989, Jim Henson decided to sell off his Muppet characters to Disney; the week before the sale, however, tragedy struck.

In the early morning hours of May 15, 1990, Jim, aged 53, was voluntarily admitted to a local New York City hospital for routine throat surgery, less than 2 weeks after complaining of a sore throat during a break from filming a guest shot on "The Arsenio Hall Show." 24 hours later, on May 16, 1990, Jim went into Septic Shock--and died 20 minutes later. Rather than sue the hospital where he died, Jim's family settled out of court.

Though Jim's plan to sell the Muppets to Disney fell through until February 2004, Disney eventually announced on December 18, 1991, the week before Christmas, that it had bought Jim Henson Productions and its entire library up to that time, eventually releasing Jim Henson Productions on VHS Tape such as "Muppet Babies," "Fraggle Rock" and movies such as "The Dark Crystal."

In early 1997, Disney sold Jim Henson Productions to German-based company EM.TV (with distribution rights going to Columbia/Sony on VHS/DVD).

By 2002, EM.TV went bankrupt and sold back the Henson Company to Jim's 5 children (including son Brian) before the Muppets were sold to Disney.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter