Disney gift cards

Meganb2

Earning My Ears
Hello. I know you can pay your cruise with Disney gift cards but can I give the gift cards at guest services to pay for the gratuities and onboard expenses?

I think this was the best idea I've gotten from DIS BOARDS so far! (That and getting target gift cards from RAISE to buy my Disney gift cards.)

It feels great to have my cruise paid for, my gratuities, excursions, and activities covered, and some OBC for specialty drinks, souvenirs, pictures, and sundries. Now all I have to do is show up to enjoy it all!

If that's not a magic feeling, I don't know what is!

You can also call ahead of time and have them added to your account.

I know this will sound stupid, but can you explain that a bit more .... Is the positive of calling ahead with a GC so you don't have to wait at guest services? OR can we set that up at check-in while in the cruise terminal? Also, it's my understanding that if I use a GC for on board credit and we actually have $$ left over (crazy thought I know) I have to have the physical card present, correct? Can we use cash too? For example, if I don't want $$ left on a GC, can I start with a GC and then add cash to my account? This is all new to me as we used a CC last time, but have switched to all cash whenever possible so we are trying to avoid using a CC. TYIA for all of your help!!!

I know this will sound stupid, but can you explain that a bit more .... Is the positive of calling ahead with a GC so you don't have to wait at guest services? OR can we set that up at check-in while in the cruise terminal? Also, it's my understanding that if I use a GC for on board credit and we actually have $$ left over (crazy thought I know) I have to have the physical card present, correct? Can we use cash too? For example, if I don't want $$ left on a GC, can I start with a GC and then add cash to my account? This is all new to me as we used a CC last time, but have switched to all cash whenever possible so we are trying to avoid using a CC. TYIA for all of your help!!!
Yes, doing it ahead means you don't have to wait at Guest Services.

I believe the onboard account is set up on the ship, not at check in. Could be wrong.

Yes, you must have the gift card to apply back any unused :laughing: OBC.

Yes, you can apply cash to your onboard account.

Yes, doing it ahead means you don't have to wait at Guest Services.

I believe the onboard account is set up on the ship, not at check in. Could be wrong.

Yes, you must have the gift card to apply back any unused :laughing: OBC.

Yes, you can apply cash to your onboard account.

THANK YOU Princess Shmoo!!! You are always a wealth of knowledge!!! Cheers!

I just want to clarify, if we use Disney gift cards to add to our account, then that can pay for stuff like drinks, spa treatments and our excursions? Can the on board credits that I got through my travel agent be used for the same things?

I would add that even though the line can be long at guest services the last night they do seem to keep it moving pretty quickly. I had a gift card this last cruise I wanted to apply to our onboard account and even though the line was outside the queue I probably only waited 10-15 minutes.

Disclaimer-Don't count on that always being the case but so far it has been for me.

I just want to clarify, if we use Disney gift cards to add to our account, then that can pay for stuff like drinks, spa treatments and our excursions? Can the on board credits that I got through my travel agent be used for the same things?

That is correct. You use your onboard account for all the purchases you make onboard. It's used as your credit card basically. Stuff you buy from the gift store, premium drinks, excursions, spa treatments, even your gratuities.

Yes, your OBC from your travel agent goes into the same bucket.

Gift cards are a great way to save money. There's a whole other thread on this board about buying discount Target gift cards to buy Disney gift cards. You can also get discounted Disney gift cards at Sams Club (I believe $150 worth of gift cards is $143~. I'm actually headed over there now for that reason lol)

Last edited:
Sorry for the stupid question. If I use a couple of GC and have money left at the end...how do I know what GC the money goes on? Does it matter which one?

Sorry for the stupid question. If I use a couple of GC and have money left at the end...how do I know what GC the money goes on? Does it matter which one?
Technically, yes. It will be refunded to the last card used. And, if you used more than one card, any still left over (each card can only be refunded to the max that card was before), the second to last card will be used, then the third to last, as so on. For example, we put 6 Disney gift cards down on a cruise once, and had to cancel. Disney refunded the cards in reverse order that they were put on the account.

Technically, yes. It will be refunded to the last card used. And, if you used more than one card, any still left over (each card can only be refunded to the max that card was before), the second to last card will be used, then the third to last, as so on. For example, we put 6 Disney gift cards down on a cruise once, and had to cancel. Disney refunded the cards in reverse order that they were put on the account.

Thank you so much! I understand now

The other way you can do it is to consolidate your gift cards down to one on the Disney gift card site. That's what I did just now because I had 4 gift cards so instead of making 4 separate payments I transferred the balance of 3 of them onto one then made the payment.

I kept all my cards since I didn't know which card it would be refunded to. My check out statement (on the fish by my room) showed how much money was left over and which card it went on. I still checked online from home a week later to make sure and then threw out the other cards.

The other way you can do it is to consolidate your gift cards down to one on the Disney gift card site. That's what I did just now because I had 4 gift cards so instead of making 4 separate payments I transferred the balance of 3 of them onto one then made the payment.

That's a great idea. Thank you!

I kept all my cards since I didn't know which card it would be refunded to. My check out statement (on the fish by my room) showed how much money was left over and which card it went on. I still checked online from home a week later to make sure and then threw out the other cards.

I wasn't sure if I had to take the cards to guest services at the end of the cruise. We have always used credit cards but my husband wanted to save some money Thank you!

I definitely love bringing a few Disney gift cards to apply at Guest Services for extra items. I also use Disney gift cards to book my placeholder cruises and no issues. What I suggest doing (or what works for me) is I bring a mini Sharpie pen and I write on the gift card when I redeemed it and what for. If I used one to book the placeholder cruise then I put that or just Guest Services. As mentioned if you are refunded it will go to the last card used so it helps to know the date you redeemed them which is another reason why I add the date as well. So far, I think I've only received one small refund as I leave still owing a small balance to my c/c on file 95% of the time :-)

Heather

Sorry but do I set up a onboard account on the ship or can I do it before? And they I could apply the gift card balance to the account online? Or do you go to guest services the 1st day?

I may be wrong on this -- but I don't believe there is an "online onboard account" ahead of time. I thought your onboard account is not officially set up until you check in and get your room cards. However, you can call ahead and apply monies to your sailing to be used once onboard. They will show up on your account just like any onboard credits you've earned or gift cards you put onto the account. You can also add monies/gift cards/reward cards to your account at guest services. They cannot be added to your account at check in in the terminal, however; you must do that at guest services if you haven't done it ahead of time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter