Disney Gift Cards - Transfer balances from one card to another

westfield13

Mouseketeer
I just discovered that it is now possible to transfer the balance from one Disney gift card to another. Has anyone tried it yet? And then used the "new" card?

My husband and I have been "earning" gift cards for the past 5 years from various rewards sites. For those sites that didn't offer Disney gift cards as a reward, we would redeem a Target gift card and then "buy" Disney gift cards with it.

We are finally returning to Disney this fall (thanks in large part to the nearly $3,000 we have managed to earn).

Most of the cards are $25 - we also have $50 cards and a few $100 cards - plus some $10 cards that I earned from the Disney movie site.

Taking the advice posted on the DisBoards, my plan was to charge the table service meals to our room and then pay the balance for the room and food every few days by stopping at the front desk and using the gift cards.

I was uncertain how long this transaction would take, given that I would be using numerous cards each time. It would certainly be much easier/faster if I had large balances on just a few cards.

But I am nervous about trying to consolidate the funds. Was hoping that someone who has done this could share their experience.

Thanks so much!

Thanks so much! We have over 30 cards worth $2800( no dining plan) and I was wondering how to do this. So this works even if the card says $50.00 on it?

Last edited:
Just keep a Sharpie pen handy to write directly on the card. I like to identify which ones are my main cards--those holding the balance--but I also write on the other cards the date that I transferred/used them.

Awesome!!! I only have 4 cards but would like to condense them to two $1000 giftcards.

The majority of my cards transferred perfectly. I did have 4 $50 cards that I keep getting an error message on every time I put them in. It kept saying that they could not be transferred. At the moment I'm sitting on them and going to try in a few days (there may be a glitch). There is no real reason why these 4 cards would not transfer as far as I know. But otherwise, it's time consuming if you have a great number of cards but it worked well.

I just transferred 30 cards to 3..2 have $1,000 and one has $750. Thanks!!

Started transferring some of my gift cards tonight - it worked fine for several, but I'm having the same problem as Justlook3 with two of the cards - one for $25 and one for $50. I checked my notes and discovered that these two were bought at Target (using a Target gift card), but that shouldn't matter. I had other cards from Target - bought with Target gift cards - that transferred without any problems.

I guess the good news is that these cards are "valid" - the full balance appeared when I added them to the site. Will try another day to transfer the balance. Worst case, I'll take them along and use them in the parks when we tour the FW booths.

Anyone else running into any glitches with the transfer???

Has anyone used one of the consolidated cards to actually pay for anything yet? I'm super excited that we can do this, but there's a small part of me that will worry until I successfully use it for the first time. We're going to Disneyland in September and I plan to transfer enough to one card to pay for our dining and souvenirs. I could always use my credit card to pay if the card didn't work, but I'd lose out on the benefit of buying all the gift cards at a discount.

I checked my notes and discovered that these two were bought at Target (using a Target gift card), but that shouldn't matter. I had other cards from Target - bought with Target gift cards - that transferred without any problems.
And I know that's not the issue with mine as I never used a Target gift card for any of mine. Some were bought at Target but I think these were most likely bought at Kroger during a 4X fuel points promotion. And it gives you no info as to why they don't work. Like yours, they still show their correct balances. And I transferred other $50 gift cards with no problems. But oh well, I had 25 now I have 5.
I did keep my old cards but they do show up as having 0 balance, but it's always good to keep them in case something weird happens.

I also just combined 5 cards and now have just 1 for $250. Way better than having multiples.

I just tried combining my gift cards. I have one bought with cash at Winn Dixie and two bought with gift cards at Target. The ones from Target would not transfer to the one bought with cash. But then I started typing this and thought what about transferring the one bought from Target to the other one bought from Target. It worked! So now I have 2 GCs instead of 3!

I just tried combining my gift cards. I have one bought with cash at Winn Dixie and two bought with gift cards at Target. The ones from Target would not transfer to the one bought with cash. But then I started typing this and thought what about transferring the one bought from Target to the other one bought from Target. It worked! So now I have 2 GCs instead of 3!
I tried that with the ones that wouldn't transfer previously and success! Thanks for the tip. So now I have two cards. :-)

This is such a great tip! Thank you so much! I also did this with all my Target gift cards and it worked great. Turns out I had quite a few more cards that wouldn't transfer, so I kept one "target" Disney gift card as a primary and used that any time I came across a balance that wouldn't transfer. Now we have five cards to bring with us - instead of 45 - so much easier to keep track of - and it won't take hours to use those funds at the hotel front desk.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter