Disney Gift Cards Onboard

nearlyfallinstar

The line where the sky meets the sea? It calls me!
Can anyone verify that you are still able to use a Disney gift card in the souvenir shops while onboard? Was planning on giving gift cards to the girls to spend in the souvenir stores so it would be separate from our KTTW.

I could be wrong but I don't think you can. I think you can charge your KTTW then you can apply the gift card to your account.

Can anyone verify that you are still able to use a Disney gift card in the souvenir shops while onboard? Was planning on giving gift cards to the girls to spend in the souvenir stores so it would be separate from our KTTW.

I could be wrong but I don't think you can. I think you can charge your KTTW then you can apply the gift card to your account.

If so, it's a change. You've always (well, at least as long as I've sailed DCL) been able to use Disney Gift Cards directly in the gift shops. OR you can apply them to your onboard account and use your KTTW card.

OP, I'd suggest you contact DCL and ask (with the awareness that the person answering the phone may, or may not actually have the answer).

I know that you used to be able to directly use gift cards in the shops and as of last week, someone still was able to. I had someone contradict me on another thread, so I was wondering if the rules changed or if they were just assuming. I didn't want to spread misinformation by disagreeing if the rules did change. :confused3

I'm not going to worry about it too much. I'm planning on each of my girls having their own gift card with money they each earned to spend at the shops. If they get denied, I'll just have to add them to our onboard account. A pain, but not the end of the world!:thumbsup2 I'm not fond of calling DCL since I know the person on the phone may or may not know the answer!

DD used several to make a purchase on our first cruise in December...she had several that she hadn't spent in Disney World and couldn't find the "thing" that she just had to have so she saved for the cruise. She has wanted a Kate Spade purse for about a year, but this momma is cheap and doesn't understand spending $200 on a purse. So she sees a bag she has to have. I tell her to ask if they will take gift cards and if not I will "buy her gift cards" if that is what she really wants. Long story short my girl is now the proud owner of a Kate Spade bag bought with Disney Gift Cards.

The clerk, did have to take the cards and scan them in the main store, so perhaps that might be where some confusion came in on the other thread.

We were on the Magic last week. My DD used her Disney gift card to buy a mug at Mickeys Main Sail. We actually bought stuff together so they swiped the gift card first then put balance on my KTTW card.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter