• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney Gift Cards Limit?

esue72

Earning My Ears
Is there a limit to how many gift cards you can apply to your onboard account? I am figuring out my estimated expenses, and plan to purchase most of it in gift cards prior to the cruise. I wanted to make sure there wasn't a limit. Thanks!

We also stock up on gift cards for our Disney vacations. We will apply a few hundred dollars of gift cards to our account; when we get close to using them up we take more to guest services to activate more. If, in the unlikely event that you do not use up all of your money in gift cards, SAVE the Cards and they will put the remaining amounts back onto the cards to use again for future Disney vacations. If you do not use all the amount on the cards and need to put some back on, the longer you wait towards the end of the cruise, the longer the line will be at Guest Services. And a long wait at guest services is not fun. But you can use as many as you want!

We also stock up on gift cards for our Disney vacations. We will apply a few hundred dollars of gift cards to our account; when we get close tothe using them up we take more to guest services to activate more. If, in the unlikely event that you do not use up all of your money in gift cards, SAVE the Cards and they will put the remaining amounts back onto the cards to use again for future Disney vacations. If you do not use all the amount on the cards and need to put some back on, the longer you wait towards the end of the cruise, the longer the line will be at Guest Services. And a long wait at guest services is not fun. But you can use as many as you want!

Thank you!

If you're night owls, we went to guest services about midnight the 2nd to last night and there was no line.

This year I think I'm going to combine cards on the Disney site and just put that card on file early, expecting that I won't use the entire thing. Managing that one card will be easier than managing multiples.

I usually find quiet times at Guest services sneaking out a couple min early at dinner(which we skip dessert occasionally so this is easy) or leaving the shows quickly before the Cruise Director comes out. Do save your cards though. I had a applied some as our friends used our card to make purchsae in shops since I am gold and get 10% off. I thought they were just paying me cash, but then they went and just had the purchase moved to their account instead, so I had a small negative balance. I would thought they would have put the money back on the last card used, but they did not. Figured out easily which one it was on, but just be sure to keep all of them.

At the Disney Gift Card website, you can easily combine all your cards onto one card, then you're only carrying one card to Guest Services and in the event of a refund, you only need keep track of that one card.
Thanks for the tip!

How does this work? Sorry, I'm new to this!

The Disney Vacation Accounts are relatively new. I think they've been around for a year, maybe slightly longer.

Go to disneyvacationaccount.com. You can set up an account then fund it with gift cards or payments from a credit/debit card. As long as your account has be open for a minimum length of time, 120 days IIRC, you will get a $20 bonus Disney gift card for each $1000 you spend out of the account.

At the Disney Gift Card website, you can easily combine all your cards onto one card, then you're only carrying one card to Guest Services and in the event of a refund, you only need keep track of that one card.
Up to a maximum of $1,000 per card.

So this is relevant to my interests, as my wife and I have $625 worth of gift cards... in $25 increments. How does the process work, and does the balance get assigned to one of your existing cards, or is it put on a new card and mailed to you? We're leaving in 4! days, so I'm hoping this is still something we can do.

Thanks!

You just enter your first card (and I marked mine with a marker so I knew which it was) then transfer the rest to that one card up to $1000.

I used mine the next day for a deposit on a cruise so I assume the balance transfer is pretty much immediate

Awesome. That will dramatically speed things up once we are on board. We were dreading sitting there for 30 minutes swiping gift cards over and over again. :)

I have some questions about using GCs for the cruise:

1.Will Disney automatically refund the excess to the gift card, or do I have to go back to get that refunded?

2. If I'm in a 3-night cruise, what's the latest that I can bring in the gift cards?

3. Is there a way to add GCs prior to embarkation (I booked through a DU TA)?

4. Will they use first the OBC from DCL and my TA before using my GC?

If you're night owls, we went to guest services about midnight the 2nd to last night and there was no line.

This year I think I'm going to combine cards on the Disney site and just put that card on file early, expecting that I won't use the entire thing. Managing that one card will be easier than managing multiples.

I agree about combining into one card on the Disney Gift Card site. Plus do not destroy the gift cards for at least a month as you may get a refund along the way. This has happened to us in the past. Always check card balance before pitching out. Our grocery store runs occasional bonus gift card buys for gas, so you may accumulate them over time.

I have some questions about using GCs for the cruise:

1.Will Disney automatically refund the excess to the gift card, or do I have to go back to get that refunded?

2. If I'm in a 3-night cruise, what's the latest that I can bring in the gift cards?

3. Is there a way to add GCs prior to embarkation (I booked through a DU TA)?

4. Will they use first the OBC from DCL and my TA before using my GC?

1. Yes, they will automatically refund it. You shouldn't have to do anything, but it can take a bit of time. If they don't do it, you can call after a couple of weeks and give them a little kick in the pants and then they'll send you an email when it happens.

2. Well, in theory you could take them the night before disembarkation, but there will be a line. I would just put them on the room earlier in the journey when it's less busy.

3. Just call the main DCL number and give it to them to put on.

4. Yes, they use will the OBC from your TA and DCL first and then your gift card after that. They always use the non-refundable OBC first.

You just enter your first card (and I marked mine with a marker so I knew which it was) then transfer the rest to that one card up to $1000.

I used mine the next day for a deposit on a cruise so I assume the balance transfer is pretty much immediate

Thank you, :worship: Thank you, read your post, I was dreading taking 8 different Disney gift cards on my next trip, Went on the website, and put them all on one card! yay!:cool1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter