Disney Gift Cards at Target

dthogue

DIS Veteran
I went to Target yesterday to buy Disney GC for my daughters Easter basket and I didn't get the 5% red card discount. Did I miss it that Target is no longer giving the discount on gift cards?

I went to Target yesterday to buy Disney GC for my daughters Easter basket and I didn't get the 5% red card discount. Did I miss it that Target is no longer giving the discount on gift cards?
Did you only buy a Disney GC? And did only pay with your Red card?

Just trying to assess your data point.

Did you only buy a Disney GC? And did only pay with your Red card?

Just trying to assess your data point.

I bought a bag of Easter candy, a pack of tissues and 3 $50 Gift Cards with my Target Red Card, only got the 5% off the candy and tissues

I know someone else who had the same problem about a week ago. I think he went to customer service and they adjusted it. Seems to be intermittent with some people having problems and others not. I’ll see what else I can find out.

It's still advertised as a benefit of having the RedCard, complete with the image of a Disney GC, so it's likely an IT glitch for now. I'm not liking the thought of what they may be trying to update that caused the glitch, so I'm trying not to think about it.

It's possible that maybe the type of GC you bought was misclassified in the system so it looked like it was excluded. Maybe it's only happening to the $50 ones? Have they changed the packaging or bar codes or anything recently? Hopefully it's just a bad batch since the issues have been intermittent.

I bought a Red Robin gift card today with no discount.
The cashier gave me her guesstimate that, “Target was just losing too much money”. :mad:

Didn't take the 5% off of the $25 Disney gift card I bought today either. Still works online so it's all very strange.

The advertisement for the 5% off ‘entertainment cards’ came with my Target statement today. It has a big Disney gift card pictured above the info.

I called customer service and spoke with the gift card department and she told me that Target has never given the 5% discount for gift cards, ever. I told her that I had purchased gift cards for many years and always got the discount. I also mentioned that you could buy them online with the discount and she told me I was wrong. Asked to speak a supervisor and she informed me she "was" the supervisor. Very upset with target right now.

I called customer service and spoke with the gift card department and she told me that Target has never given the 5% discount for gift cards, ever. I told her that I had purchased gift cards for many years and always got the discount. I also mentioned that you could buy them online with the discount and she told me I was wrong. Asked to speak a supervisor and she informed me she "was" the supervisor. Very upset with target right now.

Wow, just wow, I'd have asked to speak with her supervisor, she has to have one - after pointing out that it's clearly listed as a benefit of having a RedCard. It's advertised all over the place that you get 5% off specialty gift cards, and conveniently for us, even using a Disney Gift Card as the image for that benefit. Hopefully you got her name and you can send an email to express your displeasure at having such a uniformed member of their management staff speak to guests that way. If she really didn't know that she shouldn't be answering phone calls let alone be a supervisor.
Have you called the RedCard customer service? I'm not sure if they'd know any more but since it's a benefit of using the card they should be made aware it's not actually working as they advertised. Maybe they can issue you a credit or send you to the proper group to do that.

I'm getting a similar experience. Have been using my Target Red Card (debit) for over a year, which I specifically got to save money on Disney Gift Cards. Went to Target today to buy a couple of pillows, so I picked up $150 in Disney Gift Cards while I was there. Used my Target Redcard to purchase and did not get the 5% off of the Disney Gift Cards, only the pillows. Customer Service was clueless. Talked to the manager who tried to tell me that there has never been 5% off, and that all my transactions over the last year were a fluke or a mistake. I told her I wouldn't normally be buying other things at Target without buying Disney gift cards as well, and could just as easily have gone to Bed Bath and Beyond for my pillows today.
She claims it has been a mistake that for over a year, I've gotten 5% off the Disney gift cards. Something is fishy.

Next week's add even has "save 5% on every day on specialty gift cards when you use your RedCard" with a picture of a Disney Gift card, google play and netflix.

She claims it has been a mistake that for over a year, I've gotten 5% off the Disney gift cards. Something is fishy.

Sounds like Target just re-coded their system this past week to stop giving the 5% in-store. It's been available as in-store for a lot longer than a year - I've been getting 5% off for at least 4 years, and I'm pretty sure it was around awhile before that.

Sounds like Target just re-coded their system this past week to stop giving the 5% in-store. It's been available as in-store for a lot longer than a year - I've been getting 5% off for at least 4 years, and I'm pretty sure it was around awhile before that.

I'm thinking something similar to that. What is weird, though, is: a) once I sat down with my receipt and did some math, it looks like what I paid WAS with the 5% discount, including the gift cards, though nowhere on the receipt does it indicate such, not even where it says my Redcard saved me $x.xx.
Also, the math on the receipt was all over the place, with line items not adding up to the subtotals (which is why I think they just took the 5% off the gift cards)
also weird b) why would the manager INSIST that they have never allowed 5% off of Disney Gift Cards? Poor training, I think.
I have a note into Customer Service to check.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter