Disney gift cards and cruising

AndreAggie

DIS Veteran
Sorry if this has been asked before, but I'm assuming you can you use Disney gift cards onboard the ships? Am I correct??

Definitely. We used gift cards for my daughter so she did not have to carry cash. She kept track of her expenses, then would go to guest services to pay her bill. It is a great option instead of cash.

Awesome! We got the Disney credit card and it came with a promotional $200 Disney gift card. Between that and onboard credit, we should be covered now.

Gift cards can be used in the shops and at Guest Services to pay on your on board account. They cannot be used to purchase things outside of the gift shops such as alcoholic beverages, smoothies, snacks at the theaters, etc. Those things must be paid for with your KTTW card and then you pay your on board account with the gift card at Guest Services. I'd recommend adding the gift card to your on board account towards the beginning of your cruise rather than waiting until the last night when Guest Services is really busy. You can also call DCL and have the amount of the gift card added to your on board account before your cruise.

What happens if I add it all to the account and then don't spend it all?

It can be refunded. Save the gift card because they will refund it to the gift card. Or you can wait until closer to the end of your cruise and take the gift card to pay off your account balance. I just wouldn't wait until the last night.

I don't know...we used the cards to pay the existing expenses. We did not apply the cards ahead of time. They were kept in the safe until we needed to use them to pay off the bill. We did have a card we did not use the full amount. They deducted what was needed and the balance was left on the card for use at another time. Hope that helps!

I usually end up wit a few gift cards. If you have a travel agent they can call ahead of time and have them applied to your on-board account. I think you can also dothis as soon as you board through Guest Services (butI find it easier to haveit done in advance) It's great! Like other's have said, if you don't use it, they will apply it back onto one of the cards, so hang on to them.

I don't know...we used the cards to pay the existing expenses. We did not apply the cards ahead of time. They were kept in the safe until we needed to use them to pay off the bill. We did have a card we did not use the full amount. They deducted what was needed and the balance was left on the card for use at another time. Hope that helps!
You can do it either way. You can apply the gift cards to your onboard account, and, if there are any funds left over :laughing: they will be applied back to the gift cards (in reverse order of how they were applied to the account). Or you can just wait until the end of the cruise and go to Guest Services and use them to pay down the account (much like at a store).

We had a few Disney gift cards as wedding gifts when we went on our last cruise. We just stopped by Guest Services when we boarded the ship (got lucky and had no line). They set up our account to use our on board credit, then the gift cards and then the credit card. With it being our honeymoon, and 1st Disney cruise, we had no chance of having leftover funds on the gift cards. :)

I always keep an approximate running total in my head and when we reach an amount I have a gift card for, I swing by Guest Services and pay it off. I usually have a few gift cards in varying amounts so I just apply them as we go.

What happens if I add it all to the account and then don't spend it all?

:rotfl2:Don't spend it all? That's a good one! :laughing:

Oh, you're serious? Then, as others have said, the money goes back to the cards that they came from. If you used a big pile of cards, good luck trying to figure out which cards have how much on them. Much easier to just spend it all.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter