Disney Genie Is Now Live Post Your Hints and Tips

All of my dining reservations are gone on the website, and I haven't been able to find them on the app. Luckily I copied them all down earlier. I'm sure they will be back in the next few days. Hopefully, anyway. My savi's reservation is gone, too. Are we supposed to find dining reservations under "My future plans"?

My park reservations are still there.

On-the-ground report: bought G+ the moment it was available. Bought the ILL for ROTR and rope-dropped, so we got to ride twice in a row, which was fun.
Booked a LL for Smuggler’s Run, and by the time we got there, the system had crashed and took all of our dining reservations with it. Went to guest services at 10:30 am, stood in line for about 15 minutes and then was told by a CM to “go ride some rides”, get out of line, and check back later.
Saw reports they were offering paper passes, so we headed back after lunch. Stood in line at Guest Services for about 35 minutes for the person at the window to tell me there wasn’t anything they could do for us and to maybe check back around 2pm.
Got a notification on the app around 2:30 telling us to go back to city hall. They took our information and gave us two pre-loaded $20 gift cards as our refund. Guess they made sure they still have our money at the end of the day.

What a flop today. I usually give Disney benefit of the doubt but come on....

Anyway.. I wouldn't base anything off today.

before Covid there was someone on this board that studied maxpass patterns. Obviously the pay to ride will change the patterns but I wonder if we could d some of that up.. I bet we see similar patterns.

I used genie+ for all 5 days of WDW trip and these were my big take aways:

use the my day page to select my priorities so they go to the top of my tip board.

it isn't always best to book the ride that runs out the fastest- especially if they run out very first thing.Not sure this will happen at Disneyland but it might. If you book and get a late return time you are locked out for 2 hours.

example: at WDW slinky dog dash runs out often within the first couple of minutes. Booking it first sometimes led to late evening return times. That means that person couldn't book again for 2 hours after park open. I decided to not use it to book slinky dog, instead I rope dropped slinky and made
My first selection for a ride with a quick return time. Once I scanned into that first ride I booked another... folks who had a late return time were still locked out while I was on my second selection.

while you have to be in the park to start genie+ you don't have to be in the park to continue genie+. Use your afternoon pool breaks to stack for the evening!

We got G+ as soon as we were in the Park. It saved us 30 mins on Haunted Mansion before the crash. We got paper passes t/o the day with no problem when we showed that we paid for G+. We didn't need the paper pass for Smuggler's Run - the cast member checked our G+ right at the entrance and put us in the LL. People who bought individual LL for RotR were righteously cheesed - that seemed like a huge mess.

The Genie listed wait times were sometimes way off.

While at daughter’s place near campus, had issues with the app this morning. My Ipad updated the app, both phones did not. Couldn’t see how to buy Genie+ so decided to figure it out once we arrive. With MaxPass was easy, walk in, open app, add MaxPass. I figured, surely that would be the solution.

We Arrived at 11. Asked a CM at a merchandise kiosk how to buy or where to go to ask to purchase Genie+. Very angry woman who is leaving the park tells me ‘don’t bother, it’s not working, I just wasted $60‘. Sure enough a CM outside of City Hall confirms this, app is crashed, not selling anymore. At least we found out before we purchased.

Quick adjustment, we are back to plan B. Plan A had been one last visit before Genie+ while taking advantage of virtual queues (we had great luck 3rd week in September scoring each time we tried - 3 times for ROTR, and 1 time for Web). Then DL went to all standby. Okay, plan B. Then 2 days ago DL announces Genie+, cool, plan C. Nope, just kidding, back to plan B.

We head to BTMRR posted wait 30 minutes (jumped to 40 while we were in line). We were on ride in 22 minutes. Indy next. Posted wait, 25 minutes, on ride on 27 minutes. Smugglers run 2x single rider, walk-on both times and we got to ride together both times … as pilots! Found CMs playing a Batuu Card game and they invite us to join. Really fun interaction. Lunch at Docking Bay. Easy mobile order and pick up was fast. Remarkably uncrowded. Decided we were going to take advantage of late night so thought we’d head to hotel to finish checking in then head back to DL around 6 tonight. On the way out, Splash showed a posted 35 minute wait. Why not we thought, better now than at night. Good call. We were on in 5 minutes … then we were soaked! Worst soaking we’ve ever had. Left Disney at 3. In our 4 hours we had 5 rides, fun with CMs, and lunch.

Keep in mind we were not trying to hit Disney hard, just relax and enjoy our time. With 2 relatively inexpensive magic keys, we are trying a new approach. Go with the flow and enjoy what the day brings. It’s had its moments, we are fighting our commando habits and the constant changes to our plans have been ‘interesting’, but nothing that has really been deal breaker. If we were here with the whole family and their significant others as we plan to do in May, we’d likely be frustrated with the constant changes and app crashing. Here’s hoping things get better and issues resolved quickly.

Now we are back at hotel with a whole other host of issues, but that’s another story. Will head back to DL in an hour or so and expect to have a lovely night.

Curious what they do tomorrow. If this was still AWS related, which I wouldn’t rule out, they maybe have an ok day tomorrow. But if it wasn’t… do they dare turn it on again?

I wonder if Genie+ is going to run better or worse than Rise for the next few months.

Is it bad I’m glad I was in the park last week lol. I knew this was going to be a disaster. I was quite happy with standby times last week.

Sounds like a party! I have family going the next two days, and I'm wondering if they should just skip it... I'll be there Friday, and I'll probably try it and see what happens!

Back at hotel after a early morning - today is a bonus day for me since I originally wasn't flying into Anaheim until tonight so hey was interesting to see how things went. Here's my recap.

Had alarm set for 6am , decided nope too tired and left Park Vue Inn at 8:25am. Inside park by about 8:45am , took about two times to get the purchase to go through for Genie+ and get confirmation. Make first selection for HM for 9am. Scan into HM by 9:10am , try to make another selection and just keeps erroring out. Come off HM to the kiosk and see a long line , assuming it's Genie + related and I was right.

Basically got overloaded ( I expected this) so tried to check often but went on with my day.
Arrived at smugglers run and showed I had LL purchased on my phone and they waved me in saying that was enough for them , same with IASW. I then caught the taping of the parade at 130pm , gor Gibson girl and went back to hotel.

Around 4pm decided to randomly check and I coukd book things again. Given almost all the LL were near instant or within 10 minutes return , I don't think many checked or were able to purchase before it all went down.

From 4:45pm to 5:15pm did both Guardians and Monsters Inc. Guardians had a posted wait of 60 minutes and Monsters Inc about 15 just fyi. Due to meeting up with several coworkers and having a surprise dinner at Storytellers didn't go back but still showed options to reserve as I type this.

Yes this is a "failed" launch. Yes I would do it again. No I would not get it everytime but plan it around one or two days I want to maximize my time and photos. Just wanted to share:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter