Disney Genie+ and ILL$ Details & FAQ - Launches 10/19 at WDW, Paid "FastPass" at WDW and Disneyland (date TBD)

Do you have to pay for genie plus and then extra for 7D or can you just buy 7D without having genie plus?

UPDATE: Some details on the new Genie and Genie+ posted on Carlye Wisel's instagram
Notable that she seems to confirm there will be no annual pass option for Genie+ (purchase Genie+ for the entire year like MaxPass had for $100) so it is always $15 per day per person (or $20 if you're in Disneyland). That is significant imho and will make it much more expensive for AP holders.

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2021/08/introducing-disney-genie/
https://www.wdwinfo.com/disneylandc...ased-regarding-disney-genie-coming-this-fall/
The part we're most interested in is the paid Fastpass - now called Genie+ service which seems similar to Disneyland's MaxPass - but it is $15 per day per person at WDW, $20 per day per person at Disneyland. However it seems to only include "Tier 2" attractions. For E-ticket attractions, it sounds like you will need to pay for individual attraction selections - but you can only get 2 of those per day it seems.

For even more convenience and flexibility, there are two other options for enjoying our theme parks, through a queue we are introducing called the Lightning Lane entrance that also saves you time in line:

• Disney Genie+ service (available for purchase): For the price of $15 per ticket per day at Walt Disney World Resort and $20 per ticket per day at Disneyland Resort, choose the next available time to arrive at a variety of attractions and experiences using the Lightning Lane entrance. You can make one selection at a time, throughout the day – from classics like Haunted Mansion to thrill rides like Big Thunder Mountain Railroad and newer favorites like Millennium Falcon: Smugglers Run (attractions subject to limited availability). This convenient option is the next evolution of the fan-favorite Disney MaxPass service from Disneyland Resort. Disney Genie+ will also include Disney parks-themed audio experiences and photo features to capture your memories – augmented reality lenses for those visiting Walt Disney World Resort and unlimited Disney PhotoPass downloads from your day if you are visiting Disneyland Resort.
  • Individual attraction selections (available for purchase): Schedule a time to arrive at up to two highly demanded attractions each day using the Lightning Lane entrance – like Seven Dwarfs Mine Train at Magic Kingdom Park and Radiator Springs Racers at Disney California Adventure park (subject to limited availability; attractions not included with Disney Genie+). Pricing for this option will vary by date, attraction and park and will be announced closer to launch.
Lightning Lane selections will be made on the same day of your visit and can be used across multiple theme parks, great for those who love the Park Hopper option. Attractions continue to offer a traditional standby queue, or a virtual queue at certain attractions like Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance – to maximize flexibility.
Goodbye staying on property, hello cheaper and nicer off-property accommodations. Goodbye DVC.

The saddest part of all this is that Disney now controls the ability to push people from srandby to paid fp.

Why is the wait for space mountain 2 hour on a random September weekday? Well its actually an incentive for them to now have less staff, do more "maintenance" and run less cycles as that noe incentivizes people to spend money.

Im out, getting rid of my AP and selling DVC.

This is where TouringPlans/Lines is going to prove extra useful.

So if my family of 5 have a 6 day hopper pass, and I did this each day I would be paying an extra $450 on top of the $2300 I already spent on the tickets.... and then if I decide to pay for the E tickets that's even more... big giant yikes.

Right? I keep picture executives sitting around a table, talking "sure...I think a family will be happy to pay for this". Just goes proves to me how out of touch they are with their customer base and the immense difference between "us and them".

Right? I keep picture executives sitting around a table, talking "sure...I think a family will be happy to pay for this". Just goes proves to me how out of touch they are with their customer base and the immense difference between "us and them".
it reminds me of the scene in Jurassic Park where they are sitting around the conference room table, and the lawyer says "People will pay whatever"

its true..they will. for those of us who have an issue with it, we'll just have to wait for a "coupon day".

I have been reading that if people are going to purchase this they will cut back in other areas - fewer table service restaurants, shorter stays, staying off site. Disney may rethink this in a few years.

My plan is to cut back on Disney altogether and go other places.

I think that's what we would do. I have been saving for a trip for either next spring or fall and was hoping to make a big splurge and do a night at the Polynesian (never stayed at a deluxe and an entire stay in one is too much). But I think it would probably be more like an Orlando vacation, stay at an airbnb or Bonnet creek, do 2 days at Disney and the rest of the week doing other stuff like GatorLand, Universal, etc. They would lose dining, resort and revenue from the additional days, but as long as I'm the minority then that is what they are ultimately trying to achieve - lower attendance, same income. They are just going to have to find out exactly where that line is.

Do you have to pay for genie plus and then extra for 7D or can you just buy 7D without having genie plus?

From my understanding, the paid attractions are separate from the 15$ add-on one-at-a-time. ie. yes you can just purchase 7D without paying for the other services. Remember that you can only book a max of two 'tier 1' paid attractions per day

Going to be interesting to see if this actually generates any new revenue for disney or if it just shifts peoples spending from i used to buy x amount of merchandise now i will buy y amount less to cover the cost or people switching from deluxe to moderate or moderate to value etc to offset the cost of Genie+ etc. I guess Genie+ has a much higher margin than the other spending so in theory it would still benefit them?

Going to be interesting to see if this actually generates any new revenue for disney or if it just shifts peoples spending from i used to buy x amount of merchandise now i will buy y amount less to cover the cost or people switching from deluxe to moderate or moderate to value etc to offset the cost of Genie+ etc. I guess Genie+ has a much higher margin than the other spending so in theory it would still benefit them?

The thing with this is, there is no overhead so their profit margins are going to be larger. They'd rather you spend the money on this intangible service than on a stuffy they already paid money to put in their stores. That said, they also spent a buttload I'm sure on developing this thing.

We've been lucky in life, we make a ton of money and we aren't afraid to spend it. But the last few changes have priced us out of what we're willing to spend at Disney. We like e-tickets and being in the park at night. For our family of 5, to enjoy the same vacation we had in 2015, we'll have to spend a few hundred per day for Genie and LL and then nearly a grand per for after-hour events? Luckily DVC resale prices are still high.

We talked about this last night as a family at dinner. We arent booking disney until 2023 now because of all of this, but when we do go back, we arent increasing our budget a penny. We'll cut from souvenirs spending, or cut a day off of our trip.

My 9 year old actually was pressing hard for Universal instead of Disney for 23. We're going to wait until the third park opens, so when we go back in 2025, it might not even be Disney now. We've moved from every year at disney, to every other year now.

So if my family of 5 have a 6 day hopper pass, and I did this each day I would be paying an extra $450 on top of the $2300 I already spent on the tickets.... and then if I decide to pay for the E tickets that's even more... big giant yikes.
Stay offsite - will save thousands to pay for all that, Disney is really driving us off property.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter