Disney Freak Now Universal Convert!

meandthree

Mouseketeer
We just returned from our first visit to Universal and I must say I don't think my kids will consider going back to Disney again:sad2: We stayed at the Hard Rock Hotel and had the most wonderful time. I have to tell you, their staff blew me away. I contacted the concierge before we arrived and they arranged to have some items from their store placed in our room along with the rice krispie treat goodies which I highly recommend! They also put an album by the goodies that said Rock On and had my kids names on it. Amazing. The pool was great and the walk to Universal was so nice. We were all impressed with the park themes and the attention to detail. We were there for five days and that was the perfect amount of time to really enjoy both the hotel and the parks. We rented a cabana for three of the days and would definitely do it again if we go in the middle of the summer. Overall a fabulous experience.

After going to Disney since out kids were 1 1/2 and 4 months old, now 13 1/2 and 18 we now have AP passes to US.
Disney has things that really need to be addressed, over the last 15 years it has gone downhill. We've stayed on every property (going 3-4 times a year), for 2 weeks at a time!
The staffing has sunken to an all time low-the standards on everything, including giving free (crap) food and lessening these vacations for everyone.
Everyone who has been going for years, knows the lows that Disney has sunk, it's a shame,but the newest park on the block, took advantage, my kids have AP to DisneyQuest, still, but we always go to US.
Cleaner, more Professional Staffing and Mgt. The hotels are fantastic & clean.
There's more adult things to do as well.
(more than drinking I 'll add). The hotels feature fine dining, shows, singers, etc.
After so many years of seeing changes, I am happy to agree that US offers alot and is has to try even harder, and they have suceeded at both.
I was in the hositality industry for 12 years and am very picky, know what to expect, and now as john q. public and I am paying out of pocket, I am getting my $$ worth at US.

Have fun!

Less than 2 weeks to FL, for weeks!:woohoo: :3dglasses :cool1: :thumbsup2

What a nice thread to read for a change!!! So much nicer than "We went to UO, but it wasn't like Disney, staff were rude, too many thrill rides and was too small- were not going back!"

Welcome to the dark side and I'm so happy to head you had a fab holiday!

Welcome back Meandthree - we are in the same boat. We are heading back to Portifino for our third stay this year in two weeks! Our first stay was last December and we fell in love with the place!

Mari anne - we too have stayed at every resort on disney property many times and will not return. We have our happy memories of the 1970s and 1980s but it has sunk to a new now lately, you can not compare Universal to Disney anymore - Universal is incredibly better now! I think the ones really unhappy with disney are the ones who "remember it when."

Welcome back and welcome to the dark side! ;) Glad you had a great trip. Did you post this same info on the disney side of the DIS??? Let THEM know you had a great time....oh, be sure to wear your "flame retardant suit" too :rolleyes1

I consider it and the beach my 2 favorite places on earth. Glad you had fun. How could you not at the greatest place on earth. Next time try the Royal Pacific or the Portifino. Both are very nice I like them better than the HR but some prefer the HR. And I'm a musician so go figure.

I just love the tropical themeing of the RP and the Portifino is sooooo elegant. I'm there next week cant wait.

I took my family over to Portofina to walk around but they think the Hard Rock is the bee's knee's. Maybe after staying there a few times they will want to branch out but for now they wouldn't even consider anything but the Hard Rock!

Hey Spidey7- when are you arriving? We will be at Portifino in two weeks! It is our favorite place in the world! We looked at HRH during our last stay but my husband did not care for it(go figure- he is a musician too). His favorite is RPR with PB a very close second. BTW- what beach are you talking about?

The stories up above are what is usually posted in this forum. Disney fanatics who have been brainwashed taking their kids year after year starting at an early age. The brainwashing starts when the kids are babies because most parents make the baby room mostly Disney.
The cycle continues until the kids are old enough to ride the roller coasters at IOA and hear about it from their friends. Then "a whole new world" opens up and people have a great time at Universal, Sea World, Discovery Cove, and Busch Gardens.

I wouldn't call us "The Dark Side" or anything like that. Yes, it's just a joke, but I'd think of it as someone who is brainwashed going back to Disney year after year just to please the kids. Yet the kids have grown up and the parents don't realize it yet. If anything, I'd say the Disney people have "Snapped out of it" or "Woken Up" to the rest of the world. Disney is good to visit every 4 years as adults, like when they add a new thrill ride.

Glad to hear that cause the first time we went to orlando we went to disney first and then went to univesal and after that we were hooked on universal and I guess from now on its universal or nothing.

Woo Hoo :woohoo: :woohoo:

I happen to be a big fan of both Disney and Universal/IOA so my opinion is not really one versus the other. I have been to Disney/Universal three times already this year (split stays). For those that say Universal does not provide the same level of service as Disney, I say hogwash!! I have had MUCH better service at Universal as of late. My last two stays were at the Hard Rock Hotel and the one before that, Royal Pacific.

The resorts are well maintained and the staff is always great. My son and I recently returned from the Hard Rock. This was his first stay there since 2002 (we have always loved the Royal Pacific). I think he is now a HRH convert. The staff there was absolutely GREAT with the kids. They had so many "pool side" activities that one day we never even made it to the parks, ROFL!!!

Disney will always hold a special place in my heart, that will never change. That being said, Disney can't satisfy all of my families needs. We like THRILL rides and, for now, Disney can't even compare. So like the commercial says, when we want our fairy tales and pixie dust, we visit the mouse. For our spills and thrills, we head to Universal. There is a place for both in our house....

It was the first time as a family that we went two weeks ago as we have been everything Disney for so long. A year or so ago it was SW and now US/IOA. Jumped on that 2 for 1 year AP deal. So I guess we will be going a lot. Thankfully, SW still has the fun pass or I'd have to choose one or the other. I don't think we'll ever tire of Disney, but it's always nice to change it up from time to time.

(not that it is a rollercoaster park) but I have been taking one day/one person visits there just to ride the Hulk and DD.

(not that it is a rollercoaster park) but I have been taking one day/one person visits there just to ride the Hulk and DD.
I do that a lot myself! I'll go over and ride the coasters...have lunch and then head home. :thumbsup2

well, next year my mom will be with us and i won't have a car, so i would needs transportation.....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter