Disney for the overweight?

The only thing any of our group has had issues with are the few attractions at MK that still have the original turnstiles at the attraction entrance. Some of those are very snug if you carry any extra weight in the hip or thigh area. The ones we have issues with most often are COP, CBJ, and Tiki Birds. At the Tiki Birds, the left side turnstile has a little extra space, so we use that one. At COP and CBJ, we use the wheelchair entrance (never had a CM bat an eye when we asked, so they must get this often at those attractions).

Some attractions it depends on where you carry your weight. If you carry it in your stomach, then something like the Astro Orbiters is fine, but it may be tight if you carry the weight in your hips instead. Overhead restraints are easier if you carry more weight in the bottom half than the upper half. If you get to the load area and think you won't fit for whatever reason, ask for the chicken exit. They aren't going to force you to ride.

Disney is very size friendly. We haven't ever had a ride that someone couldn't go on. Universal, however, was a totally different experience.

At one point in time, not long ago, in time I was at 330 and 5'10". I have fit on every single ride there that were worth going on. The only one wasn't because I couldn't fit, it was because it was difficult to get out of with combined weight and knee problems..that would be Space Mountain. Fortunately for me, it was never one of my priorities anyway.

Can't speak about "Sum of all Thrills"...never tried it.:)

I am 6'7" and find leg room more restrictive than girth. I don't have a big gut by any stretch but my shoulders are very wide and I don't normally have any issues with width but leg room can be an issue.

My dh is 315+. And 6'4 there is 1 simulator in Disney quest he couldn't ride. Space mt I think. Other than that no probs.

(Universal there were many he couldn't)

I'm 5' 10" and about 315 and have comfortably fit on all rides...EE does have a test seat but I fit in and seemed to have extra room to spare.

Space Mountain can be restrictive and Sum of All Thrills is probably out of the question, but you will be fine everywhere else. Disney does a fantastic job when it comes to accommodating people of all sizes and shapes. I have never felt uncomfortable there.

Astro Orbiter is a tight fit for anyone of size.

My soon to be DH asked me this question over and over again before his first trip last December. He's about 5'11" and 260. He carries his weight in his stomach area but I assured him over and over he would be just fine.

And he was. He had more than enough room on everything we went on. Except for Space Mountain where I advised him to sit in the from seat in hopes of giving him some more leg room. It didn't really help but he said he wasn't uncomfortable.

I've seen people of all shapes and sizes in the parks and I've not once seen anyone get turned away for their size.

Now Kings Dominion is another story...

Rides with seat belts are a challenge for one of my family members. She can do these but needs extra time to get them to close:
- Star Tours
- Tower of Terror
- Test Track

She does not ride Rock n Roller Coaster, Expedition Everest, or Dinosaur.

Also challenging:
- getting in/out of the Adventures of Winnie the Pooh vehicle
- turnstiles (thankfully being phased out)

I'm not over weight (can stand to lose maybe 10lbs). But, not the quickest person. I found Space Mountain to be awkward getting in. In fact (I have long legs) I didn't think I would be able to get my leg in fast enough.

Definitely read "wdw at large" on debs all ears .net. Best advice available for us larger folks.

I am larger and have never had a problem with any of the rides. The only one that I am concerned with is Kali River Rapids because it was close last time I was on it and have unfortunately added aboout 40 pounds since then.

Been going to Disney for decades. My top weight was 320. I have been able to go on everything. The only thing I didnt try becasue I dont care to is Everest and Thunder mountain railroad. Everything else I was very comfortable on. Have fun and don't worry. Kali river was fine. The seat belt fit with no problem. I was worried about that one too. But it was a big seat belt.

Really depends on how you carry your weight. DH could not get the belt to fit on Kali. Also reports of belt extenders are flat out untrue per guest relations and ride CMs

my son went last year for the first time since he was a kid and he was 5'8" and around 350 or so. He has a lot of belly girth and i was very nervous, but he could ride everything he tried. haunted mansion was a tight squeeze, but they stopped the ride and pushed on the door and got it closed. this year i think if he sits up very straight and sucks in, it might close on it's on. He could ride space mountain and Everest..the shoulder harness at Everest adjusts to your belly and yes there is a test seat for Everest..just ask the CM. We did everything except mission to mars, kaia river rapids and rnr..only because we ran out of time, but will be trying them this year. Put your mind at ease. I think you will be surprised at all you can ride. :thumbsup2

PLEASE pay attention to this. I was just at WDW and went on BTMRR. While I am not heavy (5'6, 135lbs) I am obviously larger than my 4yr old son. I had my arm around his shoulders to keep him from sliding back and forth, but about midway through the ride, I was horrified to realize that his bottom was barely on the seat. I had to wrap my arm all the way around and grab the seat between his legs to keep him in place. If I had been any heavier, or not paying attention/holding his shoulders to begin with, I have no doubt he could have easily slipped out under the bar. :eek:

There was a tv special several years ago during a year where there were several amusment ride fatalities and like you mentioned unless each seat is equiped with a individual rider restraints then an adult riding with a child can be problematic. The restraints then will lower only to go so far to where they engage an adult body leaving the child nearly retraint-less. When able we have our children ride together where their frames are similar, that is when the policies allow for it.

Thank you for all the personal stories and examples. I feel much better now! Good to know about the discreet test seats and the tip about not riding with the children on some rides. Disboards rocks!

The only issues i have are the ride CMs that don't take into account your size and still try to cram the same number of people into the bench seat. This infuriates me! But it can be funny sometimes.... A teen CM at PoTC on one trip put 4 (yes 4) Pooh side adults in the front seat of the boat. I was in the second seat back (also Pooh sized) and realized this was going to make the ride very wet... At the end of the drop the nose of the boat hit the floor and filled the boat with water. Those 4 people could not have been wetter then if they just got out and swam the rest of the ride.. I had to pour water out of my boots. :rotfl2: I find space mountain difficult to get off due to the fact you sit with your legs under the seat in front of you. You will fit but it is super tight. Mission Mars is tight, the front panel is inches from your chest but is do able and still enjoyable but claustrophobic. Test Track (I miss World of Motion) is a tight fit as once again they cram in as many as they can and that makes getting your belt on difficult w/o getting *super friendly* with the person sitting next to you...

If you ride alone be conscience that you likely will be seated with another single rider and if that rider is a child or young teen you are "thicker" then they are... This means on rides where there is a lap bar the bar is tight to you but no where near the kid. And that means the kid is free to bounce and slide around like a single bean in a can... Don't be afraid to say to the CM no i don't want to sit next to him/her... The CM will give you attitude but imho that is better then the child being hurt or forbid flying out of the seat all together.

As said the kiddie rides will be an issue. If i get onto Dumbo, Dumbo will actually look at me with a "are you kidding me" look, which is shocking since it is made out of fiberglass. Otherwise, you will be fine. I am 5-10 366lbs and i haven't found anything i can't go on...some that i shouldn't...but nothing that i can't... Go enjoy yourself and look ahead. Be ready to stand for excessive periods of times and remember the average park goer walks 9-13 miles. So a good pair of shoes or in my case boots are an absolute must. There are many threads here on this subject, some that go on for hundreds of posts. Give them all a read and you will find out more then you wanted to know. Have a great time and if you are staying on site. Check, they may have nightly movies and a camp fire at the resort. We don't do the movie but do enjoy the camp fire... There is more to Disney World then the parks. :)

The only issues i have are the ride CMs that don't take into account your size and still try to cram the same number of people into the bench seat. This infuriates me! But it can be funny sometimes.... A teen CM at PoTC on one trip put 4 (yes 4) Pooh side adults in the front seat of the boat. I was in the second seat back (also Pooh sized) and realized this was going to make the ride very wet... At the end of the drop the nose of the boat hit the floor and filled the boat with water. Those 4 people could not have been wetter then if they just got out and swam the rest of the ride.. I had to pour water out of my boots. :rotfl2: I find space mountain difficult to get off due to the fact you sit with your legs under the seat in front of you. You will fit but it is super tight. Mission Mars is tight, the front panel is inches from your chest but is do able and still enjoyable but claustrophobic. Test Track (I miss World of Motion) is a tight fit as once again they cram in as many as they can and that makes getting your belt on difficult w/o getting *super friendly* with the person sitting next to you...

If you ride alone be conscience that you likely will be seated with another single rider and if that rider is a child or young teen you are "thicker" then they are... This means on rides where there is a lap bar the bar is tight to you but no where near the kid. And that means the kid is free to bounce and slide around like a single bean in a can... Don't be afraid to say to the CM no i don't want to sit next to him/her... The CM will give you attitude but imho that is better then the child being hurt or forbid flying out of the seat all together.

As said the kiddie rides will be an issue. If i get onto Dumbo, Dumbo will actually look at me with a "are you kidding me" look, which is shocking since it is made out of fiberglass. Otherwise, you will be fine. I am 5-10 366lbs and i haven't found anything i can't go on...some that i shouldn't...but nothing that i can't... Go enjoy yourself and look ahead. Be ready to stand for excessive periods of times and remember the average park goer walks 9-13 miles. So a good pair of shoes or in my case boots are an absolute must. There are many threads here on this subject, some that go on for hundreds of posts. Give them all a read and you will find out more then you wanted to know. Have a great time and if you are staying on site. Check, they may have nightly movies and a camp fire at the resort. We don't do the movie but do enjoy the camp fire... There is more to Disney World then the parks. :)

In a sea of sometimes yucky DISers, this post was a refreshing kindness.

:hug:

The only ride that bothered me was RnR. The only thing that I could figure out was that the bar came down and hit my stomach, leaving my head to move around too much. I tried holding it as still as possible, hoping that the ride would be over soon!

The only ride that bothered me was RnR. The only thing that I could figure out was that the bar came down and hit my stomach, leaving my head to move around too much. I tried holding it as still as possible, hoping that the ride would be over soon!
RnR does that too my head too! I am not pooh sized. I think it is the ride!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter