Disney for a 3 year old

minniemumma

Mouseketeer
Hi all I am from Australia and have never been to Disney World but am wanting to take my 2.5 year old. Firstly is it a waste to travel so far for a couple of weeks at disney for a child so young? I do plan on taking her when she is turning 8 for her birthday and do a few other cities while we are there.
Will she get enough experiences out of it at this age? I know she isn't going to remember going but I will be taking a million pics and videos.

Our kids love looking at the pictures and videos of when they were there as little kids. She will definitely love it. There is a lot to see at that age. Is she a good traveler? That is a long flight - we did it on our honeymoon and it was tough for us.

We took both of our kids before they were two. I was amazed at how much they remembered. I know a lot of people think it is a waste if money because they won't remember, but I do not agree. Disney is MAGICAL. The kids love being there. It is amazing to them . As a parent, watching the amazement of them alone is so unbelievable. I take them there so they have fun, but the other reason is for me. The joy you get out of watching them at that age, when everything is real and magical, is absolutely priceless and worth it.

She has never flown so I don't know how that will go but I assume she will sleep eat and watch some movies. I would just need to plan the flights right.
My sister has just left disney world and she thinks it would be a waste. Though she doesn't have kids so that why I thought I would ask you guys!!
She is obsessed with minnie and Mickey and all the princesses and I want to take advantage of that.

I have taken both my girls to Disney even before that age. DD4 turned one on her first trip to DLR, and DD2's first trip to DLR was at 10 months. DD4 first went to WDW at 1 1/2, and we celebrated DD2's first birthday at WDW. We've taken several other trips since those.

Will they remember their earliest trips? No. But DD4 remembers stuff from her trips when she was 2 and on. I know I remember them, and they had so much fun at the time! I'm so glad we went. I used to think we would never take littles to Disney, but I couldn't wait once I had my first. I'm so relieved I didn't.

I do understand it's a much longer trip for you. Honestly, that would be more a factor for me than deciding if WDW at that age is worth it. For instance, we want to take our girls lots of places, Europe, for example. But we decided to wait until they are older not because we think it's not worth taking them when they won't remember, but because they struggle with our cross country flights, so we know longer would be that much harder for them, and therefor, us. When they get better at handling a flight to FL or to visit our family in NY and PA, then we will feel ready to go further. That would be my only concern in your case, not if WDW is worth it with a young child.

Eta: my DD4 is much better now, so we are just waiting for DD2 to get better. Your DD is at an age where she would likely travel pretty well.

Yeah I think it's the travel that has me thinking twice but I feel like if it's just that then we will never travel and the furthest I went as a child was to Queensland (2 day drive). But it guess that is much longer than the flight we would take and my little sister was 3 the first time we went. Damn I had forgotten all about that!

We took my DD in Oct. She was a few months shy of 3.
It was an awesome trip.
She was so excited everyday to get up in the morning and get dressed in her Disney Tshirt or princes dress. She couldn't wait to get to the parks. The look on her face when she saw the characters & princesses- it was pure amazement.

Will she remember it in the future? Maybe, maybe not. We have a thousand pics to show her. But even if she doesn't, at the time that we were there she was having a wonderful time.

First of all, if you have the means and want to go there for a family vacation, I see no reason why not to go!

We took our kids at 2.5 and 4.5 for their first trip, and it was a great family vacation! We drove (12+ hours) that trip from Maryland.

I know folks who stop going on vacations when they have kids, and don't quite understand the thinking. We've taken our kids all over (son was born in Hawaii, and before he was 1 had gone to the Big Island, Kauai, and Maui as well as flying alone with me to Missouri for 3 weeks to see family and friends). I am glad we didn't wait (matter of fact, his first hotel stay he was only 4 weeks old and my mother-in-law and sister-in-law had come to visit so we all stayed a night in Waikiki).

For a long flight, just plan and bring things to keep her occupied (and I used to travel with an empty spill-proof cup on flights - that helped avoid spills!).

I am sure you'll have a great time!

Now that my kids are getting older, I'm glad for the trips we've taken all over. It gets harder to travel the older they get, with school schedules and activities. Go as many places as you can while they're young!!!

Both of our children have been young. We took our oldest at 2.5- He is almost 6 and will be going for the 4th time in June. Our now 2.5 year old has been twice! :) It is definitely surprising about how much they remember.. I love family vacations and I feel as they get older- it'll be harder bc of school and activities. When the children grow up- you will never look back and say " Man, I shouldn't have made all those magical memories".. :) Go! Have a magical time!

We are taking our two boys (5 and 2) for the first time this June. People tell me regularly that they don't understand why I'm taking our youngest because he won't remember, to which I simply reply - "those memories are for me and my husband." He may not remember a lot in the future or any of it but we know he'll have a blast and we'll always remember how magical it was. Do what your gut tells you not what others tell you.

I want to go to Disney world as I want to also go to Universal and go see my man Harry!!!!! The new section will be open and I have been wanting to go since it opened! My DD also loves Harry and would enjoy that too!

I want to go to Disney world as I want to also go to Universal and go see my man Harry!!!!! The new section will be open and I have been wanting to go since it opened! My DD also loves Harry and would enjoy that too!

Got it - my family are hugs Harry fans as well.

I was also going to suggest going to DL instead. Then it's only 14 hours flying time each way instead of 18 + transit time.

I think your daughter will be fine at DL at this age but I think HPW would be better appreciated at an older age. If you wait then she will actually have read the books and will understand it so much more.

For us, we found Disney so much more enjoyable for our daughter when she was closer to 3.5 instead of 2.5. She could do a lot more and it was easier dealing with sleep, bathroom breaks, etc. But each kid is different and only you know best :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter