Disney for 8 days or 13 days with 7 month old

mandas08

DIS Veteran
DH and I are trying to plan a family trip with our little one for February. We can either do 13 days for $2375 or 8 days for $1972. ( I know the day difference seems odd but its the only way that works to take advantage of free dining and be there a few days while DHs family is there as well)

This will be our first trip with our then 7 month old and I'm not really sure what to expect. We plan to go very slow and let him make our schedule. I just worry that maybe 13 days will be too long and we will go crazy. Also the extra expense is hard to swallow as well.

On the other hand if we go the lesser days we will be there all the same days as inlaws and I may go crazy without having family time away from them.

It is also difficult to know what our little one personality/feeding/sleep schedule will be like then or he may even be teething.

So I need you guys help and advice. It is hard to pass up the extra 5 days for only $400. And as you see there are advantages and disadvantages either way.

At 7 months old, the baby is totally portable. I would have no issues doing the 13 days. 5 more days for $400 inclusive? No brainer if you don't mind a 2 week vacation.:goodvibes

I think it depends on a lot of things....

Are you and your DH used to traveling with the little man, even like to the mall or grocery store? Do you guys enjoy being somewhere that's not home with him or does it stress you out? How many days are you planning on doing parks? Where are you staying and how is the room situation?

For us, I would pick the 13 days, as long ad DS had a place to sleep that was semi-private, so he could for sure get his rest because he is a light sleeper. If you are going at a slow pace, and not planning a whole lot, I think you should be fine with 13 days, but I would no way do parks everyday. If you choose to take the longer trip, take advantage of DTD and tour some of the hotels. That time to just explore and not feel like you are missing something always helps us recharge.

Have fun! We will be traveling with a 9 month old and a 4 year old in February:) You said you are going to go at your DS's pace and I think that is key to taking a little one, no matter how long you decide to stay!:wizard:

I think it depends on a lot of things....

Are you and your DH used to traveling with the little man? Do you guys enjoy being someone where that's not home or does it stress you out? How many days are you planning on doing parks? Where are you staying and how is the room situation?

For us, I would pick the 13 days, as long ad DS had a place to sleep that was semi-private, so he could for sure get his rest because he is a light sleeper. If you are going at a slow pace, and not planning a whole lot, I think you should be fine with 13 days, but I would no way do parks everyday. If you choose to take the longer trip, take advantage of DTD and tour some of the hotels. That time to just explore and not feel like you are missing something always helps us recharge.

Have fun! We will be traveling with a 9 month old and a 4 year old in February:) You said you are going to go at your DS's pace and I think that is key to taking a little one, no matter how long you decide to stay!:wizard:

We haven't really traveled with little one longer than 3 hour car trips. He thus far hasnt had any issues about where he naps during the day but does not like to nap in a packnplay or his crib during the day. Maybe we will try to stay at my parents house the weekend when we visit to see how he does sleeping at night time some where new.

I love being away from home on all of the day trips we have taken. We took him to the zoo for a day a couple weeks back and he did great. We had lots and lots of stops for feeding, changing and getting break from stroller but all and all it was a wonderful day. I just had to retrain my brain to relax and make his needs a priority rather than seeing everything.

We would actually all be in the same room. At this point that wouldnt be an issue because that is what we are all used to but I'm not sure when we will start having him sleep in his own room rather than ours in the pack n play. He isnt a light sleeper or anything and I'm sure is used to hearing us come into the room at night and DH get ready for work in the morning. I would have no issues going to bed early with him each night (I'm sure we will need it :laughing:)

How many days at parks would you recommend?
Thanks for all your help!

At 7 months old, the baby is totally portable. I would have no issues doing the 13 days. 5 more days for $400 inclusive? No brainer if you don't mind a 2 week vacation.:goodvibes

Ya, very hard to pass it up for $400.

Agreed. One child at 7 months is a breeze! :) And $400 isn't that much more. I would go for it. Plus with the extra days with the in-laws you will have some free time to go do a few things with just you and DH.

Even if DS is teething and is a little grumpy, its not that big of a deal, one person might miss a ride and have to keep pushing in the stroller.

Sounds like a fun trip! :)

Agreed. One child at 7 months is a breeze! :) And $400 isn't that much more. I would go for it. Plus with the extra days with the in-laws you will have some free time to go do a few things with just you and DH.

Even if DS is teething and is a little grumpy, its not that big of a deal, one person might miss a ride and have to keep pushing in the stroller.

Sounds like a fun trip! :)

Thanks as a first time parent this is all brand new to me. I really want to have a good time. I am a natural born worry wort :sad2:

Thanks as a first time parent this is all brand new to me. I really want to have a good time. I am a natural born worry wort :sad2:

Haha! I took DD2.5 with my mom and dad and DH and it was a breeze. We had a great time.

Tried taking DD3 and DD7 thinking it would be equally easy this year.

Nope. Determined I will go back with them individually until they are old enough to go off on their own and don't need naps and strollers. :rotfl: (Maybe not even then for younger DD! :rotfl: That kid!)

How many days at parks would you recommend?
Thanks for all your help!

For us, when we traveled without kiddo's we would do a park everyday. Now we like a day to chill at the hotel and set up our room when we get there.Then we do a park every other day. The day before we leave we like to do DTD. It works best for us with little ones to have a day off to go explore or to do the pool every other park day. I have read a lot of ppl that still like to "park it" everyday with little ones. I'm sure you will have fun whatever you choose!

How many days depends on how much you want to pay on tickets.... if you are there for 10 days its much cheaper than if you are in the parks everyday because of the need for the annual pass. (Almost half!) For us we'd probably do 10 days because of that reason and take a day to relax, a day for dtd, and the travel days figured in.

Now the benifit of the AP would be if you plan on going back again next year you can butt it up against this years trip and not have to buy tickets again, plus your park hopper is figured in too.

13 days is a long time... but with a 7 month old is probably doable. Worse case scenario is that you have had enough and you leave early having to eat $400. But really $4oo to me is worth that gamble since it seems like the benifits in this situation are far greater! Just make sure to take easy and not to push to hard since you will be there for a marathon trip!

Have fun!

If it was me,

I would do 8 if I was staying in a standard hotel room (no kitchen).

I would do 13 if I was staying in a studio or a villa (with kitchen).

Even with the free dining, after so many days I would want some sort of a kitchen. I couldn't imagine only eating WDW food for 13 days and being unable to properly wash cups (mugs, sippy).

So for me it would have nothing to do with the age of my kids but the space I had to live in for 2 weeks.

We actually just came back a couple of weeks ago from an 8 day trip with our 7 month old and 4 year old. Personally, I found that towards the end (the last day and a half or so), both of the kids were starting to get a little out of sorts.

They were perfectly behaved for the first 6 days, it seemed as though nothing had changed in their routine. Then days 7 and 8 there was a little more crying (from the 7 month old) and acting out (from the 4 year old). We also went to the parks every day though. We came back for naps, and didn't stay til closing except for 1 MK and 1 DHS day, so we weren't running them ragged, but the 4 year old could have maybe used a day in the middle to relax and do nothing.

At that age we found the baby was very easy to handle and it wasn't difficult to bring her to WDW, she was just out of her element for too long. So 13 days may be too long. However as someone else pointed out, it depends where you're staying. If we had stayed offsite in a house with a pool and had 13 days, we would have taken a few days off from the parks and that probably would have made a difference. Being in a small hotel room without many places to crawl was difficult on her.

So I guess I would say 8 is better, unless you're able to make the baby feel more at home and take some time off from touring, in which case I'd go for 13.

OP, we stayed 8 days with my then 18 month olds and it was a bit too long so I think 13 is absolutely too long. We also stayed in a 1 bedroom dvc villa so had plenty of space and separate sleeping quarters. Towards the end, like the PP, our boys were just getting out of sorts, irritable. We just took them at 23 months for 5 days which was better but found a rest day to be beneficial. But our babies were a bit older than yours and firmly set in their routine so I think traveling might be a bit harder for older children. Just my 2 cents.

For only $400 more I would def try it. I would much rather try it with a 7mos. old baby opposed to 18 mos or older child. We have always stayed for 7 days and seem ready, but that is b/c cramming so much in with 2 small kids! You could take things slow and seems like it would be more relaxing. If baby is on a routine, I would just try to stick to it as much as possible. It sounds like a lot of fun.

Thank you everyone for all of your help!! We did it, we are all booked! ANNDDDD....we will be in Disney for 13 days. I absolutely believe what everyone said about it possibly being difficult at times but DH and I are up for the challenge.

This decision wasn't made lightly and took hours and hours of pros and cons lists. In the end the price difference between the 8 days and 13 days only ended up being $224.00 because of flight. We really wanted a direct flight and after seeing the price difference in the dates it seemed like a no brainer to have 5 more days for $224.

I will now begin all of researching and planning to try to make this the best trip possible. Hope to find lots of TR's from fellow travelers with babies.

IF you want to share your opinions, and advice on what to do, take or plan let me know!! TIA:goodvibes

Just thought I would update to let everyone know that we ended up doing 13 days. I have no regrets with our decision and had an amazing time. We are actually booked to go back in a couple of months. This time our DS will be 16 months so I'm sure the trip will be a bit different :)

I would have no hesitation taking a 7-month-old for 13 days. Babies are pretty easy at that age (my youngest will be 7mo in a couple days). Now my 18-month-old is another story--toddlers are much more difficult. I suggest buying a sling if you don't have one and practice using it at home and for errands so the baby is used to it. It will come in handy for mealtimes when you have to take the baby out of the stroller or if the baby tires of the strollers. Slings are great for making baby sleepy as you move around.

I'm glad you did it! I absolutely would have done the 13 days! We went on a 10 day DCL/WDW vacation when our first son was 7 months and it was so wonderful! Now we have 3 children and will be taking them for 9 days in August (they will be 5, 3, and 8 months). I can't wait! I find it easier to travel with them than be at home with them, and we all have a great time!

We took ODS when he was 13 months and 18 months. We had a great time both times. There was the major temper tantrum on the floor next to the WL elevators when he was 13 months....but we don't have to talk about that. :rotfl: It was all part of the experience. You will have a great time!

I'm glad you did it! I absolutely would have done the 13 days! We went on a 10 day DCL/WDW vacation when our first son was 7 months and it was so wonderful! Now we have 3 children and will be taking them for 9 days in August (they will be 5, 3, and 8 months). I can't wait! I find it easier to travel with them than be at home with them, and we all have a great time!

We took ODS when he was 13 months and 18 months. We had a great time both times. There was the major temper tantrum on the floor next to the WL elevators when he was 13 months....but we don't have to talk about that. :rotfl: It was all part of the experience. You will have a great time!

I will admit I am a little intimidated to go when LO will likely beginning to walk, but I know it will be a great time.

That is exactly what I was thinking, too :thumbsup2

The extra days gives you LOTS of options in terms of taking things really slow to accommodate the baby as needed. I'd stay the extra days for $400 without question. If the baby starts to get fussy, take a whole day and just chill in the room or at DTD or the pool. I'd so do it in a heartbeat!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter