Disney finally sees huge abuse of the GAC

Status
Not open for further replies.
If it's really being abused that much, maybe they will start only offering this front of the line thing for children on make a wish trips or people who really are medically fragile and truly can't wait.

Or maybe everything will stay the same.

Medically fragile - Make a Wish, Give Kids the World, etc., guests and their parties are the only ones who get true front of the line access. Others - GAC holders, wheelchair users - may percieve they're getting FotL based on the entrance they use, but it's not necessary accurate.

Universal does this. If the wait for a line is more than 20 minutes, at Rip Ride Rocket, you're given a return time. I'm pretty sure it works this way for Harry Potter too. We stay onsite at Universal and these are the 2 attractions not tied to FOTL keys.

It's more than 30 minutes and it's how the red pass works at EVERY Universal attraction. If the wait for a ride is less than 30 minutes the guest has their red pass scanned and they immediately enter the Express line. If the wait time is 30 minutes or more the team member takes the red pass and writes the name of the ride, the current time, the wait time, and the return time on the pass before handing it back to the guest. The guest returns when their return time comes up and enters the express line at that point. The return times are the current wait time minus 15 minutes to account for waiting in the express line. You can only have one return time at a time so you can't just go and collect times and then ride everything all at once since that would be unfair to everyone else. Obviously if you have resort express then you would just go straight into the express lines everywhere except journey and rockit.

I've seen the GAC system in use at WDW and even used it with my friend who has one. We went straight through the fast pass entrance at every ride and rides that don't have fast pass entrances took us around the back and basically VIPed us right onto the loading platform. She told the CM in guest relations she is deaf (true) and has an anxiety disorder (lie:furious:) and needs captioning and a separate waiting area. (I used it one day to see how it worked and then refused to use it again because I felt bad and didn't want that kind of karma.)
I see the red pass used all the time at UOR. Mostly people get angry and yell at TMs because "Disney just lets us right on!" I think Universal's way is fair to everyone and cuts down on misuse because you still have to wait, just in an area or your choosing. :thumbsup2

moorhunhe said:
Reading that article, looks like there is a big difference between WDW and DLRP.

In Paris you NEED a letter from your doctor / phisicion / therapist, saying you have a certain illness / can't leave wheelchair / can't stand in crowds, etc ...
Without that letter they will refuse to give you a pass.

Looking at the comments below that article, WDW doesn't need a letter like that to know if this person really has an illness?

Really? Hmm. When I was talking to the woman when I was booking my vacation, she explained the GAC to me and told me I would need a letter from my doctor. I called yesterday and asked my doctor to write my letter and to make sure it included my limitations. I have a rare visual impairment and just writing the name wouldn't mean anything to anyone else (the receptionist at the office even said she hadn't heard of it). So I wanted to make sure WDW believed it. It's kind of sad that people are getting cards without showing the proof. :(

I understand your mama bear response. It's natural. But please realize we all pay the same prices to Disney and most do not get to visit often. For us it is a time to focus on my family. Not a time to be sensitive to other people's hardship. The arguement that the non disabled should wait longer for a ride or attraction is not fair. Hopefully fastpass+ will eliminate most gacs and allow customers to enjoy wdw fairly.

I thought being sensitive to others was a natural part of people's lives. Guess I was wrong.

That's what I was thinking as well. Some of these people with so many problems seem to spend an inordinate amount of time at DisneyWorld. Three times a year with a family of six children and a GAC card? I make a good living with a healthy family and we are lucky to afford a short trip every two years! Things that make you go hmmmmm...

Because Disney tries to make it easier for disabled people to have a good time as does Universal.

I do understand that you want to focus on your family and not worry about other people - and perhaps you are right. By that argument, I should worry about my family's needs (and our use of a GAC) and not care how that might affect you. Vacation time is good...unfortunately my children have disabilities 365 days a year, they don't get a vacation from it. I agree that all of the customers should be able to enjoy WDW. For my family, there is only one way my kids can have equal access to a ride, and that is by using a GAC.

:thumbsup2

It's more than 30 minutes and it's how the red pass works at EVERY Universal attraction. If the wait for a ride is less than 30 minutes the guest has their red pass scanned and they immediately enter the Express line. If the wait time is 30 minutes or more the team member takes the red pass and writes the name of the ride, the current time, the wait time, and the return time on the pass before handing it back to the guest. The guest returns when their return time comes up and enters the express line at that point. The return times are the current wait time minus 15 minutes to account for waiting in the express line. You can only have one return time at a time so you can't just go and collect times and then ride everything all at once since that would be unfair to everyone else. Obviously if you have resort express then you would just go straight into the express lines everywhere except journey and rockit.

I've seen the GAC system in use at WDW and even used it with my friend who has one. We went straight through the fast pass entrance at every ride and rides that don't have fast pass entrances took us around the back and basically VIPed us right onto the loading platform. She told the CM in guest relations she is deaf (true) and has an anxiety disorder (lie:furious:) and needs captioning and a separate waiting area. (I used it one day to see how it worked and then refused to use it again because I felt bad and didn't want that kind of karma.)
I see the red pass used all the time at UOR. Mostly people get angry and yell at TMs because "Disney just lets us right on!" I think Universal's way is fair to everyone and cuts down on misuse because you still have to wait, just in an area or your choosing. :thumbsup2

In one of my posts, I said that I thought the way Universal handles it is a good idea. People there complain too because on site guests have a separate entrance and get on rides more quickly.

Those saying Disney lets them right on are incorrect. Having been with people using GACs, I know we've had to wait. We have never been VIP'd onto any ride or attraction at Disney World with a GAC and even when we've paid for the VIP tour. We went through back doors with the tour but still had to get into the FP line.

Really? Hmm. When I was talking to the woman when I was booking my vacation, she explained the GAC to me and told me I would need a letter from my doctor. I called yesterday and asked my doctor to write my letter and to make sure it included my limitations. I have a rare visual impairment and just writing the name wouldn't mean anything to anyone else (the receptionist at the office even said she hadn't heard of it). So I wanted to make sure WDW believed it. It's kind of sad that people are getting cards without showing the proof. :(

The person booking your trip was misinformed. It's against the Americans with Disabilities Act for CMs to ask for proof.

So how is Disney aware of this "big abuse" if they can't even question someone's disability? I believe it's guests and possibly cast members making assumptions. True there are going to be people who abuse it, but how do you really know how many and who they are? Unless you require "proof".

I feel like some people spend an inordinate amount of time trying to police other guests. "Oh they saved a table before getting food how dare they!" "hmm she doesn't look disabled...". They'd probably enjoy their vacation time much better if they weren't looking at perceived advantages others are getting over them and trying to guess if they deserve them or not.

Whatever Disney comes up with to alleviate abuse, hopefully it'll put the guessing games and assumptions to a halt as well.

I have a question....

In order to get handicapped plates (or a rear view mirror tag) for your car, you have to take your application to your doctor and have it signed.

Then you take it / send it to the DMV to receive your handicapped plates / tag.

How is the DMV not violating the law by asking for a doctor's signature, but Disney would be violating the law by asking for a doctor's note to receive a GAC?

I'd have no problem bringing a note from my daughter's doctor. I'd also have no problem having her picture on the GAC card so that it can only be used when SHE is going to be riding the ride -- it can't be passed around to other people.

I understand your mama bear response. It's natural. But please realize we all pay the same prices to Disney and most do not get to visit often. For us it is a time to focus on my family. Not a time to be sensitive to other people's hardship. The arguement that the non disabled should wait longer for a ride or attraction is not fair. Hopefully fastpass+ will eliminate most gacs and allow customers to enjoy wdw fairly.

Don't you think that people with disabilities have families that they want focus on their families? Or you think simply if you have a disability, you should just have to miss out? It is ALWAYS time to be sensitive about other peoples hardships, because one day you might be hoping people are caring about yours! Yes, people do all pay the same price, however they can't tour the parks in the same way. The simply fact is, without the GAC card, many families would simply be unable to go to Disney World AT ALL, because it would be impossible to tour parks like your average guest. The fact that you can't or don't see it that way, means that you're one of the "lucky" ones who has never had a child with a disability.

I agree 100%

I have an autistic son who stands in line like everyone else. Life isn't fair, people need to get used to it and quit expecting special treatment. The world doesn't work like that and the sooner they get used to it, the better. Our society is breeding a bunch of whiners.

Standing in line is painful for me as well, but I do it. Both of my knees need replaced and standing for long periods is very uncomfortable. I CHOOSE to go to Disney, they don't make me visit. I know there are lines. That's life, get over it!

So you're saying if someone has a child who is disabled who actually can't stand in line, it's a case of too bad for them? Not only will the child who is disabled miss out, their siblings will miss out, their parents and possibly extended family. :confused3 It's a shame you feel there should be such complete discrimination toward people who are disabled. It's even worse when you say you have a member in your family who is disabled.

You should be ashamed of yourself. Such blatant discrimination, I'm so happy that you don't get to decide what assistance people should or shouldn't get. You say you have a child who is autistic. I'm unsure how severely but what about a child who is quite high on the spectrum? Add no speech and no communication available to them? Add to that ANOTHER disability on top. At age 20, they are like a toddler and yet as far as you're concerned, they should basically just sit down and stare at the walls? Picking another vacation doesn't automatically make life a red of roses. And what about other members of their family? I'm assuming they should simply miss you because the have a sibling/child with the disability as well?

That's because parents refuse to make their "disabled" kids accountable for their behavior. They're not doing them any favors and not preparing them to live in the real world.

And, yes, if people make the choice to visit Disney they should deal with it. Disney is not mandatory. If your kid doesn't like crowds or being near people and/or can't deal with the stimulation ... PICK ANOTHER VACATION. Quit expecting the world to change for you!! Children need to learn to adapt to the real world.

Yes, because Disney is a stupid choice for people who can't handle it.

The ONLY people who should get any special treatment are Wish kids and their families.

There are 3 topics that are guaranteed to cause a "flame" war

1. People who "cut in line"
2. GAC and EVC
3. Starbucks at DisneyWorld

These topics should just be banned form the boards, just like tipping has! :rolleyes2

This thread is the Carousel of No Progress. I've never read the same thing so many times.

People need to start worrying about themselves, and quit worrying about what other people are getting that they somehow missed out on. If it ruins your trip to watch someone zip past you in line, whether disabled, cutting or whatever, try focusing on your own family and friends instead of someone elses so much.

(That doesn't mean you budge in front of me and my kid when we're watching the parade though, dangit! ;))

Don't worry about any of those things, be far more concerned that Starbucks is coming over to infiltrate Main St! :lmao::lmao:

My daughter's friend with the brain tumor, my niece with the immune deficiency, and my friend's autistic son all run. It makes me happy to see them having a good time. To look at any of them, you'd never know they were ill or had a disorder.

A few years ago, I brought a group of 8 people including my daughter's friend and my friend and her son for 10 days. Both the girl and my friend's son had GACs. It was nice because we could all ride and tour together.

How is this even GAC worthy? Before anyone flames me know that I am a cancer survivor who has had therapies that caused immune problems. I would never ever get a a GAC because of this..a GAC isn't going to cut down on exposure to germs at a theme park.

Radiation also made me tired, sleepy and week..okay that is my problem not Disney's. Another poster here said she was going to get a GAC because the heat caused migraines and her meds make her sleepy. This is nuts!

Maybe my friend, who has a huge problem with alcohol. should get a GAC next time she goes. She drinks, she wakes up with a hangover and would have to do the parks fast in order to start drinking again. Alcoholism is a disease, she should qualify.

It's sad that people who really do not need it are abusing it for those that do.

The GAC card is supposed to be for the recipient and if it still holds, up to 5 additional people in their group not random park guests.

As I said this woman went up to a bunch of strangers at the end of the line and got them in with her on the gac card. I didn't say anything because it wasn't going to change my day but that is not what the card is for is it?

my husband has a seizures caued by scar tissue from a tumor.. they are triggered by heat, stress and being overtired.

we still go to wdw every year in the summer- our choice-- because our family enjoys it. we have NEVER asked for or got a GAC. he would be horrified if i even suggested it. we adjust our plans as needed so he stays cool and happy and we deal just like everyone else. He wants to have a "normal" life.. and the little red card would make him stand out and make him uncomfortable.. just like in normal day-to-day life, we have adjusted .

my husband has a seizures caued by scar tissue from a tumor.. they are triggered by heat, stress and being overtired.

we still go to wdw every year in the summer- our choice-- because our family enjoys it. we have NEVER asked for or got a GAC. he would be horrified if i even suggested it. we adjust our plans as needed so he stays cool and happy and we deal just like everyone else. He wants to have a "normal" life.. and the little red card would make him stand out and make him uncomfortable.. just like in normal day-to-day life, we have adjusted .

And if you're able to "adjust", that's terrific! However some people simply can't "adjust", especially with certain disabilities. Unfortunately some people just can't have a "normal" life, no matter how much their or their family want them to have one. If you can get a GAC card and don't get one, that's your right. If people can get a GAC and they get one, that's their right. I'm not advocating "abuse" of the card but I'm surprised how many people on the boards (not you specifically) think no one should get it, regardless of the disability. (and at the true extreme that people who disabled shouldn't ever visit WDW)

Don't you think that people with disabilities have families that they want focus on their families? Or you think simply if you have a disability, you should just have to miss out? It is ALWAYS time to be sensitive about other peoples hardships, because one day you might be hoping people are caring about yours! Yes, people do all pay the same price, however they can't tour the parks in the same way. The simply fact is, without the GAC card, many families would simply be unable to go to Disney World AT ALL, because it would be impossible to tour parks like your average guest. The fact that you can't or don't see it that way, means that you're one of the "lucky" ones who has never had a child with a disability.

I really don’t think people are saying that someone with a disability should not be allowed to enjoy the parks but more why should every disability under the sun qualify for GAC. I will say it again children with ADHD, ADD and MINOR SPD symptoms will more than likely go on to live very normal lives as adults especially if they are taught coping skills. In the real world they have to wait in lines at restaurants, shopping centers, and many other places where it may be too loud, people may look at them, or someone may bump into them. Years ago these children learned to cope with their surroundings and adapt to life and I just really think if we start to seriously modify these simply daily task for these children so they are not made to deal with minor discomfort that they experience from it then we are seriously setting them up for failure as adults.
The students that have taught with these issues are bright, funny and generally really good kids and my goal is to make sure they can function in society on their own but the parents need to enforce the same skills at home and in their daily lives.

Not you specifically but many people earlier in the thread were saying that if a child can't cope with the usual "pressure" of being within the park environment than they just shouldn't be at WDW. I'm not saying every disability should require a GAC however I'd say there are far more people who actually need the GAC than those that are abusing the system.

There are simply many disabilities, especially those on the Autism Spectrum, where it's not a case of "getting people used to the daily activities" They are simply unable to adapt to many of the tasks that other people do on a daily basis without thinking. Lines, crowds and loud noises are a factor in a theme park. Disney does a very good job at trying to help those and their families that have these conditions. To say that they just shouldn't go if they can't cope, is insulting to the people who are disabled and especially their families. I know that you didn't say that but other people did. Another poster said they didn't care about other peoples hardships while are on holidays. What about the families who suffer hardships everyday? :sad2: Don't they deserve some Disney Magic too? If the only way they can tour the parks is by using a GAC, then so be it. I'm positive if you went up to people who have to use the GAC, they would more than likely, give anything to trade places with you and have a child/family member that doesn't NEED to use the GAC.

I really don’t think people are saying that someone with a disability should not be allowed to enjoy the parks but more why should every disability under the sun qualify for GAC. I will say it again children with ADHD, ADD and MINOR SPD symptoms will more than likely go on to live very normal lives as adults especially if they are taught coping skills. In the real world they have to wait in lines at restaurants, shopping centers, and many other places where it may be too loud, people may look at them, or someone may bump into them. Years ago these children learned to cope with their surroundings and adapt to life and I just really think if we start to seriously modify these simply daily task for these children so they are not made to deal with minor discomfort that they experience from it then we are seriously setting them up for failure as adults.
The students that have taught with these issues are bright, funny and generally really good kids and my goal is to make sure they can function in society on their own but the parents need to enforce the same skills at home and in their daily lives.

Not you specifically but many people earlier in the thread were saying that if a child can't cope with the usual "pressure" of being within the park environment than they just shouldn't be at WDW. I'm not saying every disability should require a GAC however I'd say there are far more people who actually need the GAC than those that are abusing the system.

There are simply many disabilities, especially those on the Autism Spectrum, where it's not a case of "getting people used to the daily activities" They are simply unable to adapt to many of the tasks that other people do on a daily basis without thinking. Lines, crowds and loud noises are a factor in a theme park. Disney does a very good job at trying to help those and their families that have these conditions. To say that they just shouldn't go if they can't cope, is insulting to the people who are disabled and especially their families. I know that you didn't say that but other people did. Another poster said they didn't care about other peoples hardships while are on holidays. What about the families who suffer hardships everyday? :sad2: Don't they deserve some Disney Magic too? If the only way they can tour the parks is by using a GAC, then so be it. I'm positive if you went up to people who have to use the GAC, they would more than likely, give anything to trade places with you and have a child/family member that doesn't NEED to use the GAC.

I don't disagree with most of what you said and I have no real issues with the GAC in theory in fact I said it before I wish it were just made a front of a line pass for those who really need it. I just question the motives of those who get it for minor issues or those who lie about a disability to get one and wish Disney were able to deal with situation in a different way. I know this is off topic but our society has started labeling kids for minor issues at very young ages and we have way more children who are so called dealing with disabilities that really shouldn’t be.

I have one question. For those that say they were always shown to the fast pass entrance with a GAC, what were the normal wait times like?

Thinking about when my mom was in a wheelchair and they did allow her faster entrance on some rides all the ones where we were sent over to a different line (jungle cruise and great movie ride are the two that immediately come to mind) had only about a 20 min wait as it was. Which from what it sounds like would be the same thing that would have happened at universal.

Others that had longer waits (safari, soarin come to mind this time) we went through the normal ride line - until the very end at the safari as they had mom go to the accessible car even though she could transfer, she didn't ride with most of the family and got finished after us and at soarin she stayed with us the whole time and just got out of her chair at the very end to switch to a normal seat.

Now I realize a GAC and a wheelchair are different and mom being able to still do stairs and walk for 20 min or less might have made even more of a difference but I know for us this worked very well. Actually the worst part was mom feeling bad that she was cutting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter