• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney files expansion plans for Caribbean Beach

crazy4wdw

Moderator - Restaurant Board
Appears that DVC may in fact be coming to the CBR:

http://www.wdwmagic.com/resorts/dis...pansion-at-disneys-caribbean-beach-resort.htm

The addition of 7 new buildings will include one large multi-level building, which appears to be home to a large number of guest rooms.

Plans show that the new large building will occupy land that is part of the existing Barbados village of the resort, which will presumably be demolished for the expansion.

Along with new construction, there are also changes planed for the roadways and retention ponds.

Work is planned to begin in 2017, with completion in 2019. It isn't clear yet whether Disney Vacation Club villas will be part of the development, and Disney has not yet made any official announcement of the project.

Oh getting close to the announcement I bet. I know they have had a team on this project (specifically a DVC project) for at least 6 months as I know someone on the 3rd party interior design team they hired. She worked at the Poly DVC Bungalows and said they were kept on for another project.

I do wonder if DVC goes to moderates will they be on the same caliber of the other DVCs and thus same points with the resort and DVC being treated very differently (i.e. better pools, work out facilities being added, and table service dinning locations) or will they be a lower buy in price point to entice people who typically stay moderate or lower so don't currently look at DVC.

Oh getting close to the announcement I bet. I know they have had a team on this project (specifically a DVC project) for at least 6 months as I know someone on the 3rd party interior design team they hired. She worked at the Poly DVC Bungalows and said they were kept on for another project.

I do wonder if DVC goes to moderates will they be on the same caliber of the other DVCs and thus same points with the resort and DVC being treated very differently (i.e. better pools, work out facilities being added, and table service dinning locations) or will they be a lower buy in price point to entice people who typically stay moderate or lower so don't currently look at DVC.

I wonder if maybe they will be doing a "new" type of more budget minded DVC to try to lure (may not be the best choice of words) those who would buy resale because of the price point to buying direct?

I'll be curious to see what they would look like. I have stayed at CBR twice and think the grounds are beautiful and their QS is large and has some nice offerings. If they add amenities that are consistent with other DVC properties, it could turn out well. Only time will tell.

Any resort DVC builds will be considered a Deluxe Villa regardless of where it's built.

Exactly. Unless they do something where a new property does not join BVT as a parent association, they're all Deluxe Villas.

See also: Saratoga. My Saratoga points are as good at 7 months as someone else's retail VGF points.

That's good. I was worried they might restructure dvc so these new properties are like say DVC 2.0 and thus different points value and it would be like the points trading for other companies. So perhaps 2.0 points are 2 to 1. I could imagine them trying to do something like that if the law permits.

I was worried they might restructure dvc so these new properties are like say DVC 2.0 and thus different points value and it would be like the points trading for other companies. So perhaps 2.0 points are 2 to 1. I could imagine them trying to do something like that if the law permits.
Legally, I don't believe there is anything that could stop them from creating a DVC II and establishing a trade agreement with the existing DVC system. I just don't believe they would go to the extent to create 2 separate DVC systems with most being Deluxe accommodations and some being Moderate accommodations.

Absolutely, they could structure this new DVC unit group differently, and have it live outside of BVT with a trade agreement.

But I suspect it would be a nightmare to sell and administer should they do so. I mean, look at the number of DVC members who aren't understanding the relationship of BRV and CCV.

wouldn't it be more feasible if they decide to make it a "moderate" dvc, just to require less points to stay there? that way those who already own can use their points, and people who may not be able to afford the cost of buying points at one of the "deluxe" resorts available can buy into DVC?

just a random thought

wouldn't it be more feasible if they decide to make it a "moderate" dvc, just to require less points to stay there? that way those who already own can use their points, and people who may not be able to afford the cost of buying points at one of the "deluxe" resorts available can buy into DVC?

just a random thought

That was my original thought but then it would also make it too easy for those who have spent more to stay more and since most have APs and have already paid through DVC then they may not spend as much or buy add on contracts thus negating the profit.

Maybe they would make a budget friendly deluxe villa (like a value room at AKV - slightly smaller, but still nicer than a moderate room). Why couldn't they develop a moderate resort which would be DVC? They could still sell at the same or slightly lower price per point, but a family might only need 100 points for a week in a studio vs 169 that you would need at poly (so only needing to buy in $17,000 vs $29,000). Owners would still have their 11 month advantage so us current owners wanting to conserve points would have to wait for the high demand cheaper rooms -- I guess that is why the value rooms at AKV book so quickly. They would have members paying for their upkeep and refurbishment of the properties -- it sounds like a win-win for DVD.

Dumb question -- but what is

Dumb question -- but what is BVT

Buena Vista Trading (Company), I think (representing the DVC resort exchange system as it currently stands).

the big question is whether deluxe DVC pts and mod DVC pts would be exchangeable. if you buy cheap mod DVC pts, can you take a deluxe studio away from a deluxe owner at 6 months out or what?

They can keep the initial cost around the $165-$170 mark, but lower the cost per night. This way, if a studio is only 45 points for a week (7/10), the initial cost would be about $8k which is comparable to some resale contracts.

By doing this, everyone pays the same to buy in direct. If a GFV owner wants to use their points to stay there, they can, for a small number of points. And if a CBR owner wants to stay at GFV, they can too...they just have to own a lot more points.

As we've seen, those cheap rooms book up very fast. That would mean that at 45 points a week (for example) there would surely be no issue with occupancy. On top of that, I imagine they would sell out very quickly since the 11-month window would be almost required to get a reservation.

By keeping the points charts the same and lowering the initial cost, they would have the opposite effect. Owners at GFV aren't going to use a similar amount of points to stay at a "moderate" level DVC. However, CBR members who bought in at a low price would be certain to try and get the "deluxe" villas at 7-months. This would mimic the SSR effect of a few years ago.

can you take a deluxe studio away from a deluxe owner at 6 months out or what?

I think the term "take away" is not appropriate here, though.

Someone who buys "cheap" Vero Beach points can book a studio at BLT at 6 months, if available.**
Someone who buys "cheap" resale Poly points can book a Poly studio at 11 months, same as a direct Poly buyer.

Once 7 months hits, there is no "taking away" from a "deluxe owner." Once home resort is done, points is points. And relative to home resort, home points is home points, whether direct or resale purchased. There are no differences between direct and resale in booking the real property interest.

** yes, I know VB dues are not cheap.

There were rumors/speculation that a bridge might be built from the new CBR DVC to the Mexico/Norway area of Epcot. Can anyone that understands these plans tell if there's anything that looks like that might be in the works?

If (part of) this turns out to be DVC, I expect rooms to be pointed similarly to OKW and SSR-std. I also expect some additional resort amenities to make up for CBR's relative lack of same.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter