• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney Fantasy Ship Model online

Euphscott

DIS Veteran
SO I was tipped off that the ship models were online in the Disney Store. So, I figured I'd order ahead of time and save the space in my luggage.

What I received is nothing like the older models (Magic and Wonder). It's a larger, lighter, and and less well made model. It looks cheaply put together and is a poor companion to the previous models.

Has anyone purchased online and sailed to know if they are the same models being sold onboard? If so - DCL went really cheap and messed up the collection! :)

I'm hoping to find this out, too. We sail in January on the Fantasy and my son would really like a model of the ship. Ours is the opposite problem to yours, though...buying from the Disney store incurs crazy shipping to Canada, so I'm hoping they have the models in stock on the ship!:)

I ordered the Dream and Fantasy to complete my set (I'd picked up the Magic and Wonder onboard) from the Disney Store during their sale.

They look to be the same quality as what we bought on the ships. DH would have liked to have the stern decoration to be the same as the ships- but other than that, we're more than happy with them.

HTH!!

The sad truth is that the new models are not the same! We had purchased the models of the Magic and the Wonder for our son and were so excited to get the Fantasy on our cruise last April. I felt it was so cheap looking that I considered not buying it eventhough he had the others. I was so conflicted that I took my son to the shop to decide for himself if he actually wanted it or not. He did decide we should get it, but he even likes the other two better!:confused3

It does appear from their website that even the Magic and the Wonder models have been switched to this new design as well. On our April Fantasy cruise I was randomly pulled for an individual focus type of group and told them that it appeared they had switched vendors and that they should switch back. I even told them I was considering not even buying the new model. I think all you can do is voice your feelings to one of the managers onboard. Maybe if they hear it enough they will switch back!:)

Enjoy your cruise with or without the model!

Marni

Thanks Marni! I'm glad to hear we are not the only ones disappointed.

I was VERY disappointed in the new model. It's cheaper, bigger, uglier, and of course, more expensive!

The original Wonder and Magic models are so much nicer. And they are in line with what other cruise lines use, so now we have one ugly outlier in our ship model collection.

I've seen some larger ones for sale on occasion on Ebay. I am not sure where they come from though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter