• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney Fantasy problem?

Apparent wind speed were 65-70
MPH. We were in the Front of the boat, so we were able to "experience" the true winds. I plan on posting a trip report with pictures and video later this week after we get home. Happy Sailing!

Based on what I saw on the screen, at one point it was 66 MPH on Thursday when we were 140 miles from the center of the eye.

I know it was rough but very interesting experience. I didn't mind the movement, it was a unique memory

Yes terrible isn't it that they work 10/12 hours a day 7 days a week for 4 - 8 months and they have a lie in on the one day they can.

The only people that cause the chaos is the guests.

This has nothing to do with hours or amount of days you work, we all work. This has to do with common sense.

Honestly I never seen such a mess with the departure

Shameful

Ironic is every day you're on the ship you see tons of Disney cast but for some reason on this busy day and they all decided to sleep in

According to guest services they recommended getting in line early so therefore we skip breakfast waited in line for two hours we were number 70 or 80 based on my count however as we get closer to port folks got up closer they started pushing shoving

Why have a line??

Where were the ropes??

It was crazy and a mess.

I understand there are issues but Disney had no plan

Horrible ending!!!

The only thing shameful about your post is your attitude. I hope you have a safe flight home out of Florida and get some perspective before your next cruise during hurricane season. Which is June 1st to November 30th.
I am quite sure CM's weren't sleeping in as they still have to clean up after all the passengers leaving the ship and prepare for all the new guests coming on.
As for lines and ropes... that would be great if there weren't inconsiderate guests who don't believe that lines and ropes apply to them and their schedules. There are always going to be more people who think that their time is far more valuable than everyone elses. Ropes won't be anything more than something for kids to hang onto and swing on. :)
DCL does have a plan, but it requires folks to be patient and use those common sense skills. Unfortunately, they seem to be lost on the first evening of a cruise and not seen again for the duration.

I really do hope you make it safely home and can take a moment to be thankful that you made it back to port safe , sound and well fed thru a Category 5 hurricane.

Highest apparent winds we ever experienced were on the Fantasy in 2013. Was just talking to the hubby about it. Winds were hovering close to 60 mph. It was pretty rough seas. We enjoyed it. I'd love to experience bigger someday. ;)

The only thing shameful about your post is your attitude. I hope you have a safe flight home out of Florida and get some perspective before your next cruise during hurricane season. Which is June 1st to November 30th.
I am quite sure CM's weren't sleeping in as they still have to clean up after all the passengers leaving the ship and prepare for all the new guests coming on.
As for lines and ropes... that would be great if there weren't inconsiderate guests who don't believe that lines and ropes apply to them and their schedules. There are always going to be more people who think that their time is far more valuable than everyone elses. Ropes won't be anything more than something for kids to hang onto and swing on. :)
DCL does have a plan, but it requires folks to be patient and use those common sense skills. Unfortunately, they seem to be lost on the first evening of a cruise and not seen again for the duration.

I really do hope you make it safely home and can take a moment to be thankful that you made it back to port safe , sound and well fed thru a Category 5 hurricane.
Yeah, I noticed they've also posted that parking at the Radisson is the worst decision you can make. Sounds like someone who doesn't "go with the flow" too easily. We've found that rolling with the punches works best to have a great vacation.

I'm looking at the Port Canaveral Webcam right now and it doesn't look like there's a single person on the ship yet and the Aqua Duck isn't flowing either.

This is not about a hurricane or coming in late.. Perhaps you should re-read some of the comments that this has to deal with crowd control and safety..I understand life happens. There are no issues on my end regarding that. I don't mind coming in late, BUT Guest Services when called said at 7am that folks were already in line and they do recommend if you have a flight before 12pm that you may want to get in line early to gain access early. Therefore I took their advice.

The ISSUE is that Disney Team Members were not there to assist a mass crowd that had issues. They wanted lines, but received a mob due to lack of control and lack of presence. It started out with 2 lines but as we reached port, hundreds of guests formed their own lines and came down the stairs pushing their way into the line to gain access. It was out of control. I saw children being pushed, luggage running over feet, etc They were not prepared nor had enough staff to assist. Most of them didn't know what to do and said this was a learning experience for them.
I work in a field that has a ton of protocols: facility protocols, state protocols, federal protocols, etc. There are extensive protocols for any type of emergency that has the potential to destroy human life. There are all sorts of documents to prepare, procedures to quickly review, teams to assign, etc. Then there are degrees of potential harm. Even though you never saw it, you can bet all the life preservers were ready to go, as well as the boats, and they had probably just rehashed a plan they drill monthly. These things are a big deal. They will never come off as polished as a Broadway musical. You are seeing Disney raw and unstaged, because massive storms are raw and unstaged, and it is impossible to control human response to them. If everybody got off the ship alive, then the objective was met. It doesn't have to be Disney pretty. An emergency is backstage. There are a million variables. The staff has to make decisions based on the most important goal. The experience will rarely be pleasant. If those people were more worried about how things looked rather than getting people out of that storm, it could have been a tragedy. Be grateful toes were getting smushed by luggage because the cast were preparing the lifejackets. You raced a hurricane and are here to tell the tale! And those people made sure you got home to your family! Now that is service!

I'm looking at the Port Canaveral Webcam right now and it doesn't look like there's a single person on the ship yet and the Aqua Duck isn't flowing either.

It is looking rather empty. I'm surprised we haven't heard from people that haven't boarded yet.

It's my understanding that departure has been delayed 2 hours. Could be more, depending on those "technical issues". They may not be boarding yet.

During Sandy, 10/27/12 on the Fantasy, cruising at 5 - 7 knots, basically due north, just off the coast of FL, we saw a triple digit apparent wind on the TV prior to losing power around 1 - 2 am.

We were in 30 - 40 foot seas which I felt the ship handled well. It was the sets of rogues every 20 - 30 minutes that slapped us about when the vessel moaned and protested. Some at 18 meters. :crazy2: That's when items aboard went flying.

Many of us were concerned Commodore Tom was at it again. :duck:

Glad to here you all had calmer seas and are safe ashore.

I can't believe people expect the Disney Princesses to show up and lead them during a hurricane or some such foolishness. Have people completely lost their minds? Didn't everyone see the images of human bodies floating down the streets of New Orleans after Katrina? That was a hurricane. Do people complain when the fire department shows up at their home and they don't have time for pictures and autographs? An emergency is an emergency. If they were 5 star, posh experiences, they would be marketed and sold for $1,000/night.

Fwiw; 10/27/12 after Sandy. Fantasy debark around noon to 1pm.

CruiseWaves343.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter