Disney Fantasy -- Mechanical Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why not? Because they are not required to provide anything at all and the number of people in the cabin has no bearing on missing a port.
Great. That's your opinion just as mine. Wasn't up for debate. You feel one way. I feel another. Amazing how that works.

UPDATE... Disney fantasy: This trip has been great we appreciated the efforts Disney has made to try and compensate everyone despite the engine prop issue . We are heading up the Florida coast should arrive on time tomorrow if not maybe a couple minutes late because the other ships get to dock first because we are considered a disabled ship . Which we have been chugging along for 2 days like this. Haha . I can understand that though

Should be an on board credit for each passenger. Not just stateroom. Hoping for the best for everyone now and in the future cruises.

JW
Wow!!!
Greedy much???
They are NOT obligated to give guests anything at all. Read your contract of carriage. They have a right to change/skip ports of call as needed/necessary. Their only true obligation is to refund the port fees charged which for Castaway Cay are about $18.PP. ANYTHINGthey do above that is a courtesy! Be grateful, not greedy.

To those on the ship, thanks for the update! I hope you guys have a smooth, uneventful sailing back into PC.

I can't help but wonder if the 20% off would stack with on board booking perks. Probably not, but I wonder.
No, the letter specifically states it cannot be stacked and it has to be the same guests that were on this cruise. It is pretty specific.

For onboard booking, don't they normally give a 10% discount off prevailing rates, and up to $200 OBC depending on length of cruise, plus a reduced deposit (10 instead of 20 percent down) for 7-night sailings? Their compensation here is really only giving 10% more discount than if you booked another onboard, and moves that OBC to the current cruise instead of the future one. So DCL is really only "giving" an extra 10% discount, but conveniently you can book after returning home.

I do feel that anything they give as compensation is generous under the circumstances though, because they are not obligated to give anyone anything. Be it weather or mechanical problems, there is always a chance, however slim, that something may happen on a cruise to disrupt the scheduled itinerary or activities. Let's hope the current problem is minor and can be readily resolved before the next sailing.
But what you're not thinking about is this 20% off voucher is in addition to the OBB booking those passengers can also do. They get 2 cruises in the next 24 months, one with a 10% discount plus ship future ship board credit and one at a 20% discount with a current on board credit.

We've missed CC once because of bad weather and only got a half day another time because of a medical emergency. We didn't expect anything in return and got nothing from DCL. I think these folks are very fortunate for what they are receiving.

. ...No, the letter specifically states it cannot be stacked and it has to be the same guests that were on this cruise. It is pretty specific.

Fwiw that differs from offers from past events aboard.

Except the discounts have always been tied to the individual aboard.
IOW any pax aboard can book any cruise and receive 20 % off. No one needs to sail with the same party. Only that pax aboard this sailing will get a discount. As mentioned it is tied to the name.

Of course it wouldn't surprise me if DCL did not allow stacking this discount with the OBB, :crazy2: , as mentioned.

I still suggest pax see if they can stack the discounts in a month or two.
Wait a month or two for DCL to write the code.
It worked for us on the Sandy sailing.

DCL is getting tight. :crowded:

Then again 20% off for missing CC is pretty sweet. You must admit.

Last edited:
UPDATE... Disney fantasy: This trip has been great we appreciated the efforts Disney has made to try and compensate everyone despite the engine prop issue . We are heading up the Florida coast should arrive on time tomorrow if not maybe a couple minutes late because the other ships get to dock first because we are considered a disabled ship . Which we have been chugging along for 2 days like this. Haha . I can understand that though
Just just watched you dock and yes, it was a little late. We love the Fantasy. We've sailed on all four ships and she's our favorite! Who was the captain for this cruise?
Hope that the repairs are completed swiftly and smoothly and that all goes well for those who are scheduled to sail today.

That was where my mind went. Maybe what was causing the vibration in the aft on the Fantasy finally snapped.
I admit I thought the same as I/we are one of those that have felt this "unique vibration" in 4/2014...you know the quarters in the bed constant shaking, not a normal ship moving across the ocean vibration, lol :) I'm certainly not any type of ship engineer and appreciate those that have knowledge and have shared with us that are but yes, this is where my mind went :)

Heather

I feel bad the first time cruisers that missed CC. Personally I would love it if something like happened on our cruise, and I got the discount. When I worked for an airline we did not compensate for weather delays or cancellations, but if it was a mechanical problem or something that was the airlines fault we did. Company's don't have to compensate for mechanical failures, but it makes good business sense to do so if you want customers to walk away happy. I'm pretty sure every cruise line would give some kind of compensation for a mechanical problem. It's just good customer service.

But what you're not thinking about is this 20% off voucher is in addition to the OBB booking those passengers can also do. They get 2 cruises in the next 24 months, one with a 10% discount plus ship future ship board credit and one at a 20% discount with a current on board credit.

We've missed CC once because of bad weather and only got a half day another time because of a medical emergency. We didn't expect anything in return and got nothing from DCL. I think these folks are very fortunate for what they are receiving.
I think it was a generous and definitely "not required" offer that everyone should be grateful for, but I don't think I overlooked anything in my comment. They only "get two cruises in the next 24 months" IF they can afford it after already doing this one. As usual, of course people could book a future cruise while aboard with the 10% discount plus the OBC (or do the placeholder booking). It's my understanding that (according to the letter?) the compensatory 20% discounted cruise booking could not be made until the 8th, after everyone is back on land, correct? No OBC for that one, as the $200 was already given for use on their current "mechanically challenged" cruise, which makes sense. For those of us who sail often and can afford to take advantage of both the onboard booking AND the discounted future cruise booking (so 2 DCL cruises within 2 years), it's a great deal. But not everyone can do that, especially families. So while it's a great deal for some, there are many it won't help at all and many who were doing their one "trip of a lifetime." STILL, DCL did not have to do anything, so I repeat that my personal opinion is that they are being GENEROUS!

P.S. - We have also missed CC a few times (no compensation and we'd never consider it), but have been there enough that it did not bother us at all. We love days at sea!

We just got off the Disney Fantasy. I wouldn't say that everyone was ok with the issues. I was at Guest Services changing a reservation and witnessed several guests upset about the cancellation of Castaway Cay. This is my first cruise and found the cruise very rocky. Several people I met said this was not their first cruise and this was very rocky and not normal. The boat was swaying quite a bit. It was windy though also. Some people felt that yes, the 20% was nice and the $200 was nice, but they felt that Disney still is ahead. You schedule a new cruise and spend the $200 OBC on the ship! Did this issue affect us? I'm not sure. We knew something was wrong because of noises, staff overcompensating by apologizing, ship movement--so, we were a bit worried something could happen out at sea. We were told that we could have stopped at Castaway, albeit late, but the concern was the captain was worried the engines would not start up again. We were never officially told what the specific mechanical issue was--so lots of tumors going around. All said and done, it was a great cruise but this issue did put a damper on it and a slight worry. The 20% off was nice and I realize rhey are not obligated, but it is good customer service. The lines to book another cruise were long! I hope they fix the issue and it doesn't affect the next cruise.

We were told that we could have stopped at Castaway, albeit late, but the concern was the captain was worried the engines would not start up again.

I'm not sure how the ship could have stopped at Castaway Cay for the day and still made it back to PC close to on time. My understanding is that the Fantasy was a little late docking even having skipped CC to go straight back to PC.

I'm not sure how the ship could have stopped at Castaway Cay for the day and still made it back to PC close to on time. My understanding is that the Fantasy was a little late docking even having skipped CC to go straight back to PC.
Part of the reason she was as "little late" was due to the fact that all other ships that were arriving into Port Canaveral that morning had priority in the channel. That's because the Fantasy is considered a "disabled" ship and they don't want to risk her getting in the channel and breaking down, thereby blocking access to the other ships going in or out. So she had to wait until everyone was in port before coming in.

We were pretty close to Port Canaveral last night. I wouldn't be surprised if he circled a bit. Also, someone up above mentioned we had to wait to get into port this morning as we were considered disabled.

We are in the air port after leaving the Fantasy. Yes there was a problem that prevented us from dock at Castasway Cay. We did arrive at wee bit late at Port Canaval which made debarkation a bit more crowded, but manageable.

The over all week was incedible, amazing weather. Can't say I noticed any more movement on the ship than the last three times we sailed her, except for late last night.

We felt that Disney was quite generous in giving each stateroom ( which IS fair) $200 on board refundable credit. You don't get on board credit for each guest in any circumstance as far as I know, such as when you book on board.

The 20% is on a future cruise. If you booked one on board, as we did, to use the 20% we'd have to call and have them essentially cancel our booking, make to new reservation, we would loose the on board credit and have to pay the normal deposit. We have chosen to keep that booking in tact and apply the discount to a future cruise.

Again, we thought the week was great! It was a bummer to miss CC, especially for first timers. However, these are the "risks" of a cruise vacation. The ship was still fully functional and activities were added.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter