Disney Fantasy - Magic Band

kathi

DIS Veteran
Anyone sailed last week or this week on the Fantasy? Do the Magic Bands open the stateroom doors or are they just for purchases and identification?

I think they are starting on the Fantasy with the July 29th sailing, but they are supposed to open the stateroom doors. :)

Anyone sailed last week or this week on the Fantasy? Do the Magic Bands open the stateroom doors or are they just for purchases and identification?
As @Drusilla99 said, MB+s start on the Fantasy later this month. And they will open stateroom doors, but they will not be used for identification (you will still need a KTTW card for that to get on/off the ship).

As @Drusilla99 said, MB+s start on the Fantasy later this month. And they will open stateroom doors, but they will not be used for identification (you will still need a KTTW card for that to get on/off the ship).

Not arguing here - but are we certain you can’t use the Disneyband+ for disembarkation / reboarding? >>

“Boarding Made Easier​

Enjoy the benefits of DisneyBand+ from the moment you arrive! Wear your DisneyBand+ during your port arrival experience (available at US ports only) and enjoy hands-free convenience as you make your way on to the ship.”

I saw it mentioned you need to take your room key with you in ports - I figured that was for the port security, as they don’t have card scanners. But once at the ship, they would get the same information (namely your photo) when they scan the band.

Perhaps someone on the Wish has experience with this?

Not arguing here - but are we certain you can’t use the Disneyband+ for disembarkation / reboarding?
From the DisneyBand+ FAQs:
Q: Can I still use my Key to the World card instead of a DisneyBand+?
A: Key to the World cards will continue to be issued and can be used as they are today, including to access your stateroom and charging food and merchandise purchases to the payment card on your stateroom folio.

Your Key to the World and photo ID (for Guests 18 and older), will still be required to debark and embark at Ports of Call.
https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/faq/bands-cards/using-key-to-the-world-card/

It sounds like, from what you posted and what @auntlynne posted just above, that maybe you can use it to embark/disembark on the cruise overall, but you will need your KTTW still at ports. It's a little confusing how DCL has it worded (especially in the two different spots), but that's how I interpret it (that you can use it for boarding the ship the first day, but then need KTTW for ports of call).

It sounds like, from what you posted and what @auntlynne posted just above, that maybe you can use it to embark/disembark on the cruise overall, but you will need your KTTW still at ports. It's a little confusing how DCL has it worded (especially in the two different spots), but that's how I interpret it (that you can use it for boarding the ship the first day, but then need KTTW for ports of call).
That makes some sense. At most ports of call, there have been two check points when reboarding the ship. The first is at port entry, operated by the port personnel, where the ship KTTW card provides evidence that you are booked on the ship. They usually check a photo ID or passport as well, matching up the names. The second check point is onboard the ship, where the KTTW card gets scanned. That check could certainly be done using the MB+, but DCL would not want to advertise that, since the ship card would be needed to clear the port-specific check point. By requiring the KTTW card to get off the ship at the port, DCL knows the passengers will have the required KTTW ship card to get through the port screening.

I notice that at some ports, there is also a bag check for port clearance. When that happens, there may not need to be a second bag screening onboard, although this seems to vary between different ports. They do check for beer, wine, and liquor as you reboard at the port stops to make certain you are within the beer/wine limit and they hold any other liquor until final debarkation.

@erionm
@RedHead0186
@Ralph&Pam

Now that’s a great set of posts - no snark. Thanks.

I will be fascinated to see how it actually plays out (we are on the Fantasy in Sep) and plan on trying it with the band at Tortola. Logically, taking the card for port entry check.

☺️

@erionm
@RedHead0186
@Ralph&Pam

Now that’s a great set of posts - no snark. Thanks.

I will be fascinated to see how it actually plays out (we are on the Fantasy in Sep) and plan on trying it with the band at Tortola. Logically, taking the card for port entry check.

☺️
We're on the Fantasy in November (same itinerary), so I look forward to hearing back from you on how it all worked!

I haven't been able to order one for my trip, the agent directed me to call another number to help resolve it. Seems a bit crazy, I'm not going to beg them to buy something. I'm surprised it's still this buggy!

I haven't been able to order one for my trip, the agent directed me to call another number to help resolve it. Seems a bit crazy, I'm not going to beg them to buy something. I'm surprised it's still this buggy!
Are you though? This is DCL IT we're talking about . . . 🤣

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter