Disney Fantasy Cruise Trip

bheuett

Earning My Ears
I just got back from my 1st wonderful Disney cruise on the Fantasy. I just have to say that my wife and I had the most magical trip of our lives as we celebrated our 5 year anniversary. I was going to write up a huge trip report, but realized it would take up to much time and would take you readers forever to learn about it haha. So, with that, Ill cut this to a short version.
First off, the whole trip went perfectly without a problem except one minor storm on pirate night, the day we left Jamaica. Ill get to that in a second. We rented a jeep privately on Cozumel, Mexico. Snorkeled with stingrays in the Grand Caymans. We did the Tranapy adventure (zip line and bobsled) in Jamaica. And to finish it off, we parasailed and paddle boarded at Castaway Cay. Everything we did, was thru Disney except for Cozumel. You can get cheaper deals on the islands privately, but we found the extra security of not being left behind on the islands was worth the little extra $$$ as we watched a few late stragglers being boated out to the cruise ship as we left the Caymens port. They were lucky examples!
The staff and professionalism of the cruise was outstanding to say the least. im not sure if its okay to call out the names of the staff, but I will do so only because they were absolutely wonderful and they deserve the recognition for future sailors.
Our room (#9654) host was Herman Gordon from Jamaica. we were supper lucky to have this gentleman. we befriended him from day 1. He would go out of his way and come down the hall way to personally ask how our day and adventures went. He always waited for us before his shift was over to ask. And after day 1 of finding out how we liked our room, he made sure to personalize it every day before we got back. Always ice ready for our room made cocktails (we took our own booze). he even told us all we wanted to know about Jamaica before our day there. At the end, he offered to take us out in Jamaica if we decided to ever vacation there. He teared up as we said our good byes and the little details like that made him a special person to us. If you are ever on the 9th floor, hope you are so lucky to get this gentleman!
Our server was Devendra Tiwari from India. This man alone made our time on the ship amazing. We got to know him very well and he spent a lot of time at our table just conversing with us about everything. He was super funny and always laughing and giving you riddles to solve. As I looked around to the other tables he served, I believe they would all agree with me. He was always thanking us for coming to dinners, even the night I was sea sick, because he said they tend to get home sick and considered us family friends by the end of the cruise. we ran into him on Castaway Cay, working the BBQ pavilion and he sought us out just to come ask about our day. Just an upbeat amazing human being. If you get a chance to all and book a table with him, I highly recommend it! and with him you get his assistant server Federico Mei from Italy. This guy was super funny also and was always in a upbeat mood! He made us laugh because he was always laughing at himself. He was hard to understand at first because he would get to talking real fast in broken English when he was excited, but by the end, we got used to it and could decipher it ahaha. We took photos with these wonderful people at the end of the trip as our trip was made by these individuals.
As I said earlier about pirate night, as we left Jamaica, we sailed into a storm with rain, wind, and rough seas. This made my night alittle rough as I got a bit sea sick. Everyone was abit disappointed thinking that the fireworks were going to get canceled. To the credit of the captain, we sailed off coarse alitte to avoid part of the storm so that we could have our fireworks! Just another touch of Disney magic!
So all in all, we had a wonderful trip with magic around every corner and look forward to our next Disney cruise. I hope this story gets to these wonderful crewman to show our gratitude towards them!

Thanks for the report and glad to here it was fabulous.
Please expand all the details on Falmouth port.

Was the bobsled at Mystic Mountain? Would love to hear every detail about your excursion experience.
What time did you meet aboard?
How long till you were on a bus?
Exactly what kind of vehicle was used to get to bobsled?
Was there a toilet on the bus?
How long did it take to get there?
Crowded .... ?
Aggressive locals outside the fence?
What time did you return?
Was there kids along too?
etc. etc.

TIA

First off, the port is absolutely beautiful and clean! The people were friendly and way less pushy then any other port. We met up in the theatre on the ship and went out to the bus in a group of about 12 on the bus. It was a small bus (no bathroom) and took a 45 minute ride to the mountain. A lady gave us a history speel on the way which was nice. We were the 1st to arrive. It was beautiful. You get on a ski lift up to the top and are met by dancers and other employees. Take in the incredible 10 minute ride. The view is amazing. You meet up with the other buses and zip line half way down in a small group first. Then catch a ride back up the lifts. The bobsleds are back at the top. After you do that, which to me was the best, you get to eat and look out a tower for scenic pics. They also have a pretty cool slide that goes into a zero edge pool with an amazing view. We got on the bus back to port and had about 2 hrs to shop at all the shops there by the boat. Best excursion available on the entire trip. You won't be disappointed! Friendly people. We are booking a 7 day trip back to Jamaica as we speak

Also there was another cruise line that was there. So it did get pretty busy at the end. We sat and talked with people from the carnival cruise that was dying to hear about Disney cruise haha. There was all sorts of kids on the rides as well. I'm not sure of the height restrictions. The ship allowed us off at around 8:30 and we left at 8:45. We made it back at 2pmish as we sailed out of port close to 5pm. Every local we talked with was super friendly and just seemed to be helpful. I can't speak for others that went off on private tours tho. All in all the first voyage to Jamaica was a successfull one

Sounds like you had a great time. We were also on this trip. Our 10th DCL cruise. We had a great week. Unfortunately our servers and room attendant weren't as friendly as yours but we still enjoyed our week. Jamaica was amazing. Our favorite stop. We have also been browsing for a week long stay in Jamaica since this trip. The people are great. However, we did venture outside of the gates at the port and walked into the city. They have little shops similar to the straw market in Nassau. Prices were much better than at the port but the sell was a bit overwhelming at times. If you bought one item you had five other vendors behind you asking you to 'spread the love'. We have been to Nassau many times so this didn't bother us too much. The Jamaican vendors are much more friendly than Nassau. I felt very welcome in Jamaica. I honestly can't wait to go back.
Here are a couple of images taken from the ship when we were arriving in Jamaica...
I'm not sure about the size of these embedded images but you can click on the link and it should take you to my Flickr page where you can see a larger size.

Jamaican skies3 by * Rhonda *, on Flickr

falmouth jamaica3 by * Rhonda *, on Flickr

bheuett

Thanks for the feedback. So when you left MM did you take the ski lift down, or drive down from the top? DW wants to bypass the lift if possible.

Exciting to hear reports about the locals not behaving aggressively. :)

Do you recall your DCL anticipated/planned port times? Our sailing says 7:30am - 4:45pm. Hopefully they will let us off before 8:30. Were you all late/delayed arriving?

TIA

You do take the lift back down the hill. But from above you can see a cool trail that leads all the way down. I'm assuming you could use it. I didn't see anyone on it and I wish I did use it just for the scenery and pictures!
As for port times, I believe ours was the same as you described. We didn't see anyone leave the ship til about 8am and we really didn't leave port till 5ish. Always a few late stragglers. They can keep track off no show guest with your room key you have to swipe when you leave and show back up. I'm just speculating that's why. I believe you'll have fun there no matter what you do. It by far was the prettiest and most scenic island. Every other stop was flat and kinda disappointing on the tropical look.

I traveled to Jamaica for my honeymoon years ago! We stayed for a week at an all inclusive resort. Really enjoyed our time then and you are right about the people being friendlier than other places! We are looking forward to this port very much.

Glad you had such a great time! Congrats on the anniversary. I have a question about the Tranapy Adventure. My daughter and her friend's want to zip line and bobsled (15&16yo). I have no desire to do either, but obviously have to go with them. Is there an area on top of the hill to sit and relax and enjoy a drink while I wait?

Thanks so much!

We just got off of the Fantasy also. We did the bobsled and Dunns river falls excursion...both were awesome. We met our group at 7:15 at the Walt Disney theatre. We boarded a large mini van that took 11 of us to our destination. It took us about 45 minutes to get there. The view was beautiful, the jerk chicken lunch delicious and both excursions were exhilarating...we had so much fun. We got back to the ship around 2:45. The only thing we didn't like was when we left Dunns river falls, you have to walk through there market back to the bus/van...but the policy is you have to wait for your entire group to exit together. So if you have shoppers you are waiting for them, which can be a little uncomfortable.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter