Disney Fantasy at 3am

IntrovertsRespite

Earning My Ears
An odd question but has anyone ever been up in the middle of the night on the cruise ships (Disney Fantasy for me)?

I had a few nights where I found myself up and wondering around at 3am on the cruise ship Fantasy. I'm not saying you should plan for this, but if you happen to be crowd-averted and one to take your take taking in the details of your surroundings (and maybe an insomniac), then get out and walk the ship in the middle of the night. I pleasantly happy at a few things.
I found paintings that move when you stand in front of them. Noob! Yes, I know. First time Disney cruiser here so bear with me. It's one thing to see them with throngs of people streaking past you - quiet another to stumble on one and get shocked by the 'harry-potter-ness' of the moving picture. Plus for the pictures that don't move, you get to study the details you might not see when running from one event to the next.

I agree! The middle of the night is a great time to explore the ships. I also like going to the top deck near the front and just look out over the ocean when there are no other people around.

I'm an insomniac, so yes, I have wandered the ships in the middle of the night (both the Magic and the Fantasy) and have also been on deck with a book and book light at 4 in the morning, not wanting to wake my family up.

It's really remarkable seeing how much activity the "hidden" staff members are up to in the wee small hours of the morning. I witnessed an incredible amount of cleaning and touch-up painting going on when 99.9% of the passengers are asleep.

It is a great time to take photos around the ship

Just a thought

Robin & Angel "D". :thumbsup2

Thanks for the insight if I should ever not be able to sleep.. I think it would be a great way to visit areas that are busy during the day...

Yep, have done it before and the ship is amazing to walk through with no other passengers around.

MJ

I'm an insomniac, so yes, I have wandered the ships in the middle of the night (both the Magic and the Fantasy) and have also been on deck with a book and book light at 4 in the morning, not wanting to wake my family up. It's really remarkable seeing how much activity the "hidden" staff members are up to in the wee small hours of the morning. I witnessed an incredible amount of cleaning and touch-up painting going on when 99.9% of the passengers are asleep.

I got up at 6 to photograph the sunrise one morning, and was also surprised (and impressed) by all the maintenance and cleaning that was going on. Really impressive. It's a whole other part of the crew that you don't normally see out and about, and they are as friendly as can be.

While at Disneyland we like to stay at the Grand Californian Hotel, which overlooks the California Adventure park. I am fascinated with the thorough cleaning that goes on during the evening hours. Everything is washed down and made "spit spot." I have seen this sort of thing on the ship. My friend recently came back from her first ever trip to Disney, and her first comment was "Disney should just run the world." I agree.

In the middle of the night, watching the floor polisher go back and forth is almost hypnotic.

I did an double take to make sure it wasn't Ricky Kalmon.

Woody

I've always wanted to be able explore the ship in the middle of the night. So many photo possibilities. I usually end up exhausted from another fabulous day that I can't keep my eyes open. :hippie:

I am a night owl (stay up most nights until about 3) and this is actually probably my least favorite aspect of the cruise- lack of late night activity/anything. I do agree that it is a surreal time to look at the mostly deserted lobby or pool deck. I realize they need to clean the ships and appreciate that they try to do it while everyone is sleeping, but I try to find a place to read on deck and inevitably within about 15 minutes, a crew member is coming by to wash down the deck by me. Doesn't let me really enjoy the time having to constantly move or hearing the power washers. I just wish there was ANY place to go late at night to relax.

Along a similar line, I wish there was some food option that late. Maybe a coffee shop, etc. or even a small part of Cabanas? Flo's pizza just doesn't do it after a while. Folks have suggested room service, but my family is asleep and they won't deliver room service to the decks.

Lastly, for the person that mentioned going to the front of the ship- I did that late one night on one of my cruises- within about 5 mins of looking out at the sea, I was approached by a crew member (officer) and asked "how are you doing"? Obviously, he was the suicide-watch and a lone passenger on deck late at night aroused suspicion. I didn't have a problem with him approaching me, I just thought it was a bit amusing.

Really wish there was something to do late at night.

:rolleyes1On every cruise I have walked the ship several times after 1 am. I take most of my ship photos at this time. I always find someone else taking photos and it is fun to see what I have missed.

This is actually a place where DCL fails a little...

Babies often get up in the middle of the night and we saw quite a few parents wandering with their LOs because you can't turn on the TV or play in the rooms without waking up the whole family! I wish there was a play area (a few of those big blocks they take out in the D Lounge maybe?) for the kids during the night wakings...and YES! Food would be great.

It's cool to watch them clean the chandelier in the atrium too - have seen that on port days when most everyone is off the ship.

I agree! The middle of the night is a great time to explore the ships. I also like going to the top deck near the front and just look out over the ocean when there are no other people around.

This is a great place to look at the stars if you are on the Eastern Caribbean on the Fantasy. Deck 13 forward away from the lights and on a moonless night. The stars are fantastic. You can almost make out the Milky Way which can't be seen with the smog and lights of the US. :thumbsup2

Really wish there was something to do late at night.

Let's all make a pact to bring a deck of cards or something to snack on when we see each other. LOL
I order room service with a sandwich and those big cookies and coffee just as we are all tuning in. Then I take that with me when I can't sleep and eat at one of the tables in the adult pool area.

They typically have a lounge open for the Vibe kids that don't want to go back to their staterooms to sleep (they do close Vibe).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter