• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney Family Christmas 12/17-12/30 Pixie Dust attacked!! PICS ADDED *FINISHED!*

2belles'mom

Mouseketeer
A Family Disney Christmas
December 17-30

CAST
Me 38 Disney Planner and Disney Addict
DH David 38 Not-so-much-a Disney fan, but comes along for the ride
DD Katja 9 Definitely following in Mom’s footsteps
DD Annika 6 Disney Addict in training
DB Steve 36 Last trip to Disney was three years ago, with us
DSIL Sarah 31 Loves Disney too!
DN Riley 12
DN Tallon 4
DN Tanner 2
DG Nana
DG Papa

Background and…Our Pixie Dust is under attack!!

This was our third Christmas “family reunion” at the World. The first trip was five years ago. For the second “reunion,” our family got together for Christmas at the Wilderness Lodge, and had a fabulous time. Finally, three years after the last trip, the time came to get together in the World again!! The group for this trip—staying at the Boardwalk Villas-- included my brother Steve and his wife Sarah, their three children Tallon 4 years old, Tanner 2 years old, and Riley 12 years old, my parents Nana and Poppa, my DH David, and our two little girls Annika 6 and Katja 9.

My parents and my family would be flying from Seattle, and my brother and his family would be coming from Wisconsin. His older son Riley would be flying from Arizona, where he lives with his mother. Our departure date was set for December 17, and as the date approached, the anticipation level increased exponentially. The trip was so many things wrapped into one, especially for the kids: a magical Disney vacation, CHRISTMAS!!!!, and the chance to be reunited with cousins, aunts and uncles who are very much missed during absences.

On December 13, four days before our departure date, when I was in the throes of finalizing things at work and final preparations at home, our Pixie Dust came under attack. . I was at work, preparing to supervise an evening Christmas Choir Concert. At about 5:00, I got a beep from my cell phone that I had a message. The message was from my father, “They’ve taken your mother by ambulance to the hospital. They aren’t sure what it is, maybe her Pancreas. I will call you when I get to the hospital.” That was it. My dad doesn’t have a cell phone; I didn’t even know which hospital. Sick with worry, all I could do was wait for a call. My mother has heart failure and diabetes, and although she looks great, a trip to the hospital struck fear through my bones… :eek:

At 8:00, I could take it no longer. I went to my car in the parking lot at the school, and started calling local hospitals to see if my mother had been admitted—no luck.. Finally, after getting home around 9:30, I got a call from my dad. My mother was at Virginia Mason Hospital in Seattle. She was on a morphine drip, doing better, but still no diagnoses. However, she was steadfastly adamant with whomever was in earshot: On Saturday, she was getting on a plane to Disney World! My father reported that they were getting ready to do an MRI and some more testing. Not much sleep for me that night. The next morning at 6, Dad called to say that my mother would be getting her appendix out at 7:00 a.m. Her appendix! On the one hand, good news since it wasn’t something more serious. On the other…her appendix! :confused3 I didn’t know 66 year olds got appendicitis…and…the docs were saying no travel for at least a week after the surgery!!!! That would be the 22nd…5 days past the scheduled departure. Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear. The trip meant so much to my mother…seeing her son and grandkids who live in Wisconsin and Arizona, spending the holidays with them…

After her surgery, I talked to her. She still thought she was getting on the plane on Saturday (post-op meds were of course making her feel JUST FINE :rolleyes: ). I told her that the doctors would probably make her wait a couple of days…but don’t worry Mom, just a couple. My dad had not yet discussed with her the ban on flying, sigh…

As it turned out, they cleared her to fly on the 21st and scheduled her staples out on the morning of the 21st. My dad got the tickets reissued (NO WAY was Nana going to miss the trip) but paid THROUGH THE NOSE. Delta was nice enough to waive the change ticket fee, but the new travel dates came with ticket prices high enough to double what Nana and Poppa had originally paid.

So, even though Nana and Poppa would miss the beginning of the trip, they WOULD be there. The worst part was that their time with my brother’s son Riley, would be so short. Riley doesn’t live with my brother and his wife—he lives with his mother in Arizona. His mother was being extremely difficult, and had refused to allow Riley to stay through Christmas—he would be flying back Christmas Eve (perhaps understandable except that she kept him for Christmas LAST year as well, which was supposed to be my brother’s year). So Nana and Poppa would have precious few days now with Riley. HOWEVER, Nana was okay, that was the most important part, and she WOULD be making it to Disney World!!!

December 17—DAY 1, TRAVEL DAY…and another attack on our Pixie Dust!

We got up early and finished packing. It was a bit stressful—although I had started packing three weeks prior, the last week had been hectic and I had been unable to devote much time to it. My dad volunteered to drive us all the way to the airport (as opposed to the ferry terminal) to save us some time. I gratefully accepted. We caught the 10:00 a.m. boat to Seattle, planning to get to the airport by 11:30 for our 1:00 flight. Finally, on our way!!!

But then--as the ferry started to unload in Seattle, my Dad’s car refused to start! Cars, all around us driving off the boat. Our car, sitting like a dead duck. Panic setting in. Some inappropriate cursing from the adults. My DH, David, flags down a ferry worker. The worker directs the other cars around us, and informs us he will push our car off the boat and then jump us on the dock. They push the car down, around the corner, bring out a little machine on wheels and jump us. The car starts. A well oiled machine—obviously they are used to dealing with dead batteries on the Washington State Ferry system!

We got to the airport, made our flight, and had a short 1.5 hour flight to Salt Lake City, where we changed planes for the loooonnnng 4.5 hour leg to Orlando. We were due to land at 10:58 p.m., but figured that our internal clocks would be fine since it would be three hours earlier for us. For our arrival night, we would be staying at the Hyatt at the airport, making the late hour even more tolerable ($45 Priceline—gotta love it!).

My brother Steve and his family were flying in from Wisconsin, and their flight had arrived earlier that morning. They planned to make a day of it without us, heading to the Magic Kingdom with their two boys, Tallon, 4, and Tanner 2. They would then return to the Hyatt at the airport (where they also were staying) in order to pick up Steve’s 12 year old son Riley who was due in from Arizona at midnight, and meet up with us.

When we arrived in Orlando, the girls (Katja, 9, and Annika, 6) and I headed for the Hyatt to check in while David went to wait for our luggage to arrive. We had two rooms—one for my parents and one for us. Since my mother had been struck down by Appendicitis and would not be joining us until the 21st, we figured we would let Riley use my parents’ room (Priceline, remember?). We figured he might enjoy a little privacy from his 4 and 2 year old brothers. He would also get his own room at the Boardwalk Villas until my parents arrived, since we had rented the points from a DVC member for their studio.

Once we had our luggage and were settled, I called my brother’s room to let him know that we had arrived and had Riley’s room. It was about midnight by this time, so I figured that Steve was probably meeting Riley’s flight. My SIL Sarah answered the phone, and it sounded as if I had rousted her from a deep sleep. Odd, I thought, I had assumed she would be waiting up for Steve and Riley. I had imagined that her little guys would be besides themselves with excitement to see their big bro again, and they wouldn’t be sleeping either. My own girls were bouncing off the walls, eager to see their cousins, and I pictured an hour of children tearing around the hotel rooms in joyous celebration before getting them to sleep.

So, Sarah’s groggy voice threw me. I apologized for waking her up. “I just wanted to let you know that we are all checked in, and we have Riley’s room for him!,” to which Sarah replied, “Riley isn’t coming.” !!!!!!!!?????????!!!!!!!!!!!!???????????!!!!!!!!!!?????????

“Whaaaaaaa?” said I, stupidly. Sarah explained that Riley’s mother had called Steve’s cell phone TODAY, while they were ON THE PLANE. She said that Riley had bronchitis and she wasn’t going to put him on the plane. No, she would not consider waiting a day or two. He would not be coming, period. Yes, words had been exchanged. It had not been a pretty phone conversation.

I was completely stunned. I was deeply disappointed, sad and extremely angry, all at once. :mad: I wanted to get on the phone and scream at The evil woman villain (whom I have never met nor spoken to). This would be the THIRD Christmas in a row that she had managed to keep Riley from his father. Unbelievable. Unacceptable. Unconscionable. Our side of the family gets to see Riley precious little. My 66 year old heart-failure patient MOTHER was getting on a plane DAYS after major abdominal surgery so that she could see her grandkids!!!!! So that she could see Riley!!!!! She had been so disappointed that her time with Riley would be cut short due to her arriving late because of her emergency appendectomy. I was OUTRAGED!!!!! Not to mention the money side of things—the plane ticket that was now useless (my brother out $400 bucks there), the expiry park hopper (another $250 bucks), the MVMCP ticket…all those ADRs I had made and now needed to be amended… :sad2: :sad2: :sad2:

I tried to cover up my raw emotions so that my daughters weren’t distressed on our first night. But they knew what was going on, and they were devastated that Riley wasn’t coming. Especially my nine year old—she and Riley make up the “older kids” out of the cousins, and like to buddy up. They were also let down since they would have to wait until morning to see their remaining cousins. So much for my visions of a happy and chaotic cousin reunion on arrival night!

On a happier note, my brother had taken his family to Magic Kingdom for the day, and they had had a wonderful time. It had been crowded, but they rode Jungle Cruise and Pirates of the Carribbean, and visited Tom Sawyer Island. They were drained, both emotionally and physically, and had turned in early. Hence, my midnight phone call finding such deep sleepers.

At this point, my family was emotionally and physically exhausted, and after a quick room service (well, not that quick, it took forever to arrive!) meal, we hit the hay.

Tomorrow: Arrival at the Boardwalk and Mickey’s Very Merry Christmas Party!

December 18—DAY TWO, THE BOARDWALK AND MVMCP (TINKERBELL STRIKES BACK)

We slept in a bit, got up around 8:30 and touched base with Sarah. Their kids were up bouncing around, so we made plans to meet for breakfast in the hotel restaurant. They were going to head there pretty soon since their crew was hungry. I got the girls going, but soon got a call from Steve—they were scrapping the hotel plan and heading for a McDonald’s. They would stop by our room after. We finished getting ready, had a light bite, and then they were there!!!! Adorable little Tallon and Tanner. Tallon, at 4 1/2, a regular little chatter box eager to talk to his older girl cousins. Tanner, 21/2, shy of the new adults, but eager to get in on the action with the other little ones. The scene I had envisioned the night before playing out before our eyes this morning. Wonderful, familial chaos. The kids getting to know one another again. Sad that Riley wasn’t with us, but wonderful anyway. :goodvibes

After the joyful reunion, we packed up and headed down to the rental cars. Steve and Sarah had rented a sweet mini-van with leather and a DVD player. We had a full-size SUV, no leather, no DVD player. Oh well. We loaded the entire traveling circus into the vehicles, and headed to the Boardwalk!

I always marvel at how beautifully decorated Disney is at Christmas. The Boardwalk itself was gorgeous—huge dripping garlands, heavy with ornaments, the Christmas trees, the gingerbread train set up in the lobby…

There was no line, so check in was easy. We got our room keys and headed up—our room was on the 5th floor, right next to the elevators. I had rented a 2-bedroom Villa and a separate studio for my parents (renting points from a DVC member). But something was strange…there was no counter at the breakfast bar…no breakfast bar. Also, the living area looked smaller than we had expected. Interesting….as we poked around some more, we realized that the two bedroom villa was a handicap room. There were no tubs in the rooms (except for the jetted one in the master), and no barrier to keep water from piling up on the bathroom floor during showers.

I called the front desk to see about switching rooms. We really needed a breakfast bar with four kids, and we needed bath tubs and showers with barriers to keep the water from turning the floor into a slip-n-slide. No problem, the wonderful gentleman I spoke to said stop by the front desk, they got us another villa, same floor, not handicap. Great, we would stop by on our way to our lunch at Alfredo’s.

When I got to the front desk, however, no one had any idea what I was taking about. They said there no rooms available and were perturbed that someone had told us there were. They called out a manager type who told me the same thing. She also said we probably didn’t want to change rooms anyway (whatever that meant??). Since by now we were running short on time to get to our 12:00 Alfredo’s ADR, we decided to let it drop and headed to Epcot for lunch. We figured it wasn’t a big deal in the scheme of things!

We walked from the Boardwalk through the International Gateway entrance, crossed the bridge and headed to Italy. There was really no one in World Showcase—the place was practically empty. We enjoyed taking in the sights. When we arrived at Alfredo’s we were shown immediately to our table. I had never dined in the restaurant before and found it fabulous. Our waitresses name was Katja, the same as my daughter—she got a real kick out of that. I had the Fettucine Alfredo—delicious, but very heavy and rich. The kids had plain noodles and seemed to enjoy their lunch.

f0cbd662.jpg

After lunch, we headed back to the Boardwalk. Once in our room, I called the front desk to report a minor maintenance issue. I happened to mention the handi-cap room issue to her—the strange room change that wasn’t, She checked, and then informed me that they HAD changed our rooms! We should bring our old keys down and she would reissue keys for the new room. By this time, Tanner was down for his nap. I asked if it would be possible for us to have 1 hour to make the change, so that the 2 year old could sleep and we could get all of our stuff transferred. No problem, said she! But do call, she asked, as soon as we were out as the room would need to be refreshed for the next folks.

At this point, Steve took the girls and Tallon down to the pool (the “clown waterpark” as Tallon called it) to swim, David went on a grocery run, and Sarah and I started the process of transferring our vast quantities of luggage to the new room. On our first trip to the new digs, we found a maintenance CM in the room, steam cleaning the carpets. He told us he was almost done, and that the carpets would be dry in about an hour. We decided to go ahead and start the transfer anyway— It took us about a ½ hour to complete the process, including the transfer of little Tanner. We opened the doors to the balconies to speed up the carpet drying, and as I was standing on the main balcony I noticed that several people were standing on the balcony of our OLD ROOM. I did a double-take. It had only been about a ½ hour, and we hadn’t even done a final check to make sure we had not left anything behind. It was definitely our old room—we could tell since the balconies were much larger than the standard balconies to accommodate wheelchairs. Sarah and I decided to go down and let the new folks know that if the room looked “used” it was because we had just been there, and that if they found any personal items, well, they would know where they came from! As it turned out, they weren’t very happy with the handicap room either, but they were glad we let them know what was going on—they had indeed detected that “people had been in the room.” Sarah and I marveled that the room had been turned over so quickly without refreshing!

I headed down to the pool—Tanner was still napping—and joined my brother and the other kids. Tallon was having a blast going down the Clown Slide. However, the girls reported that the water was cold, cold, cold. Apparently the water heater was broken. Dang, too bad, since the air temp was only about 69! Still, the kids had fun going from the pool to the hot tub to slide.

After pool time, we herded everyone upstairs for nice hot showers and to get ready for Mickey’s Very Christmas Party. We also spent some serious time decorating the 6 foot Christmas tree I had brought with me. :teeth: The kids had fun putting all of the little Target-special ornaments I had picked up.

f0d0a5a7.jpg

We left to catch the bus a bit past 5:30, and arrived at the Magic Kingdom a bit past 6:00 ( a little later than I had planned, but OK!). Hordes of people were leaving the Kingdom, and a much smaller group of us were entering. Here is where I DEFINITELY got my money’s worth from Tourguide Mike: In the past, they have had Tomorrowland open during the “transition hour” of 6 to 7 p.m. TGM had let all of us subscribers know, just a couple of weeks prior, that they were now opening FRONTIERLAND, not Tomorrowland. So I steered our party toward Frontierland. And can you believe it, they showed SKEPTICISM! They didn’t have faith! Especially when I stopped to ask a traffic-directing CM in front of the castle to confirm my information—when I inquired as to which land was open, she told us that NOTHING was open unti 7:00. Baaaah. My brother told me my intel was no good (former marine that he is). I kept the faith and responded, “My intel is fine. Disney just doesn’t ADVERTISE that part of the park is open. All the better for us.” Still, as we fought the mass hordes of humanity exiting the park, fish upstream, making our way to Frontierland, I could tell that my crew was not sure about this at all, not at all. But never fear! My intel proved solid as a rock :smooth: as we approached Splash Mountain and observed empty logs interspersed every once in awhile by a peopled log. It was open! The ride was a 100% walk on, you didn’t even need to get off your log!! The kids rode Splash 3 times in a row, then we headed next door for Big Thunder Mountain Railroad and did that one twice in a row. Tallon proclaimed his LOVE for both of the rides—this was his first time ever on both of them!!! It was so neat to see the look of rapture on his face.

By now it was 7, so we left Frontierland and headed to Tomorrowland. We all rode Buzz Lightyear (no line), and than Tallon, being a Stitch fan, announced that he had to see Stitch. Absolutely HAD to ride the Stitch ride. Katja and Annika weren’t to wild about the Stitch ride and would rather have passed, but decided to go along with Tallon. I meant to stay with Tanner so Sarah could ride it (not one of my favorites either!), but since there was now line I missed the window of opportunity to bail out and got trapped behind the big doors you are ushered in to begin your Stich Experience. Dang. Steve and Tallon were ahead of us, and Steve selected the very front row of seats. The girls and I joined him…hmmm, we had never done the front row before. I had a clear view of Tallon’s face as Stitch emerged in the teleporting tube thingee. He was spellbound. Then, suddenly, Stitch took aim at Tallon and hit him square in the face with stream of water!!! He hit Steve too!!! The look of shock and betrayal on Tallon’s face was priceless. I was laughing so hard I could hardly contain myself. After the ride, Tallon proclaimed that “Stitch is NOT my friend. Stitch spit on me. Stitch is NOT A FRIEND.” Well, Tallon doesn’t like Stitch anymore! :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

After Stitch, we headed to Space Mountain. This one was going to be tricky since both Tallon and Annika were just on the cusp in terms of height requirements (Annika, at 6 years old, our tiny little peanut, is a hair shorter than Tallon, 4 years old). And, much to Annika’s OUTRAGE, Tallon made the cut and she didn’t. Oh, the injustice of it. While the “taller kids” (can’t say “older” in this case!) rode Space Mountain, Annika got some candy in the gift shop. We promised her that we would try again with different shoes—I mean she was so, so, so close!!!!!

We also rode Winnie the Pooh and did Buzz a couple more times before it was time for the fireworks. We positioned ourselves on the Tomorrowland Bridge for Wishes, right under the Tinkerbell wire. When Wishes started, it took a couple of minutes to realize that the low cloud cover and the FOG yes FOG yes FOG was obscuring the higher pyrotechnics. It was eerie. The sky would light up, but you couldn’t see the fireworks! I have to admit to being disappointed, but it was kind of cool too—especially the grand finale when it got so bright it seemed like day!!!!

After Wishes, another ride on Space Mountain (but alas, not for Annika), and then over to Cosmic Ray’s to get something to eat before the parade. Yes, we were trying to follow Tourguide Mike advice and stay up for the 2nd parade. We had skipped the first parade and done rides (no lines for rides during the first parade!). We got some chicken nuggets, fries and chicken sandwiches. Tallon and Tanner were loosing steam rapidly. We loaded the kids in the strollers and headed to Frontierland to grab spots. By 10:30, we were seated but Tanner was out for the count—sound asleep. Tallon followed soon after, and then out went Annika. When the parade started Annika woke up, and she and Katja had a great time watching right up front, with an unobstructed view. Steve tried to wake up Tallon, but he went into a sleep-walk-fugue- kind of rage about it. He did snap out of it for a bit of the parade, but eventually fell back asleep. Steve taped the whole thing though, and Sarah and I took tons of pictures. I pointed out that we could cut out all of the pictures, glue them on popsicle sticks, and re-enact the parade for his boys!

f0d0a27c.jpg

f0d0a075.jpg

Since the kids were pretty much out, we decided to leave the Magic Kingdom as opposed to squeezing in a few more rides while the park cleared. It wasn’t too bad getting out of MK, and the wait for the bus was no longer than 5 minutes—we had been scared by stories of 1 hour waits!!! All in all, a smooth exit.

We arrived back at the Boardwalk sometime after midnight, and said goodnight. It had been a wonderful Christmas Party—we had some Pixie Dust left afterall.

Tomorrow—Wonderland Tea Party, MGM Studios, and Chef Mickey’s

Monday, December 19 Wonderland Tea Party, Disney-MGM Studios, Chef Mickey’s

Since it had been a late night, we all slept in and had a leisurely morning. David cooked a wonderful breakfast of eggs, bacon and bagels which we all very much enjoyed.

When we were ready, we took both cars and drove to the Grand Floridian. We arrived around noon, planning to take some time to check out the GF and ride the monorail. The lobby of the Grand Floridian, as usual, is splendid. The tree is magnificent (I realized that the Boardwalk doesn’t really have a big flagship tree, like the Wilderness Lodge, the GF or Animal Kingdom Lodge). We checked out the gigantic Gingerbread house (it’s a working candy shop too), but since the line was ridiculously long, we didn’t buy any candy. Then we hopped on the monorail for a spin around the monorail resort area. We got off at the Polynesian and spent some time poking around. My brother Steve announced that next time, he would like to stay here—he was especially impressed by the new Volcano Pool. I like the hotel, but I can’t say it is my favorite!

By the time we got back to the GF, it was time to check the kids in for the Wonderland Tea Party at 1900 Park Fare. Tallon, Annika and Katja would be partaking, while the adults and Tanner had lunch at the Grand Floridian Café. The timing worked out perfectly—I had make a 1:00 ADR for the Café, and by the time our buzzer went off that our table was ready, it was 1:30, starting time for the tea party. Yeah! We enjoyed a lovely lunch—I had the Cobb salad, can’t remember what anyone else had—and then went to pick the kids up.

The Wonderland Tea Party is such a cute activity! It is hosted by Alice and the Mad Hatter. The kids get to eat their desert before lunch, “just like in Wonderland.” They eat decorate-your-own cupcakes, sandwiches and fruit, and applejuice (not tea). They play games, follow-the-leader and such. My girls love that they get to go crawling under tables in the restaurant! When we arrived to pick the kids up, Steve tried to peek through the curtains to check on the action, and in unison the children all shouted at the top of their lungs “NO PEEKING!” When the doors opened, all of the kids had their heads down on the table. As the adults enter, they shout out “SURPRISE!!!!” and present the parents with a small boquet of flowers.

f0d04d51.jpg

We left the GF and drove to Disney-MGM Studios, arriving just in time for the 3:30 Holly Days Parade. I had planned to go all the way back to Star Tours to snag a viewing spot, but Steve managed to find a perfect, right-up-front unobstructed spot on the street just outside the Villain Store. While we waited for the parade to start, David went to Tower of Terror to get fastpasses (return time of 4:30), and I ducked into the Villian shop and purchased sweatshirts for the girls, who were cold (now they would be “double sweat-shirted” and warm).

The Holly Days parade was great fun. My nephew, 4 year old Tallon, is a Power Ranger fanatic, and seeing the Rangers in the parade really made his day. The Red Power Ranger, Jack, got a kick out of my brother yelling out “YOU GO JACK!!! YOU ROCK!!!!” at the top of his lungs, in his strongest Marine Corps voice. I’m glad I got it on video! After the parade we still had some time before our ToT fastpasses could be used, so we headed toward Indians Jones—perfect, the 4:15 show was just starting. We got good seats and enjoyed the stunt show.

f0ce06f3.jpg

Now it was getting close to 5:00, and time to use our 4:30 Tower of Terror fastpasses, so we headed back to Sunset Blvd. The kids got to ride two times, since we did the baby swap. Tallon called it the “spooky ride,” and while he did go ahead and ride twice, he wasn’t too keen on the whole experience.

Wow, we had packed quite a bit of MGM fun into 2 ½ hours! At 6:00, we left MGM and drove the two cars to the Contemporary for our 6:40 ADR at Chef Mickey’s. I had been in favor of canceling the Chef Mickey ADR, but my daughter Katja informed me that Chef Mickey’s is a TRADITION, and we simply HAD TO DO IT. Okay! I was worried since the ADR was so late that we were going to run into a looonggggg wait, so Sarah and I were prepared to do some power shopping at the Grand Concourse shops. We snagged a nice comfy waiting space in the Outer Rim Lounge and settled in…BUT ABRA-CADABRA! After 10 minutes our table was ready! Amazing! :p Even though my shopping was cut short (Sarah managed to use that 10 minutes for a mini-shopping-marathon), I wasn’t complaining. The buffet wasn’t impressive—I have definitely had better at Chef Mickey’s—but it was okay. The character interaction was great, and both Tallon and Tanner warmed right up to them. They especially liked Mickey and Minnie, and I was glad we got to see the head mice so early in our trip. After dinner, it was home to the Boardwalk and to bed—tomorrow was an early day at Epcot!

f0c69836.jpg

Fun report so far... can't wait to read the rest. Thanks for sharing.

I really enjoyed reading this section of your report. We were there from the 17th to the 23rd so I found it very interesting to see what someone else's experience was during that time. Thank you - looking forward to the rest of the trip.

December 20, Day 4—Epcot and Animal Kingdom

We were up (relatively) early for our day at Epcot. We planned to drive there (yes, we were a short walk via the International Gateway entrance, but it doesn’t open until AFTER the main entrance!) and wanted to be at the entrance by 8:40. The kids ate frootloops at the breakfast counter (so glad we had it!), but the adults didn’t really do a proper breakfast.

We were through the turnstiles and waiting with the largish crowd at the rope by 8:50. Of course, our first item on the agenda was Soarin. We walked with the crowd to the Land—sheesh, unbelievable how many people beat feat to ‘Soarin! I volunteered to stay with Tanner, since I have been on Soarin Over California countless times at DCA. It looked as if we missed the mass hordes, and the group was in without a hitch. I got a rider-switch pass and then went to the waiting area where I also got fastpasses so we could all ride again later. I then took Tanner up the escalator to the Kidcot station where he got to spend some time wrestling with markers and drawing on a venus fly trap. We were the only ones at the Kidcot station.

After 15 minutes or so, we headed back down to the waiting area. Tanner seemed content to sit on a bench with me—amazing for that active little two year old! As we were sitting there, a CM came over the PA system announcing that they were having some technical difficulties, and that the wait for those now entering the queu was a MINIMUM of 1 hour!! I approached the CM desk and asked about those who had entered 15 or so minutes ago, “Oh, that’s close,” she said, “Probably 20 minutes to an hour—not very helpful am I?” Errr, I had no idea how much longer they would be. Just about that time, out they came!!! No problems. They had been some of the very first in the ride, and got through quickly and without a hitch. Definitely not the time to ride again though—even with rider-switch the wait was an hour.

After ‘Soarin, we headed to Mission Space, and got fastpasses for Test Track. Annika had her pink sandals on today, with a bit more of heel than her sneakers. We were hoping that THIS TIME she would clear the 44 inch mark that kept her off of Space Mountain. YES!!! Success, she cleared it with room to spare. :cool1: Sarah decided she didn’t want to risk to getting nauseated, so she sat this one out with Tanner.

Next, we made our way to Norway for the Storybook Princess Breakfast. Here, we encountered a ridiculously long wait for our table…FINALLY we got seated. I have to admit, it was worth the wait. The food was scrumptious (and we were starving!), and the kids (Tallon in particular!!) enjoyed the Princesses. We had Jasmine, Aurora, Mulan, Snow White and Belle—IN HER YELLOW DRESS! Tallon really got into the autograph thing, and whipped his book out at the first glimpse of a character.

f0c69201.jpg

When we were finished with breakfast, we headed over to Test Track to use our fastpasses. Again, all of the kids got to ride twice in a row since we did the baby-swap. I had wanted to go straight to the Living Seas for Turtle Talk, but the rest of the crew didn’t want to go ALL THE WAY THERE and then come ALL THE WAY BACK for Test Track, so we waited. I was worried about the wait time for Turtle Talk. As it turned out, we wound up with a 2-show wait (gasp, gag, gasp, gasp—breaking my “no longer than 20 minute wait” rule!!!) which was 40 minutes. It wasn’t too bad though, since the kids could walk through the exhibits and hang out at the Kidcot station. While we were waiting, we also got to see the scuba divers put on a show, so all in all, not bad! The time went by quickly. Turtle Talk itself was FANTASTIC. It truly is an amazing show.

By the time we were done with Turtle Talk it was about 2:00, and we decided to head back to the Boardwalk for naps/rests/swimming before going to Animal Kingdom for EMH from 5-8. I was reluctant to do ANY evening magic hours, since my experience with them in April had been horrid, except for AK. I thought we would give AK a try again, but no other parks.

We caught the bus to Animal Kingdom at about 4:45 and arrived shortly after 5:00. We made our way to the wrist band place near It’s Tough To Be a Bug and got our wristbands, then, since we were close, we went to ITTBAB. Such a funny show! Tallon freaked when the “bugs crawled on my butt,” but other than that seemed to enjoy it. It took my daughter Katja several years and at least 5 shows before she could sit through the whole thing!

Next, we headed to Dinoland and caught TARZAN ROCKS. I love this show, and so does Sarah. We are both saddened that it is in its final month!!! :guilty: Sarah really wanted to see it since on her last trip, three years ago, we missed it. It was a lot of fun—Tanner covered his poor little ears with his hands the entire time, but all of the other kids appeared well entertained.

After the show, we thought we might try Dinosaur or some other Dinoland attractions, if the lines weren’t too long. Well, they were. When I had come to the EMH evening back in April, Dinoland had been deserted. Oh well. We played a couple of carnival games and then decided to feed the kids. We went to Restaurantasauraus (or however you spell it, eek). It took WAY TOO LONG for McDonald’s food, but everyone was pretty hungry. The adults had been looking forward to the specialty safari? beer, but something was wrong with the tap and all they had was Bud Light (yuck), but we got it anyway. Heck, lucky to have beer at a Mickey Dee’s anyway.

Last item on the agenda before leaving: Kali River Rapids! We had saved it for last in anticipation of getting wet. As we made our way to Asia, we finally found the deserted section of the park!!! No one at all was around. When we got to Kali, it too was pretty much deserted. I had brought ponchos in an attempt to ward off hypothermia, and we all donned them. David volunteered to stay behind with Tanner—chicken!!! He just didn’t want to get soaked. Party pooper.

We rode four times in a row—all the way to closing time at 8:00— without getting off. Sarah, Katja, Tallon, Annika and I all sat on one side, and Steve, thinking strategically, sat opposite us on the other side. Of course, that meant that OUR SIDE went over the falls and hit the bottom EVERYTIME, soaking us and keeping him dry!!!! The sneak!!!! Sarah and I seriously contemplated getting up and sitting next to him, but we didn’t. In any event, it was great fun, with everyone chanting “Steve, Steve, STEVE, STEVE!!!” every time we headed toward the drop.

In the end, our ponchos didn’t provide the greatest of protection, and our jeans were pretty soaked (except Steve’s of course). We were a pretty sorry sight hobbling out to the busses! Luckily, we didn’t have to wait too long for our bus, and were back at the Boardwalk in no time!

We got the kids into bed, and then the adults stayed up and chatted for a bit. My DH, David, had kindly volunteered to pick my parents up at the airport—flight due in shortly after midnight, the wee hours of the morn! I think he really just wanted a free pass to get out of going to MGM in the morning, but it was still very sweet of him. So David went to bed early to get a few zzzzz’s before heading to the airport.

Tomorrow—Nana and Poppa are finally here, MGM studios, and the Hoop Dee Doo!!

Hi there! Thought I had read your report twice for a moment, but its because I had read another thread about the Riley situation (so sorry about that). Loving the reports, and you're really getting a lot in, will look out for more,

Claire xx

Enjoying reading your reports ~ Thanx for sharing.

Thanks guys! Fizz, I was so mad I just had to post a quick summary as soon as I got back! I couldn't wait to get my whole report done :rolleyes1

So, here are the next two days--

December 21—Day Five—MGM Studios, Nana and Poppa arrive, and the Hoop Dee Doo

We were up fairly early, preparing for our MGM day. Nana and Poppa had arrived, but since they had not made it back to the hotel until 2 a.m., they would be sleeping for a while! David, having picked them up, also had his free pass to sleep in. On top of that, my mother, still recovering from her appendectomy, needed all the rest she could get.

We made it to MGM before opening. Once the rope dropped, Steve and Sarah took all of the kids to find the Power Rangers at Streets of America while I went to get fastpasses for ToT and Rock-N-Roller Coaster. I rejoined the rest of the gang just as the Power Ranger mobile-whatever-ya-call it pulled up, blasting the Power Ranger music. Tallon was in awe, absolute awe, as he watched their approach. The Rangers got out one by one and were introduced, posing their Power Ranger Poses the whole time. Hardly any people were around, so it was almost like having the Rangers to ourselves. Tallon posed with with Jack first, then made the rounds. My girls aren’t real Power Ranger fans, but I did get them to pose with the Pink Ranger, and they got a kick out of watching Tallon and Tanner interact with the rangers. :p

f0cdda78.jpg

f0cdd2af.jpg

f0c68d00.jpg

f0cdcfc2.jpg

After the Ranger meet, we headed to use the fastpasses—I took Annika on ToT (Tallon passed on the Spooky ride) while Steve and Katja rode Rock-N-Roller Coaster. Then we used a rider switch, and I rode with Katja so she got to go twice. After ToT and RnR, we made our way to Star Tours. Sarah and I stayed with Tanner, and Steve took the kids (motion sickness and all that—I can’t believe Star Tours is doing that to me now!!!).

It was now approaching 11, and everyone was getting hungry. I had an ADR for Sci Fi diner for 12:45—we decided to see if we could get it early. No problem! We were seated right away. This was our first experience at the Sci Fi—what a cool place! We loved it! The “drive-in” theme is well done. We were escorted into the large “theater” area, filled with cars, and seated in two 4-person cars, right next to each other. The kids LOVED watching the cheesy scenes on the big screen in front of us. The eerie part is how QUIET the place—there doesn’t seem to be the constant roar of children chatter as there is in most other WDW eateries. Other than the movie dialogue, it is actually kind of peaceful! :cloud9:

f0cdbe2a.jpg

f0cdbcb0.jpg

While at Sci Fi, I called David to see if Nana and Poppa were up and about yet. My mother was still sleeping, but he had just made breakfast for my dad. He reported that Nana had a very rough night, and needed rest, so there was no need for us to rush back right away.

After lunch, we went to Pizza Planet—no, not to eat again!—since Steve really had a thing about checking it out. We played a couple of games. On our way out something happened that I forgot to mention in the earlier report. To back up a bit—when we were at baggage claim at the Orlando airport, we ran into neighbors who live just down the street from us. Never have I run into folks I know, especially being from way out here in Washington State—it was so funny! We had just bought Boyscout Popcorn from the son, and my daughter is in swim lessons and cheercamp with their daughter. It turned out that they were going to be at WDW for two weeks, staying in an offsite condo. We joked about running into each other in the World, but figured it wouldn’t happen. Well, wouldn’t you know it, right there in Pizza Planet we ran into them again!!! Just an odd, funny thing that happened to us… :confused3

It was sometime after 1:00 when we made it back to the Boardwalk. Poppa reported that Nana was “ready for visitors” so we tromped the crew down to their room and had a joyous reunion. Nana was feeling a bit wobbly, but was hanging in there. Then little Tanner took a nap and the rest of us headed to the pool since it was a beautiful sunny day. The kids swam while the adults sat poolside and chatted. It was quite nice (and the pool heater was fixed, yeah!!!!).

Tonight was our 7:00 Hoop Dee Doo, so after pool-time, we got ready and headed out, piling all of us into our two rentals. We stopped at Downtown Disney for an hour on our way—after all, it was getting close to Christmas and there was much shopping to be done!

We arrived at Fort Wilderness and parked the cars, then took a bus to Pioneer Hall. Last time we had taken a boat, since we had stayed at Wilderness Lodge. I do prefer the boat! It was neat to see all of the camper’s Christmas decorations though—some of them are unbelievable! When we got to Pioneer Hall I picked up the tickets, and then we got a family photo. The background for the photos has really changed in three years—it used to be an elaborate wooden something-or-other with room to plop the whole family on; now it is just one barrel with a poinsettia on top! Oh well.

The Hoop Dee Doo was FANTASTIC. So much fun!!!! I had made the reservations a year and a half ago, so we had an excellent table, three tables from the stage, front and center. We couldn’t have had better seats. My poor father got singled out for a lap-sitting routine by Claire, one of the “naughty” performers. We all just about died laughing as Claire sat in Poppa’s lap and went through her routine. My daughter Katja was dying of embarrassment though! The food was delicious—all you can eat family style ribs, chicken, corn, salad, bread and beans. Our server noticed that my daughters weren’t eating much, so she brought them some macaroni. The Hoop Dee Doo is one of my all time favorite WDW activities! :love:

f0cdb43c.jpg

f0cdad27.jpg

f0cdb0d2.jpg

f0cda568.jpg

After the show, happy and content, we did the bus-car routine and returned to the Boardwalk. In the lobby, we caught some extra entertainment and watched a hilarious juggler go through his routine. It was quite funny. Then up and to bed—tomorrow was the Magic Kingdom!!!

December 22—Day 6, The Magic Kingdom!

We all got up, and David fixed some more wonderful breakfast. The whole crew, Nana and Poppa included, were going to MK today. Deciding to take the bus, we made our way down to the bus terminal and arrived at the Magic Kingdom right about 9:00. There was a largish crowd headed down Main Street, but they were quickly swallowed by the rest of park so it seemed sparsely populated once off in the “lands”. I volunteered to go get Space Mountain Fastpasses while the rest of the crew headed to Fantasyland. Annika had her chunky-heeled sandals, so we were going for a Space Mountain score for her! By the time I got back to Fantasyland, they had done Peter Pan and were just finishing up Snow White. Next, we all did Mickey’s Philharmagic, which was thoroughly enjoyed by all!!!

Finally, it was time for SPACE MOUNTAIN!!! Nana and Poppa separated from us at this point to do some shopping. I gave Poppa one of our cell phones so we could stay in contact. On to Space Mountain! Would Annika make the height cut this time? We approached the FastPass return line, and…they didn’t even measure her! Well, she was on!!! Finally!! :teeth: :teeth: She got to sit in the very front car. I was so happy it worked out for her, and she was so, so, excited. The ride shakes the marbles out of me, but the kids sure love it!

After Space, I realized that we were late for our 10:30 Crystal Palace ADR. We made our way to the CP, but they were finished serving breakfast. They told me we could wait for the 11:00 lunch seating, and they would seat us right away. David took our tickets and went to get fastpasses for Splash Mountain. We wandered over to Casey’s where, wouldn’t ya know it, we ran into Nana Poppa enjoying ice cream in the outdoor seating area. It was pleasant and sunny, so we spent some time chatting. Then I got a call from David, “Uh, how many tickets did you give me?” Oh no!!!!!! :earseek: One of the tickets had blown away when he was getting fastpasses—the tape in the fastpass machine had run out, the fastpass fluttered away, he grabbed for it…well, you know how that goes… So, we had a few moments of panic (okay, maybe more than panic, Sarah and I were FREAKING OUT), it was Tallon’s ticket, and Sarah didn’t think it could be replaced. All was fine however—David collected the rest of Sarah and Steve’s tickets, took them to Guest Services, they traced the missing ticket and issued a new one. No problems!

We were seated at Crystal Palace at precisely 11:00. Lunch was scrumptious—by far the best buffet I have had at WDW!!!!! We all agreed, absolutely heavenly. The kids got to interact with Pooh, Tigger, Eyeore and Piglet. Tanner was adorable, he wanted to give Pooh lots of hugs!

f0cd9547.jpg

f0cba516.jpg

After lunch, we caught the Cinderellabration show in front of the castle, where my parents rejoined us. After the show, Nana and Poppa decided to head back to the Boardwalk, since they were getting tired. The rest of us made our way to Splash Mountain to use our Fastpasses. We did have to wait about 10 minutes, not because of a line but because the dang ride broke down! It started back up just as we were thinking about bailing out…The kids got to ride twice in a row (gotta love baby-swap), and then it was time to head back to the Boardwalk ourselves. Since we were right next to the train station, we decided to ride the steamer back to Main Street. Tanner, who absolutely loves trains and entertains us with a steady stream of “CHOO CHOO” noises was silly with delight as we awaited and then boarded the train.

Back at the Boardwalk, Nana was taking a nap. My dad reported that they had waited ½ hour for their bus from MK. Hmmm, we hadn’t waited at all. Perhaps it was because they departed around noon, too early for a lot of departure busses, and we hadn’t left until 2ish?? I don’t know. Other than that incident however, we had no issues waiting for busses at all. (However, I DID have issues with Boardwalk being the VERY LAST bus stop after Swan, Dolphin, Beach and Yacht Clubs! Five stops/resorts for one bus seems like too many!).

We spent a relaxing afternoon at the pool and dinking around the Boardwalk. The pool heater had finally kicked in full blast, and the kids reported that water was cozy warm. Indeed it was. I couldn’t believe how COLD it had been the first three days, and the kids had actually gone in the water!!

For dinner, we went to Spoodles on the Boardwalk. I had a 7:30 ADR, which worked out PERFECTLY. It is one of my favorite restaurants. As usual, the food was delicious, and we had a very pleasant family dinner. The kids enjoyed their food and were well behaved, the adults enjoyed their food and good wine, and were well behaved too! It was a nice end to a magical day! :goodvibes

Tomorrow: MK part 2, and Cinderella’s Royal Table

Great report! I'm glad Nana was able to make it, sorry about the Riley situation. :( Looking forward to more. :)

Lovely report again, glad nana is coping with the trip. Sig photo is very cute too, nice to put faces to the names and they look so happy,

Claire xx

Wow, I figured out how to add pictures!

December 23—Day 7, Magic Kingdom , CRT and FANTASMIC

So this was the day I had landed our Cinderella’s Royal Table ADR. It also was an EMH day, with MK opening at 8:00 rather than 9:00. Our ADR was for 8:30, and we planned to arrive by 8:00 so we could hit a couple of rides prior to breakfast. So far, I hadn’t planned ANY EMH mornings, which, I must say, was quite nice. I usually take advantage of them, especially at MK, and am a pro at rolling the kids out of the hotel at 6:30 a.m. Our final day in the World, December 26th, would be our only scheduled 6:30 a.m. departure call. On that day (well EVERY DAY, actually, the week after Christmas) MK had a 7:00 a.m. EMH, and we fully planned to take advantage of it! Steve and Sarah’s didn’t need to leave for the airport until 1:00, so it would work perfectly.

Anyway, this wasn’t a 7 a.m. EMH, but an 8 a.m. one, so we didn’t have any trouble getting up and out the door. We went back and forth about driving or taking the bus, and finally settled on driving. BIG MISTAKE! Everything went smoothly until we were at the TTC. The dang monorail wasn’t running!!!! Aaaarghhh!! We were stuck on the thing a good 20 minutes and didn’t arrive at MK until 8:20, way to late to ride ANYTHING before our ADR. Still, the park was nice and empty as we walked down Main Street—very magical. We also found a soaking wet double stroller just sitting in the middle of the street—no tag, apparently left out overnight? We decided to take it—we could dry it off with papertowels, although in its current state it was pretty useless.

We arrived at the castle and checked in. No wait—a pleasant surprise since the two times we have done CRT we waited for QUITE SOME TIME in the castle lobby. What WAS NOT a pleasant surprise was seeing the hideous line for Cinderella!!!!! I had known that major changes had occurred with CRT, but I certainly wasn’t expecting a LINE for Cinderella! In the good ol days, Fairy Godmother held the lobby throne, and Cindy visited the tables. Sigh…The main reason we do CRT (and all of the character breakfasts for that matter) is to AVOID waiting in lines for the characters, for Cinderella. Yuck. We skipped Cinderella and went up for breakfast. The food was quite good, and we got to interact with Snow White, Belle (in her Blue dress), Aurora, and Fairy Godmother. After we were done eating, Steve and Sarah took the kids downstairs to wait in line for Cindy while I paid the check. (Oh, I forgot to mention that I had purchased the DISNEY DINING EXPERIENCE card, which gave us a 20% discount at just about all the Disney restaurants, including CRT!!!). I think that in the future, I will not do CRT. Cinderella’s Gala Feast is a terrific meal, and Cinderella STILL comes to your table, along with Prince Charming and the mice. Plus, it’s less expensive. Well, at least we got to eat in the castle, and Tallon had never done that before, so I’m still glad we did it.

f0c6be62.jpg

After breakfast we rode Pooh (no line) and then went to the rope drop at Mickey’s ToonTown Fair. The kids were right up front and got lots of quality character interaction! They remembered the opening of ToonTown from past visits and really wanted to be there, so it worked out well. We walked with Goofy to Goofy’s Barnstormer, and he got on with us for the first ride of the day! It was a lot of fun. Even little Tanner got to ride. Then we spent some time exploring Mickey’s and Minnie’s houses, and, since there was absolutely no line, we met Mickey again!!! He was so good with the kids, especially Tanner.

f0cd6d41.jpg

f0cd612b.jpg

Next, we took the back “secret” walkway from ToonTown to Tomorrowland for another spin on Space Mountain. Sarah and I decided neither of us were up to the shaking, so we got a rider-switch and Steve used it to take the three other kids, while she and I hung out with Tanner.

By now it was after 11, and we decided to head back to the Boardwalk so we could rest up for tonight at MGM and Fantasmic. We were hoping to get there in time for Lights, Action, Motor Cars, and we had a 4:40 at Hollywood and Vine for the Fantasmic Package. It was another beautiful, sunny day, pleasantly warm but only about 70 or so. We all spent time poolside while the kids swam and played. I checked the times schedule for MGM, and it looked as if there was no way we were going to make LMA. Oh well, we’d do it tomorrow—we had an MGM morning scheduled.

f0cd5752.jpg

We got to MGM and were running late. No time to really do anything before dinner. Headed to Hollywood and Vine and got seated fairly quickly. I really had wanted Mama Melrose or Brown Derby for our Fantasmic Package, but this was okay. The buffet was okay, but still not as good as our Crystal Palace food! At 6:30 we made our way to Oscar’s and went in through the “back” way. Our seats were pretty good—the middle of the second section from the far right. We purchased light up toys, cotton candy, and beer, and enjoyed the show!

After Fantasmic, we went to the Osbourne Spectacle of Lights. I was expecting it to be extremely crowded, but it wasn’t at all! It was gorgeous. We all loved it. My family has been to WDW multiple times over Christmas, but we had never made it to the lights! Katja was especially tickled that it was snowing—there was a lot more snow than there had been at MVMP. We spent some time taking in the Lights, and then we hit the Power Ranger merchandise for Tallon!!!! It had been difficult to find, but we hit the jackpot here (makes sense, this is where the Ranger meet-n-greet occurs).

f0cd4b50.jpg

Back at the Boardwalk we found Santa in the lobby, with no one around! So the kids got to spend some quality time with the man himself. All in all, a wonderful day and evening. We made our way back to the Boardwalk and tucked the kids in for the night.

Tomorrow—THE YAK ATTACK BEGINS!!!!!!!!!

December 24—Day 8, Christmas Eve, THE YAK ATTACK BEGINS!

Well, today would mark the final assault on our Pixie Dust. During the night, I had heard Tallon crying. Sounded like he was having a rough night. Upon waking, I found out that he had spent the night yakking his poor little guts out. We all theorized that perhaps it was all the pool water he had swallowed yesterday (Katja reported that he was gleefully swallowing vast quantities of the stuff). Sarah thought maybe it was an ear infection. Whatever it was, poor guy, he just wasn’t snapping out of it. The vomiting continued, interspersed with sleeping.

We decided to make an easy morning of it, rather than trying to get over to MGM for LMA or Epcot for Soarin (Nana and Poppa hadn’t been on it yet). Also, it WAS Christmas Eve and we still had shopping to do!!!! We figured we could squeeze LMA and Soarin in on Christmas Day or on the 26th. They were pretty much the last 2 “musts” for this trip. (The 26th was last day for all of us—Steve and Sarah and family were flying home, and Nana, Poppa and my family were headed down to Marco Island for a three day stay).

Sarah took Tanner and Katja to do some shopping at Downtown Disney, and my parents went with them. David tagged along as well, but I think he went off property. Steve stayed in the Villa with Tallon, who was completely out of it.

Annika and I decided to go to Epcot. I was thinking about getting fastpasses for Soarin (although we still had good fastpasses from our first ride—since the ride had been “down” they said they would honor them). Annika and I had a nice lunch at La Chefs De France, and then did some Epcot power shopping and listened to some of the Holidays Around the World storytelling. I really enjoyed lunch—it was the first time I had been to La Chefs.

f0cd3a99.jpg

Later, we regrouped and prepared the troops for our 4:40 Rose-n-Crown and Candlelight Processional. Steve and Tallon were going to sit it out. By this time, Steve was starting to feel queasy and thought he might be getting whatever Tallon had. So the rest of us mustered and headed to the Rose and Crown.

We were seated outside (at first I was disappointed, but when Katja informed me that she couldn’t STAND the smell inside—stale beer?—and the music was horrible, I was glad!). David and Poppa ordered the Imperial beer sampler. I had a couple of the Bollington beers (I think that’s it). We all got cheese platters and mushroom soup for appetizers. At this point, Annika informed me that she was going to throw up. I rushed her to the bathroom, but it was a false alarm. She didn’t want to eat anything though. For dinner, I had the Chicken Pasty, yummy. Everyone else had the fish and chips and pronounced it the best they had ever had. For desert, we ordered an assortment of different things, most of which went in the to-go boxes to take back to Steve! Our Candlelight Package dinner included appetizer AND dessert, so we had a ton of food!

f0cd3670.jpg

We finished up without much time to spare, and beat feet over to the American Pavilion for the 6:45 Candlelight. There was already a huge line for the next show, and my parents tried to get into THAT line. After a bit of confusion, we were in, and got seats on the far right side. Not the best, but at least we weren’t directly behind a tree (or freezing our buns off!) as in previous years. John Cavieziel was our narrarator. He was good, but I really liked Captain Dan better.

After the Candlelight we decided to forego Illuminations—we needed to get back to the Boardwalk for some serious Christmas preparations!

Before bed, there was a flurry of wrapping activity. My girls are very much into wrapping presents, so I couldn’t get them out of the “wrapping room,”—they insisted on doing their own wrapping! Tallon was feeling a lot better by now, and seemed to back to his regular self. He was very excited for a visit from Santa, that’s for sure! Finally, we got the kids settled in for the night (but not before setting out cookies and milk for Santa!), and Sarah and I finished with all of the additional Christmas preparations.

By 10, we were done and ready to go. Steve really wasn’t feeling well, though, and was apologetic that he couldn’t join us for some Christmas Eve adult talk and cheer. Well, we were all pretty pooped anyway. We all tucked in for the night, anxiously awaiting our visit from Santa!

December 25—day 9—CHRISTMAS DAY AND THE YAK ATTACK CONTINUES--but we do get to Animal Kingdom!

Oh dear, Oh dear. During the night, Annika got the yaks. Yes, poor thing. Morning came, and both girls were beside themselves…they couldn’t wait to get out into to living room! Annika, soldiering through her sickness, mustered some excitement, but she was in rough shape. She couldn’t even walk out to the living room, so I carried her, and set her on the sofa.

f0cd314f.jpg

f0cd306a.jpg

Then the mayhem began! The kids went nuts opening their presents. They had a great time. Santa had finished the milk and cookies, and he had even left a note! Poor Annika couldn’t keep up though—she dozed off with most of her presents unopened. When she woke up I sat next to her and helped her open some.

f0cd2e5f.jpg

f0cd2d8a.jpg

f0cd2697.jpg

Once the chaos had quieted down a bit, we ate. The night before, we had ordered two big family breakfast platters for this a.m.—our Christmas morning feast. The food was delicious.

Animal Kingdom was on the agenda today, and Tallon seemed back to himself, so we decided to go through with the plan. David would stay back with Annika, and the rest of us would go. But then suddenly Tanner heaved up his cookies—mass quantities of SAUSAGE. Gross. We cleaned it up as best we could, and mousekeeping came up with a steam cleaner and disinfectant. They were great.

For some reason, we decided to stay in denial, deluding ourselves, and chalking his yakking up to eating too much sausage—yeah, right, after we already had 2 yakkers and he was the third!

Around noon, we headed down to the busses. And yes, we took Tanner with us. And yes, he yakked again. Poor Tanner started losing his cookies all over the bus stop. It was not a pretty picture. He went at it pretty good. We called the front desk to let them know a clean-up was needed, Steve headed back to the room with Tanner, and the rest of us went on to Animal Kingdom.

We arrived around 1:00 and it wasn’t very crowded. We got right on Kilamanjaro Safaris, no wait. Then we did the Pangani trail, and headed to Camp Mickey Minnie for Festival of the Lion King. I can’t believe it, but that was the first time I have ever seen that show! It was good. Then we did some shopping, and wrapped up our outing to AK. Short but sweet. It was getting pretty warm out, unbelievably!

f0cd10b0.jpg

We got back to the Boardwalk and found Annika up and about, feeling a lot better. Steve and Tanner were both sleeping—Steve wasn’t doing so well either. He was pretty sure he had the yakking sickness. Annika wanted a re-do of Christmas—poor little thing didn’t remember anything! We repacked her stocking and put some of her presents in gift bags, and let her go to it.

I had a 4:30 ADR for Alfredo’s, but we decided we all wanted to stay together for our Christmas meal, so we decided to stay in and carry up pizza. When I called to cancel the ADR—for 11 people!—the CM asked me “You want to cancel Alfredo’s, on Christmas day? Are you sure???” She acted as if I were crazy! Yes, I was sure. Well, at least it would make some other family’s Christmas! And our family had a wonderful pizza feast, and we were all together (well, except for Riley, sniff, sniff).

After dinner, Katja started feeling ill. She started crying because she didn’t want to be sick and she wanted to go to Illuminations with us. She was determined to try to go, but as the time neared, she threw in the towel. David wanted to lay a bet on who would throw up first—Katja or Steve.

At 9:00, Sarah and I took Tallon and Annika (feeling better now!) and walked over to the International Gateway, and stood on the bridge that goes to France. We had a great view of Illuminations. I was a little let down because there was no “fire on the water.” I guess there was some explosion a couple of months ago, and they haven’t worked out the kinks.

When we got back, Katja had indeed tossed her cookies. Steve was holding on, but only just. Wow, what a Christmas day!

So sorry about the sickness, but thanks for sharing your wonderful report and pix. You have beautiful daughters/nephews (is it okay to call little boys, beautiful? :blush: ).

Sharon

Oh boy, what a Xmas! No fun for anyone involved I'm sure. BTW, glad you liked my native food at Rose and Crown, sounds like the smell was the same as at home; stale beer, thick cigarette smoke, and nasty language :rotfl2: Be glad you got the sanitised Epcot version!

Claire xx

It's too bad that so many of you were sick. I'm glad you didn't let it ruin your trip! I have been really enjoying your report.

Mel

I loved reading your report. I'm glad Nana could be there, so sorry about Riley. I feel so bad about the sickness...it's just terrible to be sick on Christmas, let alone at Disney World. I'm glad you all had a good trip and stayed positive. You have a beautiful family!! :wizard:

I really enjoyed reading your trip reports and looking at your photo's. Thank you so much for taking the time to post them!

How did you manage getting all those gifts to the resort? What a wonderful Christmas!!!

Thanks for reading everybody, and thanks so much for your kind comments! Lucky, we brought WAY TOO MUCH luggage, and packed bags inside bags for the return trip. We also purchased lots of Disney stuff for Christmas presents once we were there!

Well, here's the last tiny bit of the report:

December 26—Last Day in the World

Our last day in the World was rather anti-climatic—so my trip report will end on a puking-not-park hopping note, and for that, I apologize!

Originally, we were schedule to do the 7 a.m. MK Extra Magic Hour. Later in the trip, we thought maybe we would use our last day as a catch-up day to do LMA and Narnia, or ‘Soarin, or both—stuff we had on the list but missed—instead of a 7 a.m. MK.

Welll…..Christmas night, our last night, I got to puke all night!!!! :crazy2: My gosh, the crud hit me like a ton of bricks. Unbelievable. Steve wound up yakking all night too, so did Katja, and so did Poppa. Katja was sleeping in the same bed as me, and she yakked all over the bed. I got up, in my sad, sorry, nauseated state, and changed the bedding (how in the world I managed it, I do not know), and then I took all the towels we had left and layered the bed with them--good thing too. I cursed myself for not paying the extra 6 bucks for daily towel service (we were hording the dang things as if they were gold, for heaven's sake!)

So much for our last day!!! In fact, it was all we could do to get our sorry bums out of the Villa by 11:00, let alone hit a park or two. David was really a hero though—I really could hardly move, and he did ALL of the packing. I usually do it, so I was extremely grateful. Poor Katja was crying because 1) she felt so miserable, 2) we were leaving the World, and 3) she was already missing Steve, Sarah, Tallon and Tanner (even though we had not yet parted ways!). She really is a tender-hearted sweetie. :angel:

Steve and his family were packed and out the door a bit after 11. They wanted to exchange some clothing in Downtown Disney for different sizes before heading to the airport. The rest of us, Nana and Poppa included, were out the door by 11:30, on our way to Marco Island! We had so much luggage that we left two of the big suitcases with the Bellhop, to pick up on our way to the airport on the 30th.

Katja and I slept for most of the 4 hour drive. It was not very comfortable, and my back really paid the next day (but the rest of me was doing better)!!! In any event, we had a wonderful time at Marco, even though the weather did not get above 75 for the three days we were there. We took Nana to Cracker Barrel to celebrate her 66th birthday on Dec 27th--there are NO Cracker Barrel restaurants on the West Coast, and she absolutely loves them. We got lots of beach time, did some shelling, and generally just relaxed (A vacation from our Disney Vacation!). Still, a little part of me wished we were still in Disney and not on Marco Island! :goodvibes :goodvibes

f0ccfb5b.jpg

On the 29th, we drove back to the Boardwalk, said our final goodbyes to the World (oh the agony of saying goodbye!!!!), retrieved our luggage and headed to the Hyatt at the airport, where we stayed before our 7 a.m. flight home on the 30th!

Final Thoughts:

Some of our favorite things from this trip:

Sci Fi Diner (Wow! Can’t believe we hadn’t done this one before!)

Hoop Dee Doo

Riding Kali four times in a row without getting off

Spoodles

Osbourne Spectacle of Lights

MVMCP

Spending Christmas with family (even if we were all yakking!)

Even though we had some adversity, we still had a wonderful, magical time (in fact, its time to start planning our NEXT family reunion!).

We really liked the Boardwalk. The rooms are a bit in need up reburbishing, and the pool area needs a little spiffing up too, but otherwise a lovely resort. I loved the villa, but I sorely missed housekeeping, and I REALLY MISSED THE TOWEL SERVICE!!!! Especially with all of the yakking going on. We should have just gone ahead and got the $6/day towel service—don’t know why we scrimped on THAT ONE—goodness knows we didn’t scrimp on anything else! Still, for a family reunion, the Villas are the way to go. It was much more comfortable than the three regular rooms we had at Wilderness Lodge three years ago for our reunion.

Things we probably we won’t do again (at least not in the near future!)

Cinderella’s Royal Table

Candlelight Processional (we have done it three times now, but….you never know!)

Come for a family reunion without Riley!!!!!!!!!!!

Hmmm, that’s about all I can think of!

Unfortunately, there were some things we thought we would have time to do but wound up missing:

SOARIN (for Nana, Poppa, and me—everyone else got to do it!)

LIGHTS ACTION MOTOR CARS

NARNIA WALK THROUGH AT MGM

HALL OF PRESIDENTS

CAROUSEL OF PROGRESS (although my DDs and I have done this one!)

Well, I guess its time to plan another trip!!! Woooooohoooo! :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: Studid dancing banana!!!!

Thanks for posting your trip report. I enjoyed reading it. I hope everyone finally got over the "yaks" and I am even more glad that you didn't let it ruin your trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter