Disney Enchantment is a hard fail and 1 OCT was a disaster

As for "woke virtue signaling":

So many things get called "woke" these days, it's absurd. Did they put up a BLM image? Did Greta Thunberg narrate? What on earth can be called woke in that? Black people sang? Angela Bassett narrated? They talked about the magic in you? I would think you'd like that. YOU are the magic. Personal responsibility, right? ;) The accusation of wokeness for literally messages of hopefulness and optimism in hard times is just absurd.

We rarely eat in the Magic Kingdom…. Breakfast in the room, boat ride to Geyser Point for a Bison Burger and hop or head out of the park to a resort for dinner. If we stay we will have an ADR at Skipper Canteen.

How is that bison burger? We are debating Geyser Point and the new steakhouse at CR for a late afternoon burger.

I've read through ....

OP has every right to come on here and post about HIS experience that was impacted by Disney decisions. I think he was prepared in that he listens to Pete's conversations, took the info he had from Disney as fairly reliable, he booked at Polynesian to if at worst he could walk to the park. He's been there on holidays and he expected large crowds.

What he also expected is that Disney properly staffed given they now control IN ADVANCE how many people will be in the park, he expected the technology would have been fine tuned to not crash, he expected Disney to uphold their selling "rules" to manage the merchandise chaos ... and he, along with many others, expected a 50th Anniversary/Birthday celebration given that was the point of the entire day.

Disney also failed on letting guests in 2 hours before they claimed they would. There is no reason for it. You slow the buses, you slow the boats, you don't open the monorail or the ferry boats until it's calculated to do a smooth entry to the parks. Not rocket science.

Yes, it was a perfect day for those just wanting to be there and wanting to do attractions. It was the perfect day for those committed to spend hours waiting for a generic firework show with no expectation it would be a celebration. It was perfect day for those who didn't want to shop, see any special shows or dedications and could snack through out the day in lieu of meals.

If you wanted to shop, wanted to dine more than a churro or pretzel, wanted a celebration that was woven throughout the park, wanted a fireworks show that was dedicated to the WHOLE POINT of celebrating the most visited theme park in the world ......... yes, Disney failed.

What I took away from all this is that Chapek & sons used the Magic Kingdom's 50th Birthday to create an insane supply and demand situation to sell as much product as possible right down to popcorn buckets - no surprise because Chapek's ONLY resume is retail and distribution. I mean there is like six different "collections" - great marketing to those who have to have it all. Their hope is this continues for months to come. In that he succeeded. They had no special parade (no more is it a safety issue, obvious by the way crowds are handled), there was no special firework projection show, there was no castle stage celebration but hey here is your slick advertisement photograph to take home. The firework show was a long advertisement for Disney Plus which while profitable is way below projected subscriptions and needs a boost.

The 25th we each got a large FREE beautiful lithograph with embossed seal. This year they are selling them for $150 each. AND being reported most opened them to bent edges - so if you buy, open in front of them to make sure it's good before you walk away.

Some people just wanted a fun day of saying they were there and it was great ............. but we shouldn't attack those who went hoping for a legit special day of celebrating the park, special moments, special shows with organization and good planning from Disney.

it makes no sense to have been in MK on 1 OCT for the low wait tIke’s on rides. That was true for all of September.

There were fights at the Emporium, the lines for the popcorn stalls, the Emporium, et al, clogged gotta traffic needlessly because there were insufficient cast members present to control the crowd.

Several table service restaurants this week had menu items they could not serve due to certain things not being available. Some stores ran out of bags while others removed merchandise racks for lack of product. The logistics are not reliable, Disney is having staffing/hiring problems, and they did not manage the park well at all. They issued “X” park reservations and they were unable to manage “X”. This was NOTHING like Christmas or Spring Break.

Top it off with a very poor show replacing Happily Ever After and yes, it was not worth being in MK on 1 OCT.

The posters they handed out are already on eBay listing between $50 and $100. The poster is worth more than the mere “I was there” sentiment.

I guess I just don't see how all of this is Disney's fault. Fights in the emporium. That's not their fault. That's the fault of greedy people. No amount of staffing could prevent people from behaving like wild animals. And lack of bags...again, people going crazy buying every bag. I witnessed a woman chewing out a cast member about why she could only purchase two while she had bags sticking out of her disposable bag that she had clearly already purchased at a different shop. And merchandise... you do realize that Covid has created merchandise shortages everywhere? Disney is in the same boat as every other store. I don't know anything about the popcorn lines other than that people wanted those buckets. I saw a woman carrying 4 of them around her neck. That had to be heavy. lol. But people were all about the stuff. I even saw people standing in a long line waiting for those free "I'm celebrating"buttons. They could have gone on 3 rides in the time that they waited in line, but they chose to wait for the free button. (I have literally never seen people waiting in line for basic buttons, so that tells me a lot about the vibe/desires of many of the guests yesterday)

I can understand that you had a lousy day and it didn't meet your expectations. But I'm not sure how Disney could have fixed these particular issues. I don't think Disney is perfect by any means but I do think they're trying, and they're hiring like crazy and trying to fix situations (like trying to slow down the online sellers with purchasing limits) There were plenty of people there who did have great days, and I hope your next day there is better and you're able to enjoy the positives.

I've read through ....

OP has every right to come on here and post about HIS experience that was impacted by Disney decisions. I think he was prepared in that he listens to Pete's conversations, took the info he had from Disney as fairly reliable, he booked at Polynesian to if at worst he could walk to the park. He's been there on holidays and he expected large crowds.

What he also expected is that Disney properly staffed given they now control IN ADVANCE how many people will be in the park, he expected the technology would have been fine tuned to not crash, he expected Disney to uphold their selling "rules" to manage the merchandise chaos ... and he, along with many others, expected a 50th Anniversary/Birthday celebration given that was the point of the entire day.

Disney also failed on letting guests in 2 hours before they claimed they would. There is no reason for it. You slow the buses, you slow the boats, you don't open the monorail or the ferry boats until it's calculated to do a smooth entry to the parks. Not rocket science.

Yes, it was a perfect day for those just wanting to be there and wanting to do attractions. It was the perfect day for those committed to spend hours waiting for a generic firework show with no expectation it would be a celebration. It was perfect day for those who didn't want to shop, see any special shows or dedications and could snack through out the day in lieu of meals.

If you wanted to shop, wanted to dine more than a churro or pretzel, wanted a celebration that was woven throughout the park, wanted a fireworks show that was dedicated to the WHOLE POINT of celebrating the most visited theme park in the world ......... yes, Disney failed.

What I took away from all this is that Chapek & sons used the Magic Kingdom's 50th Birthday to create an insane supply and demand situation to sell as much product as possible right down to popcorn buckets - no surprise because Chapek's ONLY resume is retail and distribution. I mean there is like six different "collections" - great marketing to those who have to have it all. Their hope is this continues for months to come. In that he succeeded. They had no special parade (no more is it a safety issue, obvious by the way crowds are handled), there was no special firework projection show, there was no castle stage celebration but hey here is your slick advertisement photograph to take home. The firework show was a long advertisement for Disney Plus which while profitable is way below projected subscriptions and needs a boost.

The 25th we each got a large FREE beautiful lithograph with embossed seal. This year they are selling them for $150 each. AND being reported most opened them to bent edges - so if you buy, open in front of them to make sure it's good before you walk away.

Some people just wanted a fun day of saying they were there and it was great ............. but we shouldn't attack those who went hoping for a legit special day of celebrating the park, special moments, special shows with organization and good planning from Disney.
Curious, were you there? Because a lot of what you said was very, very inaccurate from what I experienced yesterday. Yes, everyone is entitled to their own opinions, I'm ok with that, just like I am mine.

And I definitely haven't seen anyone attacking the OP, just sharing their different viewpoints.

Curious, were you there? Because a lot of what you said was very, very inaccurate from what I experienced yesterday. Yes, everyone is entitled to their own opinions, I'm ok with that, just like I am mine.

I already said I followed along on several different places where many many everyday guests, who provided photos and videos along with their comments. Some of the information is just fact, based on what Disney provided, and didn't provide.

It might not have been your experience, everyone looks through their own lenses, but it was what MANY reports were including photos. There is no reason to not believe a large number of people.

And yes you are allowed your opinion and experiences, but what we can't do is tell others, like the OP, they what they experienced isn't true.

Its not a "50th Anniversary show", and was never marketed as such. It just happened to premier on that day.

EVERYTHING Disney has been advertising is called "Walt Disney World 50th Anniversary Celebration" including the fireworks. To say it's just a coincidence is ridiculous. It is on every promo piece out there.

Direct from Disney .... and it has been said by them over and over, everywhere ...

"Disney Enchantment is a brilliant centerpiece to The World’s Most Magical Celebrationcelebrating the 50th anniversary of Walt Disney World Resort."

Last edited:
Okay but if those people who got in early were in line that early, they were still ahead of the OP. Their places in line were not altered. We showed up early at the galaxys edge opening not sure when we were being let in other than the “rumors” (which we never took as set in stone and sure enough they were not accurate as Disney sent people away and told them to come back a few hours later). Our place in line didn’t change, there were still hundreds of people ahead of us, we just got in before the sun was up

And I definitely haven't seen anyone attacking the OP, just sharing their different viewpoints.
I’m here. Literally on the bus back from MK. I agreed with most of his points.

I was watching resorttv1's stream yesterday and I think they nailed it when they said that alot of people really hated Happily Ever After at first and wanted Wishes back.

That was me! I loved Wishes and hated HEA the first time I saw it. But, I can honestly say now that HEA will forever hold a place in my heart. Made a trip this summer JUST to see it 1 last time.

I am really hoping that Enchantment will win me over...

That was me! I loved Wishes and hated HEA the first time I saw it. But, I can honestly say now that HEA will forever hold a place in my heart. Made a trip this summer JUST to see it 1 last time.

I am really hoping that Enchantment will win me over...
Yep. While I did adore Enchantment, I would say right now, I do prefer HEA. But I think that's because I've had 4 years to grow such an attachment to it. I listen to the soundtrack at least once a week and have watched it countless times. When I think back to my initial reaction to HEA (which I did enjoy the first time), I would say my initial reactions are pretty similar.
It was similar during the Wishes to HEA transition, then it grew on people. I have a feeling this will be the same. People just don't like change, which is understandable.

This

sigh, I can never understand when people only post AFTER an event or visit and complain about xyz happening, when there is always tons of info and planning threads and info known before hand. Especially for something like October 1 at Walt Disney World, all it takes is even to check Disboards the night before and see oh, wow, people are planning to be there THAT early, maybe I should revise my plans.
This was me all through out my UOR and Fisney trip 9/16-9/25. In a day in age with things such as Google and YouTube and social media and even forums like this you think people would look even the simplest things up. But they don’t. Especially in this ever changing world.
No saying OP didn’t do some form of research as I remember that podcast she was talking about (I believe Pete had been to Disneyland and had the conversation there). But this was something that I literally saw every day of my trip. From people being angry at CM and TMs over needing dining reservations, to people not having the right tickets or reservations, to people thinking xyz when it was really 123.
While it does get annoying at times, my friends and my parents friends and our family know you come to us if they have a question. And if for some reason I don’t have an answer, I usually send them here or to a YouTube video or another article from someone like Carlyle Wiesel. The information is out there.

It was a fabulous day. I was on Main Street at 6:20am, took a mid-day pool break, had dinner at Crystal Palace, and ended with big thunder 2 minutes before 11pm and then a final photo in front of the castle. Got back to my room around 12:30am. I'd do it all over again if I could go back in time.

I am genuinely happy for those that knew not to take Disney at their word that the park would open to resort guests at 7:30. But I agree with the OP that they dropped the ball hard with their virtual q’s for merch. We got there at 7:30 and by then the first qr code for accessing the virtual q for day of anniversary merch was no longer available. But we were told another qr code would be released later in the day. As luck would have it I was standing at one of the qr code spots when they released the new code around 10:30. Maybe 10 other people were there with me and we all snapped a pic of the code to access the virtual q. Not one of us got into the q. We heard similar stories from others at different qr code spots. Merch seems to be the one thing everyone wanted yesterday and Disney‘s virtual q system was an epic fail. Again, congrats to those who were able to access it the first go around. The rest of us weren’t that lucky.
Posters on the 10/1 planning thread were scoffing at people planning to head to the parks extra early. So clearly not everyone got the memo.

Its not a "50th Anniversary show", and was never marketed as such. It just happened to premier on that day.
They weren't in HEA, and I'm pretty sure they weren't in Wishes (could be wrong about that one). Not sure why they would be expected or make or break the show.
And all that gold projection in the show? And the fact that it debuted on the actual anniversary.

Nah. Couldn't be a 50th Anniversary show.

This is why we made the decision to avoid Oct 1. We were at the 40th by accident and it was the busiest/scariest day... not enjoyable to say the least. This sounds worse. I heard accounts of people waiting 3 hours for food.... that's into the next meal time. You can't do that. Disney dropped the ball on this. If they didn't have the staff, they shouldn't have allowed that many people into the park. Not wise. Hopefully, that chaos is over and things can go back to normal.
I thought I was the only one that booked September to get in and out to avoid. We only go every 6 months and we purposely avoided. My daughter just got married and delayed her honeymoon to leave on Monday so she would avoid that day.

I guess I just don't see how all of this is Disney's fault. Fights in the emporium. That's not their fault. That's the fault of greedy people. No amount of staffing could prevent people from behaving like wild animals. And lack of bags...again, people going crazy buying every bag. I witnessed a woman chewing out a cast member about why she could only purchase two while she had bags sticking out of her disposable bag that she had clearly already purchased at a different shop. And merchandise... you do realize that Covid has created merchandise shortages everywhere? Disney is in the same boat as every other store. I don't know anything about the popcorn lines other than that people wanted those buckets. I saw a woman carrying 4 of them around her neck. That had to be heavy. lol. But people were all about the stuff. I even saw people standing in a long line waiting for those free "I'm celebrating"buttons. They could have gone on 3 rides in the time that they waited in line, but they chose to wait for the free button. (I have literally never seen people waiting in line for basic buttons, so that tells me a lot about the vibe/desires of many of the guests yesterday)

I can understand that you had a lousy day and it didn't meet your expectations. But I'm not sure how Disney could have fixed these particular issues. I don't think Disney is perfect by any means but I do think they're trying, and they're hiring like crazy and trying to fix situations (like trying to slow down the online sellers with purchasing limits) There were plenty of people there who did have great days, and I hope your next day there is better and you're able to enjoy the positives.
More staff would have resulted in more order. Fewer guests would have resulted in more order.

BOTH of these issues are 100% on Disney.

It's easier for more staff to control fewer people. Staff can maintain lines and call security when people start misbehaving. Disney knows how guests behave (or don't). It's on them to staff accordingly.

I think the OP’s post is a perfect example of how everyone’s experience in the parks is different. For those people who wanted merchandise and couldn’t get a spot in the virtual queue, or who mobile ordered their food, only to wait upwards of three hours to receive it, they didn’t have a great day. They have every right to vent to us about their bad day. I do feel Disney dropped the ball by not informing people about when they really planned to open (they could have put it on resort tv or something) so that people could make an informed decision about when they wanted to head out.

I had a great day though. I had purchased the merch I wanted at DS a couple days earlier, and the last piece of merch I want doesn’t get released until November. So I didn’t have to worry about the virtual queue. I had an ADR for a later lunch, so I would be sure of having food at least once during my day in the park. My plan was to enjoy the atmosphere and reminisce about all the trips I’ve experienced there (I have gone at least once a year, every year since the very first). I feel like I got a bonus, because no one was riding attractions, so I got to celebrate by riding my favorites. The only place I experienced any crowding was on Main Street.

My perfect day doesn’t make the OP’s horrible one invalid, or vice versa. We went into the park with different goals and expectations, and this time, circumstances worked in my favor. Next time, they may be in the OP’s favor.

BTW- I am not fond of either of the new fireworks shows, but I will take Enchantment over HarmoniUS any day. Not only does it have no story or heart, but the mashup of songs is really annoying. I miss Illuminations 😭.

I do feel Disney dropped the ball by not informing people about when they really planned to open (they could have put it on resort tv or something) so that people could make an informed decision about when they wanted to head out.
Or how about a push notification on that handy dandy communication device they have highly encouraged guests to use all day?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter