• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney Eats & Christmas Cheer

We also went to the Poly for lunch during our stay. Before I post that review, I thought I'd post some pics from the resort. At the time, the inside was still curtained off, so it looked terrible. I've seen the pics of it revealed and to be honest I'm not impressed. It looked better before.

The little water feature before entering the resort.

Behind the wall surrounding the pool

And the bungalows.

Personally, I hate the bungalows. We used to stay in the Hawaii building, bottom floor. It was the most beauitful view of the lake and castle. We would watch the fireworks from bed, so awesome. But now that option is all gone as well as some of the beach. So sad.

That's a shame about the Poly. Currently I have CL booked there for our Sept trip but seriously thinking about switching to BWI or the YC CL.

I'm enjoying your reviews, thank for posting. We're going to Capt's Grille, LTT and San Angel Inn so I was happy to read those. The tuna at Coral Reef looks amazing! Looking forward to more.

That's a shame about the Poly. Currently I have CL booked there for our Sept trip but seriously thinking about switching to BWI or the YC CL.

If you're staying lagoon view, maybe ask for the third floor. I think you'd have a better chance at a decent view the higher you are. I've stayed CL at Poly, BC and BWI, but not YC. We liked all of them, Poly being the best before all the changes. I don't think we'd stay CL at Poly again, especially wouldn't pay for lagoon view now. If you stay at BC, I would ask to be on the same floor as the lounge.
Anywhere you stay I'm sure you and your family will have a great time!

We decided to have a late lunch at Kona Cafe before heading to MK for MVMCP. I was really disappointed with Kona Cafe. One reason was my own fault the other was not. My fault was thinking they started serving sushi during lunch. I thought I read some where on the boards that Kona had started to serve sushi at lunch & not just dinner. So I was very excited to have their volcano roll that I had eaten years before. Unfortunately, I was wrong and therefore disappointed. But as I said that's totally on me. The other fault for the disappointment was the service. While checking in we witnessed the person checking us in being very disrepectful to an elderly lady who was another cm. There was no call for it. It seemed as if he thought she was too slow. And yes she was slow moving, but really, there was no one else checking at the time & we weren't in a hurry. Our actual server was a middle age man. He was not friendly, tended to disppear (there were not many people at the time in the restaurant), & the only time he seemed to care if we were ok was when he forgot to tell the chef I requested no mushrooms. He saw me picking them out of my dish & freaked because he thought I was allergic to them. I'm not, thankfully, I just don't like mushrooms. Also, he tried to steer my DD into having the kid's lemonade instead of the special lemonade she wanted. And it wasn't because of the taste. It was weird. Also, for those that don't know (I didn't), they do not give you bread at lunch. You can't even ask for it, unlike LTT, where you can get bread if requested. Our server told us some nonsense about no bread being offered because they have sandwiches on the lunch menu. :rolleyes2

My DD & I both ordered the special lemonade. I forgot what it was called, but it had (I think) a passion fruit foam type thing on the top. It was very good. We both really liked it, so refreshing.

My DD went with just an app. She ordered Fried Shrimp - with passion fruit-mustard sauce with a side of french fries. She liked the shrimp & fries but didn't like the sauce.

My DH ordered a Grilled Angus Chuck Bacon Cheeseburger, minus the cheese, with fries. He said it was okay.

I ordered the Pan-Asian Noodles with Shrimp - Yakisoba Noodles, Wok-seared with Vegetables in a Ginger-Garlic Sauce, minus the mushrooms, which the server forgot to tell the chef. I was disappointed with this dish. It's not that it was bad, it wasn't. It was just really bland. It needed something, salt, pepper, soy sauce, I don't know but something.

The overall feeling was disappointment. I think the fact that they still had that curtain up inside with all the construction everywhere didn't help. Maybe we'll try another time, not sure though.

That was the last of my restaurant food review. This was our last night. :(
After eating at Kona, we walked over to GF. It was beautifully decorated. Here is their Christmas Tree.

Then we took the monorail to MK for the party. They change the names of the boats on the Jungle Cruise, actually it's referred to as the Jingle Cruise. The names were really cute. Here's one that we rode on

The hot chocolate was good, it was cold, the cookie was okay. I had eaten most of it before I remembered to snap a pic.

Everywhere you saw one of these, they had the cookies & hot chocolate. I thought they were cute & easy to see from a distance.

A few pictures from the parade

The parade was not enjoyable due to other guests trying to push thru at the last minute. The party was fun, but it was alot more crowded than previous parties we had been to, causing longer lines.

One more pic.
We stayed at the Battle House Hotel in Mobile on the way home. The lobby was very pretty.

That's it for our trip. We have booked our next trip for Dec. 2015 already.

Hope everyone enjoyed review!

It's such a shame about CM's. I ran across a few younger CM's that looked absolutely miserable. I know people can't be "on" all the time...but just try not to look like you want to poke your own eyeballs out.

On one hand...I think people tend to expect PERFECTION in Disney and have a habit of complaining about the tiniest things. I can definitely relate being in customer service. But on the other hand, I think that WDW might want to pay employees more so that they don't just see it as a "dumb job". Can we really expect them to care THAT much when they're being paid minimum wage?

Sorry for getting so deep on your dining review LOL.

I understand what you're saying about the CMs. But we've been going for many years & this is the first time I've ever heard anything like that or heard a cm talking about their schedule while on "stage" (so to speak). I think maybe it is the pay but it's also not training their employees like they use to. It didn't upset our trip or anything, just surprising. We had a wonderful trip. I'm starting next week to try and lose the extra LBs I brought back home, :scared1:.

On our last trip we had the same bad service at Kona...I was hoping it was just an off night for our waitress but since then I have read many service related issues there. Before our last trip (August/September of 2011) we had great service.

We are planning for December of this year and we want to do Kona again. But, that noodle dish was one of the things we were looking at...was there any noodles in the noodle dish??? It does not look like it in your pic!:rotfl2:

I'm hearing soso review on Kona we well recently. Will probably skip on our next trip. Info look forward to eating at Teooan Edo for he first time so I appreciate that review! Well done!

I'm hearing soso review on Kona we well recently. Will probably skip on our next trip. Info look forward to eating at Teooan Edo for he first time so I appreciate that review! Well done!

We won't be going back to Kona on our next trip either. It's so disappointing. It use to have good food and great service, now it doesn't have either.

This year, so far, hasn't been that great for us. We lost someone we loved very much & it's been very difficult. But we are planning on going back to Disney in December and are very much looking forward to that trip. Though it does seem so far away. I wish we either live closer or could beam (like on Star Trek :thumbsup2) on over to Disney whenever we wanted or needed a Disney pick me up. Alas, neither are options for us. So we must wait.
In 28 days, yes I'm counting, I will be making our dining reservations. I thought I'd share where we are planning on dining. Most are places we've dined before, but a couple will be new experiences. Oh & I do plan on doing another dining review afterwards.

My list:

Captain's Grill
Whispering Canyon Café
Rose & Crown
Sci Fi
Liberty Tree Tavern (Tony's if LTT is still in refurb)
Teppan Edo
Coral Reef
Tutto Italia
Yak & Yeti
Maybe Teppan Edo again, we really like it

:dance3:

On our last trip we had the same bad service at Kona...I was hoping it was just an off night for our waitress but since then I have read many service related issues there. Before our last trip (August/September of 2011) we had great service.

We are planning for December of this year and we want to do Kona again. But, that noodle dish was one of the things we were looking at...was there any noodles in the noodle dish??? It does not look like it in your pic!:rotfl2:

There were some noodles in there under all that stuff, but mostly veggies. The dish was lacking any seasoning at all. It was so bland, no salt, no pepper. I was disappointed in it. And our waiter was the worse. He's attitude bordered on rude.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter