Disney Dreaming ...Planning our daughter's 1st trip and my mother's 1st extended stay!

lilmape

Mouseketeer
:welcome:I am so excited to begin this trip report! This is not our first trip to Disney, but my first time following through with documenting the planning. I promise to add pictures as I go...

Thank you for taking a moment to pop in and see what my PTR is all about. I hope you following along on the journey.

The characters:

My DH (Jason): My DH is a 31 year old kid at heart. He is an amazing husband and an incredible father. Jason works very hard for our family and the community (sheriff's deputy). Prior to our honeymoon my husband had rarely traveled. He completely fell under the Disney magic but is not as big of a fanatic as I. This will be his 3rd trip to DW.

image.jpg2.jpg

image.jpg2.jpg

Me (Tiffany): I am a 32 year old school psychologist and complete Disney fanatic. This will be my 5th trip. I went to Disney with my parents at the age of 4 and then again with the high school band (and my mom) in high school. I would get teary eyed each time we saw something I remembered from our first trip. DH and I went for our honeymoon in September of 2007 and again in 2011 for a last pre-kids trip. Once I get the idea or longing to go to Disney I can't let go.

image.jpg1.jpg
image.jpg1.jpg

DD: Our sweet little girl, Miss K, will be taking her first trip to meet Mickey! She is currently 2 years old and she will be 3 when we travel. She loves playing in the water, music, books, building blocks, animals (we keep a zoo membership because of this little lady) and giving hugs. She is super independent and very inquisitive. She loves Jungle Book, Tinker Bell, Rapunzel, Ariel, and Disney Jr. I just recently showed her Cinderella and could not get her attention away from the movie... I digress

image.jpg5.jpg

image.jpg5.jpg

So last year I began planning a December 2014 disney trip with my hubby, daughter, and mom. After doing some planning and after much discussion we decided to postpone the trip to try and grow our little family. So, we took a family vacation to the beach with my parents. It was an awesome trip. Miss K loved the beach and having her pappy all week. After that life continued as usual. We got pregnant in November and unfortunately experienced a miscarriage in January at 13 weeks. We were devastated. After that I experienced multiple health issues and currently have to be tested for abnormalities with my thyroid. I'm only sharing that to explain the decision to go to disney. We've had a lot of stress and one day Miss K and Jason were watching cartoons when a disney world commercial came on. Miss K instantly began saying," you take me there. I go see disney world. We have fun. I love it." Her daddy said that I should look into it... And who am I to say 'no' when my hubby suggests I research a disney vacation!? So, I suggested that we go in September again. Crowds would be lower, prices reduced, and it is right around our anniversary! We could celebrate our 8th anniversary (where we honeymooned) and Miss K's first visit! He agreed that it would be a good time to go. So the planning began!

Now Miss K by no means gets her way on a regular basis and at nearly 3 she is a very grateful child. But, we had been discussing vacation destinations and I had mentioned a Florida beach and disney day, but I didn't believe it would happen.

The thought of going to Disney really did bring me some joy and gives me something to really look forward to.

Last edited:
It's another snow day here in Southern Ohio. We ended up with 12+ inches of snow from Wednesday night into yesterday around noon. I won't lie, I love snow. I love experiencing all four seasons. Seriously, look how pretty:

image.jpg

It's not an incredible view, but it was so cold. When we opened the back door and the warm air met the cold, ice crystals formed in the doorway. :)

Being stuck in the house during my kiddo's nap time allows me some quality planning time... I know I could be doing laundry, but disney planning is so much more enjoyable!

So when? Right now, we are looking at the Sunday, September 6-13 or Sunday, September 13-20. I believe if we go the 13-20 MNSSHP will be going on. Jason and I attended it on our honeymoon and I know Miss K would love it. But, Labor Day week falls in Value 2 season, so it would be a bit cheaper and I would get to use 1 less vacation day...

How are we getting there? Well... I have never wanted to drive to Florida from Ohio with a toddler in tow; however, we have been looking at flights and currently they are pricing out at around $900 for round-trip, non-stop flights. I'm not willing to have connecting flights with this being Miss K's first experience... Driving would cost us around $300-400 round trip. That includes the cost of gas and possible overnight stays. Jason feels more comfortable driving too, so... Around 500-600 saved right at the beginning of planning.

Now this mom will be spending some time putting together car activities.... It's going to be a busy summer o_O

Last edited:
Following along! My husband is kind of sort of from Ohio. He was born there but moved to San Diego when he was 7, so I tell him he is from San Diego. When he turned 18 and joined the military, his parents split and both moved back to Ohio. So, we try to visit whenever we are able to. They are in the Columbus area. It is COLD! We went to visit in January 2014, when they were experiencing very cold weather. Oh my goodness, I was dying to get back to California hahaha.

I look forward to reading along!

So I have been planning family movie nights to familiarize Miss K with more Disney characters. I've looked at all the ideas on pinterest, but my kiddo is such a picky eater that it just doesn't make sense to make a themed meal each week. So I'm putting together snacks and activities for us to do together each week.

Our vacation is in about 26-27 weeks... Crazy saying that since nothing is booked... Anyway, we won't be going in order nor will be able to watch all of these... If you have suggestions for snacks or toddler friendly activities let me know! Some of these are a stretch, but I tried lol. I also found some good ideas here on the DIS. Here's what I have so far:

Aladdin: Arabian Night Star Sandwiches (grilled cheese or PB&J); Rajah Tail Pretzels; Aladdin Hat Craft
Beauty and the Beast: Grey Stuff Dessert; Celery Stalk Rose Painting
Bolt: Dog Bone Cheese w/ Crackers; Scooby Doo Snacks; Lightning Bolt Sandwiches; Frisbee
Brave: Blue Wisp Cotton Candy or Chocolate Teddy Grahams; Pin the Arrow on the Target
Bugs Life: Bug Hats; Dirt Pudding w Gummy Worms
Cars: Pool Noodle Car Races; Apple Slice w/ Grape Wheel Cars; Donut Tires
Cinderella: Rice Krispie Fairy Godmother Wands; Fairy Godmother Wand Craft; Cinderella Slipper Hunt
Dumbo: Popcorn; Elephant Ear (County Fair Snack); Elephant Hand Print Craft; Circus Games
Finding Nemo: Blue Jello with Swedish Fish; Fishing at the Lake
Frozen: Ice Cream w Toppings; Frozen Paint Art; Sensory Snow
The Incredibles: Frozone Milkshakes; Create Your Own Super Hero Activity
Lady and the Tramp:Spaghetti and Meatballs; Spumoni Ice Cream; Coloring Sheets
Lilo and Stitch: Dole Whips; Paper Flower Lei; Hula Dancing
Lion King: Zebra Cakes; Tiger Tail Cheetos; Footprint Lion
The Little Mermaid: Starfish PBJ Sandwiches; Goldfish; Clam Cookies; Mermaid Clothespin Dolls
Mary Poppins: Tea Party; Kites
Monsters INC: S'more Doors; Grapes; Make Your Own Monster; Sensory Monster Slime Activity
Mulan: PB Jelly Sushi; Fortune Cookies; Chienese Drum Craft
101 Dalmatians: Spotted Cupcakes; Dalmatian Puppets or Dalmatian Hats; Find the Dalmatian Spots
Peter Pan: Follow the Leader Game; Pirate Ship Pizza Bread; Lost Boy Trail Mix
Pocahontas: Build and Play in a teepee; Native American Headband Craft; Teepee Ice Cream Cones (decorate and eat!)
Princess and the Frog: Beignets; Catch & Release Fireflies; Pin the Kiss on the Frog
Snow White: Apple Marshmallow Pops; Apple Chips; Bashful Bubbles; Pop the Apple or Bobbing for Apples
Sword and the Stone: Magic Wand Craft; Arthur's Chicken; Sword in the Stone Baked Potatoes; Stone Cupcakes
Tarzan: Banana Cakes (Little Debbie); Barrel of Monkeys Game; Monkey/Gorilla Masks; Monkey Fingerprint Craft
Tangled: Rice Krispie Paint Brushes; Floating Lanterns
Tinker Bell: Tinkerbell Playdough; (Snacks will be leftovers from the tinkerbell birthday party)
Toy Story: Pizza (she LOVES pizza); Mr. PotatoHead; Pig Balloon Craft; Cardboard Roll Aliens Craft
Up: Grape Soda; Blue Jello with Cool Whip Clouds; Fingerprint Art - Balloons
Winnie the Pooh: Chicken Tenders w/ Honey; Honey Glazed Carrots; Pooh Paper Plate Face; Honey Bee Counting Game
Wreck-it Ralph: Build Your Own Race Car Activity/Snack

Miss K is a huge Jungle Book fan, so I didn't add it to the list. We watch it once every two weeks or so... Need exposure to the other characters :)

Underline means that we have completed those activities. I'll share them in the PTR.

Last edited:
I followed you over from my PTR! You DD is adorable! I totally get the need for trip planning to escape "real life"! That is exactly how my trip got started! Your movie nights look great! I think they will be really fun. Our DD's first trip was when she was 2. It was so much fun! It took my husband from being like "Disney is fun", to LOVING Disney!

Looking forward to hearing more about your trip!

Thanks for hopping on board! I have read some of your previous reports prior to your current PTR and I adore the outfits you make for your little girl! I wish I could sew!

Now planning, that's something I can do lol. Miss K found a picture of Jason and I in front of Cinderella's castle yesterday and she asked to put it in her kitchen. Her daddy taped it above her play stove and she keeps looking at it and saying, " you take me there?" Jason just looks at me and smiles. I think this will definitely push him into the epic Disney lover category with me lol.

I'm so excited to experience Disney through my toddler's eyes. I'm trying to only have loose plans like a meal here an there. Jason wants some lazy days. I'll be looking to all the DIS moms for guidance :)

Disney planning can be so overwhelming, like when to go, where to stay, how many ticket days, etc and I've never been with a child...

:)

Last edited:
Hi! Joining in!
Kaitlyn is ADORABLE, I love those gorgeous blue eyes and that curly blonde hair!

So sorry to hear about your loss and health complications :( I hate thyroid issues...grr. But I am glad you are able to enjoy planning a trip, it totally helps!

The story about your DD seeing the commercial just melted my heart. She's a natural Disney fan! And then how she wanted your picture in front of the castle in her kitchen...precious!

I'm so glad to hear you are exposing Kaitlyn to all sorts of Disney movies before your trip, I seriously think it will make the trip that much more special when she has a connection with the characters/rides. I love all your themes too. I replied to you in my PTR about doing snacks for picky eaters, looks like you are already doing that. Smart! Can't wait to see those pictures and hear more plans!

Kaitlyn is ADORABLE, I love those gorgeous blue eyes and that curly blonde hair!

Thank you so much! I'm not sure where all the curls come from but we love them. lol She's a bit of a turkey bird and she makes life interesting.

I'm so glad to hear you are exposing Kaitlyn to all sorts of Disney movies before your trip, I seriously think it will make the trip that much more special when she has a connection with the characters/rides. I love all your themes too. I replied to you in my PTR about doing snacks for picky eaters, looks like you are already doing that. Smart! Can't wait to see those pictures and hear more plans!

We did our first last night. I'm going to post about it in bit! We had so much fun :)

Last edited:
I'm joining in! Oh my goodness your DD is just the cutest!
Sometimes, you need to visit WDW to get away, sometimes it's to get quality family time, and sometimes it's because it's best for the soul. I think with all that's happened with you and your family in the last year you deserve some time in your happy place. Besides...when your DD steps foot on Main St and sees the castle, it'll all be worth it.

Toddlers on lng carrides are an adventure. The key is definitely having enough to keep them occupied. I tend to pack up a few of Landon's favorite (not his absolute favorite, but ones he really enjoys) toys a couple days beforehand and pull them out on the trip. Since it had been awhile since he'd seen them, his attention lasts a bit longer.

Sunday night was our first movie night.

Feature Presentation: Bug's Life
Craft/Activity: Bug Hats

image_3.jpg

Snack: Dirt Pudding with Gummy Worms. I make one small box of chocolate pudding. Mix in half a small container of cool whip and crumble oreo cookies on top. The cool whip really gives it a marbled muddy look. Tastes good too lol!

image_1.jpg

Miss K loved it! She did not sit through the whole movie, which is to be expected, but she made sure we all wore our hats.

image_4.jpg

To finish the night her daddy read her a book about bugs and The Very Hungry Caterpillar.

Last edited:
Looks like a fun movie night! A bugs life was one of the first movie nights we did too! Charlotte still loves that movie to this day. So cute!

So when? Right now, we are looking at the Sunday, September 6-13 or Sunday, September 13-20. I believe if we go the 13-20 MNSSHP will be going on.
My wife and I went around that time last year. It wasn't to bad. MNSSHP is a blast. If you don't mind I think I'll follow along. My wife and I are expecting our first in August and since I plan Disney trips I would like to know how your first trip with your family turns out. I look forward to hearing more.

I'm joining in! Oh my goodness your DD is just the cutest!

Welcome and thank you so much! She is a little turkey bird but I love her more than words.

Sometimes, you need to visit WDW to get away, sometimes it's to get quality family time, and sometimes it's because it's best for the soul.

I think that's why my hubby suggested it. I love Disney so much and he knows it really makes me happy. Plus his little girl is asking to go... How could he say no?!

Toddlers on lng carrides are an adventure. The key is definitely having enough to keep them occupied. I tend to pack up a few of Landon's favorite (not his absolute favorite, but ones he really enjoys) toys a couple days beforehand and pull them out on the trip. Since it had been awhile since he'd seen them, his attention lasts a bit longer.

I'm contracted to work all summer. So when the teachers and students leave for summer break I 'm still there. Before our beach trip last year I bought one of those big 31 bags and filled it with activities that I made while I was at work (after all my filing etc was done for the summer). I used a die cut machine traced all the cut out on full sheets of paper and then laminated both (with pouches I picked up at the store). I then added Velcro to both so she could use them like a puzzle. There were a ton of other little dollar store things in there too. That kept her busy most of our trip and then I brought along our portable DVD player with some new DVDs of her favorite cartoons. Miss. K doesn't get a lot of tv time but she does have a few favorites!

joining in

:welcome: I'm glad you're here!

Joining in.

Your DD is so cute:cutie:

Great movie night.

:welcome:Thank you and I'm glad you're following along! We had so much fun on our movie night and Miss. K has been wearing her bug hat all week. She insists I wear mine too. We're watching Tarzan this week. I think she will like the music :)

If you don't mind I think I'll follow along. My wife and I are expecting our first in August and since I plan Disney trips I would like to know how your first trip with your family turns out. I look forward to hearing more.

:welcome:You're more than welcome to follow along! Congratulations on your little one! Planning for a trip with a little one is definitely a game changer, but I think I'm more excited about this trip than any other. I absolutely can not wait to see her face when she experiences the magic of Disney... So Exciting!

When do you think a child is ready for a Disney park? My wife is due in August. We really want to go Thanksgiving 2016 to disneyland or WDW. Do you think that might be to young?

So after crunching numbers, figuring out vacation schedules, looking at easy wdw schedules, and how many days we would need off I think the best week for us would be August 30-Sept 6. Here's my tentative plan...

Saturday, August 29 - Leave home begin Journey to Disney!
Sunday, August 30 - Arrive at Disney; Relax at Resort; Pool
Monday, August 31 - Epcot
Tuesday, September 1 - Magic Kingdom
Wednesday, September 2 - Break
Thursday, September 3 - Hollywood Studios
Friday, September 4 - Magic Kingdom
Saturday, September 5 - Animal Kingdom
Sunday, September 6 - Head Home!

As to how long in each park I have no idea yet. I know I want to catch MSEP and Wishes one night and both are scheduled on the 1st and 4th.

I anticipate 1/2 day in HS. I love AK and we will probably take our time and explore all the trails.

But then, this is only tentative until we see what deals are rolled out. We may push back another week... I really like the idea of after Labor Day.. We shall see...

Last edited:
When do you think a child is ready for a Disney park? My wife is due in August. We really want to go Thanksgiving 2016 to disneyland or WDW. Do you think that might be to young?

I think it's really what you can handle and when you feel your kiddo can handle it. I've seen folks take infants and I have friends who think their little ones just couldn't handle it. I was originally planning when Miss K would have been 2.5 years. I don't care if she remembers, there will be pictures to show her. I'm more excited to see her reaction to seeing everything. There is nothing like the magic of Disney and experiencing it with a toddler... Wow.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter