• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney Dream - we did it all wrong...

I am so sorry to hear you were disappointed.

I really understand everything you were feeling. I was the same way the first time we went on the Magic. I would get that Navigator in my had and just start stressing how we were going to fit everything in, swim see the show, do excursions eat, etc.

After a couple of days I realized it just wasn't going to happen. There is no way you can do EVERYTHING and we were on a 7 night cruise.

So for all of you that are about to cruise for the first time, take a breath and enjoy each "moment". Yes, there is a Donald and Daisy meet and greet across the boat and you are swimming with your kids. Enjoy that moment and let the other stuff go.

By our 2nd cruise I was so darned relaxed I think I fell asleep in every chair I sat down in!

The boats are BEAUTIFUL, the service is OUTSTANDING and the memories are PRICELESS!

Our family is pretty laid back by nature, so even though there were 101 things to do or schedule, we picked the most important ones we wanted to do/see.

We had a great time and did not feel as though we had to book every possible entertainment option in order to enjoy (actually LOVE) our cruise. Maybe this is because we knew we could/would do this again and it was not a once in a lifetime chance. (That would definitely change our outlook if it was ONLY this one time.)

Relax - Enjoy - and work with whatever your family dynamic as well as future opportunites provide. :)

I can totally sympathize - I sort of felt the same way last summer after our 5 day cruise on the Dream. We LOVED our Castaway Cay days (2) and the one day at sea. We also tried to do so much that I feel like we spent a lot of time just floundering wondering what the heck we should be doing. That said, I did enjoy the whole cruise experience and just booked us for a 7 night on the Fantasy this July. With 2 days at sea, I hope to feel more "relaxed" because there will technically be more time to enjoy the actual ship and all that's offered. I think we're going to hang on the ship on Costa Maya day to add another more relaxed day to the week.

It's hard to just sit back and enjoy your time on the boat - there seems to be so many expectations and things you "have" to do - when really, you should just be able to pick and choose a few things or really - nothing at all! The 2nd day at Castaway Cay was AMAZING - so completely relaxing and fun.

Don't rule out cruising - just rule out OVER planning!!

To the OP, I can totally feel your pain. We did a 3-day on the Dream last November, followed by 4 days at Boardwalk. It was the least enjoyable Disney vacation we have ever had. My senior parents were with us and my two nieces (10,20). DN10 was the biggest pain -- she was lukewarm about every single thing or she didn't want to do it. On top of that, she is an extremely picky eater. It was exhausting trying to satisfy her. The my wonderful DS6 was very difficult -- he is ADHD and his mood was off the charts wacko. When we got home we all said that we didn't have enough time in either place and almost felt like we were never there. NEVER AGAIN. Next March, it will be my son and I ONLY -- we are doing 5 days at Beach Club and then a 4-day Dream cruise. I still think 4 days isn't long enough of a cruise, but since we have already been on the ship, it'll be easier. And...more importantly...it'll be just the two of us, so we will have a lot more freedom. I plan to do one excursion in the Bahamas (sea lion encounter), but that's it. I'm really looking forward to the sea day. My son LOVED LOVED LOVED the kids clubs, so I know I'll get some "me" time.

Don't let your experience sour you on cruising. Look at it as a lesson learned and plan your next trip ASAP. While on board our next cruise, I plan to book a 7-day Fantasy trip in 2014. Can't beat the discount, OBC and reduced deposit. It's worth it even just to book a dummy date.

Wow after reading this thread. I cannot help but comment. By now you should sort of know if your family prefers a) "commando style" or b) "rest and relaxation style".

[Now personally, we travel commando style. I don't really see it any other way. If I wanted to rest and relax I could literally save thousands of dollars and stay at home. I travel so I can experience what the venues have to offer; however, to each his own.]

But, if you didn't feel like you got everything out of the trip you wanted, I would suggest planning better. Be realistic about what your family could accomplish based on the available options. Then set out to do those activities, and if one of those activities is to play in the pool for 2 hours from 1PM-3PM then there is nothing wrong with that. I have discovered when people feel less than satisfied on their trip it is because they didn’t’ plan enough. They spent their time wondering what to do because they didn’t know what options were available. They tried to do everything not ever really taking the time to make a list of what they could accomplish. Planning each day with realistic timeframes gives you a checklist and may SOUND regimented, but at the end of the day it doesn’t FEEL regimented. I have a great sense of accomplishment to go along with a great – fantastic set of experiences. And, when I don’t see the Stunt Show (for example) because I elected to see Indiana Jones AND Beauty and the Beast – then I am not really disappointed because I already made the decision to skip the stunt show because on that particular day, I knew that it would be impossible (with two little kids) to see all three.

… just my opinion

Gosh - have to say that age from 10-12 and not enjoying the way we would expect was TOTALLY accurate. They seem to be in that "too cool" for stuff. Now our girls are 14 and 16 and can't wait to enjoy all the geeky, princessy, type stuff! It is an odd age between little girls (love the DSL Princesses) and then Yes! We totally love the DSL Princesses!)

A couple years of removing the "cool factor" makes a world of difference!

Sounds like you came back with an invaluable, priceless souvenir -- how to vacation with your family the NEXT time! Hope your next vacation is better!

So sorry to hear that. We found out years ago the best way to enjoy these vacations is not to book any excursions or set too many definite plans on what to do onboard. Best thing to do is just go with the flow. Wake up when you like and pick from the navigator just a few things to do that day and if you don make it no problem. Just grab a cocktail and enjoy the view from your verandah :) fortunately our 6 year old adored the kids club and all the parties and activities

This is what I would hope we would do. I don't want to book any excursions, and just want to sleep in and go with the flow. Is this unrealistic??? :confused3

Thank you for posting, and I am sorry you did not have the trip you hoped for, especially your child having the flu:sad2:

I have booked a 4 day out of Miami, but have been thinking this is just too short of a trip for us and you are just confirming what I was already thinking.

This too will be a trip of a lifetime for our family we have been talking about it for years but the cost is what makes it so difficult. So I highly doubt we will do it again any time soon. So I have decided I am going to rebook when the Fantasy summer 2014 dates come out and take a year off from Disney to save up.

Again, sorry it was not what you expected:hug:

maybe when your kids are teens..
we went on the wonder twice when my son was in the teen club and he had the time of his life.

as for us, i was happy to just stare out at the water all day :)

We leave tomorrow and will be getting on the Dream on Thursday. I was starting to get a bit worried because I pretty much planned nothing for the cruise. (or the few days in the World beforehand either...)Your thread reminded me that my family hates commando. We commando our way through life. NOT what I want to do on vacation. It took me awhile to learn that though. I think as your kids grow and change that can change too. But for us, we know that sitting on deck with a book and a drink...that's good enough for me.
:cloud9:
Hopefully next time will be much better for you!

All Very good advice...I am becoming optimistic again. :) So many nice people on these boards.

Unfortunately we didn't get to meet many people either. We were looking forward to being seated with another family for dinner, but ended up with a table to ourselves, lol. That might have made a difference too - if the kids could have made some friends.

Yes, if the kids had made friends may have made a difference. We just got back from a 7 day on the Fantasy and did not feel like it was long enough! I did not expect that my grandchildren would take to the clubs so much, but they loved it! They wanted to be in there more than they were and stayed late at night. Even the 3 1/2 year loved it and went by herself without her older cousins!

Don't lose faith, you may get to go again and love it. We went the first time 5 years ago and the kids did not go except when we went to Palo.

I realized on this 7 day cruise we could not do it all. We had intended to see a movie, no time, we skipped a couple of night shows and in I only made it to an adult club the first and last nights after 10.

After your first cruise you know what to expect and you can make it work for your family better. I hope you get to go again some day and that you have a magical time!

sorry to hear that.....we just got off the ship last weekend and I have to say we did not do to much only want we truly wanted....I had looked up a few things b4 going and then I asked my little one who is 4 years old what she wanted to do from what I gave her
1 was go in the pool did that she was one of the 1st kids in the pool 12:15pm until 2pm the 1st day and then next day a hour and that last day a hour
2. she wanted to see Mickey and Minnie and any other characters she wanted to see
for my teen it was just to get off the ship to go shopping in Nassau and just walk about the town a litte so for two hours we got off the ship she also wanted to see the movie Chimpanzee we did all that
and for me I wanted to go on the bikes at Castaway Cay and see each of the shows at night. We did all we each wanted to do.....
my DD's did not want to go to kids clubs they told me they wanted to be with me and seeing how my teen is now 14 years old I was not going to say anything to get her to get a way from me lol
I have to say we went to our room a lot saw one moives in the room and would order lunch from room service each day and Mickey ice cream at night:)

We usually skip a show or two (depending on length of cruise) and take downtime everyday. The trip is about relaxing too! There is nothing like having a coffee and watching the world go by on deck in the morning, or taking a stroll on deck 4 in the evening and looking out at the water and the moon, playing shuffle board. These are actually some of our favorite moments.

Those were the two things (enjoying a cup of coffee on my veranda in the morning, and lounging on deck 4 while listening to the music and watching the water go by) that I really was wanting to do, and I never did find the time to do either of them! Next time...

Thanks to the OP for this post. I'm sorry the way it worked out for you, but maybe your post is a good lesson and might helps someone.

We are commando style disney folks. Last year, we tried it a different way. Went to WDW and then a Dream cruise. At WDW, we really relaxed. We hit the parks at opening, rode 2 rides, grabbed a handful of fastpasses, and then got out of dodge. We swam, we slept, we ate, we walked. Then we went back and used our fastpasses and maybe saw a parade or something. We were completely committed to this approach -- we just decided, we may miss some huge stuff, like Space Mountain or Soarin', but they'd still be there if we ever go back. Instead, we're going to use our fastpasses and ride Splash Mountain four times in row, get soaked, and then go to bed. The first day or two was tough. Then it was great.

By the time we got to the cruise, we were in full-on relaxation mode. We saw one show. We waited in line for characters just once. We ate at Tow Maters when we wanted. We walked slowly everywhere. We lingered. We did no excursions. We took naps. We enjoyed each other's company. It was hard at times -- everything is screaming at you go, go, go, do, do, do. You look at the Navigator in the morning and wonder how you'll fit it all in, and it all looks so great. We just didn't take the bait.

And we learned something. There are a lot of different ways to have fun. Those who know how we usually like to do disney stuff would be shocked.

We are going on our first Disney cruise in July. 6 days 5 nights NYC to Canada.

Many of you have posted about skipping a dining room night. As we only have 5 nights I don't know that I want to do that. I think there are 3 dining rooms, right. So we will have 2 of them twice.

Silly question, but is it just about not rushing to dinner on those nights? Or do they schedule things during dinner that we will miss.

I'm sure I read that the shows are before or after your seating.

My daughter will be 13 and has been on one other cruise (Carnival) 3 years ago and her favorite thing was the fancy dining rooms! So can't imagine missing that!

We will travel with my 78 year old mother who is pretty flexible and will want to relax but has also talked about wanting to play Bingo one day (night?!)

I get the don't rush thing but not sure on what to miss!

Our last cruise was the Western Caribbean and on sea days we were by the pool. I do recall reading stuff in the daily navigator (or whatever Carnival's was called) that sounded fun (ie: galley tour) but I wanted to be pool side.

Is this what everyone is referring to by slowing down?!!

Thanks

I agree with you, I don't get the rush thing at all. Sure they have tons of things to do, but I really don't care about learning to fold napkins or family bingo, or whatever they may have going on. I go on a ship to RELAX. I love the dining rooms and the shows, but if I don't feel like going to a show, I don't. I have been on 4 cruises, 3 of them 4 day, and I have never once felt rushed.

It is more disappointing for those of us who will only have the Disney experience once or twice with our kids. It is just too great of an expense, so you really want everyone to enjoy themselves and have great memories. We take long weekend trips as a family, but this was supposed to be our "big" trip.
We did run around constantly, bot we weren't "commando". I think my kids are just so pokey and we had to hustle them about to get anywhere. With the exception of the shows, we didn't do any activities in the navigator at all. The amount of time was just too short.

It is more disappointing for those of us who will only have the Disney experience once or twice with our kids. It is just too great of an expense, so you really want everyone to enjoy themselves and have great memories. We take long weekend trips as a family, but this was supposed to be our "big" trip.
We did run around constantly, bot we weren't "commando". I think my kids are just so pokey and we had to hustle them about to get anywhere. With the exception of the shows, we didn't do any activities in the navigator at all. The amount of time was just too short.

i'm really very sorry you didn't enjoy yourself, but i thank you for reminding me that i need to relax and take it easy when we're on the dream.

i haven't been on a disney cruise in 8 years.
our kids have grown up (both are married), so i'll be on the dream with my 85 year old mom and 62 year old sister.
i've been really worried about making sure they have a great time (because of the extreme cost and this is definitely once in a lifetime), that i probably was going to run them around rather than just sit back and relax. That happened when i took them to WDW and they didn't enjoy it at all because of that.
so thank you for reminding me to relax with them.
i will really try!
i so hope they enjoy it!!! :)

I totally understand and am so sorry. The same thing happened to me last year for our firs trip to wdw. I saved for a year, booked the contemporary garden wing just to be closer to magic kingdom, researched and planned constantly. We only had 2 days and I wanted to make the most of it. The first morning we rushed around like lunatics even though it was offseason. Everyone felt rushed and not relaxed. Then my daughter felt sick and from then on we were in and out of the emergency room. She was hospitalized and we ended up being in Florida for an extra week. At first she said she caught something on the flight and refused to ever fly again. She got over it though (this happened feb 2011) and this trip is to make up for all that happened to her. I really wasn't planning on going back to Disney this soon because it's just so expensive but she mentions what happened and that she missed everything all the time. It was very traumatic for all of us. I'm so scared it will all fall apart again. Thanks for posting. I thought long and hard about what my mindset should be after reading. I am not going to try to make all shows if the kids or me and my husband just want to do something else. Thanks for helping me stop and think about how to make it more relaxing..I hope you guys are able to give it a second try. Take care:love:

I totally understand and am so sorry. The same thing happened to me last year for our firs trip to wdw. I saved for a year, booked the contemporary garden wing just to be closer to magic kingdom, researched and planned constantly. We only had 2 days and I wanted to make the most of it. The first morning we rushed around like lunatics even though it was offseason. Everyone felt rushed and not relaxed. Then my daughter felt sick and from then on we were in and out of the emergency room. She was hospitalized and we ended up being in Florida for an extra week. At first she said she caught something on the flight and refused to ever fly again. She got over it though (this happened feb 2011) and this trip is to make up for all that happened to her. I really wasn't planning on going back to Disney this soon because it's just so expensive but she mentions what happened and that she missed everything all the time. It was very traumatic for all of us. I'm so scared it will all fall apart again. Thanks for posting. I thought long and hard about what my mindset should be after reading. I am not going to try to make all shows if the kids or me and my husband just want to do something else. Thanks for helping me stop and think about how to make it more relaxing..I hope you guys are able to give it a second try. Take care:love:
Wow, you really did have a rough time! I couldn't imagine... Your poor daughter! I'm sure you will have a fantastic vacation. Good luck!!!
Happy Mothers Day! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter