• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney Dream: To concierge or not to concierge?

What time did you get to the port? Did you have to wait in line or is there another line for concierge?

You will have to go through security and then to the concierge room. We got there at 11 am and no line really. 10 or so for security and no one in concierge line.

How did you get my shuttle picture?

1zh0gfo.jpg

May I ask? What is a bridge tour?

On our last cruise we had a "bridge tour" that was set up by the Concierge Manager. We were introduced to the Captain and the officers on the ships bridge and we were allowed to stay on the bridge of the "Magic" as we sailed out of the port. The captain's assistant explained and showed us the instruments they use to take the ship out to sea, the maps they use in conjuction with the computers on board etc. I was even allowed to push the button for the horn when the ship left the dock twice. Once to alert the passengers that were late getting back to the ship that we were about to leave (thank goodness they made it back in the nick of time) and once again as we sailed out to sea. It was a wonderful experience. I especially enjoyed being able to push the button for the ships horn to play "When you wish upon a star". I was so giddy:cool1:

KBMO4444 - Saw that you had cabin 12026 and I have this for our cruise on 10/30 and my brother's famiy is in adjoining cabin 12028. Anything you can share about this cabin or photos? Also, could you see the Pirate Night fireworks from your veranda?

Thanks in advance for any info!
Carol

Hi Carol

I notice you had cabins 12026 and 12028 and wondered how they were? We will have 12028. Any positives? Negatives? Haven't confirmed yet so could still change. Could you see the fireworks from your veranda?

Thanks for any info you can give me!

Kindly,
Andrea

I thought about this for our upcoming cruise. I typically stay at club level at the Ritz Carlton whenever I can but that is because there are snacks all day long for the kids. I decided it was not worth it so long as I had a balcony I was happy. Now, if I get there a concierge upgrade is not too much $$$, I may change my mind. Basically, in my mind, most things are already included on the Disney cruise and I don't care if I am first in line and I don't go on the cruise for the food so, I figured it was not worth it.

After being on a B2B Dream without it, I dont think I will ever cruise the larger ships again not having concierge.

We did concierge on the Magic, it was nice, but the Dream/Fantasy offer so much more in my opinion.

We booked concierge for our December 2012 cruise.

We did the Dream on concierge in February - it was the first ever cruise and we all loved it. DH says he didn't think it was worth the money, but I disagree. The easy boarding was amazing (and totally worth it with a two-year-old) and the staff was wonderful. So helpful and friendly with our little one. We had just minor issues (nothing that was Disney's fault) and they went above and beyond to help us out. Having the snacks constantly available was great and my father was able to get free alcohol pretty much anytime he wanted it (I think there are hours, but he was never told no). I really feel like it was worth the money (even acknowledging it was a bit hard to swallow). We're booked on conceirge for the Fantasy in Nov 2013 (ug...too far)...and I have a hard time imagining we'd ever downgrade, especially as the family grows.

We stayed concierge this past April on the Dream, do the family oceanview staterooms have refrigerators? I don't think we ever found it in the room if it was there! Just curious!

We had concierge on the Dream and my only regret is that there are no concierge cabins on our Magic cruise!

were you in a cat V room on the dream? do you think 3 adults would feel crowded?

my sister loves to laze on a lounge chair - so i thought the concierge sundeck would be the place for her.....
is it very crowded on the concierge sundeck?

If at all possible, we try to book a concierge cabin. With that being said, my attitude has changed since the Dream set sail. We were in the Royal suite on the Wonder two years ago. At that time, we felt the cabin was great but that the concierge services were weak. Last year, we were in the Royal on the Dream. In many ways, the experiences were entirely different with the heavy preference on the Dream. There is just so much more on the Dream with regard to the concierge areas. Even our cabin was substantially improved. So, we have basically decided against future sailings on either the Wonder or Magic IF WE ARE WANTING TO SAIL CONCIERGE. With all that being said, we also sail based on convenience. So, we did book a very last minute cruise a few months ago. We did get two connecting 4A cabins which were entirely comfortable for the four of us and the experience was quite enjoyable. So, being able to sail in a concierge cabin is not a deal breaker, but it is desirable if finances allow. I will also mention that my wife and I do disagree on the actual monetary worth of the experience. This discussion arose as we were questioning if we would book a standard balcony cabin in the concierge area. I said "no way". My wife said "absolutely". I personally would rather have two cabins with connecting doors in nonconcierge cabins than one cabin for the four of us on the concierge level. To book two connecting cabins in the concierge level I think is basically highway robbery. I can much more easily justify the cost differential in my mind for the Royal suite. And, for what this is worth, our next cruise is set for next year in the Walt Disney suite on the Fantasy.

I sailed concierge on Dream in August '11. The concierge team was just what you would expect from Disney, absolutely great. However, for the money I did not find it worth it. When we sailed there were no seating perks in the theater or for Pirate Night. Table location in all three dining rooms was not great. I have sailed on Disney Magic in concierge and again, not worth the extra $$. If you have the money, go for it so you can have a great experience.

Sue

Is it true that in order to have adjoining rooms you will need a category T and a category V? I can "tolerate" 2 category V cabins but the price difference is just insane! I have 4 young children under the ages of 9 and was thinking of going concierge because of the extra assistance-- or is Disney pretty good at helping families with young children anyway? This is our first DCL cruise and I wanted it to be the best experience ever! ... but like previous posters, heard some mixed reviews. Are there a lot of Concierge rooms available at port???

Had to move our reservation from Sept 01 to March 02. We had a 4 day, one bedroom suite booked in Sept. Moved it to a 5 day March cruise, non suite, Cat. 4c. Same price . So we waitlisted for the one bedroom.

We spent our 10th wedding anniversary on the Magic, in the Walt Suite for just under $10k for a week, 5 years ago. That was amazing. So you can imagine my surprise when I got the call that that waitlist had cleared and the one bedroom suite (NOT ROYAL) for 5 days was $11,699.22, a difference of $7251. :scared1::scared1::scared1: Although the comp alcohol is enticing, I don't think we could drink enough to make up for that difference. :rotfl2:

Now don't get me wrong... I totally enjoy the suite life. But for that amount I could book a killer room in Paris for those 5 days. So I said no thanks. We will see what, if anything, is available at the port. I'll be fine with the 4c. We once cruised the Wonder for a $99 bounce back deal, and had a great time too.

Looking over the deck plans I was a bit surprised they don't have connecting cat V's

The prices for the cat T's run from 5K - 20K depending on sail date, season. and such.

MCoutney, I'm struggling with you math still? You had a cat T for Sept booked for 4500. How many people? Nice price. I suspect for two people. You had to move to 4c, same price March. I feel you may have not received the best price here. ( unless last minute). Also I thought they frown upon suite changes, etc. They should have given you change prices to the 4c from when you booked. I have a suspicion they cancelled and re booked your original reservation. Then to upgrade, generally last minute, to cat T, for that moved sailing @ 4500, into Cat T, was an additional 7300, total 11700.
Did you book with a TA or directly with DCL?

I'm fascinated with these trasactions and changes , so please follow up.:thumbsup2

ETA; because I may need to do one of these flips/changes

Looking over the deck plans I was a bit surprised they don't have connecting cat V's

The prices for the cat T's run from 5K - 20K depending on sail date, season. and such.

MCoutney, I'm struggling with you math still? You had a cat T for Sept booked for 4500. How many people? Nice price. I suspect for two people. You had to move to 4c, same price March. I feel you may have not received the best price here. ( unless last minute). Also I thought they frown upon suite changes, etc. They should have given you change prices to the 4c from when you booked. I have a suspicion they cancelled and re booked your original reservation. Then to upgrade, generally last minute, to cat T, for that moved sailing @ 4500, into Cat T, was an additional 7300, total 11700.
Did you book with a TA or directly with DCL?

I'm fascinated with these trasactions and changes , so please follow up.:thumbsup2

One bedroom suite, 2 adults & 1 child booked for a 4 day Dream cruise on the first day reservations were available (before Dream was finished). Then had to move dates, and moved to march 2012 5 day 4c for same price. No suites available when we changed dates so went on waitlist. Then in january my TA got a phone call that a one bedroom was available for the $11K price. September is low season & march is spring break, but yes that was a huge difference!

One bedroom suite, 2 adults & 1 child booked for a 4 day Dream cruise on the first day reservations were available (before Dream was finished). Then had to move dates, and moved to march 2012 5 day 4c for same price. No suites available when we changed dates so went on waitlist. Then in january my TA got a phone call that a one bedroom was available for the $11K price. September is low season & march is spring break, but yes that was a huge difference!

$4318 was original price for suite 4 day September 2011, moved to 5 day march 2012 cat 4c same price, 2a 1c.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter