• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney Dream - things are different

cruisinalong

Earning My Ears
We returned from a cruise on the Disney Dream last Thursday. The ship was attractive but there were a few things that we noticed that were surprising to us. This was our 7th Disney cruise but our first on the Dream.

- line for the Aquaduck - I was concerned that with 3,000 people on board lines would be a problem for the Aquaduck. This was not the case. Went on the ride twice and the longest wait time was about 20 min. The ride was also much more tame than I expected. This probably accounts for the short lines.

- Shutters - there used to be a lot of people looking at pictures in Shutters. Now they have everything organized and there is no general browsing of pictures. You find your little box and look at your pictures. Very sterile environment.

- Television - we do not usually watch much TV on the ship but checked it out on the last day. They have a very nice video-on-demand system. Watched Snow White without problems. The remote is not the easiest thing to use. There is an on screen tips for the remote which shows they know it is a problem.

- Telephone - the phone is a CISCO voip phone better suited to an office environment. There is no button for the usual resort functions like front desk etc. There is NO nice red light to let you know you have a message.

- Dining - the dining rooms are very nice looking but they took a lot of the fun stuff out of the experience. The changes no doubt make accountants happy. We did not see any characters in the dining room - they used to show up at least once per dinner. There was no parade of the staff around the dining room. We used to enjoy seeing all the staff parading around.

- Castaway Cay - I was amazed that the lines were much shorter for the Cookies lunch. The water slide is down near Cookies Too which was actually busier than Cookies. The other interesting thing we noticed at Castaway Cay was getting on and off the ship - the entry/exit point at the far end of the ship was used. Since the ship is almost a quarter mile long this makes for a little longer walk. The staff used the entry point that was closer. For some reason they did not use the center entry/exit point.

- Crowding - the ship and Castaway Cay felt MUCH more crowded than any of the Magic or the Wonder trips. Putting twice as many people on board with only a relatively small increase in the size of the public areas had the expected result.

- The Villians Tonight show was a huge disappointment. The fart humor went over well with the kids who were not scared.

- Golden Mickeys show was great. Sad to see Roy Disney replaced with the Disney CEO.

We returned from a cruise on the Disney Dream last Thursday. The ship was attractive but there were a few things that we noticed that were surprising to us. This was our 7th Disney cruise but our first on the Dream.

- line for the Aquaduck - I was concerned that with 3,000 people on board lines would be a problem for the Aquaduck. This was not the case. Went on the ride twice and the longest wait time was about 20 min. The ride was also much more tame than I expected. This probably accounts for the short lines.

- Shutters - there used to be a lot of people looking at pictures in Shutters. Now they have everything organized and there is no general browsing of pictures. You find your little box and look at your pictures. Very sterile environment.

- Television - we do not usually watch much TV on the ship but checked it out on the last day. They have a very nice video-on-demand system. Watched Snow White without problems. The remote is not the easiest thing to use. There is an on screen tips for the remote which shows they know it is a problem.

- Telephone - the phone is a CISCO voip phone better suited to an office environment. There is no button for the usual resort functions like front desk etc. There is NO nice red light to let you know you have a message.

- Dining - the dining rooms are very nice looking but they took a lot of the fun stuff out of the experience. The changes no doubt make accountants happy. We did not see any characters in the dining room - they used to show up at least once per dinner. There was no parade of the staff around the dining room. We used to enjoy seeing all the staff parading around.

- Castaway Cay - I was amazed that the lines were much shorter for the Cookies lunch. The water slide is down near Cookies Too which was actually busier than Cookies. The other interesting thing we noticed at Castaway Cay was getting on and off the ship - the entry/exit point at the far end of the ship was used. Since the ship is almost a quarter mile long this makes for a little longer walk. The staff used the entry point that was closer. For some reason they did not use the center entry/exit point.

- Crowding - the ship and Castaway Cay felt MUCH more crowded than any of the Magic or the Wonder trips. Putting twice as many people on board with only a relatively small increase in the size of the public areas had the expected result.

- The Villians Tonight show was a huge disappointment. The fart humor went over well with the kids who were not scared.

- Golden Mickeys show was great. Sad to see Roy Disney replaced with the Disney CEO.

Thanks for your thoughts. Nice to hear the AquaDuck line wasn't too long. :) But, I have to say I didn't see any characters on our last 4 night cruise in November in the dining room during dinner, but I do remember the staff parading around at Animators Palate. It's a shame they stopped that. It was a great way for the guests to really show apprecation for their serving team.

The reference is probably to the special appearances during dinner. Sorceror Mickey parades through the dining room in AP on the show night, though it is quick. It had been reported that the princesses went around at dinner in the Royal Palace dining room for the first few cruises at least. It sounds like the OP did a 3 night, which doesn't have the parade through the dining room since there is no pirate menu on that cruise.

I have been on 4 cruises (2 - 4 night cruises and 2 - 7 night cruises)and have never seen characters in the dinning rooms at dinner time.:confused3 We have had the characters at the breakfasts on the 7 night cruises but that was it. So, I guess I wont miss the characters at dinner since we never saw them in the first place.

On our 3-night this past weekend, we saw several princess in the first dinner seating at Royal Palace. I definitely remember Cinderella, Tiana, and Belle. We didn't have any kids at our table, so we really weren't watching for them though so I don't know how many were actually there during the meal.

The reference is probably to the special appearances during dinner. Sorceror Mickey parades through the dining room in AP on the show night, though it is quick. It had been reported that the princesses went around at dinner in the Royal Palace dining room for the first few cruises at least. It sounds like the OP did a 3 night, which doesn't have the parade through the dining room since there is no pirate menu on that cruise.

I think things have changed on the Wonder as their were no charcters on my last 4 night cruise during dinner, not even in AP. Now I remember a few years ago they had Mickey come out. Oh and when they first started doing Pirate night we got bandanas and a special menu. We got nothing of the sort back in November. Glad to hear from recent Dream cruisers though that they have the characters at dinner. Glad I'll have my camera. <BG>

I have been on 4 cruises (2 - 4 night cruises and 2 - 7 night cruises)and have never seen characters in the dinning rooms at dinner time.:confused3 We have had the characters at the breakfasts on the 7 night cruises but that was it. So, I guess I wont miss the characters at dinner since we never saw them in the first place.

I agree! I've never seen characters at dinner. We've only been on 1-4 night and 1-7 night cruise though. We did have the characters at breakfast on the 7 night.

Are there a lot of characters that walk around the ship usually?? This October will be our first time going... My 4 year old FREAKS out over the Easter Bunny and any other Character with a fake head.. I'm really hoping that she won't be trying to hide under tables the whole time!

Are there a lot of characters that walk around the ship usually?? This October will be our first time going... My 4 year old FREAKS out over the Easter Bunny and any other Character with a fake head.. I'm really hoping that she won't be trying to hide under tables the whole time!

Gosh I have never sailed on Easter so I don't know about the Easter Bunny. On past cruise's that I have been on their are specific meet and greet areas and times for the characters. I heard on the Dream that their are some pretty long lines to see them. I hope someone answers your question about the characters in the Dining roomas that will be a new one for me. Though I can't see it being like paying to go to a character dining experience at Walt Disney World.

I sail mainly on longer cruises, and have only rarely seen characters in the dining rooms. Sorcerer Mickey appears briefly on the Magic and Wonder as part of the AP show. There is an event in Lumiere's where Belle and Beast make a brief appearance along with some ladies and gentlemen in waiting.

I did see Goofy and Max put in an appearance once...not sure why, but....
Other than that, characters don't normally appear in the dining rooms.

Yes, characters do kinda wander at some points(when coming to and from a meet and greet area). First hour we were on our cruise, we were hanging out on deck 4 outside and Mickey just walked over to play with my kids. They loved it, but may freak out you kid.

I do still wonder about the size of these new ships, and how they impact what has been a superb experience. After leaving the Magic last month, I talked to people everywhere I noticed a DCL tag on their luggage. They talked about lineups for the Aquaduck, for shows and for dinners.

I was delighted at Castaway Cay to benefit from the addition of Cookies Too, which meant a reduction in the lines onshore. We will probably give the Fantasy a try, but I fear that replacing the "Magic" -- in all of its permeations -- will be a difficult task.

We just returned last Thursday from the Dream as well. We did see characters in the dining room. At Royal Palace, we saw Aurora, Cinderella, Belle, and Tiana walk thru and wave and say hello to many tables.

I think things have changed on the Wonder as their were no charcters on my last 4 night cruise during dinner, not even in AP. Now I remember a few years ago they had Mickey come out. Oh and when they first started doing Pirate night we got bandanas and a special menu. We got nothing of the sort back in November.

We've been on both the Wonder and the Dream, and we never saw characters at dinner on the Wonder. But, on the Dream we did. Also, we received bandanas and had a special menu for Pirate night just last week on the Dream. Bring your camera!

On our 2/27 4 night there were no characters at any meal... :confused3 I would still take my camera and hope though! :goodvibes

the "ice cream" is not the same. Good for me...bad for him. :rotfl2: It wasn't until we got to CC that the ice cream was real ice cream. Last year on the Wonder I could not keep him away from the self serve. His new crave...Panini's.;)

I was counting on that aspart of my costume. I hope they have them on the 5-night.

My DD3 was the same way prior to our Jan 30 MR cruise . Scared of Chuck E Cheese, Santa, the Easter Bunny... Our character breakfast was the second morning and she was so terrified I had to hold her in my lap so the other kids in our party could enjoy the characters without her freaking out :sad2: Over the course of the trip however, she grew more and more accustomed to interacting with the characters, and by the end was shaking Mickeys hand during the Friendship Rocks show :banana: I'm hoping you will have the same experience :flower3:

I was on the 3/31 cruise. 9th Disney cruise and also first on the Dream.

The phone actually does have the standard features like room service, wakeup, etc. - you just have to scroll through the menus. They should add some instructions.

Animators palette on the Dream is... well, it's just mind-blowing. It's worth going on the Dream just to experience some real Magic.

The video portraits scattered throughout the ship are also spectacular.

The family beaches did seem more crowded than with the Magic/Wonder, but Serenity Bay was remarkably empty, and a great place to grab an even better meal.

I agree that Villians Tonight didn't quite cut it, but Believe was quite excellent.

Overall I found crowding to be less than I expected. For example: I had no problem finding show seating even 5 minutes before showtime (early show). No problem getting a good view of the fireworks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter