• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney Dream Doesn't Have Solid Whitewall Verandahs?!?

When we booked our 6B stateroom on deck 6 at the very aft of the Dream while onboard the Wonder, the booking agent informed us that we would have a solid wall verandah.
I had viewed the OP's posted photo elsewhere and also wondered about the appearance of a very low solid wall with the railing above. The location of the portholes on the side on deck 6 are Category 8 staterooms and there are 4 6B on the side between the port holes and the back of the ship that are also supposed to have "solid wall verandas" but what I see are only low solid areas and it appears that there will be a railing there also. I am wondering if there may have been a design adjustment that facilitated this change since the info being presented is obviously different from what we are seeing.:confused3 It will be a nice surprise if instead of a full solid wall, we get a low solid wall and a plexiglass railing.
I know the far aft staterooms are where we will be sailing from now on whenever we want a stateroom with a verandah, as I tend to get motion sick watching things go sideways, but going forward or away does not bother me, so these far aft rooms were a major plus for me.

No there isn't. If you look closely on the video of the AFT of the ship on the DCL website, the staterooms in the back HAVE railings, also as I've been telling my family, the bottom of the stateroom in the back, goes up to the bottom of the circles for the Navigator's Verandah, whereas, the staterooms on the side of the ship goes up to bit, just a tiny bit, lower than those circles for the Navigator's Verandah. It's all been planned by Disney, and it was shown on their videos. It's just the fact that we weren't looking close enough, and that the people who probably edited the stateroom info for the Dream, did not know that there wouldn't be any solid whitewall verandahs because they probably made that page even before the final plans were finalized.

If you look closely on the video of the AFT of the ship on the DCL website, the staterooms in the back HAVE railings

I see exactly what you're saying. It does appear that all the very AFT verandah staterooms have the same railing. I'm not seeing any white walls either.

Go to the DCL website and click on the last video, it will give you a preview of the AFT part of the ship.

Wait, are you talking about the Dream? That you cannot get out of it in any way??

Because, this picture SHOWS that there will be plexiglass railings instead of solid white walls. I have category 6A stateroom # 8188 and it's at the middle of the very back of the ship. If this was on the Wonder, it WOULD be a solid white wall, but on the Dream, based on this picture, the other 6A category staterooms have those plexiglass railings. 6A category stateroom start right after those Navigator's Verandahs (those circular holes that they call verandahs).

On the Dream, there appears to be Plexiglass railings ON TOP of the metal wall, which appears to be much shorter than the wall on the current ships. But a wall is a wall, even if it is only 1-2 feet high.

On the picture you posted, you can see how the metal extends up above the floor of the verandah by at least a foot. Also compare the thickness of the metal at the back to the thickness of the regular verandah rooms forward of the oceanview rooms, and as mentioned before, consider where the top of the metal wall fall in relation to the portholes, which are not floor to ceiling. On the DCL website, watch the third video of the Dream that scans to the back of the ship. You can see the clear railings on top of the metal verandah, and when they pan around the back look to the rooms on the right, and you can see that the metal sticks up a foot or two.

Knowing the grief they've gotten about the existing metal verandahs, it's good to see they've made changes to open them up more, but also good to see that they are open and honest in mentioning that they will have a metal wall before someone comes along and complains about it being there, regardless of how short it is.

On the Dream, there appears to be Plexiglass railings ON TOP of the metal wall, which appears to be much shorter than the wall on the current ships. But a wall is a wall, even if it is only 1-2 feet high.

On the picture you posted, you can see how the metal extends up above the floor of the verandah by at least a foot. Also compare the thickness of the metal at the back to the thickness of the regular verandah rooms forward of the oceanview rooms, and as mentioned before, consider where the top of the metal wall fall in relation to the portholes, which are not floor to ceiling. On the DCL website, watch the third video of the Dream that scans to the back of the ship. You can see the clear railings on top of the metal verandah, and when they pan around the back look to the rooms on the right, and you can see that the metal sticks up a foot or two.

Knowing the grief they've gotten about the existing metal verandahs, it's good to see they've made changes to open them up more, but also good to see that they are open and honest in mentioning that they will have a metal wall before someone comes along and complains about it being there, regardless of how short it is.

:thumbsup2

I guess, but i don't think it's as long a a foot or 2. It looks like it's only 4 inch tall, but as you said, a wall's a wall.. =D

I also noticed that I think the railings are much higher on the back! :scared1:

Here are some more close-ups i found of the aft of the ship… It really looks like there WON'T be any whitewall verandah, except for the 4in. tiny wall mentioned by hallsofVA…

IMG_2015.jpg

IMG_2017.jpg

IMG_2018.jpg

SOOO EXCITED!!! :goodvibes :cheer2:

No, according to the website, certain categories will have white walls. This is off of their website.

A Deluxe Oceanview Stateroom with Verandah is classified as Categories 5A - 5E, 6A and 6B located on Decks 5 - 10, as follows:
Category 5A: Decks 9, 10
Category 5B: Deck 8
Category 5C: Deck 7
Category 5D: Deck 6
Category 5E: Deck 5
Category 6A: Decks 8, 9, 10 (whitewall verandahs)
Category 6B: Decks 5, 6, 7 (whitewall verandahs)

ahaha… one thing I noticed, they ARE whitewall verandahs, but not SOLID whitewall verandahs… :goodvibes

What am I missing? :confused3 This picture to me just looks like scaffolding in front of the ship, which would have to be there during all the construction. I see portholes, I don't see windows and doors which would indicate these are rooms with verandahs/balconies.

I'm confused :)

What am I missing? :confused3 This picture to me just looks like scaffolding in front of the ship, which would have to be there during all the construction. I see portholes, I don't see windows and doors which would indicate these are rooms with verandahs/balconies.

I'm confused :)

You can't see the doors, because they're not finished yet. But you can actually see the non-solid whitewall railings… :)

More pictures of the "solid whitewall verandahs"

Screenshot2010-07-29at10333PM.png

Screenshot2010-07-29at10323PM.png

Screenshot2010-07-29at10308PM.png

Screenshot2010-07-29at10354PM.png

All these pictures are screen shots of the "New Disney Dream Construction Video" blog post from DisneyParks Blog. The video can be found here

Unless DCL has stretched the portholes to the floor of those cabins, then there is still 2 feet or so of wall below the porthole, which means that the metal verandah would be at least a few feet high as well.

That's what I've noticed too. If you look at the renderings of the Oceanview Stateroom, it appears that the portholes almost reach from ceiling to the floor! For the Wonder and Magic, their portholes are bit smaller… :confused3

The Dream portholes (for the Cat 8's) is 'nearly' 5 feet in diameter, according to the website.

I concur... I don't think they have been painted yet so it looks like they aren't there.... I believe that the only plexiglass balconies are on the sides of the ship...

NOPE… the plexiglass have already been done around the back to the ship too, if you look at the "New Disney Dream Construction Video" from the DisneyParks Blog (link here) the back of the ship already has its railings, and I'm very sure that they would cover over that just to make it a Solid Whitewall Verandah, because if they do, then I don't see the point of putting those railings. I also posted some pictures of it on my last post in this thread… :goodvibes

Imma quote it below this post… :)

More pictures of the "solid whitewall verandahs"

Screenshot2010-07-29at10333PM.png

Screenshot2010-07-29at10323PM.png

Screenshot2010-07-29at10308PM.png

Screenshot2010-07-29at10354PM.png

All these pictures are screen shots of the "New Disney Dream Construction Video" blog post from DisneyParks Blog. The video can be found here

It's true, got it in a email when I asked DCL. :)

Curtis :cool1:

true that the portholes will be an almost 5' in diameter?? that's almost as tall as me! Wouldn't that mean that it'll take more wall space too? Meaning that the staterooms will be a bit bigger?

true that the portholes will be an almost 5' in diameter?? that's almost as tall as me! Wouldn't that mean that it'll take more wall space too? Meaning that the staterooms will be a bit bigger?

Maybe ;) (214 Square Ft as it says on the site)

Curtis :cool1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter