Disney Do's and Don't from a southern girl :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Having been there the same week as the OP, I agree with most of the "rules".

Can I add....

Don't pack your backpack so that it sticks out 12 inches from your back. Or if you do, please be aware that there are small children walking in the crowds and when you turn, you whack them in the face with your backpack.

My 11 yr old actually has a bruise because a man with a HUGE backpack, stopped short and then spun around whacking my daughter in the face with his backpack. Not even a sorry when she was crying. Just stared at us like we were aliens.

I knew the crowds would be bad and I know the crowd mentality but some people are just ridiculous. I watched an older couple just about knock a stroller over trying to cut in front of it to get to a character. A lady was pushed out of her wheelchair by a couple doing the same thing. If these were kids, it may not have been as offensive. These were 30-40 yr olds doing this. They never even stopped as we helped the lady back into her wheelchair. Geez!

Sorry....I'm over it now. DH kept reminding me that just because the people may have the money to come to Disney, it doesn't mean they have class or manners.

Sorry about your daughter. On a recent trip, a man with a large backpack came flying by me. I was standing waiting for Wishes and had a small camera bag on my belt. One of the straps from his backpack got caught on my camera bag (it was actually caught on my mickey head shaped zipper pull). He nearly pulled me over and was quite ticked off as if it were my fault his oversized backback got caught on me. It took me a good 15 to 20 seconds to get it undone before he could continue his "run" to his next stop and he never said a word to me even though I commented on how funny it was.

They don't have a written dress policy per se..but I've seen CMs nab people for wearing revealing clothing, t-shirts with profanity etc.

I think they should have a dress policy..people have no clue how to dress appropriately anymore. And it is my business if someone is walking around with their giblets hanging out of their clothes.:scared1: It's eye pollution, pure and simple. Also, bad enough on anyone, but why is it always the people who can't carry off the skimpy clothing who want to wear it? Do they not own a mirror?

I posted this a few pages earlier, but I can see how it could have gotten lost on this long thread. Here's Disney's dress policy per their official website:

http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/faq/theme-parks/#subCategory8

I have also copied and pasted it below:

Is there any clothing that isn't permissible at Walt Disney World Resort?

It is an important part of the Disney experience that the Parks are family-friendly. In that spirit, we ask you to use your discretion and common sense regarding your attire in the Parks. Attire that is not appropriate for Disney theme parks (and which may result in refusal of admittance) includes, but is not limited to:

Masks (unless you are dressing up for a particular event)
Easily visible obscene or objectionable langauge or graphics
Clothing which, by nature, exposes excessive portions of the skin that may be viewed as inappropriate for a family environment.

I don't think Disney enforces it strictly as it's hard to define what is "inappropriate for a family envirnoment" or "excessive portions of the skin".

I know this comment isn't about clothing, but I thought I would mention it here....
The case - Last summer we were at the Pirate & Princess Party...and we found our perfect spot to watch the parade (right in front of the castle). Which we had found about an hour before the parade started. The kids (DS 6 & DD 4) were playing with a CM hula hooping and dancing right in front of us. DS (14), DH, and I were sitting on the curb watching with the 2 kids strollers in between us, so when they were finished playing we could put them back in the strollers to watch the parade.... The CM was awesome!! Anyway, a group of 4 or so adults and 3 kids showed up about 15 minutes before the parade started and stood RIGHT in front of us. So, I asked them to move so the kids could see the parade and that we had been sitting there a hour to get a good spot.... they didn't move.... so, the CM told them that they could stand on the "street" to watch the parade, that they would have to find another location...well they "SQUEEZED" between us and the trash can almost knocking DS (14) over!! By this time, I am getting really ticked off... So, I mention to the "man"...look we have been here waiting for a hour and you almost knocked over my DS. He them proceeded to curse me OUT....he was yelling ...."you are a B!$ch....this is f**king WDW and I can't do whatever I want....meanwhile my 2 younger kids start crying, because this person is scaring them.....so, I finally get up and find a CM and she tells the man to calm down and move or she would call security....my DH was so angry he was RED (and he doesn't get angry often). The man continued to curse and act like a fool once the CM worked the parade, but we decided to just ignore him - which I think made him even more mad....once the parade was over - I looked straight at him and said - wow, I hope you enjoy the rest of your night and we walked off with him continuing to call me a b!&ch....

Anyway, I just wish everyone would have respect for everyone else....we all have paid ALOT of money to be at WDW.... If you see that a group is "holding" a spot for a parade/show/fireworks just move on - you will find a spot of your "own.":cloud9:

my personal favorite is the 'license plate game'.

No, not the plates on the back of cars that we all grew up playing on the interstate. The tatoos over the crack of a persons behind. For some reason people feel compelled to advertise on that part of their personal real estate.

As a Southern girl myself (who am I kidding.... a Southern 40 year old woman), I was intrigued by the title of this thread. Imagine my suprise that no one reminded the good folks to wear deoderant ; in fact, put it on, and then reapply!! It's hot folks, and no one wants to smell body odor! :sad2:GROSS!!

Hi everyone!

I don't normally post anything, just read what everyone else posts. This is an interesting thread, so I thought I'd give my 2 cents...

I have some friends that have never been to Disney. They are looking forward to taking their children this fall. They have asked me every question in the book . One thing I did tell them is that if they do not like long lines, pushy people, people with poor personal hygiene, crowds, stroller pushers and the ones that cut in front of them, parade hogs, etc...then don't come. Even though I pay just as much money as all the rest of the guests at WDW, I try to not let any of this get to me. At home, it's a different story - but at WDW, there is nothing that I can do about the lady who changed her baby's diaper on the table at Peco's Bill's or the rude guy who tore up the back of my daughter's leg with a baby stroller. These things are gonna happen, so I just expect it and go on. I'm there to have a good time. I am certainly not going to let anyone spoil it for me. After all, it is a theme park.

This is the most interesting thread I've read on the Dis for a while! As a southern girl myself (well...the girl part in spirit at least even if actual years would qualify me more as a southern woman), I would have to agree with all of your list.

To the folks who suggest that clothing cultures are different in other parts of the world, I would just have to say that I'll try to remember that when I visit in their neck of the woods and behave accordingly. However, as long as WDW is still in our neck of the woods, our culturally accepted clothing standards still apply.

That said, I do enjoy seeing folks from other cultures while I'm at WDW. I just don't want to see parts of their body that my mama taught me were supposed to be covered!

This is the most interesting thread I've read on the Dis for a while! As a southern girl myself (well...the girl part in spirit at least even if actual years would qualify me more as a southern woman), I would have to agree with all of your list.

To the folks who suggest that clothing cultures are different in other parts of the world, I would just have to say that I'll try to remember that when I visit in their neck of the woods and behave accordingly. However, as long as WDW is still in our neck of the woods, our culturally accepted clothing standards still apply.

That said, I do enjoy seeing folks from other cultures while I'm at WDW. I just don't want to see parts of their body that my mama taught me were supposed to be covered!

I agree! I still remember a few years ago when I got off of Splash Mountain and went into the restroom there, right after the gift shop. As I walked in there was a Brazilian mother, her two teenage daughters, and a younger daughter all standing there in front of the sink, laughing while they were all buck assed naked. They had stripped completely down and was holding their underwear in front of the dryer. Two of them were sitting on the counter with their bare rear ends sitting on it. I was uncomfortable, but thank goodness I was by myself. If I had had a little boy with me, I would have really been uncomfortable.

I can see the lightheartedness of how the first joke was perceived but as a european(from the uk) I have been offended by peoples comments where it seems a generalisation of Europeans has been made by some. I for example yes ill wear bikinis although they are sensible and I'd never ever dream of wearing a thong bikini or something that revealed to much at waterparks I prefer to wear tankinis or a bikini that covers up more flesh than usual. I do not like to see people wearing really tight speedo's or thong bikini's to and I have seen people of all cultures including american teens and adults wearing revealing bikinis before.

I agree with all your points though and also the points made by mums with strollers as its not always there fault. Only offended with how people appeared to made generalizations about people from Europe.

I can see the lightheartedness of how the first joke was perceived but as a european(from the uk) I have been offended by peoples comments where it seems a generalisation of Europeans has been made by some. I for example yes ill wear bikinis although they are sensible and I'd never ever dream of wearing a thong bikini or something that revealed to much at waterparks I prefer to wear tankinis or a bikini that covers up more flesh than usual. I do not like to see people wearing really tight speedo's or thong bikini's to and I have seen people of all cultures including american teens and adults wearing revealing bikinis before.

I agree with all your points though and also the points made by mums with strollers as its not always there fault. Only offended with how people appeared to made generalizations about people from Europe.

I hope I'm not among those who offended you. I too, was only replying to the generalizations made by others, as though that excused indecent exposure at a family theme park such as WDW.

Shelly,
I have to respectfully disagree with you on this! My intentions were not that at all! All I'm saying is that I nor my kids want to see men wearing speedos so tight that you might as well be naked or women wearing thong bikinis! IT IS NOT APPROPRIATE when children are present! Maybe it's Ok in some areas of the world, but it's not ok in Disney! I agree with the poster who said it was like a PG-13 movie, although I actually saw a few people that could be in a rated R movie!

Once again, this was not meant to criticize anyone!

Sorry if I offended anyone!

Tam
If it is not ok Disney will tell them. If Disney have no problem with it then neither do I.

Shelly,
I have to respectfully disagree with you on this! My intentions were not that at all! All I'm saying is that I nor my kids want to see men wearing speedos so tight that you might as well be naked or women wearing thong bikinis! IT IS NOT APPROPRIATE when children are present! Maybe it's Ok in some areas of the world, but it's not ok in Disney! I agree with the poster who said it was like a PG-13 movie, although I actually saw a few people that could be in a rated R movie!

Once again, this was not meant to criticize anyone!

Sorry if I offended anyone!

Tam

I have to disagree with this!!! There is NOTHING wrong with wearing a speedo - all the parts are covered (a thong does not).

To say they are inappropriate because children are present is silly! Speedos are acceptable and I have seen boys of all ages wear them.

I really do not understand your comments.

But I am actually genuinely confused as to what else could be worn? (I know it is a brand and we are not talking avoiding that specific brand, and I understand I don't want to be wearing a "Borat" costume) - but general swimwear is general swimwear right?

When I look at video of people at Typhoon Lagoon - they all seen to be wearing regular swimming trunks - so I am not sure what it is that is supposed to be avoided or what the alternative is?
You're thinking about this WAY too much! And you're getting caught up in the definitions of "trunks", "shorts" and "cut-offs".

At the water parks, you CANNOT wear any swimsuit or type of shorts or cut-offs that contain any sort of metal. No chains, grommets, studs, etc. Other than that, any kind of swimwear you have is fine. Speedos, bikinis, one-piece, tanktinis, surf shorts, baggies, regular trunks, or any other swimwear. If you can wear it to a public pool (and it doesn't have any metal pieces on it), you can wear it at WDW.

The official policy from Disney states: "Swim Attire must be appropriate and without buckles, rivets, or exposed metal. Inappropriate swim attire or swim attire with buckles, rivets, or exposed metal are not allowed down any of the attractions. Guests with jeans on are not permitted down any of the slides." Obviously, "appropriate" is in the eye of the beholder, but again ... if you feel comfortable wearing it to a public pool, then you're fine at WDW.

Does that help?

:earsboy:

Hi everyone!

I don't normally post anything, just read what everyone else posts. This is an interesting thread, so I thought I'd give my 2 cents...

I have some friends that have never been to Disney. They are looking forward to taking their children this fall. They have asked me every question in the book . One thing I did tell them is that if they do not like long lines, pushy people, people with poor personal hygiene, crowds, stroller pushers and the ones that cut in front of them, parade hogs, etc...then don't come. Even though I pay just as much money as all the rest of the guests at WDW, I try to not let any of this get to me. At home, it's a different story - but at WDW, there is nothing that I can do about the lady who changed her baby's diaper on the table at Peco's Bill's or the rude guy who tore up the back of my daughter's leg with a baby stroller. These things are gonna happen, so I just expect it and go on. I'm there to have a good time. I am certainly not going to let anyone spoil it for me. After all, it is a theme park.
And if you think about it, "these things" don't really happen all that often, in the big scheme of things. Yes, nearly everyone has a story of someone who took their spot at the parade or someone who jumped a line, or someone who was rude to a CM. But clearly those aren't the bulk of the happenings on any given trip. If they were, no one would ever come back! The one or two really negative things that happen over your 5 or 9 or 14-day trip will obviously be the things that stick out in your mind, but if you think about them in the context of the entire vacation, they take on a lot less importance.

:earsboy:

I can see where a lot of people would be offended by a lot of stuff in this thread! All Europeans do not wear thongs, all muslims do not wear head-to-toe bathing suits (and those who do would probably prefer not to be called smurfs), and apparently Queen Elizabeth didn't mind getting a hug from the First Lady of the US.

Suggestion -- if you see someone's actual giblets (haha, PP!), tell a CM. If you're just imagining seeing someone's giblets because they have something on a little more revealing than you prefer, look away. The childrens' heads are not going to explode unless YOUR head explodes. They take their cues from you.

It's amazing how much better some of you are than the rest of us! Good thing you are here to teach the rest of us how to act, who to hug, and what to wear! :flower3:

It's amazing how much better some of you are than the rest of us! Good thing you are here to teach the rest of us how to act, who to hug, and what to wear! :flower3:

:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

What in the world would we do without out the perfect folk? I hope I can remember all the rules during our next trip.

I hope I don't forget to dress like an "American".:rolleyes:

But I am actually genuinely confused as to what else could be worn? (I know it is a brand and we are not talking avoiding that specific brand, and I understand I don't want to be wearing a "Borat" costume) - but general swimwear is general swimwear right?

When I look at video of people at Typhoon Lagoon - they all seen to be wearing regular swimming trunks - so I am not sure what it is that is supposed to be avoided or what the alternative is?
Geeg,
I'm 6 foot tall, and over 200 pounds, and I have what is refered to as a beer belly. I would never wear a thong, or speedo, or "banana hammock" just because it really isn't flattering to my body type.
Some people don't care about what other people think, and would wear one because it is more comfortable for them.
to take a line from the twilight zone, "imagine if you will, a 350 pound woman (or man) wedged into a small bathing suit that really does little to conceal their generous assets"
This is what some people have a problem with. Others can see something like that and just get a good chuckle.
The other side of the coin is someone who actually fills out the suit well, and may be in danger of providing other guests with a jack in the box type surprise because you never know if, or when, something may pop out and surprise you.
If you are comfortable in a speedo, or thong, or just regular bathing trunks, then you should wear them.
When I see some of the comments, it reminds me of the Sandals resorts ads, where everyone in the ad is a super model type, or well built athlete type, but when you get there, you see Granny in a french cut string bikini.
There are different body types all over the world as well as different styles of all types of clothing.
One should never feel they have to purchase a whole new wardrobe to fit in with their host country.
I would hate to visit europe for business, and make a first stop at a mens clothing store so that I can by a suit in the european style so that I can "blend in", especially when there are many people in all countries that already do not dress exactly the same.

I can see where a lot of people would be offended by a lot of stuff in this thread! All Europeans do not wear thongs, all muslims do not wear head-to-toe bathing suits (and those who do would probably prefer not to be called smurfs), and apparently Queen Elizabeth didn't mind getting a hug from the First Lady of the US.

Suggestion -- if you see someone's actual giblets (haha, PP!), tell a CM. If you're just imagining seeing someone's giblets because they have something on a little more revealing than you prefer, look away. The childrens' heads are not going to explode unless YOUR head explodes. They take their cues from you.

I agree with your first two points, but your third point is just a little off and even a bit condescending and sarcastic IMHO (unless your point was toward those on both sides of the argument). With the smiley in the thread title, the OP was just trying to humorously point out some of her pet peeves, which many others agree with. Even Disney in their dress code says to use "common sense" and she was defining her own version of common sense. I agree that it's a subjective term that can be interpreted differently by everyone. And on the contrary, those who were adamantly opposed to the OP also pushed their agenda hard and tried to teach others how to act and what to wear (anything goes). And I found it most amusing that one poster who was trying not to be "judgmental" about what others wear called out the "smurf" in the full body swimsuit. Yes, it was humorous, but also very hypocritical.

The point of this is that the debate on this subject is healthy. For a few posters to be condescending (on either side of the argument) is counterproductive. I believe that everyone has a right to their opinion and if you disagree, that's okay, but we should try to argue the points not make fun of the poster.

I agree with your first two points, but your third point is just a little off and even a bit condescending and sarcastic IMHO (unless your point was toward those on both sides of the argument). With the smiley in the thread title, the OP was just trying to humorously point out some of her pet peeves, which many others agree with. Even Disney in their dress code says to use "common sense" and she was defining her own version of common sense. I agree that it's a subjective term that can be interpreted differently by everyone. And on the contrary, those who were adamantly opposed to the OP also pushed their agenda hard and tried to teach others how to act and what to wear (anything goes). And I found it most amusing that one poster who was trying not to be "judgmental" about what others wear called out the "smurf" in the full body swimsuit. Yes, it was humorous, but also very hypocritical.

The point of this is that the debate on this subject is healthy. For everyone to be condescending (on either side of the argument) is counterproductive. I believe that everyone has a right to their opinion and if you disagree, that's okay, but we should try to argue the points not make fun of the poster.

:thumbsup2

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter