• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney Do's and Don't from a southern girl :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure if someone mentioned this because I only got to read the first page of replies but I would like to add watch your language - we parked over at the Contemporary a week ago to go to Chef Mickey's and I had my 3 young girls with me. I passed a woman arguing with her mother in the parking lot because she left their jackets in the room instead of bringing them to their car and she was dropping the F-bomb left and right to her elderly mother and in front of my children. :sad2: Remember where you are and who might be listening in.

Hmm let's see, If I go to Otowa which is in the country right ABOVE us, and that's how they are living. Then go to Cancun which is in the country right BELOW us and that's how they live. Then if I go to ANY given European country and that's how they live. So EVERYONE else is wrong but us?
Understand i'm not saying what is right what is wrong. But it's pompus to state that we're right and everyone is wrong because we cower from a couple of exposed breasts.

Hmmmm....I live in Ottawa (note the spelling, it is our nation's capital after all) and I don't recall seeing exposed breasts at the local pool...

So us Europeans are uneducated and uncivilised because I am asking exactly what the protocol is?

I am due to be in Disney World in 5 days - I do hope I find the welcome a bit friendlier, rather than the condescension and insults from some on this thread.

I'm sorry to inform you, but there is an "american taliban". These are the people who walk around looking to be offended. Never mind them. These are mountain outtuva molehill people.

Hmmmm....I live in Ottawa (note the spelling, it is our nation's capital after all) and I don't recall seeing exposed breasts at the local pool...

Maybe not at your local pool but when I went up there to visit some dear friends, I was astounded how easily the females just took their tops off to tan. We often use MSN to communicate instead of the phone and till this day my friend's wife would casually walk past the webcam topless without a thought and wave hi. There's nothing sexual about it. It's just not a big issue.

And by all that is holy please please please don't string me up by my toes and make me sing the mating call of the wayward moose because I can't spell!!!

Having been there the same week as the OP, I agree with most of the "rules".

Can I add....

Don't pack your backpack so that it sticks out 12 inches from your back. Or if you do, please be aware that there are small children walking in the crowds and when you turn, you whack them in the face with your backpack.

My 11 yr old actually has a bruise because a man with a HUGE backpack, stopped short and then spun around whacking my daughter in the face with his backpack. Not even a sorry when she was crying. Just stared at us like we were aliens.

I knew the crowds would be bad and I know the crowd mentality but some people are just ridiculous. I watched an older couple just about knock a stroller over trying to cut in front of it to get to a character. A lady was pushed out of her wheelchair by a couple doing the same thing. If these were kids, it may not have been as offensive. These were 30-40 yr olds doing this. They never even stopped as we helped the lady back into her wheelchair. Geez!

Sorry....I'm over it now. DH kept reminding me that just because the people may have the money to come to Disney, it doesn't mean they have class or manners.

It's not a matter of who cares or who is offended, it's about respecting the customs of your host.

Somewhere along the way in this thread, people began confusing the words "custom" and "fashion."

And I agree with the last poster; I get really annoyed with people who have giant backpacks and no consideration for people around them.
Actually I get really annoyed with anybody who has no consideration for people around them.
But those inconsiderate folks with giant backpacks are dangerous and look silly too.

hey if we're talking customs and fashions can I request that women from certain parts of the country don't wear fanny packs and big hair, and full makeup and too tight spandex shorts cause really, that's just offensive to anyone. Be respectful of those of us who actually do have taste. Mullets have to go too. And belly shirts on 45 year old women (I don't really want to see your stretch marks, nor do you need to see mine) and socks with sandles and while we're at it, please your visible panty lines are really gross and further your husbands and their cutoff shorts aren't that great either.

Really folks...those of you on the US high horse really need to step back and avoid the poop when you do, because there is a lot of it around. the people in the US have a lot of weird fashions and customs. We really shouldn't be critizing people from other countries.

hey if we're talking customs and fashions can I request that women from certain parts of the country don't wear fanny packs and big hair, and full makeup and too tight spandex shorts cause really, that's just offensive to anyone. Be respectful of those of us who actually do have taste. Mullets have to go too. And belly shirts on 45 year old women (I don't really want to see your stretch marks, nor do you need to see mine) and socks with sandles and while we're at it, please your visible panty lines are really gross and further your husbands and their cutoff shorts aren't that great either.

Really folks...those of you on the US high horse really need to step back and avoid the poop when you do, because there is a lot of it around. the people in the US have a lot of weird fashions and customs. We really shouldn't be critizing people from other countries.

:rotfl2: Oh my Heck that was hilarious!!!!
:rotfl2:

I totally agree with the comment on "stroller pushers" 90 % of people that visit Disney have children and it isn't our fault if people stop in front of us so therefore we have to stop!

As for the dress code??? Does Disney really have a dress code? NO they dont. I think if Disney thinks what people are wearing is fine.......then it must be fine!

We just go on vacation to have a good time with our family, not to worry about what others are doing. Frankly its NONE of our business!

They don't have a written dress policy per se..but I've seen CMs nab people for wearing revealing clothing, t-shirts with profanity etc.

I think they should have a dress policy..people have no clue how to dress appropriately anymore. And it is my business if someone is walking around with their giblets hanging out of their clothes.:scared1: It's eye pollution, pure and simple. Also, bad enough on anyone, but why is it always the people who can't carry off the skimpy clothing who want to wear it? Do they not own a mirror?

I'm no supermodel. I know my limitations and dress appropriately. People, no one wants to see your cameltoe, your muffin-top, your backfat or back hair. Cover up!!:mad: And sure, you can wear what you want, free country and all that, but don't get your feeling hurt when you're gawked at.

Oh, and kudo to the poster who mentioned belly-shirts on anyone over the age of 35(younger if you've had multiple kids). Can we throw in pregnant ladies who walk around with their huge bellies hanging out(this is ok at the pool or beach)? Again, this goes back to the "stretchmarks on display" thing.

This has been more entertaining than the tour group discussion.

"My DF used to say that opinions are like arm pits; everyone has a couple and if they aren't like yours, they stink!"

And belly shirts on 45 year old women (I don't really want to see your stretch marks, nor do you need to see mine) and socks with sandles and while we're at it, please your visible panty lines are really gross and further your husbands and their cutoff shorts aren't that great either.

:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:
although I would rather see a 45 year old woman who maybe weighs 130 in a belly shirt, rather than some of the 200# , 20 year olds who wear them with hip hugger pants:eek::scared1:

I honestly can't believe this thread ballooned into 10 pages in a few hours. Anyways....
I will agree with some posters several pages back that I am WAY more offended to have tween/teen girls walk into my CLASSROOM looking half naked. I have asked more than one to leave my class.
I'm sorry, but the impression they are making is poor, at best.
If you don't want to cover it up at WDW, at least put it away at school!

I used to teach nursing students (college students) and although I could not control their attire to the lab for class, I could control their attire when they did their skills check off .... one simple rule

No ****s, no butts, no bellies or your grade will be penalized. It wasnt a mystery, it was clearly posted and everyone knew it. One girl tried me, wearing an extremely short ruffle skirt from old navy. When she started the IV on her dummy, she flashed the entire hallway a view of her thong.....

Needless to say she did get the penalty -- after that not only attire during check off, but also attire during class did improve.

And to the OP who started this thread -- I quite loved your tone, definately could hear the humor and agree with you said.

Ha..some of the characters dress provacatively if you ask me...Donald Duck doesn't wear pants!!

:lmao::rotfl: Thanks for the giggle :)

Good morning everyone! Nice to see the thread has gone more debatey rather than the earlier tone :), plus I had a nice giggle all the way through because of a terminology difference. I see alot of people referring to banana hammocks - in NZ, a banana hammock is a mankini, or in other words, Borat's swimsuit, so all the BH references set me off snickering. In NZ we have a sports match called the "Wellington Sevens", and it's traditional for groups of spectators to dress up in costumes to add to the festivities. I once saw an entire group of males wearing mankinis and borat wigs as their costume - they got alot of attention walking down our capital city's main streets.

Also, someone further back asked about the word togs; it's our generic word for bathers/swimsuits/swim cossies/etc in NZ.

Otherwise, I'm enjoying reading all the different views :) Thanks for sharing everyone!

The attaire that is appropirate at Disney is whatever Disney deems it to be. It is Disney's decision to decide what is appropriate and not another guest.
For the OP to say sometinhg is inappropirate is their opinion, which they are entitled to, but does not make it a fact.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter