Disney Dolphin vs Wilderness Lodge

darioster

Earning My Ears
We have stayed at the Wilderness Lodge and Beach club several times and are going to try the Dolphin for the first time what should we expect

you will have to rent a car or use a towncar service if you are flying since there is no Magical Express Service to the Swan and Dolphin.

Great room, comfortable beds, fantastic location but it does not feel like a "Disney" hotel. It is big and clean but feels like a business hotel. :cool1:

You may also b e subject to resort fees and you have to pay for parking a vehicle for every night of your stay.

The beds are awesome. Walking distance from HS and Epcot or you can take the boat to these parks.

There is zero disney feel.

While there is "zero disney feel" in that the cast members are not Disney but Starwood, they are still highly trained and having stayed in both Disney resorts and the Swan and Dolphin, the fact that you are right in the middle of the Epcot resort area, with Disney transportation to the parks and Extra Magic Hours, you might actually "feel more Disney" at the Dolphin than at, let's say, most Disney moderate resorts.

while i prefer the disney resorts we enjoyed our stay at the dolphin...they have a good price point. the location is great, good dining options, awesome staff. if you can snag a good rate it is worth a try.:goodvibes

Had to try it the price is just to good not to check out. We love the epcot area so thought to give it a try . They are running stay 5 nights get the 6th night free plus $100 resort credit and room upgrade

From what I have read about the Swan & Dolphin you can't charge anything to your room from the parks, Downtown Disney or the other WDW Resorts. You can only do that at the restaurants and stores for the Swan & Dolphin.

The Dolphin is a fabulous resort and to me does have a Disney feel. You are right between Epcot and HS, some rooms have views of TOT at HS, Epcot ball, and MK fireworks in the distance. The Boardwalk is right outside the door and there is a very nice Disney themed gift shop. The Swan Dolphin also offers a character meal with Mickey and Pluto. The pool and beach area is very nice and there is a minature golf course right across the street. When we can't get a discount through Disney for the time we want to go, the Dolphin usually always has a rate that is even less than a Disney moderate.

The Swan and Dolphin have some nice restaurants and some very nice pools. The rooms were comfortable. The location is very convenient.

But there is no "right in your face" Disney decor. And you will pay a daily parking fee and resort fee that will bring up your daily room costs.

We love the Dolphin. Did a split stay once WL/Dolphin and could not wait to get back "home" to the Dolphin. The beds, room to move in the room, LOCATION, service, cleanliness, I could go on and on. We have stayed there 4 times now...never disappointed. We have only stayed there with our kids who were ages 9 & 5 at first visit and then 19 & 15 last visit. It is their favorite hotel for the $$$, we love CR and the Polynesian too, but let's face it, we have never paid over $129 for the Dolphin and that is the best deluxe value in WDW to us. Join the Starwoods reward program, if there is an upgrade available you will receive it being a member. Yes, there are resort fees, yes you pay for parking...it is still a deal for a deluxe. You can purchase packages and get them at the gate...no biggie to carry them back to the resort. The Grotto pool is awesome, the Fountain restaurant is awesome, great food, ice cream. Again, walking to 2 parks? Not having to wait for a bus at the end of the night? I would not hesitate to stay there..matter of fact it is the first place we check on. I have always had nothing but excellent service there which is worth giving up hearing "Have a Magical Day". My kids toys have been arranged, we have had extra towels left for us without even asking. Room service ahs always been timely. Only once did we have a situation with a view issue...the couple in the wing to the right of our room liked ot keep their drapes open, and well, go au naturel'...we happened to be on our balcony and there was no way to avoid seeing them standing there, looking out at the view as well...but we made a call and their drapes we closed after that. I would not worry about your choice of the Dolphin..I also do not get the whole "no Disney feel" thing...you can see Epcots fireworks, you can take a short walk to the Boardwalk, you are surrounded by Disney. The gift shop is called Daisy's...:confused3 again, unless you are hugely into character wake up calls, plates in the shape of mickey ( which are cool, but not worth skipping a resort over, you can get those in the park) you will be fine. We have even had the captain of the Friendship boats trade and give pins to our kids...and where else on site are you going to be earning rewards towards a free night(s) stay?
I would expect your stay at the BC to be similar...yes SAB is amazing, yes the rooms are sizeable, but so is the rate. I would say you will be in a similar feel...way more of the BC than of WL.

We love the Dolphin! I do get the disney feeling because it is so close to Epcot. Love the boat/walk transportation to Epcot and Studios. Never had problems with busses to MK, AK or DTD/waterparks. Busses do share with other Epcot resorts.

Staff is on par with disney CM's....restaurant choices awesome. No food court, but sort of a grab and go food area.

Last summer we were able to have the packages delivered to the Dolphin gift shop, arrived the next day.

Pool is great too.

The Dolphin is fabulous! While you can't charge things at the parks to your room, you can have the packages delivered there if you choose. You can take advantage of EMH and you can use Disney transportation.

You'll have the bonus of the Epcot area without paying through the nose for the privilege.

I have never felt un-Disney like at the Dolphin or the Swan. The Swan is my preference just because the general 'footprint' is smaller. We were at our room in the Swan to the buffeteria in less time than we were from our Dolphin room LOL!!

Other than the Magical Express there haven't been anything we have missed. It actually saves me money when I am in the park - I have a tendency to overspend when I am using the room key - when I have to pull out a CC, it sinks in a bit more!!

We have always had our packages delivered to resort also.

We love being able to boat to Epcot & DSH. It's nice in the morning for Epcot to walk thru the one side of the WS & take pictures of the buildings without all the people in them. It's an easy walk to the Boardwalk if you want to go to the ESPN club, etc.

Their pool is fantastic & the mini-golf is just past the pool area across the road.

DS loved being able to do his morning run around the entire loop.

To be honest, if I did not have gift cards from rewards programs for Disney that are taking care of the hotels, we would be back at S/D in a flash. We get the Deluxe hotel for the mod price.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter