Disney Dollars

Eugene W Flynn

Earning My Ears
How do you get Disney Dollars? What are they good for? What are the advantages of Disney Dollars vs. cash? Can I give my grandchildren Disney Dollars to spend?

U CAN PICK UP SOME DISNEY DOLARS AT THE DISNEY STORE....
JUST A NOVELTY CASH WORKS THE SAME....
NO ADVANTAGE PETER

You can purchase Disney Dollars at the Disney Store - maybe online - but I'm not sure of that.

The only advantage to D$ vs $$ is that they can only be spent at Disney (Stores, parks, online) so for some it is a way to force save for Disney trips, etc.

Yes you can give the GKs D$ to spend.......

Be aware, however, that you cannot use them to directly purchase items on board DCL.

Items would need to be put on a room charge and then you could use Disney Dollars to payoff your room charges at guest services.

Disney Dollars are, however, valid for purchases at just about every vendor/store at WDW.

Eugene you can purchase Disney Dollars at any Disney Store. Disney Dollars would be a great gift for the Grand Kids, depending on how old they are. If they don't understand that they CAN NOT use them as money on the ship then I would say go for it, but if they are to young to understand that and they would have to turn over their Disney Dollars to Mom or Dad to be applied to the stateroom charges then I would say don't even think of giving them Disney Dollars. I can see this good deed turning into a big problem for their parents. As I have suggested to you in your earlier post of this matter get them the onboard gift certificate which are applied to the stateroom account.

The reason i like disney dollars is it forces me to save, I have 800.00 of them already for our upcomming cruise, I can't spend them here in MA. except at the Disney store so i can't spend them figuring I will put the money back in my vacation account. Once on board I put them on our shipboard account (giving me a credit balance) if there is money left (never has happended yet) they will give you cash back. If you gave them to the grandkids they could put them on their account and spend them as such (provided mom and dad gave them spending privedges) or if the parents did not allow them charging they could put the DD;s on the parents account and be allowed to charge that amount with the parents concent. I think it is a great idea

AnnMorin I am glad this method works for you as I am sure it would for most adults. But for a child say under the age of 7 who doesn't understand about onboard accounts and why they have to give Mom or Dad their Disney Dollar instead of the store clerk it may not work so well for them.

For our son it has always worked (he gets DD's for his report card and such) but he was eight when we took him on his first cruise and was able to easilly understand charging and the value of the dollars, for a younger child it may not work I don't know as that has never been my experience since our son was older.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter