disney dollars question

ellenmiele

<a href="http://www.wdwinfo.com/dis-sponsor/" targ
I'm going to convert my kids' allowance to disney dollars for the few months before our trip and I know they can be used anywhere in WDW but can they also be used in Disney Stores if the kids want to buy something Disney before the trip or if they have any left when we get back?

:disrocks: -- someone always knows the answers.....

I'm curious how you do this. Where do you get Disney Dollars before you get to WDW? I saw some on e-bay, but a lot of them have a large shipping charge associated with them. Is there a place you can do a direct exchange? I guess I'm looking for the Disney currency exchange. I want to give my girls a few Disney Dollars for spending money at Disney.

I usually buy them right at the Disney Store or directly from Disney (they have a small FedEx shipping charge) but I just don't know if you can then use them right back in the store where I got them in the first place. I guess I can call our local Disney Store when the mall opens at 10 and find our for sure. And when I do but them I usually buy all $5's because the kids usually get $5 allowance each week and there is rarely anything they'd want to buy in Disney that costs less anyway....

..it's also a great idea for the tooth fairy!

I am a little confused about the Disney rewards thing too. I have a Disney Visa card and have been using it to make lots of purchases to earn disney dollars for my kids for spending money. Once you earn them, what do you have to do to actually use them? I thought you just got a Reward card and use it the same way you would a credit/debit card. Are you able to get actual "dollars" that the kids can spend? That would be way more fun for them I think.

Heather

How do the Disney Dollars work? Is there any advantage to using them other than a fun thing for the kids? Do they cost just a dollar for dollar exchange? Any quick general info on them is appreciated. I would love to present some of these to my kids when we arrive but would like more info so I know what I am talking about.

Thanks so much
Angie

Disney Dollars are different from Visa Rewards Dollars. You can buy Disney Dollars at the Disney Store. They are actual currency with characters on them - very cool! They can be used at the store or at any Disney Resort - parks, restaurants, gift shops, you name it. They are a dollar for dollar exchange.

I'm not sure about Rewards Dollars, as I applied for my Visa card but hasn't arrived yet!

:goodvibes

The Disney Visa card gives you a rewards card that can be used just like cash on Disney property. You could use the rewards card to purchase Disney dollars (I think...you know there's always restrictions on those things).

Just to add, they say in small print on the upper right that they can be used at Disneyland, Disney World, or any US (incl. Puerto Rico) Disney Store.

My DH bought me a bunch from the Disney Store for my birthday a couple of months ago, in anticipation of our trip!

heather31 said:
I am a little confused about the Disney rewards thing too. I have a Disney Visa card and have been using it to make lots of purchases to earn disney dollars for my kids for spending money. Once you earn them, what do you have to do to actually use them? I thought you just got a Reward card and use it the same way you would a credit/debit card. Are you able to get actual "dollars" that the kids can spend? That would be way more fun for them I think.

Heather

You need to go to the Chase/Disney Visa site under managing rewards (or similar title). There you sign up to get the actual reward card and can transfer your balance to it. Keep in mind, once you transfer the balance there is an expiration date (usually ayear or two). The reward card is then used just like a debit card and can be used anywhere on Disney property (for tickets, restaurants, hotels, gift shops etc). Yes...they are totally different than Disney Dollars. Kathy :earsgirl:

Thanks for clearing all of the confusion. I plan on giving the kids free reign on whatever "dollars" we get out of the rewards points on my VISA card. So far, we have about $140 and still a few months to go!!!!

Heather

Our DS had gotten Disney Dollars for his birthday and Christmas before our vacation and it was great for him to have his own money to spend how he wanted to. Just to let you know--any change was given in regular dollars.

Thanks for the info. I'm going to try to stop at our Disney Store today and pick some up.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter