Disney Documentaries on DVD

Merry Mousketeer

Hey there, hi there, ho there!
Hello,

When I was at The Walt Disney Family Museum on Sunday, March 28, I was told the following documentaries will be released on DVD in August 2010:

Walt and El Grupo - The story of Walt Disney's goodwill trip to South America with several animators shortly before Wold War II.

The Boys - The story of the Sherman Brothers who wrote so many beloved film, television and theme park tunes. My wife and I saw this film on last year's DVC members cruise on the Disney Wonder. It is very moving.

Waking Sleeping Beauty - The story of the fall and rise of animation in the Disney company, the passing of the Disney company from family atmosphere under Ron Miller to the coroporate profit-before-creativity atmosphere under Michael Eisner and Jeffrey Katzenberg. I saw this film on March 28. Even if you aren't into animation, seeing how the company changed is fascinating and how Frank Wells was able to manage the conflicting egos of Michael Eisner, Roy Disney, and Jeff Katzenberg. The death of Frank Wells was the beginning of the end of Michael Eisner's successful career at Disney since no one could control those egos. The tension became apparant at Frank Wells' memorial service!

Of course, these release plans could change, but it gives hope for those of us who won't have the opportunity to see these films.

I purchased the documentary "Frank and Ollie" at the museum. I've heard it's excellent. I'm looking forward to seeing it.

That's great news. I hope to see them when they come out.

Hello,

When I was at The Walt Disney Family Museum on Sunday, March 28, I was told the following documentaries will be released on DVD in August 2010:

Walt and El Grupo - The story of Walt Disney's goodwill trip to South America with several animators shortly before Wold War II.

The Boys - The story of the Sherman Brothers who wrote so many beloved film, television and theme park tunes. My wife and I saw this film on last year's DVC members cruise on the Disney Wonder. It is very moving.

Waking Sleeping Beauty - The story of the fall and rise of animation in the Disney company, the passing of the Disney company from family atmosphere under Ron Miller to the coroporate profit-before-creativity atmosphere under Michael Eisner and Jeffrey Katzenberg. I saw this film on March 28. Even if you aren't into animation, seeing how the company changed is fascinating and how Frank Wells was able to manage the conflicting egos of Michael Eisner, Roy Disney, and Jeff Katzenberg. The death of Frank Wells was the beginning of the end of Michael Eisner's successful career at Disney since no one could control those egos. The tension became apparant at Frank Wells' memorial service!

Of course, these release plans could change, but it gives hope for those of us who won't have the opportunity to see these films.

I purchased the documentary "Frank and Ollie" at the museum. I've heard it's excellent. I'm looking forward to seeing it.

Thanks for the info! I really want to see The Boys and Waking Sleeping Beauty! I hope The Boys comes out soon. I know there is no set release date, I wish they would set that.

I have the Frank & Ollie DVD too, I enjoyed it very much, it's so great they were able to make it before they passed away.

I also have a great DVD called "Walt, the Man Behind the Myth." It goes through Walt's whole life and I thought it was fascinating. I even learned some things I had never heard before about Walt. I highly recommend this DVD if the have it at the museum shop.

Don Hahn made the comment at a "Waking Sleeping Beauty" screening in Burbank last Saturday that "The Boys" and "Waking Sleeping Beauty" might be released this fall as part of the next wave of the Walt Disney Treasures dvd series. He said the details are still being worked out.

Great news. I was really interested in the Disney Treasure series but customs and vat put paid to that.
These additional releases might make the penelties just about bearable.

Great. I was so upset when The Boys came and went from NYC before I blinked. That's why I made sure not to miss Waking Sleeping Beauty - and it's a not-to-miss film. I'm usually not a DVD buyer, but I may make an exception for The Boys.

Thanks for the info! I really want to see The Boys and Waking Sleeping Beauty! I hope The Boys comes out soon. I know there is no set release date, I wish they would set that.

I have the Frank & Ollie DVD too, I enjoyed it very much, it's so great they were able to make it before they passed away.

I also have a great DVD called "Walt, the Man Behind the Myth." It goes through Walt's whole life and I thought it was fascinating. I even learned some things I had never heard before about Walt. I highly recommend this DVD if the have it at the museum shop.

It sounds like "The Boys" and "Waking Sleeping Beauty" will be out in either August or September. Thank you for letting me know you enjoyed "Frank & Ollie". I'll let you know my impressions after I watch it.

My wife bought me "Walt, the Man Behind the Myth" last year, and I agree that it is a wonderful documentary. I know I saw it in the museum bookstore. In fact, much of the footage from the documentary is used in the interactive kiosks in the museum. Not surprising since Walt's grandson, who made the documentary, was instrumental in creating the museum. I believe there is also a companion book.

Since we're on the subject of documentaries about Walt's life, I'm wondering if anyone remembers seeing a TV movie or mini-series about Walt's life many years ago. It was not a documentary, but more of a drama. It may have been on the weekly Disney TV series when Michael Eisner was the host. I have a vague memory of seeing it, but am starting to think I imagined it or have it confused with something else since I've never seen it released on home video.

Since we're on the subject of documentaries about Walt's life, I'm wondering if anyone remembers seeing a TV movie or mini-series about Walt's life many years ago. It was not a documentary, but more of a drama. It may have been on the weekly Disney TV series when Michael Eisner was the host. I have a vague memory of seeing it, but am starting to think I imagined it or have it confused with something else since I've never seen it released on home video.

That was Walt - The Man behind the Myth. They showed it the first or second Saturday after the tragedy of September 11th. I have it on DVD and it is one of my most treasured documentaries. The book that goes with is just as wonderful.

I was searching for reviews of Frank & Ollie but it sounds like I will love that one too. The Boys - The Sherman Brothers story would be a great addition to any Disney Documentary fan. I truly enjoyed it. Still waiting for screenings of Waking Sleeping Beauty...Atlanta doesn't get it until October. :( I was hoping that there would be screenings of it in the L.A. area when I am at Disneyland in September but it doesn't look like it.

These DVDs are available on Amazon for pre-order for a Novemeber 30, 2010 release.

Each DVD is listed at $21.99.

I have seen The Boys: The Sherman Brothers Story and Waking Sleeping Beauty and enjoyed both of them.

It's a great day to be alive,
Carol

If you have digital cable, it might be on demand. That's where I saw The boys. It was really really good.

That was Walt - The Man behind the Myth. They showed it the first or second Saturday after the tragedy of September 11th. I have it on DVD and it is one of my most treasured documentaries. The book that goes with is just as wonderful.

I'm pretty sure it's not Walt - The Man Behind the Myth since my wife bought that DVD for me a couple of years ago and when I watched it, it didn't look like the one I'm remembering. I agree it's a wonderful DVD. Much of the interview footage is used in The Walt Disney Family Museum.

And you are correct, this documentary was the first show ABC broadcast when they returned to regular programming after the 9-11 attacks. They cut approximately five minutes out of the documentary so Michael Eisner could do a special introduction.

I went on the KTTK tour last Jan. and our tour guide recommended the Walt: The Man Behind the Myth DVD. So I looked for it at WDW but wasn't able to find it. When I got home I looked online and it was hard to find and expensive. I waited for my next visit to DL and sure enough they had it there for $14.99 and plenty of them! So just wanted to throw that out there in case anyone wants to buy it and is planning on going to DL. It is a great DVD. Also, I loved The Boys! I was able to see it on Demand with my cable company. I think I might buy it on DVD as well.

I went on the KTTK tour last Jan. and our tour guide recommended the Walt: The Man Behind the Myth DVD. So I looked for it at WDW but wasn't able to find it. When I got home I looked online and it was hard to find and expensive. I waited for my next visit to DL and sure enough they had it there for $14.99 and plenty of them! So just wanted to throw that out there in case anyone wants to buy it and is planning on going to DL. It is a great DVD. Also, I loved The Boys! I was able to see it on Demand with my cable company. I think I might buy it on DVD as well.

It is a really great documentary about Walt. I got it from Amazon several months ago for $15.99, it has gone up now, but there are some cheaper from Amazon sellers. I just ordered the companion book to the DVD, Inside the Dream, from Amazon.

I'm pretty sure it's not Walt - The Man Behind the Myth since my wife bought that DVD for me a couple of years ago and when I watched it, it didn't look like the one I'm remembering. I agree it's a wonderful DVD. Much of the interview footage is used in The Walt Disney Family Museum.

And you are correct, this documentary was the first show ABC broadcast when they returned to regular programming after the 9-11 attacks. They cut approximately five minutes out of the documentary so Michael Eisner could do a special introduction.

I don't recall anything like you are describing. Michael Eisner seemed to enjoy intros to popular movies but didn't seem to be fond of historic Disney stuff. Except after 9/11 of course when the country needed a pick me up. I just don't remember any programs on Walt that were not documentaries. May be worth asking Dave on the Disney website. If anyone would know, he would. :)

If you visit The Walt Disney Family Museum in San Francisco, it is available there. They have changed the cover so it matches the official museum book, but the DVD is the same.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter