Disney+ Discounts for Fall 2023?

ofcabbagesandkings

DIS Veteran
Any rumors about possible Disney+ discounts for DCL for Fall/Winter 2023? We took advantage of the one they had last February so our kiddos got to sail free. With the high costs of December cruises especially it would be awesome to score a deal. The Disney+ discount at WDW is tempting but we went to the parks last year and even with Tron having opened we would rather go on a cruise.

Any rumors about possible Disney+ discounts for DCL for Fall/Winter 2023? We took advantage of the one they had last February so our kiddos got to sail free. With the high costs of December cruises especially it would be awesome to score a deal. The Disney+ discount at WDW is tempting but we went to the parks last year and even with Tron having opened we would rather go on a cruise.
There will undoubtedly be GT cruises at least. Keep checking.

I hope not, it created a madness of overly full ships and a very different type of families onboard...
pirates-pirates-of-the-carribesn.gif

I hope not, it created a madness of overly full ships and a very different type of families onboard... I'd rather have plenty of GTY rates since these offer discounts at people cruising with a smaller party as well and are not generating a giant buzz...
This...my wife and I's cruise on the Fantasy in March was madness.

Do the ships not usually sail close to capacity? Definitely noticed it on Castaway Cay...had a hard time finding chairs. But the whole cruise was sort of a mess missing our port at Grand Cayman & taking 3x to dock at CC. Pool deck was slammed with 4 days at sea 😭.

Booked a placeholder but thinking I'll have it refunded with pricing for 5 in one stateroom close to 5k for 4 night sailings. That's a bit much.

Do the ships not usually sail close to capacity? Definitely noticed it on Castaway Cay...had a hard time finding chairs. But the whole cruise was sort of a mess missing our port at Grand Cayman & taking 3x to dock at CC. Pool deck was slammed with 4 days at sea 😭.

Booked a placeholder but thinking I'll have it refunded with pricing for 5 in one stateroom close to 5k for 4 night sailings. That's a bit much.
Not to capacity, no. Capacity means all of the possible guests in all of the possible rooms. Bigger families sailing vs. smaller families and more adult couples and solos sailing will generate a very different feel in crowds, even on sold-out cruises.

There are over 6,000 chairs on Castaway Cay, so there are always chairs available. Maybe not all in your most-desired area, though.

Last edited:
I hope not, it created a madness of overly full ships and a very different type of families onboard... I'd rather have plenty of GTY rates since these offer discounts at people cruising with a smaller party as well and are not generating a giant buzz...
I completely agree

I didn't think of that. The Dream in February felt unbelievably crowded with long lines for everything especially the Aquaduck and checking kids into Oceaneers and the restaurant service was so slow, plus no available lounges on CC or on deck on the sea day, etc. But I thought maybe that was just my perception with having only sailed on the Wonder previously and it being a lower capacity ship. I genuinely never want to sail one of the big ships at close to capacity again.

Filled-to-capacity ships do indeed suck, but what do you mean by “a very different type of families”?
I won't speak for the OP but I liked the post because I agreed with it in this: many of those cruises were off season which usually have fewer kids. The d+ deal was 3rd 4th guest free, which meant a lot more families pulling kids out of school in jan/feb which meant crowded and loud ships with larger families than usual for that time of year.

I won't speak for the OP but I liked the post because I agreed with it in this: many of those cruises were off season which usually have fewer kids. The d+ deal was 3rd 4th guest free, which meant a lot more families pulling kids out of school in jan/feb which meant crowded and loud ships with larger families than usual for that time of year.
Exactly plus a lot of firsttimers. Normally there is a healthy mix of returned cruisers and firsttimers, now it seemed when they asked in the theatre (I did two MDAS and one Pixar during the offer) that about 80-90% were firsttimers and it gives a very different vibe: people not knowing what they are doing, people not being familiar with cruise etiquette etc. Normally the experience of the returned cruisers kind of helps the newbies to get their stuff together but now it was just a madness. As far as lines, skipping lines, screaming all over the ship but also leaving empty cups and plates in hallways and at other places were you are not supposed to leave them I have never felt more sorry for the crew than those three cruises, especially the b2b MDAS.

Exactly plus a lot of firsttimers. Normally there is a healthy mix of returned cruisers and firsttimers, now it seemed when they asked in the theatre (I did two MDAS and one Pixar during the offer) that about 80-90% were firsttimers and it gives a very different vibe: people not knowing what they are doing, people not being familiar with cruise etiquette etc. Normally the experience of the returned cruisers kind of helps the newbies to get their stuff together but now it was just a madness. As far as lines, skipping lines, screaming all over the ship but also leaving empty cups and plates in hallways and at other places were you are not supposed to leave them I have never felt more sorry for the crew than those three cruises, especially the b2b MDAS.
So are they “a very different type of families” or families that just don’t know the ropes yet, cruising-wise? I mean, all of us were first-timers once.

I feel like you're trying to make something out of nothing.
Well, to go back to what you meme’d earlier, what is it that “everyone is thinking but not saying”?

The idea that the D+ promotion brought in new, inexperienced cruisers hardly seems like a delicate topic that one would be tight-lipped about.

Filled-to-capacity ships do indeed suck, but what do you mean by “a very different type of families”?
They obviously meant-gasp-poor people who ordinarily can’t afford a Disney cruise. The same vibe as someone staying at GF who gets irritated at the lowly masses who dare to come gawk and dine at their resort. They can say “first time cruisers” or whatever but this is what they meant and it’s gross.

Well, to go back to what you meme’d earlier, what is it that “everyone is thinking but not saying”?

The idea that the D+ promotion brought in new, inexperienced cruisers hardly seems like a delicate topic that one would be tight-lipped about.
If you've kept up with the posts about those sailings you'll see that there have been tons of posts about how loud and packed those sailings were. The gif was ironic because there has been a lot of discussion about it, ie a lot of people saying it. For example, I was on the first MDAS sailing right after new years and was surprised to find the Dream was at over 3,700 guests. I didn't think that many families would pull the kids out of school like a week after Christmas vacation. When I checked the boards when I got back, I read all the posts about how successful the d+ offer had been.

To answer your question directly, everyone was saying "larger families than usually sail on non-holiday cruises"

Last edited:
So are they “a very different type of families” or families that just don’t know the ropes yet, cruising-wise? I mean, all of us were first-timers once.
I think the comments in that arena were exaggerated, anyway. I'm Platinum but usually sail among a lot of first-timers because I'm a teacher and have to mainly sail during school holidays. Those cruises tend to have less experienced cruisers on them and a lot of kids on them. I've seen occasional annoying behaviors but nothing that would ruin a cruise. For example, on my Magic cruise last week (summer and a lot of GT rates), the family ahead of me did the "whoop whoop we're cruising" type of yelling as they walked through the plexiglass gangway to board, which I found annoying and not appropriate. But it was just one family out of many, and they didn't do it for long. Oh, well. There weren't people yelling throughout the cruise. Most people were very polite.

From what I've read here, the hardcore DCL cruisers can occasionally have their own behaviors: mobbing shops when new merch is released and being pushy during activities, etc. Some people actively avoid booking brand new itineraries and ships to avoid those types of veteran DCL cruisers.

Do all or even most experienced DCL cruisers behave that way? Of course not. Just like most new cruisers and discount cruisers don't behave badly, either.

Last edited:
They obviously meant-gasp-poor people who ordinarily can’t afford a Disney cruise. The same vibe as someone staying at GF who gets irritated at the lowly masses who dare to come gawk and dine at their resort. They can say “first time cruisers” or whatever but this is what they meant and it’s gross.
I don't put words in your mouth, please don't put them in mine.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter