Disney Dining Plan

People must eat more meals in Disney when they have the the DDP. So, for those that don't use it they should be hoping it doesn't come back so that there is more restaurant availability.

People have mentioned Free Dining. I think that is a different question. Free dining is a discount, and they don't need to discount so won't. Demand won't go down until revenge travel is over. When you add in International travelers, that won't be over until ... End of 2022? Then it will take Disney until maybe summer of 2023 to notice. So, I'd ping the over/under at Sept 2023. But I could be argued into early 2024.

Any news or rumors about the dining plan returning for the holiday season 2021?! Crossing our fingers…

A lot has reopened since the parks crawled back to life last year. And it seems to be picking up steam. There has been so much movement towards October for obvious reasons, so I wouldn't be shocked to see the DDP offered again for bookings starting around that October timeframe. It would be a nice financial boost for the start of FY2022.

I agree with @Bjkandma, though. Unless they can open all tables (or at least maybe 80%+) at the TS spots, they really shouldn't offer the DxDP. I could see them bringing back standard DDP before then, though.

DDP exists to entice guests to visit during slow times. Not really a lot of enticing needed right now!

DDP exists to entice guests to visit during slow times. Not really a lot of enticing needed right now!
It also exists for rubes like us who are so accustomed to AI resorts and cruises that we can't imagine the horror of a food bill on vacation! Especially after Disney started including booze with meal credits 🤪

Seriously, though, we always came out ahead when at least one kid was a Disney kid that could occasionally order adult meals at TS. Now that they've both aged up but still can occasionally share or might want a kids' meal, we probably have a few years before it might make sense to build a value prop spreadsheet again. We certainly spent less on food than what the DDP would have cost over Thanksgiving week last year.

Free DDP is offered to entice people during off seasons.
I love DDP. I most certainly can eat cheaper without it. But I like it! I like not having to come home to a dinner bill on my credit card and being able to to get the pricier choice instead of thinking about price each time I purchase a meal.
I actually prefer the quick service plan. I know where the good QS food is sold and I don’t have to worry about ADRs. I’ll do a nice sit down meal at least once. And if they bring back the plan In time for my Sept trip I’ll use my snack options at Food and Wine.
It may not be for everyone, but I love the dining plan and can’t wait till it’s back. As soon as anyone hears the dates it returns, please let me know!!

I think the DDP was worth it if you are going to eat at some expensive TS places or characters meals. If you are only planning on doing mostly QS meals then it's actually cheaper out of pocket then what the DDP was before it was shut down. We have no idea if or when the DDP will return and if it does what it will consist of.

I love the dining plan when it is free. We saved $1000 last time. My family loves doing the expensive character meals and family style meals. We also stay in value resorts where a room discount isn't that helpful. We're really hoping free dining returns for our August 2022 trip but understand that it may not.

I love the dining plan when it is free. We saved $1000 last time. My family loves doing the expensive character meals and family style meals. We also stay in value resorts where a room discount isn't that helpful. We're really hoping free dining returns for our August 2022 trip but understand that it may not.

There is the dining plan and there is the free dining. Free dining won't happen until they are sure that revenge travel is over. I give it a 5% change for Aug 2022.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter