• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney dining plan -- is it worth it

Finally got around to using the dining calculator and punched in every meal my family had last week. I actually saved about $200 with the dining plan so those who say you can't save money are wrong.
Nobody says you CAN'T save money. We say that the composition of your family makes a huge difference. Someone reported that the plan saved them less than $5 with 3 adults on the plan. How many children were included in your plan?

Nobody says you CAN'T save money. We say that the composition of your family makes a huge difference. Someone reported that the plan saved them less than $5 with 3 adults on the plan. How many children were included in your plan?

There was someone in this thread who was very vocal that the dining plan cost more than what you would pay out of pocket for the same meals.

My dining plan was for 4 adults and 1 child.

If you're familiar with Disney restaurants, you'll know that table service meals for one person can run between $40 and $45, a quick service can run between $15 and $20 (if you tend to order the more expensive items and get a soda and dessert). Snacks can run around $5 (or more if you hit Starbucks a lot like my family did). Add in tax and it's not hard to see the cost of the basic dining plan can be less than the actual cost of the meals if you tend to order the more expensive items (steaks and seafood versus sandwiches and pasta) with sodas and desserts.

Another nice aspect of the dining plan is that you can pay for it with discounted Disney gift cards which can be bought for roughly 10% off. You can use gift cards for OOP too but since you don't know your exact budget you have to be careful to not over buy gift cards which can't be returned. I realize that I would have spent less OOP but that would only be because we would eat less food and cheaper entrees.

Another nice aspect of the dining plan is that you can pay for it with discounted Disney gift cards which can be bought for roughly 10% off. You can use gift cards for OOP too but since you don't know your exact budget you have to be careful to not over buy gift cards which can't be returned. I realize that I would have spent less OOP but that would only be because we would eat less food and cheaper entrees.

Can you tell me where you buy discounted gift cards? I just posted a thread about the fact that I thought Target's Red Card discount applied to gift cards, thus saving 5% by buying those in advance of my trip. . . . However I learned today that there's not discount applied on gift cards, so I had gone through extra steps there for nothing (doh! On me for not checking ahead of time! :thumbsup2) it's still a good idea, but I don't know where else you can actually get gift cards at a discount.

Can you tell me where you buy discounted gift cards? I just posted a thread about the fact that I thought Target's Red Card discount applied to gift cards, thus saving 5% by buying those in advance of my trip. . . . However I learned today that there's not discount applied on gift cards, so I had gone through extra steps there for nothing (doh! On me for not checking ahead of time! :thumbsup2) it's still a good idea, but I don't know where else you can actually get gift cards at a discount.

Unless Target's policy has changed very recently, you can get a Red Card discount in store with Disney gift cards. I did this just a few months ago. I just checked the website and if you have your Red Card linked to your online account, you still get a 5% discount there, even if paying with other methods. Sam's Club online (not sold in-store) also sells Disney gift cards and just a hair under 5%. If you are not a member, I've seen promotions recently for free 60-day memberships. You can save additional money by purchasing discounted Target or Sams/Walmart gift cards to use for purchasing your Disney cards. Check Giftcardgranny.com for the best discounts on 2nd hand cards and avoid using Raise unless you don't mind additional risk of zero-balance cards. I think the typical discount for Target and Walmart/Sams is around 5% right now. Sometimes Target will go higher, I bought a bunch when they were around 7% off. While the discount at Sam's isn't exactly 5% like Target, it's easier to buy in bulk since Target.com limits your order size. Entering gift cards into Disney's website to pay for your package is very cumbersome. I found it quicker to open a tab for each gift card so I could enter a card and go on to the next tab while the previous one was still processing. I must have entered about 70 gift cards into the Disney site but it wasn't too bad once I got a routine and into a groove. Make sure you don't over buy cards, Target doesn't allow them to be returned. Sams has an internal policy of not accepting gift card returns but since it's not posted online where I could see it I was able to talk them into accepting some that I had overbought.

Unless Target's policy has changed very recently, you can get a Red Card discount in store with Disney gift cards. I did this just a few months ago. I just checked the website and if you have your Red Card linked to your online account, you still get a 5% discount there, even if paying with other methods. Sam's Club online (not sold in-store) also sells Disney gift cards and just a hair under 5%. If you are not a member, I've seen promotions recently for free 60-day memberships. You can save additional money by purchasing discounted Target or Sams/Walmart gift cards to use for purchasing your Disney cards. Check Giftcardgranny.com for the best discounts on 2nd hand cards and avoid using Raise unless you don't mind additional risk of zero-balance cards. I think the typical discount for Target and Walmart/Sams is around 5% right now. Sometimes Target will go higher, I bought a bunch when they were around 7% off. While the discount at Sam's isn't exactly 5% like Target, it's easier to buy in bulk since Target.com limits your order size. Entering gift cards into Disney's website to pay for your package is very cumbersome. I found it quicker to open a tab for each gift card so I could enter a card and go on to the next tab while the previous one was still processing. I must have entered about 70 gift cards into the Disney site but it wasn't too bad once I got a routine and into a groove. Make sure you don't over buy cards, Target doesn't allow them to be returned. Sams has an internal policy of not accepting gift card returns but since it's not posted online where I could see it I was able to talk them into accepting some that I had overbought.
One more important note. Do not throw your redeemed Disney gift cards away. Should you need to cancel your Disney package, Disney will probably want to put the balance back on the gift cards. I did take gift cards to apply to my magic band while on-site to pay for restaurant tips and souvenirs. I later discovered where Disney had overcharged my package. When I asked for a refund they wanted to apply it to the most recent gift cards I has used onsite (and thrown away). Since I had thrown away the most recent cards used, Disney agreed to refund me the few hundred dollars to my Mastercard, I'm not sure they would do that for thousands of dollars. Something to consider if you think there is a possibility you might need to cancel your Disney trip.

I will be travelling to WDW with my DD13 and myself. We will have the DlxDP because it really works for us to have that break in the restaurants from the heat and hustle of WDW (priceless). I find we do very well with the DlxDP pricewise as we do all TS restaurants and at least one Dinner Show. Our struggle was the opposite of many, my DD13 has never eaten the typical child foods (she eats what adults eat, it's how she was raised)...it was always a battle finding food options on the kids DP options. We still are able to "share" what we get for food and desserts just like anyone paying OOP and I never feel we don't have a wide array of restaurant choices or a lack of flexibility. I just prefer having it all taken care of before we go...it's like trip insurance...no worries because you know it will be there waiting for you. I don't care if I "maximize" the DlxDP...I don't care if I use the snack credit on an expensive item (most times I get water)...I just want to get what I want while on vacation. It's simply not about breaking even or coming out ahead...it's about having an enjoyable time and not worrying if I budgeted enough (year before last, we budgeted over $1000.00 for 3 people, 5 days, scoured menus for pricing and painstakingly figured out the scenarios...myself, Mom and DD11 at the time...it was NOT enough). I promptly went back to the DlxDP and have not looked back!!!

Cooking on vacation is not my style, for some people it's just fine and that's ok with me. I would rather scrimp and save to vacation in the style I prefer (which is not for everyone)...and that will always include a DlxDP. Just to clarify, I have cooked, cleaned and done laundry on vacations...it's just not what I want to be doing on my vacation...to each his/her own.

Your choice has to fit YOUR life and everyone else can do what suits their lives/families/budgets/vacation styles. :-)

On my last trip I did use Gift Cards (from Target) to pay for tips and extras. I loved having them and not worrying about carrying cash around everywhere! It was convenient and I did get the 5% with Target so it was extra savings!

I did my calculations based on the menu prices just to see and based on how we eat, OOP will be cheaper. We don't do character meals though and rarely use the mugs so I wouldn't purchase anyway.

I plan on having breakfast in the villa a few times since I enjoy making breakfast for the whole family while we are together. This saves us time since I am always up and ready first and can whip up something quickly while everyone is getting ready. Has nothing to do with avoiding paying for meals.

Different things work for different families and touring styles, there isn't a right or wrong answer.

Finally got around to using the dining calculator and punched in every meal my family had last week. I actually saved about $200 with the dining plan so those who say you can't save money are wrong.

It appears the calculator estimates meal prices on the low side. For some of my restaurants it was right on, for others is was on the low side by 20% so if you tend to order the more expensive entrees while on the plan, you'll save more than the calculator estimates. Also, the calculator appears to estimate snacks at around $4 which is lower than what my family did with all of our trips to Starbucks to use snack credits. It doesn't appear to include the refillable mugs which we would have bought if OOP.

If you have the Southwest Rapid Rewards Visa, you can buy the Disney gift cards at a discount through Sam's Club (also seem to be 5% off) and right now they are 3pts/$1 on the Rapid Rewards shopping portal. So you'd get them discounted, plus get extra points for miles.

This could help build a lot of points towards airfare!

Last edited:
Unless you are getting "freeish" dinning, most visitors don't break even.

Im a sucker for freeish dinning plan, and normally upgrade to deluxe, have a ton of left over credits, etc.

So this next trip unless they offer freeish dinning lol I have discount disney gc for all our dinning desires.

I love the almost everything pre paid part of the plan, thats why Im trying the gc way for the price of dinning plan plus 20% for tips.

We have always used the dining plan first time was free back when it included apps and gratuity. HOOK. After that we upgraded to dxdp and that has worked well for the last 10 trips. This next trip is a split stay 5nts BCV then 4 nt BLT. We got dxdp for the first 5 nights and no plan at BLT. We have $1200 in Disney gift cards for the last 4 nights. This is a test to see if we can go without dxdp, as 1 granddaughter becomes Disney adult after this trip and that would be foolish to spend $105 a day for her. I think I will miss it but we'll see, maybe I will be pleasantly surprised.

We are doing the standard plan this trip (2 adults & DGD9). I have figured we will come out even or maybe a smige ahead if we choose more expensive snacks. I did it more for the peace of mind that meals are paid for and we are doing several character meals. I'm hoping it keeps DH from fussing about the cost, although I know just the tips will provide sticker shock for him. :earboy2:

According to the DDP calculator, the plan would save us $106 and some change. That's worth it to me..especially having all meals pre-paid.

But, I completely understand it isn't worth it for everyone.

I bought discounted Target gift cards at Raise.com, then used them to buy Disney Gift cards at Target.com with the 5% off for having my red card registered there. Total, I made a 10-12% return on each card, plus the cash back from my credit card. I then consolidated the cards into a Disney Vacation Account, which has earned me another $20 for every $1000 spent. All that to pay for my package, which included the deluxe dining plan, which with 5 in a single room (2 Adults, 3 kids) and 1-2 character meals per day, will save us a bunch more.

I think it depends on the size of your family or members attending. When my sons were younger I used to get the free dining promo for many Septembers in a row. With the four of us together the food bills would come to 300 or 400 dollars per meal, so the free dining actually helped. Now mind you this was back in the day where the values used to get the regular plan, not just the quick service one. If hubby and I are the only ones going, or perhaps I am traveling solo it is not worth it to me. I would much rather get a room discount.

Thank You! Sometimes I feel like I am taking crazy pills (or that everyone else is) when I see 99% of people talking about getting the dining plan and how they think they are saving money. I understand different people want different things. But if you really want to eat at an expensive TS restaurant every single day, you're probably not that worried about the minimal amount you MIGHT save if you order expensive enough food. For the people who get the Deluxe DP, I honestly don't understand how they even have enough time or stomach to eat that much. And if you get the QS plan, you are paying 20 dollars per meal PER DAY. I don't think I spend 20 dollars on a QS meal ONCE on my last trip.

It's your money to spend however you want, but it just really baffles me how everyone just assumes it's a great deal. There is a reason Disney offers it, and it's because they are making bank by doing so. But what really irks me is when people make a post asking how to save the most money or have a do a Disney vacation on a budget, and every time without fail, people tell them they should get the DDP! I want to pull my hair out.

lol I feel your hair pulling pain... but really I love the idea of the deluxe dinning plan. Yes I have been tricked or sucked into the "freeish" offer and then normally upgrade to Deluxe. hehe

I get the point where people keep saying I cant feed my family of 4 on the 25% discount versus the "freeish" dinning.

I think it really all boils down to how and what people want to order... Lets say I'm just ordering what I want, no extras just to full my hunger, then yes the dinning plan isnt worth it, total waste. But if you sit down and order what is included on the dinning plan and have no plans of eating everything just tasting little here and there and dont really care if your wasting food etc then it can be worth it, for the experience.

I try to look at the masses getting the dinning plan as an experience, most people wouldn't normally eat this way, like cruise ship, buffet eating.

We have always used the dining plan first time was free back when it included apps and gratuity. HOOK. After that we upgraded to dxdp and that has worked well for the last 10 trips. This next trip is a split stay 5nts BCV then 4 nt BLT. We got dxdp for the first 5 nights and no plan at BLT. We have $1200 in Disney gift cards for the last 4 nights. This is a test to see if we can go without dxdp, as 1 granddaughter becomes Disney adult after this trip and that would be foolish to spend $105 a day for her. I think I will miss it but we'll see, maybe I will be pleasantly surprised.

good luck that dxdp is very addictive, when we don't have it I'm like I want it so bad.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter