Disney Dining Plan Going Downhill? Your Thoughts???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find it "extremely" hard as you may...but that is our average. A prime example is Chilis where we get chips/salsa. 3 entrees and 3 sodas/tea. Our eating styles must be lightyears different. We opt for lighter entrees as we become stuffed easily, but those are chicken meals, fajitas, burgers, etc. and moreso, on vacation this leaves us extra room for a desert at EPCOT, Ghiradelli or just a passing Mickey Bar!!!:yay:

Ok. We eat at Chilis as well. We order their to-go. There's just no way that can work.

From their online menu:

1 Chicken Fajita- $12. 29
1 Applewood Burger- $9.69
1 Margarita Chicken- $10.59
1 Chips and Salsa- $2.99
3 sodas or teas-$2.50 each, $7.50

Just the food comes to $43 and change. No tax, no gratuity. It's just not possible. Sorry!

I've heard rumours a while ago that Disney was wanting to move to an all inclusive model at WDW. From a management perspective, having all park restaurants and snack carts only accept dinning credits is very attractive. The idea is that everybody who isn't on a dinning plan would buy dinning credits at select locations (Guest Services, ticket booths, in park stations). Prices would be removed from the menus.

Disney benefits (to them) include less locations handling cash (thus reducing cashier errors / theft, less tills to count which means reduced operating costs), less credit/debit card transactions and locations (reduced fees paid to the processor), customers are less likely to leave to eat if they have unused credits, and unused credits equal free money.

---Edit----

Also, without menu prices customers are more likely to order what they really want, versus trying to maximise their used credit. Thus, costing Disney less money.

JMO, I don't think Disney would do this because of the large amounts of local visitors and CM visitors. Secondly, Disney would never do a true all inclusive because that would include alcohol, which Disney would never do.

Ok. We eat at Chilis as well. We order their to-go. There's just no way that can work.

From their online menu:

1 Chips and Salsa- $2.99

Just the food comes to $43 and change. No tax, no gratuity. It's just not possible. Sorry!

Listen....it was just an example. We on AVERAGE as a family spend about $40 when we go out to eat, we are light eaters, we don't order alcoholic drinks, sometimes we split entrees, sometimes we order appetizers as our meal. Our teenager is a girl, who eats like a bird, not a teenage boy with a bottomless pit of a stomach. Next time I will be sure to post down to the last cent what we spend on dinner :mad:

From their online menu:

1 Chips and Salsa- $2.99

Why are you arguing about this? Does it really matter to you if he is telling the truth or not?:confused3

Kristine

Arguing over how much it costs to eat out at home hasn't got anything to do with the state of Disney dining or the Disney dining plan in general - this thread has been under the radar for awhile but it's starting to emerge. Please keep to the topic of Disney dining.

Why are you arguing about this? Does it really matter to you if he is telling the truth or not?:confused3

Kristine

I just don't think it's particularly helpful to post a detailed budget of your trip to show people what a great value it is to rent a car and eat off-site at chain restaurants, when you are not accurately depicting the prices, taxes and gratuities involved. It really does not matter actually! Just trying to make a point :thumbsup2

We have done the DDP since 2005 and have indeed found the food (and merchandise among other things) to have declined, but we don't attribute it to the DDP. We attribute it to the struggling economy, and to people wanting to spend as little as possible on meals. We continue to do the DDP (this time the DxDDP actually!) because it's a great value for us. Everyone's idea of "value" and "vacation" are very different. I find value in the ease and convenience of the DDP. I don't find value in driving off-site on my WDW vacation and eating at places I can eat at every day back home. To each her own! :goodvibes:goodvibes:goodvibes:goodvibes

We have done the DDP since 2005 and have indeed found the food (and merchandise among other things) to have declined, but we don't attribute it to the DDP. We attribute it to the struggling economy, and to people wanting to spend as little as possible on meals. We continue to do the DDP (this time the DxDDP actually!) because it's a great value for us. Everyone's idea of "value" and "vacation" are very different. I find value in the ease and convenience of the DDP. I don't find value in driving off-site on my WDW vacation and eating at places I can eat at every day back home. To each her own! :goodvibes:goodvibes:goodvibes:goodvibes

That's a shame that it's been going downhill. This is our first time at Disney and we'll be doing the DxDDP and have booked at a bunch of restaurants that would be out of our budget normally.

Is the steak at Yatchman's steakhouse really worth $45, and is the Maine Lobster at Narcoosee's worth the $58 price tag? We don't know, but under the DxDDP we're willing to find out!

Le Cellier looks the best bang for the buck, but reservations are hard to get. We'll take whatever's available. And while I may be tempted to order the most expensive items on each restaurant's menu to get my money's worth, I don't think I could eat steak EVERY night! :)

princessallegra;36273871Everyone's idea of "value" and "vacation" are very different. I find value in the ease and convenience of the DDP. I don't find value in driving off-site on my WDW vacation and eating at places I can eat at every day back home. To each her own! :goodvibes:goodvibes:goodvibes:goodvibes[/QUOTE said:
That's the beauty of the thread here. Everyone vacations differently. We love to experience all that the WDW Resort has to offer along with the freedoms to come and go. We do visit our home favorites (Olive Garden, Chilis) because we may crave that food, but we also like the local eating establishments specific to the WDW resort area (Orlando Ale House is a favorite). Because we vacation with family, we use our DVC & my sisters DVC, combine points for a large unit and many times enjoy our family dinners there too, since there are miles between us throughout the year. Our family does not eat enough to justify the DDP. We eat smaller meals all the time. It's neat to see that we are all different!:banana:

ya it's not as good as you think. while our min wage may be 10 buck an hour we also pay more for stuff like gas, transportation, houses (4-500,000 average price in Toronto)

but we do have good medical :)

I agree in the UK at the moment petrol has just gone up to £120.9 per litre!!!!!!!!!!!!!! As for the dining plan if its just the dining plan that is causing the problem why the standardisation of the cocktails in the bars? its not like you can get them on the dining plan.

when ordering an appetizer, especially @ WDW, i never finalize my entree or dessert until the appetizer appears...usually to great rolling of server's eyes...so sad too bad:rolleyes1. We don't 'linger' but i do expect to receive a full hour to take a break & enjoy my meal.

We did this yesterday at Chilis. We ordered Chips/Salsa with DW all you can eat soup and salad and I ordered a half order of Texas cheese fries with my feature entree. We received the appetizers and then ordered our main entrees be delivered. We are not normal appetizer folks, but this worked great and all 3 of us for $34.20 and we gave the waiter a $5.80 tip for outstanding service!!! A bit more food than what we are used to, so maybe next time we cut to one appetizer. All of that food well within our average spending. Thanks for that tip, we will be using that in the future!!!

I think the standard drink menus are an extension of all of this "bulk" food prep philosophy. I think the DDP was the first big step in that direction. However, I do want to point out that many signature restaurants have additional drinks on their menus- Jiko (and Boma for that matter, which isn't sig. ) has African beers and wines, Artist Point has a "Washington Apple" and many other drinks, "Wilderness Coffee" etc. and if you love a particular drink, many restaurants will accommodate you. That's one thing that keeps me eating on Disney property even though some of the uniqueness has been lost by the management- many Cast Members still add uniqueness all on their own- a favorite waiter at Boma bringing me a special dessert from the back or the bartender at Wilderness Lodge mixing me a hot chocolate with amaretto or the waitress at Prime Time making me a special milkshake with mint chocolate chip ice cream and creme de menthe even though they stopped making that "Grasshopper" adult shake years ago. Although some things are worse (the 'Ohana menu for me) I love the fact that many of my retro favorites can still be had just by asking a nice cast member who remembers.

J

So, for us, we've eaten pretty much everywhere, including most Signatures, and we have seen a decline in food and service over the last few years, since the inception of the DP. There are some other variables that do come into play, like food and labour costs (don't get my dad started as minimum wage here in our province just went up last week to 10.25/hour, plus tips), but for the most part, Disney has to be making great profits in the Food Services Dept. The DP was probably their best idea in terms of maximizing profits, as it keeps their restaurants full, pretty much all year.

Tiger

I served in a very nice fine dinning restaurant in NY for over a year. Minimum wage for servers that work on tips was $4.65+tips. Maybe your dad should open a restaurant here... or maybe i should get a waiting job there!!

I just don't think it's particularly helpful to post a detailed budget of your trip to show people what a great value it is to rent a car and eat off-site at chain restaurants, when you are not accurately depicting the prices, taxes and gratuities involved. It really does not matter actually! Just trying to make a point :thumbsup2

I wasn't the original poster about eating off property. But as an example, at a chain restaurant in NYC (Queens), my DH & I can share 3 appetizers with soft drinks which is plenty for dinner that would cost about $20-25 including tip (at $25 it would be a very very generous tip). So it is quite possible they are accurately depicting their expenses.

That's a shame that it's been going downhill. This is our first time at Disney and we'll be doing the DxDDP and have booked at a bunch of restaurants that would be out of our budget normally.

Is the steak at Yatchman's steakhouse really worth $45, and is the Maine Lobster at Narcoosee's worth the $58 price tag? We don't know, but under the DxDDP we're willing to find out!

Le Cellier looks the best bang for the buck, but reservations are hard to get. We'll take whatever's available. And while I may be tempted to order the most expensive items on each restaurant's menu to get my money's worth, I don't think I could eat steak EVERY night! :)

Congrats on your fist trip to Disney!!! How exciting!! I don't think you should worry at all about the quality of the food at the Signatures at all (ex Yachtsman Steakhouse). We are also doing the DxDP this trip, and we are super excited about it! Even though certain things have declined in quality, Disney still has great restaurants and the food is still good at most places IMO. We're excited to try Yachtsman Steakhouse for the first time as well this trip. Le Cellier was not on the same level of a signature. Sure the filet is good, but it's not anything you couldn't get at an Outback Steakhouse (which I personally LOVE, but let's be real it's not fine dining). I would try to get a res there if you want to try it, but I wouldn't stress it if it doesn't work out. If you can, try California Grill. We love it, and are eating there for our anniversary. We're also doing Artist Point at WL again (they have a great filet), as well as trying Narcoossee's and Jiko for the first time! Good luck with your planning and have a great trip!!! :goodvibes:goodvibes:goodvibes

Most of the complaints about the dining plan concern the limited choices at TS not the quality. I think there are lots of choices, but I'm a meat and taters type. Since long before the DDP I've eaten at Biergarten, Rose & Crown, and PTC and have seen no decline at these. I like Le Cel better each time I eat there. I've tried many new to me places and have loved most of them. I can go to WDW, get the DDP, and have ribs or steak at nearly every meal, although My fave is pot roast at PTC,

I have nothing to compare it to, but we spent a week on the DDP in November and thought all the food was good. Some places were better than others, but I wouldn't consider any of the food we tried to be bad.

We have been mostly very satisfied with the DDP although to be honest, we haven't paid for it. :teeth:

My biggest complaints with Disney Dining in general are:

1. Instant Nescafe coffee

2. Disintegrating hamburger buns

3. No prime rib on the buffets (Last trip was the only time we experienced this.)

Other than these issues, it's all good. :)

We have been mostly very satisfied with the DDP although to be honest, we haven't paid for it. :teeth:

3. No prime rib on the buffets (Last trip was the only time we experienced this.)

I think they might have changed the coffee? We don't really drink coffee, so not sure based on experience, but thought I read here that WDW had slightly improved the coffee?

Tiger

What buffets?
We ate dinner at Boma and Crystal Palace in December and there was prime rib at both places. We also ate dinner at CM, but I don't think there was any there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter