Disney dining ... let's work on them

crisi said:
And if you have money left for souvieniers, you have money to eat without a discount.

I never said I didn't HAVE money. The question is just how I choose to spend it.

:confused3

Am I being overly sensitive, or are some of these posts a bit unfriendly?

A couple of people have mentioned changes they would like to see. ALL I'm saying is why not let Disney know if you're not happy? They will make the decisions on what is smart business for them, but if nobody tells them what the customer wants, then they base their decisions on invalid assumptions.

I'm not even suggesting that you should agree with my opinions and I certainly respect yours.

:flower: Sheila

Sheila--PM isn't owned by Disney and I don't think they liked being paid a fraction of what the meals were costing them. There is a thread on the budget board listing where you can still buy Q&C vouchers. I think they cost around $15 and might still save a few dollars at PM. Send me a PM if you need the link or other informtion.

If they make all the discount programs available to everyone why don't they just lower the price and get rid of the all the paperwork? ;)

I'm sure MYW Dining was priced based on the way guests normally order. Sounds like more guests are going to more expensive restaurants, ordering more expensive entrées and are ordering everything that's included. Makes sense to me.

I wonder how MYW Dining will change next year. There have been a lot of posts saying the tip will go up next year. I wonder if the price will go up or if some restaurants will start offering a special price fixed menu for MYW Dining guests.

Q&C vouchers still exist. They're being marketed to groups like corporations that have a Disney outing and want to give their employees a meal in addition to the park tickets. Disney isn't selling them through places like Connections to guests who are using them as a vehicle to get a lot more food than the dollar value of the voucher.

Never hurts to contact Disney and ask about offering some types of discounts. A few years ago the dining plan was just a discount. It was something like $20 bought you $25 worth of food.

The plan won't last very long if too many people use a $10 daily child's meal plan to buy a $50 adult TS meal. The "value" of the TS meal is around $25, $20 or less after you back out tax and tip. There has to be a limit to how long Disney will be giving out $50 TS meals for $20.

I'm using MYW Dining in August. I'm glad I'll be using it before any cutbacks.

We at AP holders and always stay onsite, but can't te the MYW Dining plan (which we'd LOVE to do) because we book room only (with the Ap's of course) and not a package. That's the change I'd like to see with MYW. I'd get it in a heartbeat. We are grateful for the DDE. Every little bit helps!

I am not being rude by saying this but I think WDW is a heck of a deal for your money. You get so much compared to any other park in the US. We are family of 6 which consist of 2 sets of twins. I know the cost of rooms at Disney and actually anywhere else we would stay so I looked at Fort Wilderness for our first trip. We were going to tent camp but we ended up buying a used RV and so that is the way we go now! Our stay is $37/night (last year $29/night) and we are just a boat ride from MK! The kids have so many activities to do and they are not cooped up in a room while we get ready.

I booked through AAA for 10 nights plus a 3 night connecting reservation. My total cost for 6 of us including the dining plan for 10 nights, tickets and room is about $2500. We are going to share some of our meal credits with my parents and the rest of our meals will be at the campsite. I would not want to stay off site with 4 young children. Anyway, were else could you go for almost 2 weeks for around $2500 for 6 people! With a large family you just have to become imaginative.

I think the MYW is alot better than the vouchers (which I bought last year). I will enjoy not having to think too hard about what we are ordering. I, being the mom, will have an even better vacation! I do understand their marketing though and really don't have too many complaints. Eating out at home cost me a bundle too.

I guess what I am saying, JMHO, is that I don't think what they are doing is a bad thing with the meal plan.

What I have just heard, as someone who has a bit of Disney stock, is "lets just reduce the value of crisi's stock so I can have the Disney vacation I desire without spending the amount of money that costs me (although I can afford it)." Yeah, maybe I'm a little touchy when you want to take money out of my pocket. Sorry if I come off as unfriendly.

Now, you can argue that Disney would increase their profit by selling on the margin, but I'm telling you that I don't believe there is any unused margin in their restaurants currently, and they are running on the downside of their profit curve, and that - IMHO - they need to, in fact, raise the price of the MYW program to get back to maximizing profits - as a shareholder I'm very interested in their earnings per share. (As a Disney guest, bring on the discounts that apply to me). And you can tell me that a discount will leave money to spend in gift shops, and I'm saying I don't buy that people who need the discount to dine at Disney will spend the money they save on t-shirts. You could be right and I could be wrong.

They do need to take into account what the customer wants. I'd like free vacations. Obviously, they need to weight what the customer wants against "is it good business to give that to them?" I think Disney is well aware customers would like more discounts (who wouldn't?). So I don't think there are any invalid assumptions going on.

Feel free to write Disney and suggest this. But it has impact beyond you.

But being an AP holder you get a discount on tickets (depending on how many times you use the tickets) and a discount on rooms (unless you chose not to use that?).. So it really does make up for the fact that you can't use the dining plan. I've seen some great AP room rates thrown around these boards. People who buy packages with tickets from disney don't get great room rates, which means they're paying more for that, as people who buy APS have to pay a bit more for meals. There is also the DDE for AP holders, which I know has already been discussed, but still helps with savings as people have shown via other posts on these boards.

tricia.

crisi said:
They do need to take into account what the customer wants. I'd like free vacations. Obviously, they need to weight what the customer wants against "is it good business to give that to them?"

Finally something we agree on.

Just remember, this is the "budget" board. Not the "Disney stockholders let's maximize the profit board".

Have a nice day.

:earsgirl:

Sheila

P.S. I assure you that the stockholders got a few bucks from us in the six weeks we spent at the world last year. Just the annual passes for our six added up to a bit of change. I don't feel too badly about getting a meal discount or two.

swilshire, I personally don't think you are being overly sensitive. I too think some of the posts have been a little "unfriendly". :guilty: You have a valid point. Disney definitely needs to have more larger family accomodations than they do. Then we would be able to do the dining plan. Or like you said, at least maybe bring back the Q&C vouchers. Other places such as the onsite Universal Hotels offer far more options . We have 3 kids and we have the option of POR or deluxe. That's it. Yeah i know everyone's going to say- you had your big family so that's your problem. We have a larger family because we wanted to, Disney wasn't a consideration. I think some folks here get a little too sensitive if someone actually seems to be critisizing disney at all. I would love to see some sort of discount too. Larger families also spend more on tickets, food, souvies, etc. Just my 2cents. I'll get off my soap box now. :angel:

swilshire said:

Just remember, this is the "budget" board. Not the "Disney stockholders let's maximize the profit board".

Have a nice day.

Sheila

P.S. I assure you that the stockholders got a few bucks from us in the six weeks we spent at the world last year. Just the annual passes for our six added up to a bit of change. I don't feel too badly about getting a meal discount or two.

I know this will sound harsh, but I find it hard to feel sorry for a family that is able to spend SIX WEEKS at WDW in one year. :earseek:

I'm a single mom with one son. There's no way my small family could visit WDW that many times. Your family is very lucky.

Maybe four years from now, when my son graduates from high school, I'll be able to visit the world more often. :banana: :cheer2:

swilshire said:

Have a nice day.

Sheila

One of the ways I afford my Disney trips is to maximize the profits I make in the stock market. Your budget plan impacts my budget plan.

I guess I am a little sensitive to this topic because I hear so many quotes on how expensive WDW is and how crazy it is that we are going again.

Also, I feel like you can not get your cake and eat it too...as far as some of the cost at Disney. Everything there is pretty much top notch and that cost money!

But I do save and try to find discounts for my family of 6. I do understand most of the prices, though, as long as I am getting quality.

As far as accommodating larger families, heck, hardly any industry does that anymore! A conversion van is about all the choice you have if you want some leg room and a couple of extra seats for friends. I am use to it and I chose to have my family so I don't complain...much! :goodvibes

disneyjunkie said:
I know this will sound harsh, but I find it hard to feel sorry for a family that is able to spend SIX WEEKS at WDW in one year. :earseek: QUOTE]

The secret is staying off-site in low cost timeshares, cooking many/most of our meals, bringing groceries from home (bought on sale and with coupons) and shopping Sams Club, driving vs flying and using the annual passes. Our budget probably equaled two weeks for families that make the (certainly valid) choice to stay on-site and eat out three times a day.

Oh, and we also skip cable TV, eating out at home for the most part, movies, new cars, the list goes on. All personal choices that are right for us and maybe not you.

As I said earlier, I never meant to start any controversy. We all choose the family size, vacation choices, etc that best suit us and our family. I would never criticize those that make choices different from mine. It keeps it from being too crowded at the mini-golf course at our timeshare resort. Imagine the wait if everybody stayed there!

Vacations should be fun and I'm ready for another one. We'll be off to the Northeast in just a couple of weeks for a non-Disney vacation (also done on a budget). Hope all of you enjoy your summers and have fun planning your next Disney visit! :grouphug:

Sheila

I too agree with another poster who said that Your Bottom Lne affects my bottom line. We have also been e-mailing Disney Corporation to stop the vouchers. I for one am glad they stopped the vouchers. We have watched as people make a buffet out of the fixings bar. What did you think Disney Corporation would do after all of the complaints about using stupid refillable mugs for years and using a gallon milk jugs to fill up. Every one and every corporation makes choices and all I am asking is that Disney makes the right choice. :flower:

Geez -- lighten up everybody! All the O.P. wanted was for those that feel the same way she does about availability of dining options to send an email. At no point did she need any of you scrutinizing her choices about the number of kids she has, how often they vacation, etc. If you don't agree with her, just don't send the email! :sad2:

swilshire said:

Have a nice day.

Sheila

I don't mean to attack you but, if you can stay for 6 weeks at WDW, then why can you not get the MYW dining plan and stay onsite in the values? I know you would need 2 rooms, but they are under 100 a night. The MYW dining plan is EXTREMELY cheap. I'd bet anything Disney will raise the prices in the near future. We used to always get the silver or gold meal plans (with the old Dreammaker packages). They were a fairly good deal for famlies like ours who eat lots of sit down meals and order nice entrees, apps, etc. and they were WAY more money than the MYW dining plan.

I can understand the cost to a family of 6. We have 5 in our family and were faced with always staying in the BC, BWI, etc. for our yearly 9 day trips. We bought DVC last year because of the size of our family. We bought a BWV resale contract and now we have a kitchen, washer/dryer, and much bigger rooms. We figure it will pay for itself after about 4 trips. I know DVC isn't for everyone, but with a family of 6, it may be something you could look into. You can put 8 people in a 2 BDR villa! :)
The only downside is that we can't get the MYW dining plan as DVC members. We bought PAP's and got the DDE card and are looking forward to that %20 off. That might be something for your family to also look at. You get the 20% off at so many places. I can't see how that's not better than vouchers. :confused3
I doubt Disney will ever offer any kind of meal plan for off site guests. It is one of their big draws to get people onsite. We know people who scraped staying offsite at the kids suites in favor of the YC, JUST so they can get the MYW dining plan! I bet you there are many other families like them out there. Maybe that's why the dining plan is so cheap!!! :sunny:

Someone mentioned wanting to dine at Rainforest as one of their discount options. Do you know about the Safari club? It costs $15 to join, but they send you back $15 worth of coupons eventually. You also get %10 off your meals or a free appetizer (if you order the particular appetizer that is discounted that day).

Let's lighten up and think a little folks.... :earsboy:
In reality, the %20 discount DDE offers is not that much. It basically covers your tip. They still charge the full amount of tax too. It is SOMETHING, but when you consider the full price of being at Disney, and the joining costs, it isn't THAT much of a savings. Vouchers aren't that great of deal either. And the dining plan really only saves if you can somehow share meals (which technically you can't). Who can eat a full meal at a sit down restaurant every day? Plus, eating this much in one sitting slows you down for the whole day. It takes longer to be served all those courses, and can you really run back into a park after you've had your full sitdown meal? So people on the dinig plan are most likely spending a little less time in the parks. I'm sure Disney has this fully calculated.

Most people get excited at the idea of a discount more than the reality of it. That's why so many places offer 10% discounts...10% off of what? Don't you think that Disney and other large corporations are fully aware of the percentage of people that will get the discount, and that they raise the 'regular' prices to reflect this? It's like when the grocery store has hot dog buns on sale for $0.99 a bag...then they raise the price of hotdogs and ketchup to more than make up the difference.

Mind you, I still try to get my share of discounts, but if they didn't actually raise Disney's profits, Disney wouldn't offer them at all. If it is profitable for Disney to offer "Dining Discounts" to the general public, then they will do it. If not, then they won't. :cheer2:

I personally would prefer it if they decreased portion size and lowered meal costs a bit. That's one of the things that made the Q&C vouchers so attractive. For us, there was always enough to feed two people with one voucher. We weren't trying to cheat Disney (or their stockholders) by using them -- it was just the right amount of food and allowed us dessert which we normally would not buy.

Also, we never use the sit-down restaurants as I hate the fact that the only way you can get in is to make a PS months in advance. I'm not a good enough planner to decide "okay, three months from now I want to eat at Brown Derby on a Tuesday at 6pm". The whole reason we take vacations is to get away from rigid schedules.

NMW said:
I don't mean to attack you but, if you can stay for 6 weeks at WDW, then why can you not get the MYW dining plan and stay onsite in the values? I know you would need 2 rooms, but they are under 100 a night. :sunny:

Ummm. Let me think about that. I can get two smallish hotel rooms with modest bathrooms, or for LESS money I can stay in a 2 or 3br condo (1300 - 2000+ sf) with a sofa bed in the living room, 3 or 4 TVs (one usually a big screen and/or plasma tv), a fully equipped kitchen, a jacuzzi in the master bathroom, and a nice balcony or deck to sit on in our down time. Tough decision!

DVC is a wonderful option. I've looked at it more than once through the years and the dollars never came up right for our family, but it is a great alternative to renting hotel rooms onsite. You can also rent the points for reasonable rates if you don't want to invest the bucks to buy into the resorts.

mickeyluv'r - I've loved my Safari Club membership, even though we seldom eat at the Rain Forest now that the vouchers are gone. Got a $5 voucher from them recently when I was going to be near one of the restaurants. Bought my son a cute shirt from the clearance rack for 34 cents. (Hope we don't have any Landrys Inc stockholders here. I'll get blasted again for taking money out of their pockets.)

calypso*a*go-go brought up a big reason I liked the vouchers. I'm not one to order desserts or drinks in restaurants or to eat in sit-down restaurants. The vouchers, while probably costing us a bit more than the way we would normally eat, allowed us to sample new things. My family enjoyed this. We enjoyed sharing the meals as well, and still had leftovers sometimes.

I've been puzzling for a day or so now on how eliminating the vouchers will keep customers from abusing the fixins bars. Won't they just buy a sandwich and continue the practice? I saw one group of young seniors who brought in all their own food, ask for plates and extra cups to share the drinks they bought, and got LOTS of stuff from the fixins bars to dress the sandwiches they brought in. Now THERE is some abuse that the stockholders could object to. Yet Disney probably still made enough on the overpriced sodas they bought to at least break even.

It will be interesting to see how the Disney programs change over the next year or two. They really are brilliant marketers.

Have a great weekend all.

:umbrella:

Sheila

I certainly agree you're doing a great job stretching your families vacation dollar. Staying offsite makes sense for your family. Offering a restaurant discount targeted for people in your situation, as opposed to just lowering the prices of some meals, doesn't really make a lot of sense for Disney.

You're not going to be staying onsite. You're not going to go back to a restaurant you first went to on a discount at full price. A voucher that allows you to get food that would normally cost 2 and 3 times greater than the cost of the voucher really doesn't do anything for Disney. That was a deal that made sense for the customer but not for Disney. Disney really isn't interested in competing with Golden Corral on price.

You make a GREAT case, Disney might benefit by discounting some meals to keep offsite guests in the parks longer, just no reason to target you with a special promotion. You might look at the Trails End in FW, the AKL meal deal and Cosmic Ray's. You get good value at those locations.

You're right the voucher program has nothing to do with the "condiment buffet" mentality of some customers.

swilshire said:
I've been puzzling for a day or so now on how eliminating the vouchers will keep customers from abusing the fixins bars. Won't they just buy a sandwich and continue the practice? I saw one group of young seniors who brought in all their own food, ask for plates and extra cups to share the drinks they bought, and got LOTS of stuff from the fixins bars to dress the sandwiches they brought in. Now THERE is some abuse that the stockholders could object to. Yet Disney probably still made enough on the overpriced sodas they bought to at least break even.

It will be interesting to see how the Disney programs change over the next year or two. They really are brilliant marketers.

Have a great weekend all.

:umbrella:

Sheila

Use the discounts you are entitled to, by all means. Save money any way you can.

Here is how the MYW dining program works from Disney's point of view.

A certain number of guests use every meal from the MYW program and would have stayed onsite anyway (and would have taken their Disney trip anyway and would have eaten a lot of sit down meals). Those folks Disney loses money on, but its a loss they are willing to take for the next two groups. (And I don't think they cover costs on these people, I think they actually sell at a loss - but the plan might be priced to cover costs - they certainly lose revenue).

A certain number of guests don't use all their credits. They are having too good a time to go to dinner, don't make PSs, spend a day at Universal, whatever. Or they use their credits, but in such a way that Disney does just fine (they skip dessert and appitizer and don't order what they won't eat). That is why you need to get the plan for every person in your party for every day of your stay - they are betting many people can't eat like that for a week.

and/or

a certain number of guests wouldn't have stayed on site and/or taken a Disney trip at all without the vouchers. Disney might break even or even lose money on food, but they feel they make it up in hotel revenue/admissions/souvieniers.

The second reason is why you SHOULD take advantage of discounts. They are taking a gamble and you want to win. I don't begrudge anyone winning a wager that's been freely offered by the company (or anyone else). They were stupid enough to give you the wager (and it works because most people don't take full advantage of the deal). Go for it.

What bothers me is when people believe Disney "owes" them some sort of cheaper vacation - as if Disney has unlimited resources and can make everything cheaper without that having any impact (and it does - either on share value and earnings per share, and/or on how Disney much income Disney can spend on other things - park maintenance, new attractions, etc.). As LewisC said, targeting a discount to people in Swilshire's situation doesn't make a lot of sense (then again, extending the DDE program to AP holders the same year they added the MYW plan doesn't make great sense, the only way the DDE program makes sense (AP holders are already in the park) is if Disney is having a problem filling their restaurants. Last time I went was preMYW/AP DDE and they were having no problem filling their restaurants, so I'm lost on that one.) I'm invested in Disney in a few ways: one, I do own some shares and I'd prefer not to see their EPS hit bottom (though for me it is more of a sentimental investment, I don't expect performance out of them - Disney is a very minor part of my portfolio) and two, I want Disney parks to retain the same level of magic they've always had - and I'm worried that I've seen that slipping. I want clean parks, friendly CMs. I want well maintained parks. I want to continue to see new attractions. These things cost money, and they get that money when they charge you and I $5 for a hot dog.

You can do what Swilshire does and work the rules to get great value. But lets not pretend that the game isn't what it is.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter