Disney Develops New "Reclining Seat Rollercoaster Car"

Discussion in 'Disney Rumors and News' started by SpacePlace, Feb 22, 2013.

1. SpacePlace

SpacePlace Mouseketeer

Disney has developed a new roller coaster car to improve our ride experiences. I'm not sure if they have a specific ride/park/theme in mind for this, but please post if you have any inclination. The gist is, they put reclining chairs in the cars so that you are in a reclined position during the ride. They present the new ride technology as,

"The present invention addresses the above problems by providing a roller coaster (or coaster-type ride system) in which passenger seats in the coaster's vehicles are adapted to be articulated so as to move between a load/unload position to a ride position, which still faces forward into the direction of travel (DOT) of the vehicle but with a much different point of view (POV). More specifically, the passenger seats may have an articulable seat back that is moved by a seat positioning mechanism (or seat actuator) between a first position that may be near vertical or upright for use in loading/unloading of passengers and a second position that may be more horizontal or reclined for use in placing the passengers in a ride orientation."

http://www.google.com/patents/US20130025492?dq=ROLLER+COASTER+WITH+ARTICULABLE+SEAT+BACKS&hl=en&sa=X&ei=7DQoUfOrK-SY2wX48oCQAg&ved=0CDMQ6AEwAA

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. Q-man

Q-man DIS Veteran

A lazy boy coaster? Can't wait for the tie-ins.

4. DRDISNEYMD

DRDISNEYMD *+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+* *+*~The Snow Queen~*+* ~A gi

~OMG... another one??? This coaster looks so comfortable, lol. I think you were right SpacePlace -- this is because of Comcast! :rotfl:<j/k>

~Seriously, I really hope this is for WDW. :goodvibes

5. jimmytammy

jimmytammy <font color=purple>Swivel, it's a hard habit to br

I was thinking the same thing...like a wild ride, in the comfort of your own home:upsidedow

6. SpacePlace

SpacePlace Mouseketeer

And as long as they let me have a beer and watch the big game while they have me in that position!

7. GAN

GAN DIS Veteran

My wife's going to hate this!

8. N365PA

N365PA One little spark of inspiration

Some sort of Bobsled of Luge coaster couldbe fun with this idea. I cant for the life of me tie this in to any disney movie or attraction (other than the Matterhorn).

Clint

9. chicagoshannon

chicagoshannon DIS Veteran

I'd hate to be in the second row if the person in the first row decides they need to recline.

10. DRDISNEYMD

DRDISNEYMD *+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+* *+*~The Snow Queen~*+* ~A gi

~LOL. :rotfl2: Hmm... I was thinking more along the lines of a "mani pedi," so let's just compromise with a Shiatsu massage! :rotfl:

~Here is an interest passage taken from the detailed description portion of the patent -- emphasis is placed solely upon the "reclining" aspect of the chair -- it can be used on an "existing" track while creating an entirely different & new thrill experience.

[​IMG]

11. Q-man

Q-man DIS Veteran

Cool Runnings(Jamaican bobsled team) is an early 90's Disney movie. Can't wait for the Reggae theme.

12. WizardLarz

WizardLarz DIS Veteran

Make these for Space Mountain, Please!

13. DanBoris

DanBoris DIS Veteran

The patent actually talks about this in the context of a way to "refresh" an existing coaster to make it a fresh experience for riders. Space Mountain would be a perfect use for this since there is not much to see anyway when you are riding it so the reclining position would work well.

Of course just because there is a patent, doesn't mean there are any actual plans to use the idea.

14. WDWChloe

WDWChloe WDW Annual Passholder

... Monster's Inc. Coaster ... anyone? :rotfl2:

15. TheRustyScupper

TheRustyScupper Good Sailing Master. Average Banjo Picker.

1) When I consulted at Arrow Dynamics, they were working on this. *
    2) When they went bankrupt, S&S bought them.
    3) I wonder if they dropped the idea, or Disney bought it?

* Arrow Dynamics designed and built coasters. I worked on coasters
    for Cedar Point, Knotts Berry Farm and Six Flags. In fact, Arrow built the
    DLR Matterhorn ride
    !

16. elaine amj

elaine amj DIS Veteran

I like the idea of something that feel substantially more thrilling without actually being too scary for the non-thrill riders amongst us. Wonder if it will affect those who deal with motion sickness (like my DH).

Sounds like costs would be lowered too if they could get away with a shorter track.

17. SpacePlace

SpacePlace Mouseketeer

That is awesome. AD was a key player in making DL a success. Did you know Karl Bacon or Ed Morgan?

AD worked with Walt and ride designers like Bob Gurr to help develop rides like Mad Tea Party, King Arthur Carrousel, Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, Casey Jr. Circus Train, Snow White's Scary Adventure, Dumbo the Flying Elephant, Autopia, Alice in Wonderland, Matterhorn Bobsleds, It's a Small World, Pirates of the Caribbean, Adventure Thru Inner Space, Haunted Mansion, and more. I know that you know all this but I just have to say it on the board in case anyone else doesn't because if you don't know the DL-AD history, it is awesome and you have to read the book "Roller Coasters, Flumes and Flying Saucers."

It's interesting that AD was briefly working on this ride technology. It seems like this patent application that Disney has filed for is not that unique.

18. Chuckers

Chuckers Missing my day trips to Disneyland :(

The first 'flying' coasters worked on this premise.. you sat in the seat, then the whole seat lowered backwards and locked in place. The track was under your back and when you got to the top of the lift hill, the cars flipped over and you rode facing the ground.

A few still operate like that, but most switched to lifting the seat up to the track now.

19. AdamRos19

AdamRos19 Earning My Ears

It seemed to me as more of a load and unload fix by getting the harnesses out of the way while people enter and exit.mthink how difficult it is for bigger people to get into and out of Rock'n.

I can see it now as a manually controlled actuator haha think of the airlines "we ask that you please return your seat to its upright position."

On a serious note space would really benefit in a reclined position. I fear for my skull at times and hope to exit the ride with both hands.