• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney Destinations Email - Emails compromised

This was the biggest pain in the butt:headache: I started getting this emails from all kinds of places. Before I had seen on various message boards that it was happening to a lot of other people, I panicked...I figured an easy thing to do to keep my email safe is maybe I'd change the password:confused3
So I did, but it didn't dawn on me that I'd have to change it on my IPhone, too..Should be simple, right? NOPE. I've go no email on my IPhone at all now, and I have to go to Apple store Thurs after work to see if they can do anything. I am not spending 2 hrs on the phone w/someone at MSN only to have them tell me they have no idea.

Got another one today from my Citibank Credit Card. The third party Epsilon that they mention had the breach must be involved with a great many companies.

Apparently Epsilon is used by a lot of different companies. I've gotten the exact same email from companies I have credit cards and accounts with. Four of them so far. Not good.

All over the news the security breach that Epislon is having with millions of emails. In Chicago paper today its said Hackers have gotten hold of millions of personal emails. Fun (not).

A good thing (okay really nothing "good" here) to remember is that while some hackers are doing it for the act of creating a worm/virus, a good majority do it just for the email addresses so they can send/sell for the money to companies who pay for them (usually legit companies selling obscure stuff we really usually would not click on) and then, seriously a good portion do it just because they can. The "I am smarter than you" group. They hit more than you will ever know because many companies never even admit to the breach.

I think that Disney Destination quick response shows the true commitment to their customers. If Disney is willing to let you know before your bank that has your most personal information, NOTE THERE THIS IS NOT ABOUT YOUR INFORMATION, IT IS ABOUT YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS, that they are a stand-up company.

To the one poster with the virus/worm who stated it started with the empty Disney Destinations email, many users here have received the same email with no consequences. You may want to think/look further into a possibility that it came from somewhere else or was in one of your other programs. It is far more likely that is the case, and you would want the real reason so that you don't do it again in the future. I totally feel for you though, we have been there before with kids. All our papers on now also saved to an external drive and scanned before opening. Yeah, that one free version DS downloaded of WORD was really re-named WORM in my household!:scared1:

So far it seems that the only info hacked were names and email addresses. No account numbers, or other more vital info.

To the one poster with the virus/worm who stated it started with the empty Disney Destinations email, many users here have received the same email with no consequences. You may want to think/look further into a possibility that it came from somewhere else or was in one of your other programs. It is far more likely that is the case, and you would want the real reason so that you don't do it again in the future. I totally feel for you though, we have been there before with kids. All our papers on now also saved to an external drive and scanned before opening. Yeah, that one free version DS downloaded of WORD was really re-named WORM in my household!:scared1:

Odds are, the virus came from the thumb drive being used at school. That's where every virus I have had on my computers have originated.

I got the Disney Destinations email, too. The email address that Disney has for me is a catch-all addy anyway, so it's already deluged with SPAM. I'll just throw the new ones I get onto my virtual pile and start a roaring virtual fire.

...Virtually...

How is one to know if they now receive a legitimate email from Disney Destinations vs a spam/phishing email? I've just been deleting emails from Disney Destinations and all the other companies involved in the breach. If I receive up-dated reservation info from Disney or special offers, I'd prefer not to miss them. Right now I have 2 separate reservations booked. Would like to put additional money down on my deposits which previously got me an updated reservation listing my balance due. How do we deal with these situations now? I'm afraid to open any emails to even determine if I think it is legit or not. I obviously wouldn't click on any links but there are times with Disney Destinations when you must do that to access info.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter