Disney Dead Zones - what areas can't you understand why Disney doesn't rehab/replace?

DHS- Its supposid to be about the movies so DO IT UP!

Add more Disney movies shows ala Beauty and the Beast!
Oz the Great and Powerful Give us a little bit of something with that.
How about a Perry/ Phineas and Ferb show/ride?

MORE STREET PERFORMERS!

More costumes. Update the Movie ride animatronics.

Magic Kingdom: I think Tomorrowland Speedway needs to be either demolished or refurbished. I know that it's important to some, I even have a picture there with my mom when I was 7. But I rode it on my last trip there and it's so terrible.
As for COP, I love it! If they added some stuff, I wouldn't be mad. But I'd definitely be sad if they removed it.

Epcot: Oh Epcot... I think everything that isn't the WS needs to either go or be updated. And they should definitely add a new country to the WS. Everything else feels outdated. I finally went on Captain EO and well.... I do love MJ but that ride needs to go. Fast.

Hollywood Studios: I love The Great Movie ride. If they added new things, I wouldn't mind. But from what I read it can't be done. I actually like the Backlot Tour, but I can see why some want it out. I don't really care for Indiana Jones, so I wouldn't be too sad to see it go. I think HS has soooo much space that could be used to spruce up the place. Add more rides, keep the street performers.

Animal Kingdom: Honestly, when DBF and I go, we ride EE, Dinosaur, and KRR (only if the line is short), and leave. This place needs a makeover, big time! I can see what they're doing with Dinoland, so I think it's cute. Is this where Avatarland supposed to be? I know I probably won't care for it much, because I hated the movie. But they definitely need to fix this place up. It's the park we usually leave for last and only go for a half day and go home.

there needs to be characters "dotted around" the parks and hotels that you can unexpectedly bump into, not just at photopass areas and characters dinners.

Posted from DISboards.com App for Android

^^THIS^^

The part of the "new" DisneyWorld I miss the most.

^^THIS^^

The part of the "new" DisneyWorld I miss the most.

I'm afraid "roving" characters will never come back- we have all been too conditioned over the years to queue up whenever we see a character. In the old days, when it wasn't such a "thing" to get all the pics, autographs, etc, it was fun to just run up to a character, hug him/her, and be done with it. Now, we all have to be so regimented about the meet & greet, the days of spontaneous interactions are long gone.

MomofKatie said:
I'm afraid "roving" characters will never come back- we have all been too conditioned over the years to queue up whenever we see a character. In the old days, when it wasn't such a "thing" to get all the pics, autographs, etc, it was fun to just run up to a character, hug him/her, and be done with it. Now, we all have to be so regimented about the meet & greet, the days of spontaneous interactions are long gone.

One of my favorite meetings was with Cinderella outside the shop next to the turnstiles between BC and the rest of Epcot last year. She was standing there under the overhang on a slightly rainy day with not one soul around except her handler. She was just standing there and was so delighted to see us...it was...weird, frankly. We had a private long audience with her. She waved and waved to us as we trudged back to BC. Doesn't happen everyday, I imagine.

One of my favorite meetings was with Cinderella outside the shop next to the turnstiles between BC and the rest of Epcot last year. She was standing there under the overhang on a slightly rainy day with not one soul around except her handler. She was just standing there and was so delighted to see us...it was...weird, frankly. We had a private long audience with her. She waved and waved to us as we trudged back to BC. Doesn't happen everyday, I imagine.

You got a nice moment! Yes, those things don't happen much anymore. In 2005, DD was 7 and still very into the Princesses and other characters. We saw Aurora near the perfume shop in France- I think there was a fountain nearby, if I remember correctly- she was all alone with her handler, too! DD had a great time with her, just hanging out and talking about her trip, etc for probably 5 minutes before anyone else came by.

Now DD is 14 , and she doesn't do meet & greets much anymore. Mostly just if she sees one of the Fab 5 and they have a short line. The autograph book stays at home, and I usually snap a cellphone pic before we move on. Mostly, she just gets a kick out of giving them a hug!

I'm not sure if this counts as a dead zone of Disney ....but my husband and I describe the Transportation and Ticket Center as the armpit of Disney.

I know it is the parking lot for MK, but it always seems deserted :confused3. And honestly, if I had to go there by myself or with my children, without my husband - I would find an alternate way of getting where I needed to go, I find it creepy. :scared1:

My husband disagrees with me, but Tom Sawyers Island needs *something*. I hated it as a child and one trip there as an adult was enough for me. I didn't see any cast members on the island :confused3:. Are they there and I missed them? Other than walking around in the woods and the playground (which I think I left before we got to) what is there to do? I have woods in my backyard and a playground too. Seating and relaxation areas would be nice. A toddler area would be great too! I remember not being able to go over to the island because we had a stroller and our infant/toddler (don't remember which trip that was) was asleep in the stroller and I wasn't waking her up. When I did go over with her (at age 20 months) there really wasn't anything for her to do .... my husband and our son walked the trails (i guess), but they were too difficult and boring for a toddler. So we sat on the dock of the closed restaurant and she ran all over the dock. Fun - NOT!

Well that is my two cents!

Absolutely. I am confused as to why they even went in this direction.:confused3 It is beneath Disney, and a huge waste of space. Seriously, it is nothing more than a hot, parking lot carnival.

Absolutely not!!!! My kids love this area and the magic of Disney although loved by all is first for the children. A greater carnival like no one has ever experienced before was the inspiration for Disney in the first place. Cheesy maybe but like I said the kids love it and to be happy watching them be happy is magical for me!!!

Now Epcot needs some work so does dhs there's so much they could do with both that it would take me all night to write about it.

Bottom line is we all have different opinions and no matter what they do someone is not going to like it so they should just do something

We want more we want more cuz we really like it

:jumping1:

Fix animatronics on CoP, seriously, dad's skin peeling away had me cringing! Put new seats and new carpet... leave the show alone!

Great Movie Ride could definitely use some upgrading, as does Spaceship Earth.

Stitch's Great Escape needs to end already.

Pleasure Island has been destroyed.:sad1: We loved the Adventures Club, and the Comedy Club as well. What a loss of fun for so many.

I was thinking the same thing. I know Disney has the family friendly thing going and all, but it was really cool to have something that was catered to the adult crowd. :confused3

First post here:

We just got back from a week stay two days ago. I read this thread title and the first thing that popped into my head was Dinoland. I agree with another poster that said an Australia area would work here. I think you can keep Dinosaur and the dig site(for Kids) as they would dovetail in with Australia. The other thing I would say is they should have done a South America or Amazon in favor of Avatar. Could put in a B&M coaster called Anaconda, this would have instantly upped their attendance. I think larger coasters is something they should consider for any future lands at DHS and AK(of course the noise might be a problem for the animals)

Magic Kingdom
I think Stitch can go in favor of something else but there might not be much room for anything much there. For the most part I like this park as is, I wouldn't touch the Treehouse. as an aside, we loved the Pirate Treasure Hunt in Adverntureland(much better than the agent P). It was a good way to see parts of Adverntureland that we might not normally go to. I think they should consider putting something similar in Liberty Square and Fantasyland

Epcot
Definitely think they can revamp Future World. I like the Seas and the Land as they are but there is alot of wasted space. I also think they could add more countries to World Showcase(Australia(fits in with an Australia land at AK), India, Switzerland. I like Maelstrom but the movie could be updated at the end. We skip it now so it might have been updated for all I know.

DHS
Backlot Tour, Indiana Jones update, Sounds Dangerous. Heck the whole area between Star Tours and Toy Story Mania. I think after Fantasyland is done this will be the next major revitalization(in tandem with AvatarLand :sad2: ). Star Wars Land would obviously be perfect for that area.

KK

Just back from a week at WDW....my thoughts...

HS -- we really liked the park, even with the crowds. I'd like an update on the "movies" in the great movie ride. It would be nice if they could change out a "movie" area once a year so that every 5 years or so it would be a different ride.

Do something with the sounds dangerous area. Went one years ago and wasnt a big fan.

We do like ToT, TSM, R&R, ST and went to the stunt show for the first time and thought it was pretty fun. I wouldn't mind an updated Muppet 3D movie.

I do hope they add a Star Wars section here or elsewhere.

EPCOT -- This park needs help. There is nothing "Experimental" about this community of tomorrow. There is a lot of wasted / unused space in Future World that should be better used. Innoventions should be in a constant state of motion....the future changes, but lots of innoventions seems to have not changed much since we started going every couple of years back in 2004. The countries are fine....if they could find a way to add a couple of more to spice it up, it would be nice.

AK -- Never been a big fan and for us it's usually a 1/2 day park. I don't know what I would change -- but I'd add "something" here to make it more interesting.

MK - Looking forward to the new coaster next year and overall think this is a fun park with lots to do. You could replace certain rides or attractions but overall I do think this park is pretty much fun for all ages, depending on what you like to do.

So Disney is spending tons of money on new Fantasyland, RFID, and apparently Avatarland... and yet there sit Country Bear Jamboree and the Carrousel of Progress.

I'm a fan (sort of) of the Carrousel and I wouldn't say the Bears should be eliminated. I'm just saying, man - for all the billions dumped into the new projects, can't these attractions get a little love?

They're in primo locations in the parks (particularly the Bears) and I can't understand why it's to Disney's advantage to leave them waste away. CBJ is just sort of sad (or at least it was the last time I was there...)

So what is your Disney Dead Zone, and what would you do to fix it?

Aside from loving CBJ & CoP, I think it's important to keep these two attractions. #1 for the history, but #2 for crowd control. Having shows like this in each area of the parks allows for people to duck into there, take a break from the busier rides, etc....Shows like these were our saviors during our Christmas trip!

Personally, I think Avatarland is ridiculous. They have empty buildings in Epcot, a broken Yeti (umm, hello?? The main character of the ride & they leave him broken??), & a pathetic "Backlot Tour" in DHS. They need to fix what is broken before they blow millions of dollars into something that most likely will not be popular by the time it's done.

Hollywood Studios Backlot and Streets of America are the biggest and most noticeable in my opinion. Pretty much everything from Toy Story Mania wrapping around to Star Tours is close to empty when I go with the exception of people near Muppets.

Very interesting thread, OP. Rarely do I make it through 8 pages, reading it all, unless it's a juicy fight. :blush:

Until I read through this, I never thought about how much wasted space there really is! There are some classics that we will all always have to agree to disagree about, but on the other hand, there are some pretty universal ones mentioned time and time again throughout the thread.

I am one of those *apparently few* people who actually kinda likes Dinoland and isn't vehemently opposed to Avatarland. Not that I am such a huge Avatar fan, but I picture a world of all that glow in the dark plant and animal life and it could be awesome! Very much looking forward to a new land at DHS - I personally hope it's Star Wars!

I love the treehouse....And what exactly are you going to put in that relatively small space?

I wouldn't put anything. Disney on the other hand could probably come up with something, probably retail or food oriented.

Glad you like the Treehouse and are prepared to defend it. I feel the same way about the Country Bears. :thumbsup2

How about just not spending all that money on the planned Avatarland and then there would be plenty of money to spend on the rumored Carsland and/or Star Wars land.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter