Disney Day of Service

We , me, DH, DD7, and DD9 all did our volunteer work on Jan 4th at the American Cancer Society. Only 2 hrs of our time we put together "Relay for Life" packets, so easy. We received and printed out our vouchers on Jan 8th. We can't wait. Since we are in Florida I am thinking I will upgrade the tickets to 3 day passes with water parks and make 3 weekend trips out of it after school ends. Only 90 minutes from home. :woohoo:

We , me, DH, DD7, and DD9 all did our volunteer work on Jan 4th at the American Cancer Society. Only 2 hrs of our time we put together "Relay for Life" packets, so easy. We received and printed out our vouchers on Jan 8th. We can't wait. Since we are in Florida I am thinking I will upgrade the tickets to 3 day passes with water parks and make 3 weekend trips out of it after school ends. Only 90 minutes from home. :woohoo:

I hope we get our vouchers that quickly. :thumbsup2 I completed mine this weekend so I hope to here soemthing soone since we are heading to Disney on February 5th.

I hope we get our vouchers that quickly. :thumbsup2 I completed mine this weekend so I hope to here soemthing soone since we are heading to Disney on February 5th.

I'm sure you will .Everything seem to go pretty fast, of coarse that could be because i got in there fast, and probably one of the firsts to finish. Most things I saw in my area were jan 18th or later. I think you were in there quick enough to get a quick reply

Well, my Girls Scouts and their families all made blankets. 2 per person, we made a total of 80 blankets.
We did it all one afternoon and evening.
Joannes had the the fleece on clearance. I paid right about $3.50 a yard for some really nice, printed, kids fleece.
Total was about $340 for 80 blankets for 9 families. Right around $4.25 a blanket. I also had teacher discount of 15% off the total. So that really saved a bunch!
I delivered on Saturday and I am waiting for the vouchers. We will upgrade to the Florida play3 or 4. I don't remember which one they are doing!:cool1:

We did ours last weekend and got an email from the organizer that she sent the info to Disney. We go in March so not in to much of a hurry.

If anyone is using the tickets before March would love to hear how it goes getting the passes validated at WDW. Wondering how early we should get there and be prepared to wait in line....

Wouldn't it be wonderful if this one time inspired people to kepp volunteering? Hats off to Disney for exposing people to the needs that exist, and hopefully adding more people to the ranks of volunteers going forward.:thumbsup2

I just signed up for the Project Linus out of GA. (Thanks to the PP who gave the zip code and info!) I liked theirs better than the PL group I found in my state since the Atlanta one will accept quilted blankets and I have access to LOTS of kids quilting fabric. I signed up to send 7 blankets for me and DH plus my aunt/uncle and kids that will be traveling with us in June.

Does anyone know yet how much upgrade "credit" you get if you trade these in for a multi-day pass? Are they worth the same as buying a one-day pass at the parks? I have to decide if we'll use these as a credit for our tix (we're staying DVC, so no pkg) or if we'll use the FP offer. Good deal either way!

I signed up, myself and DH, to work at the Ronald McDonald House in one of our local hospitals. I got an email back from the director today saying that we have to apply, go thru a 2hr class, then shadow for 3 hrs and then volunteer. This is an on going volunteering. They won't do only one day to get a day, even though they are on the Disney website. We are AP holders, so we will get FP's. After talking to DH, we decided to do it. I filled out the application to volunteer for both of us and emailed them back. I am just waiting to hear if we are approved. The class is Thursday night. It will be an eye opening experience we are looking forward to. We are disapointed that our 2 DS's can't participate. Well they could if we cook a meal and take it. Wish us luck we get approved.

I dropped off our blankets today. :banana: I did have to go back onto the website and change my date of service so that I could get credit. (I thought the blankets would take longer and had a Feb. date.) Will keep you posted when I receive our vouchers.

We made blankets, sent them in on Wednesday, received our vouchers today (Monday). That was fast :)

I am making dinner for 35 at a homeless shelter. Any ideas for a quick meal that can be cooked in an hour? The organization requested no pasta and there are those who don't eat beef or pork. I am thinking chicken with a salad or steamed green beans. I'm just trying to think of a "good" chicken dish. Any ideas?

Are you planning to use chicken breasts or whole chicken? My "go-to" chicken dish for big parties is Arroz con Pollo (rice with chicken) which can be made quickly depending on what kind of chicken you're using. I usually cook the chicken and rice together, but for such a large amount, I would suggest cooking separately.

With chicken breasts or tenders, you simply saute sliced onions, bell peppers, garlic and the chicken breasts in a little bit of oil. Add chopped tomatoes, cumin, salt and pepper. Saute until chicken is cooked through. Let simmer on low - add chicken broth for moisture if necessary.

For the rice you can either use a rice cooker, or take the time to make Mexican rice. Your call.

HTH!

For those that ordered from JoAnn's website the fleece kits, how long did it take to come in? We really don't have any place local to buy from. Need to send back my email with the date I will deliver the blankets, just don't know how long to allow for the shipping. We have made the blankets before, so I know they don't take long to actually make.

I signed up, myself and DH, to work at the Ronald McDonald House in one of our local hospitals. I got an email back from the director today saying that we have to apply, go thru a 2hr class, then shadow for 3 hrs and then volunteer. This is an on going volunteering. They won't do only one day to get a day, even though they are on the Disney website. We are AP holders, so we will get FP's. After talking to DH, we decided to do it. I filled out the application to volunteer for both of us and emailed them back. I am just waiting to hear if we are approved. The class is Thursday night. It will be an eye opening experience we are looking forward to. We are disapointed that our 2 DS's can't participate. Well they could if we cook a meal and take it. Wish us luck we get approved.

That is great. Good for you guys.

Well, my Girls Scouts and their families all made blankets. 2 per person, we made a total of 80 blankets.
We did it all one afternoon and evening.
Joannes had the the fleece on clearance. I paid right about $3.50 a yard for some really nice, printed, kids fleece.
Total was about $340 for 80 blankets for 9 families. Right around $4.25 a blanket. I also had teacher discount of 15% off the total. So that really saved a bunch!
I delivered on Saturday and I am waiting for the vouchers. We will upgrade to the Florida play3 or 4. I don't remember which one they are doing!:cool1:

That is awesome! My Girl Scout troop will be turning in about 40 blankets. Some of the parents haven't decided if they will participate or not. I have a Daisy troop, so they are still working on theirs. Materials added up for us too. We used most of the troop funds for the girls (parents had to provide their own material) so hopefully they sell a lot of Girl Scout Cookies:thumbsup2 Did you deliver to Susan in Orlando?

That is awesome! My Girl Scout troop will be turning in about 40 blankets. Some of the parents haven't decided if they will participate or not. I have a Daisy troop, so they are still working on theirs. Materials added up for us too. We used most of the troop funds for the girls (parents had to provide their own material) so hopefully they sell a lot of Girl Scout Cookies:thumbsup2 Did you deliver to Susan in Orlando?

We delivered to Judy in St. Pete. The troop paid for the girls blankets and families paid for their own.
Our troop sold over 6000 boxes of cookies last year. This helps them fund their service projects and trips!

WOW!!!!!! My troop is new this year. We have 8 1st graders and 7 selling cookies. I am hoping that they all just make their goal of 50 boxes:lmao: There are a few girls that are "selling" but haven't tried to sell any yet and three have met their goal already. Any suggestions on how to sell that many? Actually I would be happy selling 1/10th of that.

I can't even imagine all the projects you girls are/could do!

WOW!!!!!! My troop is new this year. We have 8 1st graders and 7 selling cookies. I am hoping that they all just make their goal of 50 boxes:lmao: There are a few girls that are "selling" but haven't tried to sell any yet and three have met their goal already. Any suggestions on how to sell that many? Actually I would be happy selling 1/10th of that.

I can't even imagine all the projects you girls are/could do!

Well, we set a presale goal of 225 boxes a girl, than we do a LOT of cookie booths. One girl sold 1700 boxes in presale last year and wants to beat that this year. Mostly they get motivated by the prizes and we are also planning a trip to Savannah to the home of Juliette Low in June and they all want their trips paid for. My daughter sold about 600 boxes last year and this year she is trying for 1000 boxes. Her goal, not mine. Do you know what it takes to deliver that many!!:rotfl:
We also do lot's of service projects and use the money to pay for that, like all that fleece!

Our service project is underway! My DH and DD, 6.5 are organizing a canned food drive through her school. We are doing to tie it to the Feb school dance. I arranged a meeting with her principal and taught her how to prepare for the meeting my creating a notes outline, etc. She practice her "pitch" and then - on her own - decided to dress to impress..."I think I need to look professional" my sweet little 1st grader told me!

She blew the socks of the principal - it was like she has been running meetings her whole life - I was so proud of her! The principal has shared the ideas with the teacher and the PTA - almost turning her into a "rock star" in the process. I feel a little guilty about it, since we are getting something out of the deal - which I have made very clear to the principal!

The bottom line is, we are all excited about helping in our community and we are plannng to make this an annual tradition! Thanks, Disney for giving us a push in the right direction!!

PS - We will be doing the FP option - anyone actually do this yet? If so, how did it work, what were you actually given, etc?

Well, we set a presale goal of 225 boxes a girl, than we do a LOT of cookie booths. One girl sold 1700 boxes in presale last year and wants to beat that this year. Mostly they get motivated by the prizes and we are also planning a trip to Savannah to the home of Juliette Low in June and they all want their trips paid for. My daughter sold about 600 boxes last year and this year she is trying for 1000 boxes. Her goal, not mine. Do you know what it takes to deliver that many!!:rotfl:
We also do lot's of service projects and use the money to pay for that, like all that fleece!

Where is the jaw dropping smiley when you need one. I was hoping that you had an older troop, and then I saw your daughter is only 9! Way to go! My DD6 has been having fun selling (I am a little worried about her when it comes to delivering them), but I practically have to push my DD8 out the door. I am going to tell her troop leader to just sign her up for lots of booths. Our SU assigns each troop 3 booths. I need to find out how/where we can schedule some extras. We also talked about doing some red wagon sales.

If they do well enough, I would like to have them make blankets for Project Linus again. They are really excited about doing something to help other kids.

Slightly OT, but....

I didn't realize it was Girl Scout cookie time! I'm going to have to be on the look out for the little booths in front of stores since I don't actually know a Girl Scout. Thanks for the heads up! YUM!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter