• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney Cruise or Disney Resort

kanakoswoman

Earning My Ears
hi all, Planning a trip (my birthday gift) with the family (2 adults and 2 kids ( 5 & 7) and trying to decide if the cruise is the way go, or a resort at Disney???? e

They have been on a cruise to Alaska when they were much younger and they have been to Disney for their Aunt's 60th Birthday when they were younger too. But it looks like it's gonna cost about the same money either way you look at it.

Animal Kingdom looks great for them, but the cruise seems like a lot of fun too.

What do you guys suggest? This will probably be the last Disney trip, since my hubby really isn't a Disney fan or a cruise fan either. But, since it's what I asked for my birthday gift - he can't complain about it.

thanks

I would go for the cruise, no question. But I am also a Disneyland AP who cannot stand heat or long lines, so WDW sounds like torture to me. I will have to go eventually, because my husband wants to go and my kids will want to one day, too, but we're not going until we afford to tack on a cruise afterwards so I can recover.

If it's YOUR birthday, do the cruise so you can relax and be on vacation, too.

I too would choose the cruise. Both are great! But, the cruise will feel more like a vacation for you. Your kids will have an awesome time and get a lot of Disney and you'll feel pampered and have an opportunity for some adult moments!

Although I love both, I say DCL for the following reasons.

1) Fewer lines

2) Even in the cheapest room, you are pampered the entire time

3) No concern about what to eat when or the cost

4) It is possible for parents to have some grown up time. This is possible at WDW too, but not as easily and at an extra cost

In all, I just feel like I get a better chance to reconnect with my kids on DCL because I'm relaxed. At WDW I feel like I spend a lot of time trying to placate exhausted children which isn't my idea of a dream vacation.

Did you also post this question in the regular WDW area of Dis? I have a feeling you'll get a few more "pro-WDW" posts there than in the DCL forum.

To answer that, we probably need a bit more information. For example, if this trip is in late September, I would totally say WDW (shorter lines, a little cooler) than DCL (Hurricane season). If the trip is over Christmas, I would totally say DCL (no hurricanes, prob goes to warm weather) rather than WDW (crowded!, possibly too cold).

All things considered, I have been to WDW probably 25 times in my 35 years and been on zero Disney Cruises. (However, 5 cruises lifetime). I am going on first DCL trip in 75 days and am very excited. But I'm also going to WDW in 35 days.

My go-to advice remains the same: Stay at Beach Club/Yacht club if you can. The pool cannot be beat for kids that age, you are walking distance to TWO parks, and that whole Boardwalk-area probably offers more for a DH that "isn't a Disney fan."

Your kids are almost at that age where they are "too cool" for WDW. Its important to indoctrinate them early, so they have those memories of WDW from when they were young and they'll continue to love it for a lifetime.

As for going on a cruise instead, it would probably be wonderful. So would a cruise on one of those floating cities that Royal Caribbean is putting out! I cannot imagine that DCL is so far and away more magical than RCL. But I CAN say that WDW is unlike any other vacation destination in the United States...and can be awesome if planned well....

I have to agree that you will get more pro DCL opinions here as this is the DCL board and more pro WDW opinions on the WDW board.

I have always loved WDW and went every chance I could...unitil I tried DCL. I still love WDW but love DCL with a passion. I can get my Disney "fix" in an elegant yet casual style and have all my food taken care of, not think of scrambling to make my nightly dinner reservations, seeing all the characters, visting different ports, meeting people from all over, etc.

I love cruising but really love DCL cruising. there is something for everyone.

MJ

Did you also post this question in the regular WDW area of Dis? I have a feeling you'll get a few more "pro-WDW" posts there than in the DCL forum.

To answer that, we probably need a bit more information. For example, if this trip is in late September, I would totally say WDW (shorter lines, a little cooler) than DCL (Hurricane season). If the trip is over Christmas, I would totally say DCL (no hurricanes, prob goes to warm weather) rather than WDW (crowded!, possibly too cold).

All things considered, I have been to WDW probably 25 times in my 35 years and been on zero Disney Cruises. (However, 5 cruises lifetime). I am going on first DCL trip in 75 days and am very excited. But I'm also going to WDW in 35 days.

My go-to advice remains the same: Stay at Beach Club/Yacht club if you can. The pool cannot be beat for kids that age, you are walking distance to TWO parks, and that whole Boardwalk-area probably offers more for a DH that "isn't a Disney fan."

Your kids are almost at that age where they are "too cool" for WDW. Its important to indoctrinate them early, so they have those memories of WDW from when they were young and they'll continue to love it for a lifetime.

As for going on a cruise instead, it would probably be wonderful. So would a cruise on one of those floating cities that Royal Caribbean is putting out! I cannot imagine that DCL is so far and away more magical than RCL. But I CAN say that WDW is unlike any other vacation destination in the United States...and can be awesome if planned well....

People on this board are likely to be more pro DCL, but I would imagine the majority have done both WDW and DCL so they can compare. I would think that a lot of the people on the WDW forum haven't done DCL.

I agree about the Beach Club / Yacht club if it is a warm time of year. Cannot beat that plus the walkability to HS and Epcot is awesome.

I honestly hope 5 and 7 year olds aren't almost at an age where they are too cool for WDW : o

A lot of decision depends on your personality. Some people are go-go-go and do WDW commando-style, trying to do everything. DH and I are more laid-back, so a relaxing cruise is more our style. Of course some people go-go-go on a cruise too.

With a Disney cruise you get the magic of the mouse but it's not as crowded. And it's not a thrill ride, unless you get into choppy seas. :eek:

I would go for the cruise, no question. But I am also a Disneyland AP who cannot stand heat or long lines, so WDW sounds like torture to me. I will have to go eventually, because my husband wants to go and my kids will want to one day, too, but we're not going until we afford to tack on a cruise afterwards so I can recover.

If it's YOUR birthday, do the cruise so you can relax and be on vacation, too.

I'm in the same thought. Before I moved to WA I lived within 10 minutes of Disneyland (okay maybe 30 minutes with traffic). I would go to DCL when I would lesson plan. But now living farther from DCL and Disney in general, if I'm going on vacation I'd like to not be stressed. Crowds, lines, running around all make me stressed.

What's great about the cruises is you can leave the rest of the world behind. You're far from internet and unless something really bad happens you don't have to call anyone. And DCL has the best of both worlds: Disney but I can read fiction, lounge on a chair facing the ocean, and oh yeah Disney!

What do you guys suggest? This will probably be the last Disney trip, since my hubby really isn't a Disney fan or a cruise fan either. But, since it's what I asked for my birthday gift - he can't complain about it.

Since it's your gift, go ahead and be a bit selfish, ignore the others and pick what you'd prefer. ;)

If you really want to worry about the other travellers, I'd lean slightly towards the cruise side. It's not a total 24-hour a day immersion into all things Disney and it can be much more enjoyable for non-Disney fans. Most lines are shorter on the ships--none are hour-long waits, but the AquaDuck and dinner lines can come close. All-in-all, the cruise can be a much more relaxing and fun vacation.

If things work out well, the cruise can warm DH up for a trip to WDW in the future :goodvibes

I've done both and in our opinion the cruise did not have the same "magic" as going to DW.

It was great but other then seeing Disney characters didn't feel any different then any other cruise, but I'm sure I'm in the minority.

Either will be great.

WDW.

As an adult, I love cruising and the parks now seem so busy and hectic and take so much planning.

However, with a 5 and a 7 year old - I would have to go with the parks - they are a great age (old enough to do almost everything, young enough to continue to see the magic in their eyes).

My family (my husband and I, our two kids 7 and 4 and my mom 60) just completed our second cruise. We have been to DL a number of times (as recent as June for the opening of Cars land) and WDW twice (before the cruises). Both times everyone in our party confirmed that the cruise is by FAR better. My kids both said that they'd pick the Disney Cruise over any other holiday hands down. There's a magic to a disney cruise with a feeling that it is constantly magical from morning through to night (including sleeping in the "magically" created bunk and bed each night) that hasn't been recreated on any holiday we've been on.

I've only done one cruise but I'd vote cruise in a heart beat. We did the parks often when the kids were young and while they enjoyed it, and we did too, the cruise is so much more relaxing while still being fun. Do the parks in 3 or 4 years when they're better able to handle the delays and long hours.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter