• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney Cruise magazine article

Minnie&Mickey

I want to live at the Fort!
If you have a Kroger grocery store nearby, you might want to check out the magazine section. About a week ago I picked up a magazine called "travelgirl." I had never heard of the magazine before, but it had two women and Minnie Mouse on the cover, so it caught my eye. The main article is about Disney's Animal Kingdom Resort, but there is also a nice long (6 pages) article about the Disney Cruise! They really sang it's praises! The issue is the July/August issue, so hopefully it is still on the stands.

Here's the cover and the site: http://www.travelgirlinc.com/
cover-20040708.jpg

Originally posted by Minnie&Mickey
If you have a Kroger grocery store nearby, you might want to check out the magazine section. About a week ago I picked up a magazine called "travelgirl." I had never heard of the magazine before, but it had two women and Minnie Mouse on the cover, so it caught my eye. The main article is about Disney's Animal Kingdom Resort, but there is also a nice long (6 pages) article about the Disney Cruise! They really sang it's praises! The issue is the July/August issue, so hopefully it is still on the stands.

The article was good but it had a few inaccuracies in it. It said the hull was navy blue so that the colours were primary colours (not that navy is a primary colour anyway). Of course, we all know it's black and that the colours represent Mickey's colours! It also said something (it's been a while since I read it) about the ship switching from Bahamas to Caribbean itineraries.

I'm with NYDisneyMom, why can't I have that job?

I always thought the hull was black too TaraBelle1069, and it looks black to me but then again I may have had my sunglasses on :).
However I read a thread on here a while back and it is supposedly blue/black or some combination and isn't considered black. Maybe someone else has more exact info on that.

Cheers,
Grumbo

I think it was either on the Travel Channel special or on the DCL dvd that they mention that the hull is a very, very dark navy blue.

That's odd...I JUST watched the Travel Channel show on DCL this morning...and they said the hull is black - in keeping with Mickey's colors and also to keep with the MDE desire to build the ships in a modern reflection of the Transatlantic Steamers of the early 1900's...

It's definatly not black. It's very close to black.

Rumor has it that...
Michael Eisner wouldn't go for black, and when they (imagineering) gave him another color by name (with "blue" in it's name) he went for it.

I guess that someone who is going on a 7 night cruise will have to go to the Navigators Series and ask the ships officers if the hull is blue or black.

Anyone see this magazine anywhere else other than Kroger? According to their website, it's a new magazine.

Originally posted by jrabbit
It's definatly not black. It's very close to black.

Rumor has it that...
Michael Eisner wouldn't go for black, and when they (imagineering) gave him another color by name (with "blue" in it's name) he went for it.

I guess that someone who is going on a 7 night cruise will have to go to the Navigators Series and ask the ships officers if the hull is blue or black.

That's interesting. I thought the whole point of getting special permission for yellow lifeboats was to have Mickey's colours. It's probably a midnight blue or something. I have things in my wardrobe that I have to hold up to my black cat to see if they are blue or black! Too bad I can't bring my cat and hold him up against the ship. He has a Disney name but I still don't think they'd let me bring him!

Come to think of it. I found the original brochure from before the ship started sailing and the image (not a photo since the ship wasn't done yet) on the front was definitely blue. I thought that that was just a mistake.

I don't understand why Eisner wouldn't want black.

I also just watched the Travel Channel show about DCL, and they did say that the hull was black to go with the old transatlantic look.

About the life boats, they said thwe law is that life boats are supposed to be orange, but Disney asked permission to tweak the color to make it more yellow, and they were given permission.

Here's what Mickey Morgan has to say in The Magical Disney Cruise Guide at AllEarsNet.

* The colors of the vessel, red, white, black and yellow are the colors of Mickey Mouse. (OK, the hull is really painted dark blue, but you didn't hear it here).

* DCL obtained an exemption from the international SOLAS rules in order to color the lifeboats yellow rather than the usual international orange.

Everything I have read says the hull is a dark blue. However it must be a VERY dark blue!!! :hyper:

Carla

Well you learn something every day. Now I have to find out where I read that it was black. I'm glad I didn't write in to the magazine to tell them they were wrong!

Maybe Mickey is really dark blue???? (Kidding!)

This hull color discussion made me think of the show Father Ted.
There is one episode where the two main priests were discussing how only priests can special order black socks. Eveyone else gets very,very,very,very,very,very dark blue.:p

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter