Disney Cruise Line Updates Castaway Club Membership Requirements

Delta Airlines changed their program to non-expiration on miles. You have to earn status yearly for peon travelers - but you can slowly work your way to accumulating enough points for those cherished free flights, then start earning more for the next flight.

Ditto Southwest.

Not the same as a status with and extra perks - but for many people, a cost savings is enough to keep someone choosing your product. And I assume that is the point of these programs - keep your customers. And, yes, do it at minimal cost with maximum return.

I am actually surprised at the number of people who are for this change. (Not an argument - each has a right to their view).

I have no insight in the cost to maintain a database; I guess we know one of the ways Amazon is making their billions, with AWS.

My first reaction was “what do I get (or would lose) that is tangible for my status?” And more importantly, would I regret losing (or could be a deal breaker)?

Palo dinner (not a deal breaker). I have often wondered if they get any paying customers, as so many people say they can’t get brunch because P’s have snagged them all.

Check-in Line: my favorite perk, even though there is no financial aspect. With the fuss made over the temporary No Boarding Group Needed, the threat of losing status would have seemed to really cause an uproar over the potential of losing this.

Early Booking - and this is actually for $$. Very noticeable on our latest booking. The price rose in the hundreds of dollars by the time if the general public window. This would be a deal breaker on deciding whether I would rebook if I lost status.

And I would have lost status if this had happened when I took a nearly 7-year hiatus due to illness.

I truly wonder if I would have returned to cruising DCL then if the policy had been in place (I have sailed 4 times on DCL since Sep 2021, having recovered sufficiently just before cruising shut down. The irony!)

I cruise next year. I guess it gives me until November 2029 to see what else happens in the Disney realm and whether this change sticks. I am going to go on that cruise, taking it all in, as though it might be my farewell to Disney cruising. A visit to LHP and a Double Dip at CC. That would be a great finish to 17 years of cruising with Disney.

I am not a Disney-exclusive cruiser, nor a cruise-only vacationer. But I do tend to stay in hotels and fly where I earn loyalty points. I am a small fry in those worlds, but I am extended some recognition toward earning a $ tangible benefit.

Castaway Club has not rewarded me for my cruises as well as other lines’ programs would, but I chose Disney over them for the experience and an environment that matches my preferences. But if they are willing to drop my status if I take a break to save the money I need to meet their escalating prices, I will walk away.

That is the value of a loyalty program - something small can be a deal breaker. it shows their loyalty to ME.

Thank you for listening.

Last edited:
I think there is a difference between being for this change and understanding the business decision.
Sure. But there are also cruisers who welcome this change. Different people have different perspectives. No one should be surprised that someone else has a different opinion.

Its not that uncommon for people to repeat vacations. There are hundreds of thousands of DVC members. And they go to WDW over and over and over again. Many go multiple times a year.

Also a lot of people in Florida eat up those 3 and 4 day Bahama cruises. They go on those a ton of times. It's why there are so many platinum and pearl members that live in Florida.
I feel like every time I sail on one of those cruises there are a very high percentage of first cruisers. If you sail on a TA or Hawaii cruise or some other long cruise.The

The guests are primarily platinum and above.

If there truly are too many pearl cruisers doing short cruises that seems like an easy problem to remedy.

This change saddens me. It takes us years to save up for a Disney cruise so now the threat of losing our status doesn't help. It's already far more difficult to move up compared to other cruise lines so this change is just another negative.

We absolutely love DCL but are trying RC next week as DCL was double the price and I just couldn't afford it. It will be different to be with another cruise line but I'm excited to see what they offer!
DW and I matched our DCL Gold to MSC in 2019 and haven't looked back to DCL since. Not only did we move up to DIAMOND status faster than is possible with DCL to Plat/Pearl, we also cruise at the Verandah prices on DCL but in Yacht Club on MSC, which FAR EXCEEDS the experience/perks of DCL Concierge.

We enjoyed our RC cruises and hopefully you will also.

Delta Airlines changed their program to non-expiration on miles. You have to earn status yearly for peon travelers - but you can slowly work your way to accumulating enough points for those cherished free flights, then start earning more for the next flight.

Ditto Southwest.

Not the same as a status with and extra perks - but for many people, a cost savings is enough to keep someone choosing your product. And I assume that is the point of these programs - keep your customers. And, yes, do it at minimal cost with maximum return.
If something happened in my life and I could not cruise for five years and I ended up losing my pearl status I would never cruise DCL again It’s a slap in the face to a loyal customer. I’d be done.

Yeah, I 100% don’t get that. Seems pretty short-sighted to me for especially people with 20+ cruises.
The castaway benefits are nothing to cry over losing, but I've spent a lot of money on DCL and even that doesn't matter. It''s the memories. My kids have grown up cruising DCL from kindergarten to young adults so for Disney to say that doesn't matter...sorry life got in the way in you couldn't cruise for 5 years, but we're throwing out your status...not cool at all Disney.

Here is an idea I thought of this morning. Not saying it’s a great one…

If goal is to weed out dead accounts (though am sure the initial / additional thought was pressure to cruise), they could offer a Castaway Club extension package.

Every five years you can pay some token amount ($100-150) to extend your benefits for five years, and you receive a unique “hope to see you real soon” DCL inspired item(s) by current status, also changing (looking at you sling bags) in return. Maybe a lithograph with an ornament or some such collection.

I know a counter argument would be what about those loyalists that sailed in the five years.

It’s revenue generating and less of a turd in the punch bowl vibe.

Here is an idea I thought of this morning. Not saying it’s a great one…

If goal is to weed out dead accounts (though am sure the initial / additional thought was pressure to cruise), they could offer a Castaway Club extension package.

Every five years you can pay some token amount ($100-150) to extend your benefits for five years, and you receive a unique “hope to see you real soon” DCL inspired item(s) by current status, also changing (looking at you sling bags) in return. Maybe a lithograph with an ornament or some such collection.

I know a counter argument would be what about those loyalists that sailed in the five years.

It’s revenue generating and less of a turd in the punch bowl vibe.
You can already extend with a placeholder cruise. I think what none of us know is if they will reinstate your status once you take a cruise or if you have to start at square one. Personally, I think they will reinstate. For example, you don’t take a cruise for six years. The next cruise you get zero benefits, but then if you book and travel within five years you get your benefits again. That seems reasonable to me.

Any idea how we can find out?

Any idea how we can find out?
Has anyone actually been removed from the Castaway Club yet? I've seen 1 report of a reservations castmember saying someone who hadn't cruised in over 5 years would be removed, but haven't seen any reports of people who expected to book activities or do online check-in as Silver/Gold/Platinum/Pearl and haven't been able to. It is possible that DCL is considering making this change but hasn't actually done so yet.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter