Disney Cruise Line: Simulated Test Sailings With Volunteers Beginning June 29

Following this thread with so much interest and hope, we're booked on the Dream on 10/8 for HOTHS, at this point though we don't even know if we'll be allowed into the US (from the UK). So much to hope for.

I also saw an article in FL today confirming the Dream will arrive in Canaveral 6am tomorrow, do a quick turn around and depart again at 4pm for a 2-night test cruise.

I don't recall the requirements for the number of test cruises (is 1 enough?) but it seems like this would give enough time to do follow up COVID testing for an 8/9 cruise with guests. (I think that's your cruise?)

I don't recall the requirements for the number of test cruises (is 1 enough?) but it seems like this would give enough time to do follow up COVID testing for an 8/9 cruise with guests. (I think that's your cruise?)
Just one test as long as there are no issues. Other cruise lines have completed their test and gotten approval from CDC within a matter of days.

I am not on the 8/9 (thankfully) but others here are like CamColt. I'm on the 9/3, so close but still sweating bullets. If they don't tell us protocols by Monday, I may rethink moving the cruise out to next year.

I am not on the 8/9 (thankfully) but others here are like CamColt. I'm on the 9/3, so close but still sweating bullets. If they don't tell us protocols by Monday, I may rethink moving the cruise out to next year.

I would hope that they would release some sort of statement based on the test sailing experience. You may want to give it a few days after the test sailing completes. But I totally understand your position.

We're going on 10/1 out of San Diego. By all appearances it looks like they are trying to make the west coast sailings happen. They're signing contracts and CMs are supposed to be arriving late August. The first revenue sailing from SD is supposed to be 9/24.

True- but the Bahamas have nothing to do with the ships being able to sail from the US
All of Disney's ships are registered in the Bahamas and sail under the laws of the Bahamas (in addition to the regulations imposed by their port cities). I expect the Bahamas to be pretty hands-off when it comes to onboard operations though--they're a flag of convenience for a reason.

Last edited:
All of Disney's ships are registered in the Bahamas and sail under the laws of the Bahamas (in addition to the regulations imposed by their port cities). I expect the Bahamas to be pretty hands-off when it comes to onboard operations though--they're a flag of convenience for a reason.
The Bahamas are requiring health clearance for all passengers and crew porting at the island, regardless of if they are disembarking.

Unvaccinated travelers have to upload test results. Vaccinated travelers have to upload proof of vax.

Additionally as of Sunday July 18th, the CDC Guidelines become recommendations to the Cruise Industry!
So none of the cruise lines seem to be behaving in a way where they assume the CDC Guidelines become just "recommendations" on Sunday. You would think so, but DCL is doing a test cruise on Saturday, and some here assume that by the time the ship returns, the test cruise is moot. It doesn't make sense, yet they are doing it. Do they know something we don't? Many cruise lines still have test cruises scheduled for the next few weeks and months. Only time will tell how this all plays out. I think for now, DCL is behaving as business as usual when it comes to the CDC.

True- but the Bahamas have nothing to do with the ships being able to sail from the US
Any ship that departs the US must meet the health requirements of their destination. All the more frustrating that DCL has told US customers nothing...do we need to fill out paperwork because our cruise goes to the Bahamas? No idea.

Unless Disney chooses to make the US sailing staycations
Not legal...only Alaska sailings are allowed to go without stopping in a foreign port. I would have loved a cruise to nowhere if that was all that was allowed, but US law prevents it as of now.

So none of the cruise lines seem to be behaving in a way where they assume the CDC Guidelines become just "recommendations" on Sunday. You would think so, but DCL is doing a test cruise on Saturday, and some here assume that by the time the ship returns, the test cruise is moot. It doesn't make sense, yet they are doing it. Do they know something we don't? Many cruise lines still have test cruises scheduled for the next few weeks and months. Only time will tell how this all plays out. I think for now, DCL is behaving as business as usual when it comes to the CDC.
Cruise lines are under a microscope right now and I don't imagine any of them will waver from the guidelines in any significant way even if they're optional. The current version of the CDC guidelines were developed jointly by the cruise industry and the CDC (apparently twice weekly meetings for the last several months), and represent something that almost all of the big players in the industry have said is reasonable and workable. The last thing they want are news stories that show that they're acting contrary to CDC guidance (especially if someone gets sick).

Just one test as long as there are no issues. Other cruise lines have completed their test and gotten approval from CDC within a matter of days.

So again 1 test cruise per Line right? not per ship?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter